• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moose84

Oh look the main character in Horizon is hunting a robot dinosaur. Just as she does in every single other gameplay trailer we've ever seen. Is there anything more to that game? I don't care if it looks impressive from a graphics POV, I know which game I'd rather play and it's Zelda all day long.

Caelus

And FYI - I am a MASSIVE Nintendo fan. I'm just getting sick and tired of Nintendo screwing us Nintendo fans over and over again by releasing under-powered hardware generation after generation.

You make the worst possible comparison to make BotW seem as bad as possible.

Zelda is not the most technically impressive game Nintendo has done, they've had to cut corners to make sure their physics engine and open world can run on even the anemic Wii U, but artistically the game is still beautiful and there are hours upon hours of gameplay footage to demonstrate that.

Tz7XxqU.gif

We also know the Switch version has a stable framerate and improved draw distance, at the very least.

Only about four more days, guys.

I also just realized someone posted that .gif... oops, haha

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I don't know why, but I have this absolutely HORRIBLE feeling in my gut that when the presentation begins, the very first glimpse of gameplay footage we see (of whatever game it is) is going to look like utter shit when compared to PS4/XB1 games and it' going to hit us all like a ton of bricks that Switch games do indeed graphically look like Wii U games.

I'm just getting that feeling for some bizarre reason.

People should definitely keep their expectations in check regarding visuals. Personally a console that can do WiiU visuals at 1080p with hopefully some other improvements like better textures and anti aliasing + the option to take every single game on the go with the games rendering at 720p native on the small screen (an incredible leap over 3DS) is much more exciting than a bog standard Nintendo home console which would probably fall far short of XB1 specs anyway.

With regards to the event I'm hoping for a Breath of the Wild story trailer, some dungeon footage, lot's of Mario Switch gameplay, lots of info on all the additional content to MK8 / Smash WiiU / Splatoon, the reveal of Pikmin 4 and Luigi's Mansion 3 (these two will be the big visual treats imo) and teases of the new Fire Emblem, 2D Metroid, Xenoblade and FZero. If I get all of that I shall be one happy man indeed.

Toparaman

Banned
I don't know why, but I have this absolutely HORRIBLE feeling in my gut that when the presentation begins, the very first glimpse of gameplay footage we see (of whatever game it is) is going to look like utter shit when compared to PS4/XB1 games and it' going to hit us all like a ton of bricks that Switch games do indeed graphically look like Wii U games.

I'm just getting that feeling for some bizarre reason.

If it hits you like a ton of bricks then you've been in denial for a long time. There's no bizarre reason at all, just good old logic. That feeling in your gut is reality.

Going by every piece of footage that Nintendo has released of games supposedly running on Switch, we have yet to see anything that wouldn't run on a marginally more powerful Wii U. Nintendo has little to gain from the Switch reveal video hiding the true power of the console. The most graphically intensive game showed was a Skyrim remaster.

Then you take in price and battery life considerations. Then you look at everything Nintendo has said about their approach to competing with Sony and MS.

There's no reason to believe that the Switch is going to be in the same league graphically as PS4/XB1, and plenty of reasons to believe otherwise.

None of the power that any of these consoles have has lead to any better gameplay. Like the only answer i can give is battlefield player count and shadows of mordor nemesis system. Horizon might be graphically impressive but everything gameplay wise has been much more tantalizing zeldas way.

Not

Banned
Yes...yes I do when compared to what we are seeing on PS4/XB1 (e.g. Zelda: Breath of the Wild vs Horizon Zero on PS4).

l46CgAFbiQSG60gSc.gif

Instead we get this...

modal_ss_01.jpg

And FYI - I am a MASSIVE Nintendo fan. I'm just getting sick and tired of Nintendo screwing us Nintendo fans over and over again by releasing under-powered hardware generation after generation.

I mean, I gotta agree. Nintendo's not trying anymore on that front because they think they can get away with it after the Wii, and that blows.

KingBroly

Banned
People need to make a guide on how to make comparisons so bad ones are few and far between. The above is quite frankly embarrassing and comes across as shilling to me. The whole 'I'M A MASSIVE NINTENDO FAN' has me eye-rolling. No fan, of ANYTHING, needs to clarify, what they are a fan of. It will show through naturally.

If all MK8.5 did was add Block Fort and be the only Battle Mode Map with Online, it'd make it the best MK game ever by default. That's all you need.

I mean, I gotta agree. Nintendo's not trying anymore on that front because they think they can get away with it after the Wii, and that blows.

This is an incredibly simplistic view on things, i don't believe for a second that's why nintendo is going for less powerful consoles.

Also lets not forget that the switch is a handheld and by far the most powerful dedicated handheld ever released.

People need to make a guide on how to make comparisons so bad ones are few and far between. The above is quite frankly embarrassing and comes across as shilling to me. The whole 'I'M A MASSIVE NINTENDO FAN' has me eye-rolling. No fan, of ANYTHING, needs to clarify, what they are a fan of. It will show through naturally.

If all MK8.5 did was add Block Fort and be the only Battle Mode Map with Online, it'd make it the best MK game ever by default. That's all you need.
I need Diddy Kong back for it to be perfect. At least King Boo looks like a possibility

I was under the impression that Nintendo went with less powerful hardware so that their games wouldn't be nearly as expensive to make as most AAA games. Breath of the Wild for example only needs to sell two million units to break even.

Also less expensive to produce in terms of hardware cost.

It always amuses me when people compare grapics going for photorealism to Nintendo games because Nintendo has NEVER been about that life. Their games are fantastical and cartoony and their graphical styles reflect that. Just because Nintendo made a game for PS4 doesn't mean it would look anything like Horizon whatsoever, it would look like a Pixar movie. It's like comparing a live action movie to a cartoon.

If you want Nintendo games that look like Horizon you're probably never going to be satisfied. They'll look like vibrant, colorful animated movies like 3D World and Wind Waker.

Last time they tried was with Gamecube, and humanity failed spectacularly to reward Nintendo for those efforts, so I refuse to blame them.

could you imagine zelda breath of the wild in a world as richly detailed as the witcher 3's?

I'd instantly scream: Oh my god, all those wasted man hours could've gone towards additional dungeons.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Everyone should remember that even the base PS4's GPU is 10x more powerful than the WiiU GPU. PS4 Pro's GPU (where a lot of the more recent Horizon footage is coming from) is 20x more powerful.

I think considering the power difference BotW looks incredible -

The Switch version of BotW should run at 1080p native when docked while also adding a better draw distance, better textures, better anti aliasing and a more stable framerate. I think that version will hold up against any modern game visually.

could you imagine zelda breath of the wild in a world as richly detailed as the witcher 3's?

they're just not going for photorealism, and have built a game in which physics plays a FAR bigger role in anything and everything than it does in Witcher. also we wont have Epona (or whichever mount you have) being able to routinely run directly in to foliage

I'll probably play Horizon in early March and Zelda later in the month without skipping a beat. Graphics have never been a focus for me when it comes to video games. BotW looks just fine.

antonz

What is the likely hood Nintendo is able to keep the rest of the surprises a secret until the actual event?

No more leaks this week?

I really do not expect anything unless a Media leak happens. The Leakers around our parts are more or less sitting on their hands now to let the event have its moment.

I'll probably play Horizon in early March and Zelda later in the month without skipping a beat. Graphics have never been a focus for me when it comes to video games. BotW looks just fine.

My thoughts exactly, both games look really good in terms of art style, at times I was wowed by some scenes in both games. But from what I've seen, BotW looks is mechanically dense with physics systems and the such and has a high level of interactivity with the. Horizon isn't that kind of game, it's much more about the combat and the tools you have for combat.

Yes...yes I do when compared to what we are seeing on PS4/XB1 (e.g. Zelda: Breath of the Wild vs Horizon Zero on PS4).

l46CgAFbiQSG60gSc.gif

Instead we get this...

modal_ss_01.jpg

I mean, I know Horizon looks incredible but if you're going to use cutscenes, you can do the same with Zelda
1c50549732eedeebcd66d0ff5702d437.jpg

Zelda looks very nice in that Digital Foundry analysis video (nearly everything Nintendo's captured looks awful quality wise), but I really do hope that the textures and LOD in the Switch version are improved, if even slightly. I'm really not expecting it though, since the small amount of gameplay they showed on Fallon looked as bad as, if not worse than, the Wii U version in those two areas.

mAcOdIn

This is an incredibly simplistic view on things, i don't believe for a second that's why nintendo is going for less powerful consoles.
Yeah, I don't think that's entirely on Nintendo. Well, for the Switch sure, that couldn't be PS4 level power in a handheld so concessions were made on purpose but frankly I think Nintendo realized that their position was that of a second or third console for most people and that they were better off trying to attract people who already owned something else as opposed to trying to compete on the level where a consumer could realistically be happy just owning a Nintendo console.

I think that was the right call.
Obama care is hopefully about to get fixed, I have faith those high deductibles will be gone and a lot more choices will become available. A metric F-Ton of doctors and health providers dropped out of Obama care and made things even worse for some people.
Lol, we're talking about people unable to get insurance before Obamacare, when the Republicans are done they'll be free of those high deductibles because they'll go back to not being insured. Not gonna lie and say those people had it well but I'm not seeing how they come out of this better than before.

On the surface it's heartening to see how much people not on the exchanges really seem to care about the cost and selection of those Americans forced to rely on the exchanges because they can't get care elsewhere but pretty terrifying once you discover that they want to help them by removing the option entirely which would lead to them being completely uninsured. Lol. Hope they never care about me that way.

Net

Are we finally getting the third Hero of Time Link game we needed to top off OOT/MM and make it a proper trilogy?

Plot twist: The Link in Breath of the Wild is actually the Hero of Time waking up in a far future.

That's why he's such a badass. He's done all this before.

Oersted

Nintendo "not trying anymore" gave me the most fun I ever had with a console, the Nintendo DS.

A compromise I can live with.

Net

Nintendo "not trying anymore" gave me the most fun I ever had with a console, the Nintendo DS.

A compromise I can live with.

Looking back on it, the DS years were definitely my peak gaming years. I'll never recapture those golden days.

Future generations will never know the glory of TWEWY and Ouendan and that's a shame.

gogojira

PS4 Pro owner and hyped for Horizon, but that's a definite shitpost and I'm going take a wild guess that if it lives up to its promise, BotW is going to be the superior experience. Maybe that comes across as fanboyish, but I'm not looking banking on GG bringing GOTY experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom