• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017 worldwide, MSRP $300

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptomex

People go on about the hardware not justifying the price. My argument to that is if the Nintendo exclusives are amazing, who cares? 720 or 1080, if the game is good, I don't see a problem.

As for comparing the libraries, PS4 has been out for years so that's not really a fair comparison.

And whether you like it or not, it's portable and a home console in one. You may not care about the portable aspect, but that's how their advertising it. Essentially eliminating future dedicated portable consoles (I would imagine). To some, that's a huge thing. Even I won't take it anywhere but I still have the option. So $300 isn't really outrageous for the base console, it's just that you don't want to pay for a console that you won't use as advertised in some way. Half of its appeal is portability. So basically I think it comes down to whether you like that or not.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
$300 is extremely low. I'm honestly not sure what the fuss is about.

as a canadian, a ps4 slim is 350 cad and enormously more powerful than the switch which is 400 cad. also, if 300 usd for the switch is extremely low for you, what would be moderately low?

avaya

They should stop making hardware and start publishing on hardware made by companies who know what they're doing. Wii was a fad in an otherwise steady decline for them. Sony is a different league of competition and Microsoft is a giant.

They should just swallow their pride and become a software house. I don't understand their behaviour. They have no real future in home console hardware.

I understand their pricing decision here, they want to make a fat margin on the hardware, Nvidia probably charged an arm and a leg for the Tegra. However the sheer spectacle of seeing in some markets that a 4.2TF PS4 Pro priced at the same level as a low end mobile component backed brand new Nintendo console is comedic and tragic in many ways.

macewank

So is this thing pushing the video signal in the dock over USB-C?

Wonder if a USB-C to HDMI cable would work in lieu of a docking station.

Arcayne

Price is where I expected. Hell I bought the launch Wii U Deluxe for iirc sub $450.

I will however delay my purchase by a week and wait for consumer opinions on the controls... they look dinky to me.

Nerazar

Compared to the libraries of competing systems, Nintendo is always far at the bottom. This is the worst launch lineup I've ever seen by the way. You have Zelda - which will be the only reason people buy the machine and then two ridiculous, gimmicky games that should have been pack-in's, honestly. Oh, and a deluxe version of the Mario Kart game we've already had for a while now.

I just don't see the system lasting past Splatoon 2 and the like. Having to wait until the holidays to play a new Mario game is ridiculous and I don't think we'll see much more on the system after that. I just don't feel it's going to sell all that well and that's too bad, because I've always liked Nintendo.

The DS and 3DS had weaker launch lineups (Remember Steel Diver?). It's just the amount of games for the Switch at launch which is troubling. The list of announced games, even those releasing this year, does look a lot better. Even with just the exclusives, you have a good amount of very good titles this year. But I am basing my opinion on the fact that Zelda is a strong contender for GotY / GotG - you rarely see such a game at launch on any platform.

With Switch, I've got the feeling that Nintendo might be able to pull through like they did with the DS (which was DOA against the PSP) and the 3DS (which was DOA against the NGP / Vita) - unlike with the WiiU. But this is just my intuition and my feeling that they will announce more games in the following weeks. For some reason, Nintendo oftentimes underpromises with game lists.

ViciousDS

Banned
question.....how do we charge the joy-cons?

The joy-con that comes with the switch just says joy-con grip

while the accessory says joy-con charging grip

so we just get a shell where you attach the controllers?

$299 in 2006 dollars is $248. The Wii launched at $249. I don't get the outcry either. The accessories are a bit steep, but the console comes with the joycons.
No one gives a shit about the numbers in the price, they care about how much they get for their dollar.

The PS4, even at $100 more expensive, was a better value proposition than this Frankenstein. Acting like the number alone means anything is stupid.

rpmurphy

Can someone with Bluetooth spec knowledge please explain to me why there's a difference in BT specs between the console (4.1) and JoyCons (3.0)? Is it just bandwidth or something?

Thanks.

I think my biggest disappointment with the switch is how much seems to revolve around the joycon/motion stuff. Like the console was built around a system that lets game devs build games that require zero visual display, are based off audio cues, and using the joycons as motion controls - the 1,2 Switch mini games are an idea of what they think game devs can build off.

I wanted a game system that was optimized around Nintendo first party games and every thought given to making them work great, look great, and play great. I do not get that vibe at all right now. I have zero interest in party games, social games, motion games, etc.

Nerazar

No one gives a shit about the numbers in the price, they care about how much they get for their dollar.

The PS4, even at $100 more expensive, was a better value proposition than this Frankenstein. Acting like the number alone means anything is stupid.

Well, I just hope that you won't see the PS5 launch since the PS4 will be a better value proposition at that point of time.

Shahadan

Here it's 329€ which is kinda absurd. I wouldn't have minded 299 but 329 is too much. Psychological barrier and all that.

I don't give a shit how much is a ps4, a ps4 is not portable and probably costs less to produce. (And I bought it for more than that and it's been collecting dust ever since.)

Still, too much for me until amazon or some retailer makes a bundle.

$299 isn't a terrible price IMO. The problem is the lack of a pack in game, ridiculously expensive accessories and paid online. When all is said and done the switch is by far the most expensive dedicated gaming HW on the market. For a company that relies heavily on children for sales that seems like a problem.

I also hate having to buy so much after paying for my console. I want everything included. With the switch after you buy it you need to get multiplied expensive accessories and pay for your games.

On top of all this the software lineup is abysmal. They may as well have launched in the fall with a killer lineup than this. By the time all the big hitters arrive the switch will already have lost all its hype. It might have a slight turnaround like the 3DS but it won't be a big hit.

otakukidd

question.....how do we charge the joy-cons?

The joy-con that comes with the switch just says joy-con grip

while the accessory says joy-con charging grip

so we just get a shell where you attach the controllers?

According to giant bomb the regular grip has a USB c port on it. People are thinking the charging grip has a battery that charges while you play.

Looking on Twitter at least it seems the actual people going hands on with the Switch think its pretty solid. Seeing lots of positive reactions

Ponn

Banned
I think my biggest disappointment with the switch is how much seems to revolve around the joycon/motion stuff. Like the console was built around a system that lets game devs build games that require zero visual display, are based off audio cues, and using the joycons as motion controls - the 1,2 Switch mini games are an idea of what they think game devs can build off.

I wanted a game system that was optimized around Nintendo first party games and every thought given to making them work great, look great, and play great. I do not get that vibe at all right now. I have zero interest in party games, social games, motion games, etc.

Their presentation highlighted that because they didn't talk about the controllers before. They were showing them off and what they could do. It's common for them to have a couple of games to show off their gimmick at launch. Vita had Little Deviants doing similar things to show off specific gimmicks but that didn't mean ALL games made were like that. It's just an aspect for them sell more consoles and try to recapture that Wii crowd. I hate party games and multiplayer games but i'm super excited for Switch because after the first presentation i'm getting

Fire Emblem Warriors
Zelda BoTW
Disgaea 5
DQ Heroes 1 and 2
New SE game
SMT V (or whatever)
DQ X and XI
Mario
etc similar titles, not trying to list war just show games i'm interested as a non multiplayer game, RPG and Japanese game lover. We are going to get more than this, this is just what was revealed yesterday of course. As Vita and 3DS closes shop those devs are going to move to Switch.

I think the point i'm making and seems to get continually lost in these discussions is the Switch is a Hybrid console in more than one sense. You may not have any interest in certain aspects it can do but that doesn't mean the aspects you are interested suddenly disappear. You don't like party games for instance, fine, ignore them. Doesn't negate the single player games coming out. I'm using it mostly as a portable, doesn't mean the dock and home console aspect or the stand party type multiplayer use disappears. This hits multiple demographics.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So,

Pretty iffy on this guy. Was super pumped after the initial reveal with the hybrid concept, but the execution seems off.

This doesn't seem to be appreciably more powerful than the Wii U, at least not what was shown so far.

And while the portable graphics are much better than the 3DS, the battery life has me really concerned. I use my 3DS to play in bed and to play on airplanes (as well as hotel rooms) 90% of the time.

I have serious concerns that this is basically a Wii U that doesn't need to be near the base system but shares all of the battery life concerns.

I have a pre-order but I'm of a mind to just buy Zelda on my Wii U and keep my 3DS for portable gaming for now.

I'm really really disappointed about the drought of new games on the Wii U/3DS for the last 12 months to have this first year line-up. I expected a ton of amazing content to make up for that.

Seems Ninty still can't do HD development well, and jumping ship on the Wii U so fast probably forced their teams to learn new toolsets and hardware. They need to get the price down and battery life up and push this as a new portable that happens to hook up to the TV if its going to penetrate the market. They should make it day 1 work with 3DS content and port all of the Wii U games over. The Wii U did not do very well, and they can use all of the content they can get their hands on. If I were them, I would have announced ports of every major first party Wii U games at budget pricing and dole those out over the first year. It would be new to most non-hardcore Ninty fans and help set the console up as a quick go-to for portable HD Nintendo classics along with the classic Nintendo games (though, I am expecting to have to buy all of those again, I would buy more if my VC purchases carried over from gen to gen).

I'm expecting a full portable hardware revision by Xmas where the dock and "home" controllers are not included for 225 or less.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
And while the portable graphics are much better than the 3DS, the battery life has me really concerned. I use my 3DS to play in bed and to play on airplanes (as well as hotel rooms) 90% of the time.

At least as a slight mitigation of the battery life issue they went with a standard USB-c port for charging the tablet. So at least you don't have to lug a proprietary ACadapter and can just use a USB-c cable with the ports on airplanes and whatever charger block you use for your phone etc. when traveling/by the bed etc., or cable and battery bank when not near a port.

Still sucks battery is so low for intensive games though.

vgamer1

Have you guys who are wary about the price seen this?

16114350_10211913291007032_7661135648577460067_n.jpg

StoOgE

At least as a slight mitigation of the battery life issue they went with a standard USB-c port for charging the tablet. So at least you don't have to lug a proprietary ACadapter and can just use a USB-c cable with the ports on airplanes and whatever charger block you use for your phone etc. when traveling/by the bed etc., or cable and battery bank when not near a port.

Still sucks battery is so low for intensive games though.

Yeah, I wonder what kind of amps it pulls when plugged in. Those USB power ports on planes can be a little weak, but some battery packs could likely hold 5-6 hours of juice with decent amps.

I can't believe there are still people saying Nintendo should just be a software company.

They create their software with their own hardware and control ideas in mind. 3rd party Nintendo's software output would be far less diverse and infinitely more safe.

Neoweee

I'm not wary of the price, but I understand the complaints.

- As a console of that price, it seems underfeatured and underpowered compared to its current competitors.

- As a handheld, it seems overpriced compared to its recent competitors.

The cross functionality comes at a price. I think a price drop later this year or a bundle is almost certain. I suspect paying the launch price premium comes down to how eager one is to get the best version of Zelda. I feel like I'm in the minority on actually using the system in both forms equally, and having no urge to have to buy more controllers to play local multiplayer.

Sure those prices are similar/reasonable for a launch console. The issue is the switch technology isn't reasonable for a new console....32gb internal storage...720p tablet with 3hr battery life...lack of integrated online voice chat....

The prices line up with other consoles but the hardware does not line up with the feature set of said other consoles in their perspective time period.

StoOgE

Sure, but most of those systems (save the Wii and Wii U) were not a generation behind in graphical power.

It's overpriced for what it is as a home console. It's a very expensive portable with bad battery life. So, the question is will consumers make the calculation that a home Nintendo system is worth 200, and a portable system is worth 200 so this is a good value or not.

People are not perceiving value right now, and showing charts with historical prices adjusted for inflation isn't really going to change minds.

I think the issue is the launch lineup is pretty paltry (especially if you own a Wii U), and the accessories that most are going to need to buy are expensive.

So,

Pretty iffy on this guy. Was super pumped after the initial reveal with the hybrid concept, but the execution seems off.

This doesn't seem to be appreciably more powerful than the Wii U, at least not what was shown so far.

I have serious concerns that this is basically a Wii U that doesn't need to be near the base system but shares all of the battery life concerns.

I have a pre-order but I'm of a mind to just buy Zelda on my Wii U and keep my 3DS for portable gaming for now.

I'm really really disappointed about the drought of new games on the Wii U/3DS for the last 12 months to have this first year line-up. I expected a ton of amazing content to make up for that.

Seems Ninty still can't do HD development well, and jumping ship on the Wii U so fast probably forced their teams to learn new toolsets and hardware. They need to get the price down and battery life up and push this as a new portable that happens to hook up to the TV if its going to penetrate the market. They should make it day 1 work with 3DS content and port all of the Wii U games over. The Wii U did not do very well, and they can use all of the content they can get their hands on. If I were them, I would have announced ports of every major first party Wii U games at budget pricing and dole those out over the first year. It would be new to most non-hardcore Ninty fans and help set the console up as a quick go-to for portable HD Nintendo classics along with the classic Nintendo games (though, I am expecting to have to buy all of those again, I would buy more if my VC purchases carried over from gen to gen).

I'm expecting a full portable hardware revision by Xmas where the dock and "home" controllers are not included for 225 or less.

That seems really unlikely. A new hardware variant this year is just way too fast I think. The holiday's will probably have a game bundled in for $300 at most.

That's home console prices. As a home console this thing is an awful proposition compared to the competition. If you compare to handhelds he comparison isn't so pretty. It's also the accessory prices, lack of pack in and paid online that make the price even worse.

Etzer

Anecdotal, yeah, but I just picked up my 12 year old cousin from school and he was telling me how excited he is for the Switch after watching last night and how his friends liked it too. After the presentation, I'm not sold on this at all for many reasons but I think it can still sell decently if they market it right. The Wii U was a disaster on that front.

Sulik2

I truly do not get what Nintendo is doing with the Switch. By holiday 2017, at the latest, both the PS4 and Xbone will price drop to $250 dollar systems for their base models. They have a crippled home console with limited third party support and limited first party games that is more expensive then its rivals within six - eight months of launch. :/ Its got horrible battery life and is super expensive for a dedicated handhold when everyone already has a phone too. I just don't get it. This launch lineup is beyond abysmal and their online strategy is just straight lol. The Switch will sell better then the Wii U, because at least the casual user base doesn't just think it is a Wii addon, but I still expect it to sell worse then then the Gamecube. Nintendo will be third party within five years after the Switch flops and their board removes all their senior leadership for incompetence.

I'm honestly in two minds. I would love to buy it day one with Zelda, but then I could just buy Zelda for the Wii U and pick up the Switch at the end of the year probably with a deal, and with a ton of games for it.

StoOgE

That seems really unlikely. A new hardware variant this year is just way too fast I think. The holiday's will probably have a game bundled in for $300 at most.

I am not optimistic this is going to do well, but you are probably correct.

Nintendo is a company that does not move quickly to correct issues.

Again, I have one pre-ordered. I like my Wii U. But, I think this device is a great idea at a high-level that butt-fumbled pretty much all of the details. From power, to battery to price.

They may have been better off with a home console and portable sharing the same architecture with cross-buy, and had the home console work more like a PS4-Pro where the graphics are substantially higher IQ and resolution.

I think they effectively have an underpowered home console and an overpriced portable with poor battery life.

If I thought Nintendo knew how to message and advertise systems I would be more optimistic, but everything they have done with the Wii U has me not confident that they are going to explain what this is to the average consumer well enough.

13ruce

Banned
Their presentation highlighted that because they didn't talk about the controllers before. They were showing them off and what they could do. It's common for them to have a couple of games to show off their gimmick at launch. Vita had Little Deviants doing similar things to show off specific gimmicks but that didn't mean ALL games made were like that. It's just an aspect for them sell more consoles and try to recapture that Wii crowd. I hate party games and multiplayer games but i'm super excited for Switch because after the first presentation i'm getting

Fire Emblem Warriors
Zelda BoTW
Disgaea 5
DQ Heroes 1 and 2
New SE game
SMT V (or whatever)
DQ X and XI
Mario
etc similar titles, not trying to list war just show games i'm interested as a non multiplayer game, RPG and Japanese game lover. We are going to get more than this, this is just what was revealed yesterday of course. As Vita and 3DS closes shop those devs are going to move to Switch.

I think the point i'm making and seems to get continually lost in these discussions is the Switch is a Hybrid console in more than one sense. You may not have any interest in certain aspects it can do but that doesn't mean the aspects you are interested suddenly disappear. You don't like party games for instance, fine, ignore them. Doesn't negate the single player games coming out. I'm using it mostly as a portable, doesn't mean the dock and home console aspect or the stand party type multiplayer use disappears. This hits multiple demographics.

Nice list, i am going for these games in 2017:
Zelda
Mario Kart
Splatoon 2
XENOBLADE 2
Skyrim
Mario
Pokemon star (would be cool if it comes out this year)
Fire Emblem Warriors.
Dragonquest XI(maybe also both heroes games)
And more.

Raven117

They really needed to include the 1,2, Switch game.

A game that is essentially the tech demo for the game console. Something that showcases the systems peculiar strengths.

Strange they didn't do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom