• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch | Hardware Review Thread

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Sorry when your only comeback to Switch's anemic launch is 'bu bu PS4 was bad in 2013' then you've lost the plot.

The Switch isn't launching against a 2013 PS4.

This line of reasoning is asinine.

2013 PS4 wasn't launching against the 2005 360. 1991 SNES wasn't launching against the 1989 Genesis. 1989 Genesis wasn't launching against the 1985 NES.

Console launches have obvious issues directly related to...... it being a launching console. Lead time for development, length of time owning/working on the dev kits, familiarity with the hardware/API, costs of new manufacturing processes (variably reduced in the optical media era depending on which media and when launched), etc

Just because PS4 and XBONE have been out for slightly over 3 years doesn't make all of these problems magically go away.

Thus the comparison to the PS4 is 100% valid, as the strongest PS4 games at launch were largely 3rd party multi-gen titles.

If anything.. Switch is launching better than most consoles in recent generations by actually having a game at launch being lauded as "one of the best gaming experiences in the illustrious series". I think you'd have to go back to Xbox to get a similar launch (Halo).

MisterR

But ports of years old indie games and crossgen games do?

Seriously, can we stop with this PS4/Xbox launch comparisons. Ya'll are just making yourself look silly.

Not to mention I seem to remember playing Zelda on my NES, that would seem to be a new iteration of a long running franchise to me.

spekkeh

Banned
But ports of years old indie games and crossgen games do?

Seriously, can we stop with this PS4/Xbox launch comparisons. Ya'll are just making yourself look silly.
No. There's one good systemseller. That's it. After that we have to wait till April/May. If you don't like Zelda there's really no point in getting it. The argument was that there was no systemseller at all for PS4, and this was widely stated at the time which people now want to forget because it doesn't fit their narrative

Man... Il definitely be looking into options to increase/improve battery life

Clearly it cant fit a larger battery but maybe a more dense one at that form factor?

I mean cell phone batteries at that power rating are smaller right?

hmmmm

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I just watched Digital Foundry's video review (almost 18 minutes).

It's a very well presented review. Watch it guys.

That was good. Reassuring that basic battery packs will work (at least 2.1A ones), but I might want to upgrade my 7000mah one.

The joycon issue still seems odd. With the comments about interruption not being so bad if pointed at the TV, and less interruption on the right joycon, I wonder it it might be a shielding problem - the added IR camera and NFC reader might mean a less shielded chassis on the right joycon so the signals are less attenuated?

Ansatz

Like most Nintendo handhelds, waiting for the inevitable revision is usually the best option. This puts me at a disadvantage though because I don't want the inferior version of Zelda.

This was my position initially, but then they announced Splatoon 2.

e_i

Does the Switch go all the way into the dock, or does the top stick out? I keep on seeing different pictures of both. Would be annoying to have it stick out on the top like that.

Did anyone test playing portable while tethered to the AC charger?

Does it keep the power up or does the battery drain faster than the included charger can keep up with?

Sorry when your only comeback to Switch's anemic launch is 'bu bu PS4 was bad in 2013' then you've lost the plot.

The Switch isn't launching against a 2013 PS4.

Since when the heck did anyone ever compare a launching console to mid cycle consoles? We're we comparing the PS4 launch to 360's lineup games? Absolutely not.

I've seen this line of reasoning for a few weeks now, and it's pretty shocking anyone thinks it's reasonable.

It's all subjective anyway. I'm interested in more games at Switch's 'anemic' launch than I was for the entire first 6-8 months of the PS4's life.

dacalo

Reading the reviews, the console does have much potential, but I have a feeling that the console will jump tremendously in a couple of years, much like the jump from Nintendo DS to Nintendo DS Lite, with improved battery, more efficient die (or even Pascal), smaller bezel, etc.

Reallink

Has anyone mentioned how the switch is going to look hooked up to a 4k tv? Is it going to look like shit?

900p scaled to 1080p scaled to 4K is not going to look great, but the larger concern is once future games push things too far and can't hit 720p portable (see Vita), which will put docked mode at 720p or some intermediary resolution. Now that will look like shit. OG Wii era shit.

saskuatch

I am not a nintendo fan at all and I hate that they aren't third party. But Zelda looks so good I am sacrificing my 1080ti/ps4pro budget and took Friday off to line up in the cold to get it. Guess I'll have to slum it with my 980ti and regular ps4 this year.

koss424

but a problem nonetheless, no? why hasnt nintendo responded to potential solutions yet?

Did Nintendo ever respond to the WiiU gamepad losing connection when you walked too far from the tv? It's a similar problem so far as it's described. DF is describing the issue with the Joy cons are 4 meters or more away and the controller is either covered by the hand or put behind the players back.

Aroll

No. There's one good systemseller. That's it. After that we have to wait till April/May. If you don't like Zelda there's really no point in getting it. The argument was that there was no systemseller at all for PS4, and this was widely stated at the time which people now want to forget because it doesn't fit their narrative

The second point, I've been saying for years. The PS4 sold based on future promise and good marketing. It didn't actually sell (especially year 1) due to games. The first point, I disagree with personally, but it comes down to taste in games. Even as I am getting Zelda, if I didn't like it, I can still make a strong case that 1 2 Switch looks like a ton of fun with my kids and friends, Super Bomberman R looks pretty solid, and Snipperclips is already a must have title for me personally.

I recognize none of those games are system sellers, but the Nindie showcase solidified the purchase. It's about taste. Zelda is amazing, but you don't have to be into Zelda to get it. Maybe you just like great indie content? Switch will have that.

MisterR

he is really comparing your annual madden and AC game with breath of the wild... god damn

Point being while you all dismiss the new COD, Assassin's Creed or Battlefield as just another iteration, there are a lot of people who look forward to them as much as you do to a new Zelda. Those are the games that sell systems. They all sell more than Zelda does. They are the killer apps to millions of people.

Qwyjibo

I'm glad the Switch seems promising and isn't a disaster.

But reading several of these reviews just reinforces my original plan of "wait for a Switch Lite or nSwitch in a year or 2". Nintendo hasn't earned any faith to buy a console of theirs at launch.

My 3DS (and Wii U for Zelda) will give more than enough of a Nintendo fix until then.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Only in this thread you gonna see people defend Call Of Duty Ghosts.

Right? 'scust

I wonder how long it will take Nintendo to release a web browser. Seems really odd that they have a functioning web applet for game usage, yet we have no knowledge of whether it's coming.

sazzy

Does the Switch go all the way into the dock, or does the top stick out? I keep on seeing different pictures of both. Would be annoying to have it stick out on the top like that.

it sticks out

one of those Nintendo (tm) design choices

spekkeh

Banned
How about you read the actual reviews from the major gaming sites, not no-name blogs and newspapers?

Just because they don't attach a number at the end doesn't make their opinion worth less.
I found the rest to be rather similar actually. Mostly positive saying it has a lot of potential, but we'll have to wait and see if Nintendo can capitalize on it and what third parties do, and a few niggles. Overall reviews are really pretty positive, especially compared with the usual for hardware launches.

Also much more positive than Wii and Wii U.

Lifeline

DF showed Sunshine running on the og Shield at 30fps at 1080p :D

That's enticing.

What do you mean, "good stuff"? (Rhetoric question) I'd love to play all GC, N64, SNES, GBA, etc games on the go. Plenty of those games are good, it's not all about graphics. :p

I meant like the post PS1 era. GBA, SNES, etc can be emulated pretty much on anything.

Sunshine running well is good though, being able to play gamecube games on this would be pretty amazing.

Reminds me of when i was a kid and this college kid that worked for my dad would bring around his Gamecube with the mini screen attachment and he would let me use it and i thought I was living in the future. Looks like Switch will finally be a completion of that idea.

Reallink

The second point, I've been saying for years. The PS4 sold based on future promise and good marketing. It didn't actually sell (especially year 1) due to games. The first point, I disagree with personally, but it comes down to taste in games. Even as I am getting Zelda, if I didn't like it, I can still make a strong case that 1 2 Switch looks like a ton of fun with my kids and friends, Super Bomberman R looks pretty solid, and Snipperclips is already a must have title for me personally.

I recognize none of those games are system sellers, but the Nindie showcase solidified the purchase. It's about taste. Zelda is amazing, but you don't have to be into Zelda to get it. Maybe you just like great indie content? Switch will have that.

Come'on guy, no you can't. There is no market that will pay $300 for an indie machine, hell, they won't even pay $59 or $99 (see Ouya). The release calendar is more concerning than if Switches were literally blowing up Note 5 style.

maxcriden

When does the day one update drop for reviewers?

Is there a summary of the main issues reviewers had?

If anyone has read all the blurbs or all the reviews, are the impressions overall favorable?

Trying again ^^

--

So far the summary of reviews.

Pros:
* It makes a great clicking sound.
* Locks right in there, baby.

Cons:
* Possibly everything? We shall see.

Is that really the consensus?!

Come'on guy, no you can't. There is no market that will pay $300 for an indie machine, hell, they won't even pay $59 or $99 (see Ouya). The release calendar is more concerning than if Switches were literally blowing up Note 5 style.
Agreed but indie and Nintendo made games?

I'm only in for the Nintendo games.

Did Nintendo ever respond to the WiiU gamepad losing connection when you walked too far from the tv? It's a similar problem so far as it's described. DF is describing the issue with the Joy cons are 4 meters or more away and the controller is either covered by the hand or put behind the players back.

from eurogamer.net

On the face of it, our testing presents credible evidence that one controller has a more solid connection to the base unit than the other, but overall, we had few issues once the limitations of the system were known. But what is a concern is that although very infrequent, Oli's momentary controller glitches happened at very close range to the machine. In terms of the number of hours spent playing games on Switch, he's way ahead of us - and situated so close to the console, we would expect a rock solid sync at all times. It suggests that the weakness of the left controller may present further issues, at a much closer range, in a much more intermittent manner. Our testing, when combined with the range of reports from a relatively small amount of units distributed to press, does make us wonder how this will scale up to a worldwide roll-out encompassing millions of units.

sounds bad enough to me...

AdanVC

Sigh. My hype as dropped pretty significant after reading some reviews, especially the one from Wired. I'm really worried about those joycon issues. I'm in Mexico and I'm paying $480 freaking dollars to get this dumb console on day one only so that the damn joycons don't work properly? This sucks This has really put me to think about my current preorder of the console... Do I really want to pay that amount of money for a system with all those flaws?? I simply don't know anymore if I should just cancel my preorder and get Zelda on Wii U instead and wait till Switch drops in price AND Nintendo improves all the current flaws the system has. I keep having fun with my Wii U anyways.

Just this last sunday I spend 3 consecutive hours playing Splatoon and having an absolute blast online... I could keep it that way and with the advantage of having Zelda too and just for only $60 instead of $480 + $60 ... Being a Nintendo fan it's true martyrdom sometimes I think it's not worth it anymore. But oh well. At least Zelda is going to be GOAT!

KJRS_1993

I'll consider it in a couple of years time when that ridiculous price has gone down, as a replacement for my 3DS. That's where I see all the potential for this thing.

Software drives almost everything of course, but these reviews aren't encouraging. Tying the likely-awful online implementation to a subscription is a terrible idea for a console that is destined to be a "secondary" system. If you're already carrying a subscription for your primary system, paying for a 2nd inferior one really burns.

Also the $70 Pro controller is egregious. Nintendo knows everyone is going to want one because detaching/reattaching the wands every time you "Switch" looks cumbersome as hell.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I found the rest to be rather similar actually. Mostly positive saying it has a lot of potential, but we'll have to wait and see if Nintendo can capitalize on it and what third parties do, and a few niggles. Overall reviews are really pretty positive, especially compared with the usual for hardware launches.

Also much more positive than Wii and Wii U.

When big gaming sites like Kotaku, Eurogamer, IGN, Polygon, CNET are all going 'yeah, you might want to wait this one out for a bit', i'd say that Nintendo certainly didn't hit a home-run in terms of day-one excitement and value. It certainly isn't blowing reviewers away.

That doesn't mean that it isn't going to sell great or be great when the games come out, but let's at least be honest in saying that most of the gaming press is pretty middle-of-the-road on the thing right now.

Software drives almost everything of course, but these reviews aren't encouraging. Tying the likely-awful online implementation to a subscription is a terrible idea for a console that is destined to be a "secondary" system. If you're already carrying a subscription for your primary system, paying for a 2nd inferior one really burns.

Also the $70 Pro controller is egregious. Nintendo knows everyone is going to want one because detaching/reattaching the wands every time you "Switch" looks cumbersome as hell.
I want the Pro controller as a traditional controller and as my new PC controller since it works natively and has 40 hour battery life.

Top Bottom