• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Lite announced

iconmaster

Banned

The Turquoiswaw, that noble but oft-forgotten tribe.

gameboyswitchlite-watermark-1562785610928.jpg

IN

Last edited:

DESTROYA

They're not getting a NA release. They're also not getting a release anywhere else on Earth seeing as they are fan mock ups.

Here's a bunch more not getting s release:

That’s too bad because those 2 are much better than what we’re getting.
Maybe they should have a whoever came out with the mock-up’s design them, the colors that Nintendo is releasing are just ugly in my opinion.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
That’s too bad because those 2 are much better than what we’re getting.
Maybe they should have a whoever came out with the mock-up’s design them, the colors that Nintendo is releasing are just ugly in my opinion.

I agree. I don't even want a Switch Lite, but I'd be tempted if we actually got some of the fan and IGN mock-ups.

Geki-D

Banned
:D Truth be told, that is where most of my DS/3DS gaming has taken place over the years.
I literally never played the PSP or Vita outside of the toilet, I was a bit more flexible with the DS.

If I did get this I'd probably only play, again on the toilet.

Does the Switch have rest mode, btw?

I still can't get over the name. They called it a Switch because it switches from tv to portable and vice versa. They made a whole ad around that. Now the Lite doesn't, it shouldn't have Switch in its name. Switch Lite should still mean it switches, but this is a Lite version, meaning no dock included.

When they dropped the 3D from the 3DS, they called it the 2DS, clearly indicating no more 3D in the name.

If it don't switch, it ain't no Switch. Simple.

The console do switch, it switches from off to on and vice-versa, just like a switch but with less weight, it's a light switch. See? Problem solved, case closed.

Xbox? It's not even a box.

Playstation? Where do I put the trains/buses?

Does the Dreamcast cast dreams?

Why does the Mega Drive only play games on cartridges and not on Mega Disks™?

What about the PC Engine? That's not a PC, and where is the engine?

The Fami(ly)com(puter?) is a console, not a computer!

Will hardware manufacturers ever stop trying to deceive us?

TLZ

Banned
Playstation? Where do I put the trains/buses?

Does the Dreamcast cast dreams?

Why does the Mega Drive only play games on cartridges and not on Mega Disks™?

What about the PC Engine? That's not a PC, and where is the engine?

The Fami(ly)com(puter?) is a console, not a computer!

Will hardware manufacturers ever stop trying to deceive us?
Can't tell if serious.

Btw, the Famicom had keyboard and FDS released with it, and a book for coding stuff. So it can totally be used as a PC.

Not all namings are literal too. The Switch on the other hand is. So you want to tell me Sega shrunk planet Saturn and shaped it into a console? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Can't tell if serious.

No :messenger_winking:

Btw, the Famicom had keyboard and FDS released with it, and a book for coding stuff. So it can totally be used as a PC.

And the C64 had a cartridge slot and 2 joystick ports: it can be used as a console, but it's not.

Not all namings are literal too. The Switch on the other hand is. So you want to tell me Sega shrunk planet Saturn and shaped it into a console? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The switch was a literal name, but now now it's a brand, like the Toyota Lexus: at first it was just the name of a specific car made by Toyota, now it's a brand name.

lol no shit you didn't read all 19 pages or you would have seen this take repeated ad nauseum

once again for the thick skulls who don't get it:

IT IS CALLED SWITCH LITE BECAUSE IT PLAYS SWITCH GAMES

if you have a better name, one that conveys that it is a portable system that plays Switch games, and you don't have Switch in the name, you are welcome to offer up your suggestion. so far there have been none and the nonstop bitching about it is getting real old.

This, so hard.

Now, you might say, "But NEC had the TurboExpress for TG16 and Sega had the Nomad for Genesis", but 1) those weren't tied to system names with a specific identity a la Switch, and 2) neither were as synonymous with gaming as Nintendo. Sega still only had Genesis as their one big hit, whereas Nintendo then and now has had multiple notable distinct hardware IPs, so names are a trickier matter for them. Even the cleverly named Nomad couldn't capitalize on the success of the Genesis given that it came out after the latter's EoL (not to mention that it scarfed batteries like the cookie monster).

A portable system with a different name would cause branding confusion in that customers would expect to buy different games for it. There isn't a 2DS type alternative here.

Bigfroth

Those Nintendo theme SanDisk cards are they actually different than the standard micro SD cards in terms of read/write speeds or not?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Oh, why is the original Switch called the Switch?

Edit: I bet I won't get an answer to this.
It doesn’t matter the Lite is no longer Switches, it plays Switch games so it’s called “Switch” Lite.

Zog

Banned
Because you can Switch from docked to mobile? I thought this was common knowledge.

You and I know that but some people seem to think that the ability to 'Switch' isn't important for a product that is named after this feature. For example:

It doesn’t matter the Lite is no longer Switches, it plays Switch games so it’s called “Switch” Lite.

It seem that the name 'Switch' has been redefined to 'that which plays Switch games'. Makes you wonder why they didn't name the the 2DS, the 3DS Lite instead since it plays 3DS games.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It seem that the name 'Switch' has been redefined to 'that which plays Switch games'. Makes you wonder why they didn't name the the 2DS, the 3DS Lite instead since it plays 3DS games.
I’m guessing “2DS” is still close to name “3DS” while communicating it in 2D.

Trimesh

Banned
You and I know that but some people seem to think that the ability to 'Switch' isn't important for a product that is named after this feature.

Obviously because in practice it's a feature that a large enough fraction of the users don't care about that it makes sense for them to release an SKU that doesn't do it.

You can also be quite sure that Nintendo are not doing this blind, and collected a large amount of data on how people actually use the product before making this decision.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
You and I know that but some people seem to think that the ability to 'Switch' isn't important for a product that is named after this feature. For example:

You asked why was the Switch is called Switch. I just told you why. I don't understand. Who gives a damn if it's been "redefined"? The redefiners didn't create the Switch.

Before the name Switch was a thing, the system was meant to converge the handheld and console dev platforms with compatibility across multiple form factors (i. e. iOS). Why limit it to a single form that compromises the ease of portability of 3ds?

Top Bottom