• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDGAME

Considering the way Nintendo handled releases of Amiibo, FE: Fates Special Edition, NES Mini and $99 N3DS, I'm now convinced they will not have a handle on supply when the Switch launches. Someone in another thread predicted Switch will be sold out for months and I personally believe that will be the case. Therefore I'm preordering for the first time ever as it seems this will be one of those uncommon instances where it will be absolutely necessary... otherwise I might find myself waiting for months or staring at $600 listings on eBay.

That in mind, which stores are likely to take preorders and which are the most reliable at fulfilling those preorders? Amazon? Best Buy? Thanks in advance.

I agree with you. Nintendo will not have capacity to give enough Switch for all the territories.
Make a pre-order is not a bad idea. Is there a good place that send to others countries too?

I feel like the Switch is going to be sold out for awhile too. Looks like scalpers will be making some money. I'm making sure I'm there at midnight to buy a couple.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Thanks to Mpl90 for a question!

cxt7qZW.png

What improvements do you expect from the eShop on Switch?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

cxt7qZW.png

Shopping basket (so I can buy more than 1 product at a time) and letting me pay directly with credit card/Paypal without first getting the funds into the wallet. And Paypal, did I say that?

cxt7qZW.png

Shopping basket (so I can buy more than 1 product at a time) and letting me pay directly with credit card/Paypal without first getting the funds into the wallet. And Paypal, did I say that?

What he said. Also just generally a faster experience. Loading times in the e-shop get pretty annoying.

I don't necessarily expect much of this to happen but it would be nice.

The biggest problem with the eShop for me personally is organization. If what you're looking for isn't on the front page, you gotta DIIIIIIG to find it (PSN has this problem as well, but not to this extent). I think some clear categories and consistency with the layout would do wonders.

The biggest problem with the eShop for me personally is organization. If what you're looking for isn't on the front page, you gotta DIIIIIIG to find it (PSN has this problem as well, but not to this extent). I think some clear categories and consistency with the layout would do wonders.

Or a good search function could work. It's like Netflix- such a bafflingly complex way to organize things.

AdanVC

I'm quoting this from the Jimquisition thread because I found it interesting:

In this poker metaphor, the Switch would be the good hand that they eventually push all in on. I think it's possible that they are cutting back on their marketing budget and shifting that money towards lowering the initial sales price. Which could be effective.

We will see in January I suppose.

Could this be?? I can totally see it. In fact I think it's already happening. The fact that we're still have to wait more than a month to get new info of the console could be perhaps and indicator of that. At this point the awereness of the existence of this console is off to a great start and it only needed a single 3 minute trailer to achieve that considering it already has 21 million views, making it the most viewed Nintendo video ever. If they pull out a nice and efficient presentation in January, the buzz and awereness will increase even more to the point of reaching Wii pre-release hype without the need of spending trillions of dollars on dumb marketing (*cough* like SE with FFXV*cough*cough)

You hit the nail right on the head! I will add that regardless of not being able to pay "directly" with a credit card, I appreciate that the eShop doesn't set a minimum refill value like on PSN.

In addition to what's listed above, I want to see better organization and overall speed. It would also be lovely if we could queue up downloads for previously purchased software via the web.

Doorman

cxt7qZW.png

Honestly? Extremely little, if any. I don't think the interface will be cleaned up that much from what we already have on the 3DS and Wii U, meaning baffling random shopping categories and little clear organization and searching.

They did at one point talk about using NNID and MyNintendo to make the shop viewable on mobile and other browsers, to queue digital purchases onto the system remotely, but I think they'll be extremely concerned about keeping that secure. That and I think being portable will limit their focus on digital sales, at least of full retail games.

Roo

cxt7qZW.png

A new UI design would be great. The current one looks outdated and sometimes it's a chore to navigate through.

Overall just make it snappier and it should be fine.

They did at one point talk about using NNID and MyNintendo to make the shop viewable on mobile and other browsers, to queue digital purchases onto the system remotely, but I think they'll be extremely concerned about keeping that secure.

They implemented this on Wii-U/3DS a bit ago... Most recently I was able to buy Pokemon Moon digital whilst at work. Came home to find it already downloaded onto my 3DS.

I'm quoting this from the Jimquisition thread because I found it interesting:

Could this be?? I can totally see it. In fact I think it's already happening. The fact that we're still have to wait more than a month to get new info of the console could be perhaps and indicator of that. At this point the awereness of the existence of this console is off to a great start and it only needed a single 3 minute trailer to achieve that considering it already has 21 million views, making it the most viewed Nintendo video ever. If they pull out a nice and efficient presentation in January, the buzz and awereness will increase even more to the point of reaching Wii pre-release hype without the need of spending trillions of dollars on dumb marketing (*cough* like SE with FFXV*cough*cough)

I don't know if that makes sense for them to do. Obviously Nintendo typically doesn't spend hundreds of millions on marketing for anything, but with a global launch and the potential for very high demand (I doubt it will see Wii-like numbers but who knows) they might wind up screwing themselves over if they are just allocating a fixed amount of marketing money to an unfixed amount of units to sell.

If they hypothetically sell the Switch for $175 because their marketing budget cuts saved them $250,000,000, if the Switch sells more than 10 million units within its first year they begin to lose a lot of money.

I think they'd be better off investing whatever marketing budget the Wii U had for the past few years into new games or studio acquisitions.

Basically to have same functions as Xbox live store (easy shopping, mobile version, recommendations) but with Nintendo twist (MUSIC!, clean UI.)

They did at one point talk about using NNID and MyNintendo to make the shop viewable on mobile and other browsers, to queue digital purchases onto the system remotely, but I think they'll be extremely concerned about keeping that secure. That and I think being portable will limit their focus on digital sales, at least of full retail games.

This is basically already a thing.

Eg. http://www.nintendo.com/games/wiiu

I'd like my Miitomo friends list and clothing i've earned to be used in the social features on Switch. Would make all the time invested in it somewhat worth it, I've felt Miis have needed clothing features for awhile and it makes them a lot more personalized.

As for the eShop, I'd like for the site version to be a bit optimized. I'd like a wish list and gifting (seems like an obvious money maker, no clue why it's not a feature). I'd also like Nintendo to have more deals, at least for loyal customers. I guess that's more on the MyNintendo side of the question, but I hope they work on that for Switch's launch.

Peru

I preordered today. Unsure which store to preorder from as I'm not sure who gets the most stock.. but I can always cancel. But yeah I'm scared I'd have to wait a long time if I don't preorder.

Kneefoil

I can see there being shortages of the Switch near release, but I don't think it'll be anywhere near as bad as the NES Classic, the amiibo in the early days, or even as hard to find as the Wii was at release.

I'm going to pre-order one for myself, but I don't see the point of doing so yet because every store has just a placeholder price listed, so it's impossible to compare where I can get it the cheapest.

sphinx

the piano man
I have a question,

has it been confirmed that all switch games MUST run on both TV and tablet modes??

could a dev/pub say "This is game is for TV only and you can only play it while the tablet is in its dock"?

KevinG

I have a question,

has it been confirmed that all switch games MUST run on both TV and tablet modes??

could a dev/pub say "This is game is for TV only and you can only play it while the tablet is in its dock"?

Seems like that would defeat the purpose of the console's concept, but I've seen weirder things happen.

I have a question,

I don't believe that's been confirmed, but I am very curious how a game like Just Dance would work in portable mode. I'm guessing you'll be asked to detach and use the joycons regardless of which mode you're in.

Interfectum

I have a question,

I don't think the game is supposed to even know the difference. That's the job of the hybrid system to account for portable vs TV play.

ggx2ac

I have a question,

I couldn't see that happening.

If anything you should have said, "This is game is for touchscreen only and you can only play it while the tablet isn't docked"

We have rumours from Eurogamer and Laura Dale that the Switch has a Multi-touch capacitive touchscreen. Hence there is always the possibility it will have mobile games or touchscreen only games from third parties.

The IR remote on the bottom of the right Joy-Con doesn't indicate if it's good for Multi-touch touchscreen games unless you can reach buttons to press to simulate Multi-touch.

The only other thing I could think of is, if Nintendo releases an app to have your phone act as a virtual controller connected to the Switch so then you can use Multi-touch controls.

The only reason I don't find that to make sense is because you need to have a mobile phone. So maybe they'll sell an accessory that has a touchpad like the PS4 controller?

sphinx

the piano man
Seems like that would defeat the purpose of the console's concept, but I've seen weirder things happen.

probably like the 3D aspect of the 3DS? at the end no one really gave a damn about it and used the 3DS like a regular DS/PSP/GBA.

maybe nintendo will try to sell the hybrid concept right out the gate but as time goes by it will be perceived as a home console.

I don't believe that's been confirmed, but I am very curious how a game like Just Dance would work in portable mode. I'm guessing you'll be asked to detach and use the joycons regardless of which mode you're in.

yeah Just Dance seems in protable mode seems pointless.

I don't think the game is supposed to even know the difference. That's the job of the hybrid system to account for portable vs TV play.

it depends on how game is done.

my idea is that if 3rd parties want their 3rd party games on Switch without putting extra effort by doing a portable mode, they can just say "our game is just like its PS4 X1 counetrparts, identical, just TV and a controller, no tablet, nothing added, there, buy it"

ggx2ac

I already suggested touchscreen controls if you are playing by yourself.

However, with the Switch having a kickstand, there is nothing stopping you from propping it up, pulling out the Joy-Cons and having you and another person play the game in public in front of everyone.

(That could easily draw attention, whether it would sell for Ubisoft more copies of Just Dance due to exposure I don't know.)

Pokemaniac

What I'm more worried about personally is stuff like Rock Band which requires peripherals. Just Dance is technically playable portably (even if the screen is not going to be big enough for that to really work), but Rock Band isn't going to even be able to do that if the dongles are necessary again.

I already suggested touchscreen controls if you are playing by yourself.

However, with the Switch having a kickstand, there is nothing stopping you from propping it up, pulling out the Joy-Cons and having you and another person play the game in public in front of everyone.

(That could easily draw attention, whether it would sell for Ubisoft more copies of Just Dance due to exposure I don't know.)

Not sure how touch screen controls would work for Just Dance as that would kind of... defeat the purpose of moving your body, right? But yeah, setting it down with the kickstand and removing the joycons seems likely.

What I'm more worried about personally is stuff like Rock Band which requires peripherals. Just Dance is technically playable portably (even if the screen is not going to be big enough for that to really work), but Rock Band isn't going to even be able to do that if the dongles are necessary again.

That's a good point. I'm wondering if some games will have a label like, "Dock Mode Recommended" or something to that effect. Wireless Rock Band accessories should work fine for portable mode but having such a small screen would make Rock Band with more than 1 player very, very difficult.

DonShula

That's a good point. I'm wondering if some games will have a label like, "Dock Mode Recommended" or something to that effect. Wireless Rock Band accessories should work fine for portable mode but having such a small screen would make Rock Band with more than 1 player very, very difficult.

We were wondering over in the Lego Dimensions thread how the Switch would work with toys to life games as well. Will you be able to connect a portal directly to the handheld unit? Will there be some sort of travel mode? Or will the game just flat out not work undocked? The last option seems pretty unappealing to third party developers.

We were wondering over in the Lego Dimensions thread how the Switch would work with toys to life games as well. Will you be able to connect a portal directly to the handheld unit? Will there be some sort of travel mode? Or will the game just flat out not work undocked? The last option seems pretty unappealing to third party developers.

Err.... if the Wii U gamepad has an NFC sensor then I see no reason for the Switch tablet not to have one as well. You don't need a portal for the Wii U versions, right? Since the NFC sensor is built into the unit.

How NFC works when docked is an interesting question though. I wonder if they'll have a separate NFC sensor in the dock or if you'd have to buy a USB portal to use when docked.

Err.... if the Wii U gamepad has an NFC sensor then I see no reason for the Switch tablet not to have one as well. You don't need a portal for the Wii U versions, right? Since the NFC sensor is built into the unit.

How NFC works when docked is an interesting question though. I wonder if they'll have a separate NFC sensor in the dock or if you'd have to buy a USB portal to use when docked.

Lego Dimensions does use NFC, but puzzles in the game require up to three figures that must remain on the "portal" when in use. As a result, you can't play it with just the Wii-U gamepad.

That being said, there isn't really a reason that they can't make the Lego Dimensions portal wireless. It's just a matter of whether or not they want to.

Lego Dimensions does use NFC, but puzzles in the game require up to three figures that must remain on the "portal" when in use. As a result, you can't play it with just the Wii-U gamepad.

That being said, there isn't really a reason that they can't make the Lego Dimensions portal wireless. It's just a matter of whether or not they want to.

Oh, I didn't realize they had to be on there simultaneously. I could see portals being connectable to the USB C port on the bottom of the Switch anyway.

ggx2ac

Maybe there's an NFC reader in the Joy-Con Grip? Otherwise it's probably on the left Joy-Con, they stuck the IR port(?) on the right Joy-Con, probably there's space on the left Joy-Con for an NFC reader?

Then with the Pro Controller I still expect that to be a simplified controller like the Wii U Pro Controller, just basic controls, no gyro controls. Don't want those console gamers to be angry about gimmicks. lol

We're probably overthinking peripherals. Just make a portal or peripherals that connect via bluetooth, no need for dongles.

I don't need a dongle for the PS4 versions of the Rock Band instruments, and theoretically I shouldn't need the dongle for a simple bluetooth connected NFC portal device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom