• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to admit, Fallon has a tendency to get a little hyperbolic... "Every kid, every human, every person will be playing with this come March."

It's a little exaggerated, yeah. Though I do believe that the 5 people who manage to get one from the initial launch shipment will be having fun

dtm808

More RAM may not be necessary for that.

I wonder about that too. Considering that the OS for the 3DS can't even be 40MB, Nintendo really put some time to having more stuff without using so much RAM.

It really just comes down to good design and good programming. My phone barely reaches 1GB ram used (by android) and its buttery smooth.

saskuatch

From a gaming standpoint I look at something like the rumored 800 MB for OS RAM and think "Geez, that's 50% more than a PS3 game." 1.5 Skyrims seems like a lot of RAM for just screenshots and a friend list.

That's more a sales matter than technical. Games aren't on an irreversible treadmill of increased RAM use. If third party games are selling decently on Switch for the next 3 years, they might not be inclined to make it impossible. Sure it'll have to worry about games designed for PS5 or whatever, but that seems to be nowhere close.

Oh yeh they could make it work, I am sure they could make mass effect Andromeda run on 4gb RAM but it will look like such a blurry diarrhea mess it would have no sales.....

Oh yeh they could make it work, I am sure they could make mass effect Andromeda run on 4gb RAM but it will look like such a blurry diarrhea mess it would have no sales.....

Please recall that the PS4 almost launched with 4GB of RAM...

I don't think those games would have looked anything like blurry diarrhea...

saskuatch

Please recall that the PS4 almost launched with 4GB of RAM...

I don't think those games would have looked anything like blurry diarrhea...

it almost launched with 4gb of ram 3 years ago and they realized it was a big enough error that they did a last minute change. I am sure Nintendo will come up with amazing games for it no doubt. They have just put an unnecessary hurdle for any multi-platforms, I don't care as I game on PC primarily and I am only buying the switch for Zelda. But I really liked the idea of being able to have games like mass effect Andromeda or Fallout 4 on the go, if it they are too gimped then I won't bother with those titles..

linkboy

I'll be super disappointed if Nintendo doesn't allow Bluetooth headphones to work.

Using wireless headphones with the Switch seems like a no brainer.

Plus, I hate having to carry two pairs of headphones since the 3DS doesn't support Bluetooth.

it almost launched with 4gb of ram 3 years ago and they realized it was a big enough error that they did a last minute change. I am sure Nintendo will come up with amazing games for it no doubt. They have just put an unnecessary hurdle for any multi-platforms, I don't care as I game on PC primarily and I am only buying the switch for Zelda. But I really liked the idea of being able to have games like mass effect Andromeda or Fallout 4 on the go, if it they are too gimped then I won't bother with those titles..

RAM amount is one of the less important factors which dictates how a game runs or how it looks. Look at DOOM on PC. The download size is about 71GB (80GB after patches) due to some of the ridiculous texture sizes, yet only requires 8GB of RAM on a PC, where PC RAM needed is always far higher than console RAM due to Windows/OS overhead.

DOOM does not look like crap on a low RAM machine though, even though the textures resolution is incredibly high. Maybe, just maybe, 8GB of RAM for consoles (in reality its about 5 due to PS4 and XB1 using ~3 for OS) is kind of overkill for games running on those consoles.

Cerbero

After the Jimmy reveal i'm worried about the screen quality, i know it was showed in a studio with big ass lights but it seemed really washed out, i can't help it.

Nintendo please, use a good IPS panel

Dehnus

A while back the rumor was March 17 or close to that.

People wanted Mar10 tho for obvious reasons.

I'm just hoping it's a global launch and not a :"Oh you'll get it like in 1 year or so, just be patient! GOSH!" thing. While the rest of the world is "Switching away!" lol .

oti

Banned
I'm just hoping it's a global launch and not a :"Oh you'll get it like in 1 year or so, just be patient! GOSH!" thing. While the rest of the world is "Switching away!" lol .

Mar. 10 for the US
Mar. 17 for Europe
Mar. 17(+X) for Japan would be my guess

March 10 with that Mario game being at launch and hopefully being boosted by Super Mario Run like Pokemon was could result in a pretty good launch date for the system.

CrazyHorse

I have been thinking that the right control stick may get in the way of using the buttons. Normally the stick is to the left of the buttons, but this time it's right underneath. Just look at how Fallon was holding it - his thumb had to go over the right stick to reach the buttons.

LordKano

After the Jimmy reveal I'm worried the console will costs more than 1800 US Dollars. Why did they choose Jimmy Fallon, a rich man living in Brooklyn, to be the first person to play the game ? Because the console will be targeted only to the upper class. I know it was diffused in a show that appeals to everyone but I can't help it.

Nintendo, please, make the console affordable enough.

Pastry

Banned
Obviously I wish it was sooner but I'm okay with a March release. Between Switch and my girlfriend's birthday it's going to be an expensive month though lol.

LoveCake

Y21zhT1.jpg

Yes this is what I mean, I know I am being pedantic, but this is how it's is going to be for a lot of people with wires and cables everywhere.

If the Switch cannot be positioned in a horizontal plane then it is a serious design flaw imo.

After the Jimmy reveal I'm worried the console will costs more than 1800 US Dollars. Why did they choose Jimmy Fallon, a rich man living in Brooklyn, to be the first person to play the game ? Because the console will be targeted only to the upper class. I know it was diffused in a show that appeals to everyone but I can't help it.

Nintendo, please, make the console affordable enough.

In UK some retailers have been taking pre-orders for the console at £200 and guaranting the price so can't imagine it been more than $300 in the US.

I know if Nintendo announces there's is no Ethernet port on Jan 12 there will be a long negative topic about it. lol

I assumed it wouldn't be there, but we'll see.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yes this is what I mean, I know I am being pedantic, but this is how it's is going to be for a lot of people with wires and cables everywhere.

If the Switch cannot be positioned in a horizontal plane then it is a serious design flaw imo.

It would be exactly the same cable situation in that picture with the Switch positioned horizontally.

Lutherian

First World Problem here.

Has anyone heard rumors earlier this year about the Switch being able to use smartphones as controllers? I remember hearing about that in a leaked transcript or something for an NX presentation. Can anyone find the original source?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Should I be taking the 12th off work or the 13th? Do we know what time on the 12th the presentation will be up? Do we if preorders will be up afterwards. Will there be artificial shortage? Will I lose my mind thinking about the answers to these questions? Ahhhhhhh

Should I be taking the 12th off work or the 13th? Do we know what time on the 12th the presentation will be up? Do we if preorders will be up afterwards. Will there be artificial shortage? Will I lose my mind thinking about the answers to these questions? Ahhhhhhh
It depends on where you live.

If in America it's the 12th and more than likely will be around evening time

Debirudog

Sometimes I feel people want to make issues out of everything.

Clessidor

Based on the fact it's the 13th in Europe and Japan, I assume the presentation will take place sometime during the evening in US timezones.

Jan 12th. IT IS SO CLOSE.

What are you most looking forward to being shown off? I hope we get the official name & trailer for that Mario game. That is #1 on my radar.

Also I'd like to know what other 'secrets' about the Switch have yet to be revealed, and I think this date will shed light on those. Not sure what to expect honestly, it's exciting!

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
It's gonna be weird seeing a live presentation from Nintendo in Japanese.
The International Conference Room offers simultaneous interpretation system for up to eight languages.
Source: http://www.bigsight.jp/english/organizer/facilities/conference/

We still don't know the venue of the presentation but if they use the International Conference Room I would assume they will utilize the full scope of the simultaneous interpretation equipment.

Also, here's some info on screen sizes available:

International Conference Hall

Equipment name: Permanent screen (250 inches)
Rental fee (main unit price): 54,000 (50,000)
Specs: W5534 × H 3113

Equipment name: Temporary screen (330 inches)
Rental fee (main unit price): 129,600 (120,000)
Specs: W7320 × H4110
Source: http://www.bigsight.jp/organizer/facilities/conference/intl/index.html

Custom solutions for screens are likely available also.

inter_naz2ur3.png

Less than two weeks until Christmas now, hopefully they announce details on the event soon.

I don't see them announcing details until the first week of January. I think they want to wait after the holidays. They have to give people a week to get ready with the time schedule since we don't know the time it begins.

Welp, I'll rather have a direct targeted towards gamers then.
That's the problem. This presentation can look bad if it comes off as boring as slow because investors will be there and usually Japanese audience is quiet.

Now what's in the presentation should be exciting, but I'm worried it will be bland with how it's presented. Kimishima looks like a straight business man who will go PowerPoint by PowerPoint lol.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see them announcing details until the first week of January. I think they want to wait after the holidays. They have to give people a week to get ready with the time schedule since we don't know the time it begins.
They said this on October 27:

We’ll announce more details on when and where you’ll be able to get your hands on Nintendo Switch as we get closer to January, so be sure to follow the official Nintendo Switch Facebook page and Nintendo Switch Instagram account, or stay tuned to our Twitter for the latest updates.
Source: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/201...on-2017-coming-January-13th-2017-1149971.html

Plans can change of course.

It won't matter how it lays lol.. the cables will still come from the same area. Also who mounts a TV that niceand doesn't have money to route the cables and the power outlet up behind the mounted tv.....

Rösti;226409888 said:
They said this on October 27:

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/201...on-2017-coming-January-13th-2017-1149971.html

Plans can change of course.

Good good. I missed that.

Also, I really hope NINTENDO realizes that gamers are watching so I hope they have Treehouse going or something aside the main presentation to keep it exciting. I'm afraid Nintendo will get attacked for having a boring and slow presentation.

Maybe I'm wrong and just because investors are there doesn't mean it won't be spicy, but I can't see Kimishima doing a spicy and hype presentation.

LoveCake

Sometimes I feel people want to make issues out of everything.

It won't matter how it lays lol.. the cables will still come from the same area. Also who mounts a TV that niceand doesn't have money to route the cables and the power outlet up behind the mounted tv.....

No, it is not the cabling, what I said in my original comment was that I want to lay the Switch flat like I do with my other consoles, I don't want to stand it up vertically, but it seems that the Switch cannot be placed horizontal? one reason for this is the way the various cables attach into the Switch but nobody seems to know and there have not been any images of the Switch laying horizontally either.

I don't like my consoles standing up, I like them laying down, I have all the consoles from my SNES to 3DO to Atari Jaguar to Dreamcast to Xbox One all on shelves, If I were to get a Switch I would want to lay it in a shelf, so will it lay flat?

No, it is not the cabling, what I said in my original comment was that I want to lay the Switch flat like I do with my other consoles, I don't want to stand it up vertically, but it seems that the Switch cannot be placed horizontal and one reason for this is the way the various cables attach into the Switch.
I don't get it. I thought it has a cut out in the back for the cables and some kind of pad on the legs to lay it down?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
For reference, back on November 24th, 2010 Nintendo announced "Nintendo World 2011", a three-days public event with demos and panels for everyone as the first major possibility for the general public to try out the 3DS. At the time of the announcement, there was no notice on the exact days, location, times or schedule. More infos on those details were shared on December 28th, 2010.

http://www.3dsbuzz.com/nintendo-world-2011-games-demos-detailed/

Right now, we already know the days and the location in Japan, and technically members of the press received invitations for Switch hands-on events outside of Japan (Australia, US, Europe), which could be considered as "more information on how to try the Switch", but other details are still missing, and with a press conference being in the mix, they have to state the starting time of that at least before December ends.

radcliff

Is it possible Nintendo could have a press conference in Japan for the press while airing a Nintendo Direct for non-press members at the same time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom