• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Joy-Con $80, Pro Controller $70

Well yeah, both those games can also be played with just one JoyCon I believe. I assume that poster meant that wouldn't be a "legitimate" way to play.

People presuming that these won't be comfortable before going hands on, only leaves me shaking my head. We aren't hearing complaints about them coming out of all the hands on impressions.

It comes with two controllers. The only game we know of that requires two joy cons per player in MP seems to be ARMS, at least so far. everything else works with one joycon per player.

People might want an extra grip, or a pro controller, but that's going to be a matter of personal preference and not necessity.

brad-t

So the switch comes with one ac adapter for the dock but then that means it's going to be pretty much a necessity to buy an extra charger if you want to play in handheld mode for more than 3 hours right?

Or you could just ... use the same AC adapter that's hooked up to the dock?

NeoGAF has an interesting idea of what a "necessity" is.

The prices I assume aren't completely unfounded. There's a markup for sure, but I'm betting these joycons aren't absurdly cheap to produce. What upsets me is that this is likely one of the reasons the system costs so much. Money wasted to execute gimmicky concepts like "Milk" and that sandwich eating game from 1-2-Switch.

I agreed until someone brought up light gun games. If the IR Camera can function like the light guns in arcades, and we get light gun arcade game ports because of it, I take back everything bad I've said about the IR Camera and the JoyCons' price.

If not though I will forever think it's stupid and worthless and did nothing but inflate the price of the JoyCons.

HD rumble I'm actually really excited for. Now that we know the Switch Tablet can also do haptic feedback, they could do some super fun stuff with the rumble. I'd LOVE a new Marble Madness or Kororinpa where you could actually feel the marbles rolling around through the system. It could also be used pretty well in horror games too, IMO.

To be fair, most people will set their Dock up next to their TVs, and the cords are usually tucked away behind said TVs, making it something of a hassle or pain in the ass (depending on your set up) to constantly be going back behind your TV to plug/unplug the AC Adaptor.

Luckily I'm sure there will be much cheaper 3rd party AC adaptors. I mean it's a USB-C cord and then a wall plug, that shouldn't be difficult to cobble together out of spare parts at all.

Yeah if you had to unplug the cord to your PS4 or Xbox to charge the controllers when you played on the couch people would riot. There's a lot of goofy things to bitch about with the Switch but needing to unplug it from behind your TV is a legit complaint.

Does anyone know, do USB to USB-C cords exist? So theoretically, if I have that little square USB wall plug that comes with iPhones, could I plug a USB-C cable into that and charge from there? I have a power strip snaked under my couch with one of those little plugs on it for my iPhone/iPad/Xbone Pad/DualShock 4 and it'd be super sweet if I just needed the one cord to be able to use it for the Switch too.

lenovox1

I wanted an extra base and extra joy cons. I might as well just buy two systems

Yeah, it's only another $100 at that point. That's some bullshit alright.

Yeah if you had to unplug the cord to your PS4 or Xbox to charge the controllers when you played on the couch people would riot. There's a lot of goofy things to bitch about with the Switch but needing to unplug it from behind your TV is a legit complaint.

Does anyone know, do USB to USB-C cords exist? So theoretically, if I have that little square USB wall plug that comes with iPhones, could I plug a USB-C cable into that and charge from there? I have a power strip snaked under my couch with one of those little plugs on it for my iPhone/iPad/Xbone/DualShock 4 and it'd be super sweet if I just needed the one cord to be able to use it for the Switch too.

USB-A to USB-C, yes, of course. Most of them are shit, so you may want to buy officially licensed ones or just do a little research.

USB-A to USB-C, yes, of course. Most of them are shit, so you may want to buy officially licensed ones or just do a little research.

Blergh, well, as long as they're under $30 that's still better than having to buy another official Switch AC Adaptor. :\

Then buy a second AC adapter. I am not sure what anyone could expect the alternative solution to be.

A: Ugh I'm pretty much gonna have to buy another AC Adaptor aren't I?
B: Just use the one that comes with the system.
A: That means I'd have to unplug it from behind my TV, that's a pain.
B: Then just buy a second AC Adaptor.

?????

That's literally what they were bummed out about in the first place

Toki767

I wonder if, instead of buying a second dock, you could just use a USB-C to HDMI adapter to make the Switch output to a TV.

As I said in the other thread on this topic, the dock is actually the most reasonably priced of the bunch. Look up the price online of USB-C docks that have power and HDMI. Similar laptop docks cost around the same amount (sometimes more).

I went on amazon and they range from $80 to $130. Note that the cheaper docks don't seem to also power the device.

I wonder if, instead of buying a second dock, you could just use a USB-C to HDMI adapter to make the Switch output to a TV.

You also would need to be able to give it a power source since it runs at a higher clock speed when in TV mode. Otherwise the battery life would probably be like 20 minutes heh :p

):

So I think we're starting to realize the thing that is driving up the cost of Switch is USB C.
Yeah - everyone is so quick to call highway robbery without actually understanding what things cost.

While I thought the device would be cheaper, the $300 tag makes sense when you think of it as a $200 handheld and a $100 dock. I paid over $100 for my Surface Book dock, which is similar tech.

On the other hand, I do think the pricing of controllers is ridiculous. Maybe there is something in those that justifies it though.

As I said in the other thread on this topic, the dock is actually the most reasonably priced of the bunch. Look up the price online of USB-C docks that have power and HDMI. Similar laptop docks cost around the same amount (sometimes more).

I went on amazon and they range from $80 to $130. Note that the cheaper docks don't seem to also power the device.

Well That's interesting. Still sucks that the price in Europe is 330e, that's really nasty of them specially I'm south European countries were minimum salaries are like half of those in northern ones. I bet the switch is not going to do well at all over there.

brad-t

Blergh, well, as long as they're under $30 that's still better than having to buy another official Switch AC Adaptor. :\

A: Ugh I'm pretty much gonna have to buy another AC Adaptor aren't I?
B: Just use the one that comes with the system.
A: That means I'd have to unplug it from behind my TV, that's a pain.
B: Then just buy a second AC Adaptor.

?????

That's literally what they were bummed out about in the first place

But you're getting bummed about something that's inevitable and there is literally no solution to it. I just don't get it. Removing the AC adapter isn't that much of a pain for times when you're actually going to play for 3+ hours in one day without having a chance to dock it.

I'm not trying to get all defense force here, as the system does have significant compromises and value prop issues in some areas, but this isn't it.

Crayon

Yeah - everyone is so quick to call highway robbery without actually understanding what things cost.

While I thought the device would be cheaper, the $300 tag makes sense when you think of it as a $200 handheld and a $100 dock. I paid over $100 for my Surface Book dock, which is similar tech.

On the other hand, I do think the pricing of controllers is ridiculous. Maybe there is something in those that justifies it though.

The controller makes sense to me. A ds4 is 60 bucks and is not terribly special. Just a good quality controller. A joy con is 80, has a few gimmicks crammed in including what appears to be a long due enhancement to haptics, and can support two players each for party games. So with one extra controller at 80 dollars, I can support 4 players when the opportunity arises. Compare to 3 additional dual shocks at 180 dollars. Two of which would hardly ever get used, where as the two joycon sets would be used for any two player game and shared 4 player once in awhile.

So that's reasonable to me.

JoyCons include accelerometers, gyroscopes, wireless tech (bluetooth?), HD Rumble, an NFC chip, and an IR Camera, as well as whatever proprietary charging tech Nintendo put into the rails. I think the price is justified for what's in them, but I also think it's kinda bullshit that JoyCon L is the same price as JoyCon R, since L doesn't have an NFC chip or IR Camera in it.

This is not to say I think including all that tech is justified, like the IR Camera, but just saying that given what's in them the price seems kinda reasonable, especially when two 10-years outdated Wii Remotes cost the same as two not-yet-released JoyCons.

But you're getting bummed about something that's inevitable and there is literally no solution to it. I just don't get it. Removing the AC adapter isn't that much of a pain for times when you're actually going to play for 3+ hours in one day without having a chance to dock it.

I'm not trying to get all defense force here, as the system does have significant compromises and value prop issues in some areas, but this isn't it.

It just seemed like a cyclical argument. Someone realizing that, shit, I'm gonna have to drop another $30 to get a second power cord, only to be told to just use the one that's included, they respond that's kind of a pain in the ass (and depending on their entertainment system could be a major nightmare even), just be be told "well then buy a second one" when that's what they were realizing they'd have to do anyway at the start of the exchange.

There's no getting around it, for some people, the Switch is going to be a VERY expensive console. Me, personally, I don't really like handhelds, and my girlfriend is gonna get her own Switch, so that takes care of two additional JoyCons and a second Dock for us since we live together. I also don't see myself ever playing for more than 20 hours in a day so I don't need a JoyCon Charging Grip. But for people that game way more than I do, or like handheld gaming more than console gaming, or play on the go frequently, they have to buy a lot of extra shit to fit their play style. It's something that's never really been a problem for gaming before. The most expensive accessories we've had to buy in the past were just extra controllers. But now that we're merging handheld and console, it's also merging the cost of all those accessories as well. You don't need to buy two AC Adaptors for a console, or a handheld, but for a lot of people they'll have to now since Switch is both.

The controller makes sense to me. A ds4 is 60 bucks and is not terribly special. Just a good quality controller. A joy con is 80, has a few gimmicks crammed in including what appears to be a long due enhancement to haptics, and can support two players each for party games. So with one extra controller at 80 dollars, I can support 4 players when the opportunity arises. Compare to 3 additional dual shocks at 180 dollars. Two of which would hardly ever get used, where as the two joycon sets would be used for any two player game and shared 4 player once in awhile.

So that's reasonable to me.

That's a good point!

azyless

Either I have things completely wrong or you haven't looked hard at all :
Amazon_fr_aukey_usb_c.png

Jeels

I get what you guys are saying about it in terms of other docks. But from a cost of components to price charged anyone who knows anything about tech will tell you that the dock has the worst value proposition when compared to the other accessories. The components and materials are such a small cost compared to what must have gone into other stuff. Those other docks are complete rip offs too.

Scotch

The prices I assume aren't completely unfounded. There's a markup for sure, but I'm betting these joycons aren't absurdly cheap to produce. What upsets me is that this is likely one of the reasons the system costs so much. Money wasted to execute gimmicky concepts like "Milk" and that sandwich eating game from 1-2-Switch.
Yeah, this is my biggest problem with the system. What I wanted was a handheld with physical buttons, a dock and a Pro controller. That's it. But because Nintendo wanted to revive waggle, that opened up a whole can of worms. So now we have $80 miniature Wiimotes with awkward tiny shoulder buttons. Grips that may or may not charge your joy-cons. Internal batteries all over the place and a €330 system. All that so Nintendo could make some more mini-game collections. It's such a damn shame.

Crayon

That's a good point!

Thank you. I've been on switch defense force for over 24 hours now. I'd rather bitch about the actual problems
(Third party support wtf paid online wtf)
than stan for a toy but there has been this non stop onslaught of off the mark nitpicks. Feels like crazy pills.

zelas

The PS3 being $599 at launch made sense for what was in the console. That doesnt mean it made sense for the market. That's the problem people have

The PS3 being $599 at launch made sense for what was in the console. That doesnt mean it made sense for the market. That's the problem people have
That is an argument I won't dispute. What I don't agree with is "Nintendo is charging x for something that others only charge y for"

Friend: Hey man, that ARMS game looks cool, can I play with you?
Me: Sorry, but no. I refuse to pay $80 for another controller.
Friend: Well if I bought a system we could play each other online?
Me: Sorry, but no. I won't pay for online.
Friend: Oh, then we just take turns?
Me: Yeah.
Friend: Remember the good old days of local multiplayer?
Me: Yeah...:(

I'm sorry, have you been able to play local multiplayer on any other console by refusing to buy a second controller?

I'm sorry, have you been able to play local multiplayer on any other console by refusing to buy a second controller?

What's worse is that if his friend bought a Switch, then they'd be able to play couch coop with no problems at all using the JoyCons that came with the friend's Switch.

Crazyorloco

They kinda packed everything into them though. Even the Pro Controller has NFC, HD rumble and motion controls. What's interesting is that the Right Joy-con is clearly much more expensive to manufacture, yet they probably eat that price to keep it the same.

Right Joy-con has NFC right? If the build quality is great and the battery life is good on the pro controller - I'm in. Even at that price. The rumble technology used in it has had some good impressions.

Yeah, this is my biggest problem with the system. What I wanted was a handheld with physical buttons, a dock and a Pro controller. That's it. But because Nintendo wanted to revive waggle, that opened up a whole can of worms. So now we have $80 miniature Wiimotes with awkward tiny shoulder buttons. Grips that may or may not charge your joy-cons. Internal batteries all over the place and a €330 system. All that so Nintendo could make some more mini-game collections. It's such a damn shame.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Imagine the backlash (not from you, but the general public) if Nintendo removed rumble or the accelerometers and gyrosensors for their controllers. You would have a home console that lacks the features that other current consoles have.

Friend: Hey man, that ARMS game looks cool, can I play with you?
Me: Sorry, but no. I refuse to pay $80 for another controller.
Friend: Well if I bought a system we could play each other online?
Me: Sorry, but no. I won't pay for online.
Friend: Oh, then we just take turns?
Me: Yeah.
Friend: Remember the good old days of local multiplayer?
Me: Yeah...:(

Uhhhh if your friend bought a Switch you would have another pair of joycons to play each other. Also you probably won't have to pay online to link up Switches locally..that doesn't use the internet..

EDIT: oops people already responded to you much earlier.

Crayon

That's exactly where I'm at. There seems to be way more talk about the relatively reasonable aspects of this thing than the stuff that's personally alarming to me. Online especially is just a massive bummer, because for me it'll essentially be a Splatoon 2 fee, since the other MP games announced are stuff I will play in local multi 99% of the time.

The fact that I'm gonna be able to play Bomberman when I visit my brother, out of the box, no extra controller purchase, is kind of a huge deal to me. And all I need to get 4 player going is an extra $80 instead of $120. And I don't even need to use a TV to do all this. That's pretty cool for this sort of game, it's perfect for how I play games with friends.

Word. May cooler heads prevail and perhaps a short week from now we can settle into some reasonable discussion about the thing. At he moment the signal to noise ration is dire but I need to try to get a sense of humor about it and ride it out because have hardly been able to tear myself away from gaf all weekend and not in a good way.

It's a hassle. If someone is already spending all that money, might as well. Especially if you have a setup where the power outlet isn't easy to reach

Most reasonably priced seems to be the actual tablet itself which comes out to $100 when you add up the cost of the dock, joycons and the grip

I guess it goes to show how crazy their pricing is

foltzie1

That doesn't include an AC adapter or USB-C cable.
2.7 out of 5 stars in reviews, you get what you pay for with USB C lol
Which is weird because AUKEY like Anker and Monoprice tends to be a fine bargain brand.

I'm going to quote myself from another thread regarding the dock price as I don't think it seems THAT unreasonable given what is included.

I've linked this this in the speculation threads. But this is a USB-C HDMI adapter from Monoprice, it is likely the cheapest device that should be used for such comparisons, and it is $30. It doesn't include a USB-C Power adapter or USB-C cable, but there is this option from Anker that provides a reasonable comparison and it is $24 from Amazon. Finally, the dock includes an HMDI cable and this $6 Amazon Basics cable is a good comparison. The Switch dock also has a few extra USB ports in addition to the physical dock itself, but already we're at $60 retail for similar off the shelf components. Nintendo is probably making a profit on the accessories, but it may not be much depending on the retailer margin.

I also pointed out in that comment that while I don't think $90 is terrible all things considered, it didn't necessarily make it a good deal for the consumer (I'm certainly not being a second dock on a whim).

That's exactly where I'm at. There seems to be way more talk about the relatively reasonable aspects of this thing than the stuff that's personally alarming to me. Online especially is just a massive bummer, because for me it'll essentially be a Splatoon 2 fee, since the other MP games announced are stuff I will play in local multi 99% of the time.

The fact that I'm gonna be able to play Bomberman when I visit my brother, out of the box, no extra controller purchase, is kind of a huge deal to me. And all I need to get 4 player going is an extra $80 instead of $120. And I don't even need to use a TV to do all this. That's pretty cool for this sort of game, it's perfect for how I play games with friends.

It amazes me to see so many people choosing to openly ignore this aspect of the Switch. A pair of joycons can functionally be used as two controllers and just about every preview says they're much more comfortable to use than you would expect.

The vast majority of people who seem to be against the pricing are under the impression that anything other than a pro controller, or a set of joycons with a Grip isn't enough. That was certainly my impression before the previews rolled out. Now I think I might skip the pro controller entirely. It seems like the worst deal out of the whole lot.

It amazes me to see so many people choosing to openly ignore this aspect of the Switch. A pair of joycons can functionally be used as two controllers and just about every preview says they're much more comfortable to use than you would expect.

The vast majority of people who seem to be against the pricing are under the impression that anything other than a pro controller, or a set of joycons with a Grip isn't enough. That was certainly my impression before the previews rolled out. Now I think I might skip the pro controller entirely. It seems like the worst deal out of the whole lot.

Right. You probably want a pro if you want a good d-pad. The only game that seems to need a d-pad so far is SF2. Personally I'm not buying a controller just to play SF2 again. And heck, I'm more likely to buy an arcade stick.

Given what they can do, the joycons are well priced when you remember a standard wiimote was $40. And you get two with the system. If you prefer something else, you've got options and yes, those options are unquestionably expensive.

But they're not required.

Nah, he's right. Legitimate USB C docks that use the full power of USB C (Data, video, power, etc) typically run about $100 for good ones. Almost all of the cheap knockoffs or shitty ones have some drawbacks, like they can only do half throughput or can't handle charging, or they say they do everything but they have like 2-star average reviews on Amazon. I've been looking to buy one for a new MacBook Pro, and it looks like a good one will run about $100 - $130

But this with the switch is a problem of perception. Even if the technology in the controller justifies the cost, most people look at a $70 Nintendo controller -- which looks no different than the $40 Xbox/PS4 controllers -- and seems steep. I'm not sweating spending $130 for a computer dock because my computer costs $2000.

Nah, he's right. Legitimate USB C docks that use the full power of USB C (Data, video, power, etc) typically run about $100 for good ones. Almost all of the cheap knockoffs or shitty ones have some drawbacks, like they can only do half throughput or can't handle charging, or they say they do everything but they have like 2-star average reviews on Amazon. I've been looking to buy one for a new MacBook Pro, and it looks like a good one will run about $100 - $130

But this with the switch is a problem of perception. Even if the technology in the controller justifies the cost, most people look at a $70 Nintendo controller -- which looks no different than the $40 Xbox/PS4 controllers -- and seems steep.

I most definitely agree! Nintendo has done a great job of pricing the technology fairly, but it definitely looks rough compared to PS4/Xbox One. I think their biggest problem will really be not having anything else for people to compare the Switch to. People on here seem to be losing their minds trying to decide whether they consider Switch a "console" or a "handheld".

I remember having a very similiar problem when I worked at a Microsoft store. The Surface Pro 4 was a fantastic device, but so many people thought it was a tablet like the iPad with limited functionality. I think Nintendo is going to face similiar perception issues with the Switch and I hope they can overcome them. I think letting people have some hands-on time will be their biggest aid.

japtor

I've been thinking about it and typically when you play arcade light gun games you're less than 2 feet from the screen. If that's actually the range of the IR Camera on the JoyCon R, I wonder if, like the $15 racing wheel 2-pack, Nintendo could make gun shells like the Wii Zapper for $15-20 for two, and you could play light gun games with the Switch? You'd have to stand near your TV (unless you'd play in Tablet Mode, in which case you'll be near the screen anyway) but that wouldn't be any different from playing at an arcade, if the IR Camera could do the "screen flash" thing from the NES Zapper you'd be able to reload by pointing off screen and shoot shit even without a Sensor Bar.

That would actually be really awesome and maybe we'd see a bunch of ports of light gun arcade games, which IMO would be fuckin rad.

Does anyone know if that's possible with an IR camera? I assume that light gun games in arcades, even new ones, don't use Sensor Bars and instead use tech similar to the NES Zapper. That would also "justify" selling the JoyCon R by itself, since you wouldn't be able to play a 2-player light gun game with JoyCon L.
Arcade light guns have been using sensor bars for years (or more accurately, two bars, one on top and bottom, with more lights), unless they've changed recently.

You could probably kinda simulate gun stuff with gyros and calibration with some fuzzy logic from assumptions, although realistically I'd just expect gyro pointing with a cursor. Hell the light gun stuff in arcades has been using a cursor since moving to sensor bars afaik.
I agree, I can't really imagine a real world scenario where someone will actually run the battery down on their JoyCons. I just think it's stupid as hell to have two different JoyCon Grips and not include the one that charges.

Hopefully that Hori 4-JoyCon charger isn't too expensive for people who do buy additional JoyCons. Although at the same time, if you have 4 you could just charge two while playing with the other two. From 0% they only take about 3 hours to charge so even with two sets running down their batteries shouldn't be much of a real world problem.
I'll probably just go the extra joycon set route and rotate once one runs out or just at the beginning or end of a session. I'm thinking the main annoyance might just be keeping track of and swapping the pair of comfort rail thingys every time.

No pro controller order in US?

I haven't seen one available for Pre-order yet which makes me nervous. I want to play Zelda using one but doubt I'll be able to now if they are going to be rare at launch.

Yea I don't want to use joycons.

I'm concerned as well, but Europe can preorder them just fine for launch day from Amazon so why the hell doesn't Amazon USA allow preorders? I've called a few Gamestops in Illinois and they don't seem to have the Pro Controller in their system.

Maybe they're just waiting on Nintendo to give official confirmation? I don't want to play Zelda without one though.

Top Bottom