• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Dev Kit Stats Leaked? Cortex A57, 4GB RAM, 32GB Storage, Multi-Touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hermii

Who is going to buy this to play multiplatform games in the home anyway? All of us already own a PS4, Xbox one or PC which will give superior performance.

If you are buying multiplatform games on this thing, you are sacrificing performance for portability which is a great tradeoff for many people, but then they shoudnt complain about worse graphics.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Who is going to buy this to play multiplatform games in the home anyway? All of us already own a PS4, Xbox one or PC which will give superior performance.

If you are buying multiplatform games on this thing, you are sacrificing performance for portability which is a great tradeoff for many people, but then they shoudnt complain about worse graphics.

As I said in the other thread, unless Switch was as powerful as Scorpio it wouldn't have gotten the best version of a multiplat anyway. But playing these games in bed, on the shitter, on the way to work? You don't get that on anything else.

MacTag

Banned
As I said in the other thread, unless Switch was as powerful as Scorpio it wouldn't have gotten the best version of a multiplat anyway. But playing these games in bed, on the shitter, on the way to work? You don't get that on anything else.
There's also the greater potential for local multiplayer. Not just on one system but with multiple consoles, that could also make a real difference for some.

ozfunghi

I do not own any Sony console. I do not own a MS console. I own a gaming capable laptop but i do not play games on it. Is that ok with you?

I also don't know if this was a random remark of yours, or if it was a response to the discussion that was going on. In any case, i'll take the trade-off portability/inferior graphics, but that doesn't mean i should be ok with lazy, unoptimized ports.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

PSVita cross buy ;)?

tkscz

Actually its remote play and works really well for certain games

Certain games and pretty sure you need to have a Wifi connection for it. Meaning on subways with no/bad wifi, buses, cabs, ubers/lyfts and other public transportation, it's not really usable.

Certain games and pretty sure you need to have a Wifi connection for it. Meaning on subways with no/bad wifi, buses, cabs, ubers/lyfts and other public transportation, it's not really usable.

Yep but great for the shitter and bed, not for the train but plenty of amazing games to play natively on the train have been playing it 2 hours+ a day for well over 4 years now on my commute and have a big backlog, but i like indies. Hey i was just correcting the other bloke as is remote play not cross play! Anyway i am intrested if the battery life (with pro controller connected wired/wireless) is over 3 hours and price is reasonable would love to play zelda on my commute. Aslo hope that you don't have to charge via the dock and can get a normal plug for the bad train delay days/forgot to charge the night before etc.

For someone like me .. I refuse to buy a ps4 or a xone because I own a good gaming PC. I can play 95% of the games both those system play. When I play on a ps4 or a xone I am shocked sometimes at the frame rate and image quality of some games... I played the demo version of the new FF game and it was washed out and locked at 30 frames on the ps4.. Rocket League even on both systems looks so bad compared to PC with just basic visual quality settings on.

For me I buy Nintendo because it has games that ill never see on the PC that have a completely different art style compared to most games. I am ok missing Uncharted because I have Tomb Raider.. I also get Gears of War and Halo Forge on pc so I am ok with not having an Xone... But I cant miss Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, and or Smash because nothing out there compares. I know Nintendo isnt going to have the best specs .. but I can always count on their games being fun and different than what I could get on the pc / ps4 / xone.

Astral Dog

For someone like me .. I refuse to buy a ps4 or a xone because I own a good gaming PC. I can play 95% of the games both those system play. When I play on a ps4 or a xone I am shocked sometimes at the frame rate and image quality of some games... I played the demo version of the new FF game and it was washed out and locked at 30 frames on the ps4.. Rocket League even on both systems looks so bad compared to PC with just basic visual quality settings on.

For me I buy Nintendo because it has games that ill never see on the PC that have a completely different art style compared to most games. I am ok missing Uncharted because I have Tomb Raider.. I also get Gears of War and Halo Forge on pc so I am ok with not having an Xone... But I cant miss Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, and or Smash because nothing out there compares. I know Nintendo isnt going to have the best specs .. but I can always count on their games being fun and different than what I could get on the pc / ps4 / xone.
Not even for Persona and Nier Automata?

Not even for Persona and Nier Automata?

It may be a different to a person who is deeply into RPGs, which I am not. But keep in mind Nintendo gets a lot of RPGs in different flavors like Bravely Default, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Yok-ai, Zelda (pushing it), Monster Hunter, Persona (not as of late), Code name Steam, Shin Megami Tensei, Animal Crossing, Dragon Quest, FF and so on..

Granted some are not as vast and in detail as what you get on other consoles .. but they have their own unique spin. And if the switch happens to take off you may see some others jump on board.

EDarkness

I would. In order to have pointer controls, I would easily buy third party games on it. If I can play ME: Andromeda with pointer controls or Battlefield with pointer controls I'll be there day one.

I don't care that much about super high graphic fidelity, though, I think the NS will perform pretty well when docked, so I'm not worried about that, either.

ozfunghi

So, a poster in another thread who claims to know some things, says this leak is correct. NateDrake also said the leak is a good indication of what to expect.

The dev kit leak gives a decent enough idea of what to expect.

Already talked to mods. Don't worry about me. Not gonna drop the bigger things I know that haven't been mentioned elsewhere, but if they get leaked I'll be happy to confirm.

I don't know anything about software in development, only hardware.

Edit: Was willing to show a few things to mod team as evidence, with the hopes that they would post and keep me anonymous. They said they won't post those kinds of things for other posters. So I won't divulge any extra spicy info, just basic stuff like RAM here in this thread. I think the specs were leaked in another thread anyway. I don't follow these threads too much tbh, because I already know (most things anyway).

Schnozberry

The RAM amount is acceptable, but if that bandwidth would be pretty lame.

There are ways around having a slower main memory pool. Previously with the Wii U they used EDRAM on die to get around it, much like the Xbox One's ESRAM, and with the 3DS they just widened the memory bus to such a degree that it was a non-issue. Expanding the caches on chip or using ESRAM would help alleviate the problem.

I have confidence Nintendo wouldn't cripple themselves in this way. The Iwata Asks on the Wii U hardware design indicates they are keenly aware of issues with memory bandwidth and latency.

Schnozberry

Nvidia's site says the X1 is only 4 cores but I have seen other say it's 8....which is it?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-x1-processor.html

Then the shield site says 8...

https://shield.nvidia.com/blog/tegra-x1-processor-and-shield

Does nvidia not count the a53's?

The Tegra X1 is a quad core chip, because all 8 cores can't be used simultaneously. Each core has a "shadow core" that activates for low power modes. The A53 are there, but not in the sense that they can be used concurrently with the A57's.

I think I should of worded my question properly but how much more would 8GB of ram cost compared to 4GB? Or is it something we can't know.

Schnozberry

So, a poster in another thread who claims to know some things, says this leak is correct. NateDrake also said the leak is a good indication of what to expect.

Nate later clarified after I asked, and said he still thinks the final unit is a Pascal based GPU.

Personally, I feel this lines up with the rumor about the USB C dock connector, because no version of Tegra X1 ever supported USB 3.1. You can use USB C connectors with older USB standards, but they wouldn't be compatible with newer features like HDCP video, so it would be useless as a dock port.

ozfunghi

Nate later clarified after I asked, and said he still thinks the final unit is a Pascal based GPU.

Personally, I feel this lines up with the rumor about the USB C dock connector, because no version of Tegra X1 ever supported USB 3.1. You can use USB C connectors with older USB standards, but they wouldn't be compatible with newer features like HDCP video, so it would be useless as a dock port.

I read Nate's reply. I'm also still thinking Pascal and i don't think Nates response contradicted that either. He said a good indication of what to expect, he didn't say it would match exactly.

vern

From the other thread... again I don't follow these threads too much, but has it been leaked elsewhere that there is a record/capture button and rumble yet?

I mean, they are pretty obvious inclusions I think, but I haven't seen anyone mention it.

I read Nate's reply. I'm also still thinking Pascal and i don't think Nates response contradicted that either. He said a good indication of what to expect, he didn't say it would match exactly.

I agree with him that it is a good indication of what you should expect.

Doctre81

The Tegra X1 is a quad core chip, because all 8 cores can't be used simultaneously. Each core has a "shadow core" that activates for low power modes. The A53 are there, but not in the sense that they can be used concurrently with the A57's.

Do all big.little configurations work this way?

Vena

From the other thread... again I don't follow these threads too much, but has it been leaked elsewhere that there is a record/capture button and rumble yet?

I mean, they are pretty obvious inclusions I think, but I haven't seen anyone mention it.

It was mentioned before, I believe yes.

The bigger unknowns are really around the Pascal chip, I think. Otherwise, its about software and cost.

ozfunghi

Actually i think someone reported it prior to the reveal, but i could be mistaken.

BuggyMike

I agree with him that it is a good indication of what you should expect.

I know you cant say what it is, but have you heard of a final spec? Like are there already numbers that you can compare this to to know generally how close the leaked specs are?

We've heard of (and now seen in pictures) the Share button, but not much about how it's used. Also one of the sources talked about rumble being more advanced, similar to Vive's controller.

phanphare

Banned

yeah laura kate reported on the the switch having something of a share button

force feedback too, iirc

vern

I know you cant say what it is, but have you heard of a final spec? Like are there already numbers that you can compare this to to know generally how close the leaked specs are?

I said before (and Nate too, but don't want to speak for him) things may look slightly different, but the leaked specs are pretty much what you should expect. I wouldn't expect Pascal tbh...

Not trying to be coy and I'll be around to confirm future leaks which I'm sure are coming, but the few non-hardware spec related things I know I can't really be the first to talk about.

Ok for real I'm out for a few hours. Trying to get ripped at the gym lol. I'm sure there will be more discussion, if anyone asks me anything and I am able to help at all I'll reply later.

jdstorm

Banned
Yep but great for the shitter and bed, not for the train but plenty of amazing games to play natively on the train have been playing it 2 hours+ a day for well over 4 years now on my commute and have a big backlog, but i like indies. Hey i was just correcting the other bloke as is remote play not cross play! Anyway i am intrested if the battery life (with pro controller connected wired/wireless) is over 3 hours and price is reasonable would love to play zelda on my commute. Aslo hope that you don't have to charge via the dock and can get a normal plug for the bad train delay days/forgot to charge the night before etc.

However the Vita Crossbuy deal is a worse version then the NS version. Smaller screen. Worse quality screen, lower overall resolution. Those are some significant drawbacks.

MuchoMalo

Banned

That was the only reservation about calling these specs either fake or outdated. Now it's safe to say that this is just a Jetson board spec sheet and nothing more.

Schnozberry

Do all big.little configurations work this way?

It's a mix. Some chips like Samsung Exynos use heterogenous multi processing to access all 8 cores separately. This is the most powerful big.little setup. Others use in kernel switching, which pairs them together and moves tasks seamlessly for low power operation to the A53 cores.

Nintendo can customize their final design to work any way they want.

BuggyMike

I said before (and Nate too, but don't want to speak for him) things may look slightly different, but the leaked specs are pretty much what you should expect. I wouldn't expect Pascal tbh...

Not trying to be coy and I'll be around to confirm future leaks which I'm sure are coming, but the few non-hardware spec related things I know I can't really be the first to talk about.

Ok for real I'm out for a few hours. Trying to get ripped at the gym lol. I'm sure there will be more discussion, if anyone asks me anything and I am able to help at all I'll reply later.

Thanks for the info.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Any particular reason?

With only 4GB I'd assume that they want to stick to a single stacked die. Also, Nintendo temds to like to have breathing room when it comes to RAM, so if 3.2GB is avaliable for games, Switch is likely less than 3.2x as powerful as Wii U. In that case it shouldn't need a fan or have battery issues if it's Pascal. It's safe to say that we're looking at a modified TX1, which would have the battery life and cooling issues. I guess Nintendo still wants to stick to proven technology. :/

Maybe all of these specs are real after all and the only thing Nintendo changed compared to the TX1 was that they removed the A53s.

Vena

With only 4GB I'd assume that they want to stick to a single stacked die. Also, Nintendo temds to like to have breathing room when it comes to RAM, so if 3.2GB is avaliable for games, Switch is likely less than 3.2x as powerful as Wii U. In that case it shouldn't need a fan or have battery issues if it's Pascal. It's safe to say that we're looking at a modified TX1, which would have the battery life and cooling issues. I guess Nintendo still wants to stick to proven technology. :/

Maybe all of these specs are real after all and the only thing Nintendo changed compared to the TX1 was that they removed the A53s.

You're getting desperate for bullshit because the bolded is beyond dumb. This wouldn't be a linear multiplicative comparison unless we were looking at identical architectures with different numbers slapped on them.

MuchoMalo

Banned
You're getting desperate for bullshit because the bolded is beyond dumb. This wouldn't be a linear multiplicative comparison unless we were looking at identical architectures with different numbers slapped on them.

I didn't say that it was an exact science, but it's a safe assumption.

So...if these specs are true, what's it mean price wise?

Honestly with such old tech it could probably hit $200 if Nintendo wanted. Thus, expect $250.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom