• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017 worldwide, MSRP $300

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pre-ordered. Ultimately its a secondary system for me as I am more focused on PC and PS4. But I love Nintendo and I want Zelda on the new system so womp womp... I am part of the problem I guess.

Peltz

Damn I didn't know that. So basically the Switch is just a Wii U that allows you to take the tablet more than 20 feet from the console. And it has no library of games. And its $300. I hope Nintendo knows what they're doing
they don't

This is how I feel about it. Very very poor concept.

JJH

What people don't want to understand is that at launch you buy one or maybe two games and that's it because all that shit is expensive. Launching with a dozen games is counter productive, most of those would sell terribly and cost money. And they know most people interested will buy Zelda already.

A small number just makes more sense. The actual listing sucks though I agree and what it shows is actually the real problem here, third parties mostly aren't even bothering porting their stuff in the early months.

Yes because having options and building momentum is something that a console doesn't need at launch. Worked well for Wii U.

Spy

I don't think a company can make significant changes 6 weeks before launch because everything is usually set in stone but Nintendo needs to drop the price to $249.99 and include 1, 2, Switch with the system or it is going to fail.

People go on about the hardware not justifying the price. My argument to that is if the Nintendo exclusives are amazing, who cares? 720 or 1080, if the game is good, I don't see a problem.

As for comparing the libraries, PS4 has been out for years so that's not really a fair comparison.

And whether you like it or not, it's portable and a home console in one. You may not care about the portable aspect, but that's how their advertising it. Essentially eliminating future dedicated portable consoles (I would imagine). To some, that's a huge thing. Even I won't take it anywhere but I still have the option. So $300 isn't really outrageous for the base console, it's just that you don't want to pay for a console that you won't use as advertised in some way. Half of its appeal is portability. So basically I think it comes down to whether you like that or not.
That's pretty much where I'm at. When buying a Nintendo product,specs are secondary. You're buying to play the latest Nintendo games. People don't care about specs as much as those in this thread think. Minecraft is the most popular game of this century and the graphics are terrible.

I'm expecting the Nintendo first party games to be better than ever this gen with the consolidation of the 3ds and Wii u teams. If Botw and Mario Odyssey trailers are any indication, we are in for a treat.

Nameless

They really needed to include the 1,2, Switch game.

A game that is essentially the tech demo for the game console. Something that showcases the systems peculiar strengths.

Strange they didn't do this.

This is what kills it for me as someone who doesn't give a fuck about motion/IR controls or portability and would almost definitely be playing with a Pro controller. They're asking $370 for a stock Console experience BEFORE even buying a game. For what you're getting that is absolutely absurd. Insulting even.

Even MS smartened up and removed Kinect to make the XB1 more attractive to people not interested in lame gimmicks, but I'm not expecting that level of enlightenment from Nintendo.

shtolky

Yes because having options and building momentum is something that a console doesn't need at launch. Worked well for Wii U.

The N64 launched with two games. Not two good games, just two total. That system seemed to have a pretty robust library by the end of it's cycle. Also, who is to say they won't build momentum not two months after launch with E3? You think they will have nothing to show? They can't rely on Zelda anymore because it will be out already. They won't solely focus on Odyssey.

SFenton

Yep.

Everyone seems to be acting like PS4/XB1 didn't have amazing exclusives or a stellar lineup. Sure, it's in the eye of the beholder, but acting like next-gen Battlefield, Call of Duty, Need for Speed, and more didn't convince people is astoundingly naive.

Switch has Zelda. Cool! Great game. But what's going to pull in the casual market? Not 1, 2 Switch. Not ARMS. Those, like VR, are going to be great fun demos, but no one's going to buy a system for it.

That's pretty much where I'm at. When buying a Nintendo product,specs are secondary. You're buying to play the latest Nintendo games. People don't care about specs as much as those in this thread think. Minecraft is the most popular game of this century and the graphics are terrible.

I'm expecting the Nintendo first party games to be better than ever this gen with the consolidation of the 3ds and Wii u teams. If Botw and Mario Odyssey trailers are any indication, we are in for a treat.
And this is why they are losing market share. A shrinking number of people want to spend that kind of money for only Nintendo games on shit hardware.

Tiktaalik

Do we have any details yet about the account system and how one will buy games for the Switch? Is there finally an account system where your purchases are tied to that and not the hardware?

A small number just makes more sense. The actual listing sucks though I agree and what it shows is actually the real problem here, third parties mostly aren't even bothering porting their stuff in the early months.

third parties are still a problem for Nintendo they had people come up on stage just to say they are developing games for the system with nothing else to show.

SFenton

The N64 launched with two games. Not two good games, just two total. That system seemed to have a pretty robust library by the end of it's cycle. Also, who is to say they won't build momentum not two months after launch with E3? You think they will have nothing to show? They can't rely on Zelda anymore because it will be out already. They won't solely focus on Odyssey.

Come on now, the N64 was also the follow up to one of the most successful consoles of all time, particularly the *only* truly successful console at that time, and it launched with the first 3D Mario ever.

That's not a situation being replicated here.

//DEVIL//

Ya'll should be grateful they didn't cancel Zelda for it :p
You know. It would make sense to cancel the Zelda if they were able to make allot of consoles to meet the demand . Zelda is a system seller. But I guess most people will buy the game on Wii u so it's logical to release it there on Wii u . Besides it would hurt Nintendo image if they canceled the game on the older system

Yep.

Everyone seems to be acting like PS4/XB1 didn't have amazing exclusives or a stellar lineup. Sure, it's in the eye of the beholder, but acting like next-gen Battlefield, Call of Duty, Need for Speed, and more didn't convince people is astoundingly naive.

Switch has Zelda. Cool! Great game. But what's going to pull in the casual market? Not 1, 2 Switch. Not ARMS. Those, like VR, are going to be great fun demos, but no one's going to buy a system for it.

Those were shit most of the time, PSOne upports. Especially BF4.

And you people seem to miss the fact that there is lots of games coming for Switch during this year?

If they keep a good pace and solid releases monthly or so, they will have good momentum to holiday period when they'll introduce bundles with pre-existing games and maybe lower the price a little. Sounds like a solid plan.

NYmanutd

I really wanna play Zelda but im not making the same mistake i did with the Wii so i will probably wait for a price drop $249 or less i just dont think the system is worth $299

RoKKeR

I really wanna play Zelda but im not making the same mistake i did with the Wii do i will probably wait for a price drop $249 or less i just dont think the system is worth $299

Nintendo consoles don't drop in price. At least not at the clip Sony and MS lower their prices.

Shahadan

Building momentum is not done by oversaturating launch day with games, it's done by steadily releasing titles in the following months.
That's what they are doing btw. Mario Kart in April, I assume Arms in May, and Splatoon in June (?)

Which again highlights the real issue, third parties are not releasing much stuff. I wouldn't either in their place though.

PS4 had Knack and Killzone at launch for 1st party iirc? the bulk of the list was made by cross gen and ports. That's the usual thing for launch. Here we don't even have much on that front

third parties are still a problem for Nintendo they had people come up on stage just to say they are developing games for the system with nothing else to show.

Yeah that was really telling.

The irony of someone defending the Switch launch lineup by calling other games upports is killing me.

Zelda, Rayman, Tetris.... I could go on if I gave a shit about the other games enough to know what they are.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo consoles don't drop in price. At least not at the clip Sony and MS lower their prices.

Wii and Wii U didn't. GameCube and especially 3DS dropped pretty quickly though.

N64 got a pre launch price drop. It was announced at $199.99 (and preordered at Babbages), but dropped to $149.99 before launch.

SFenton

Cuningas de Häme;228300336 said:
Those were shit most of the time, PSOne upports. Especially BF4.

And you people seem to miss the fact that there is lots of games coming for Switch during this year?

If they keep a good pace and solid releases monthly or so, they will have good momentum to holiday period when they'll introduce bundles with pre-existing games and maybe lower the price a little. Sounds like a solid plan.

"Shit", sure. I sure had a blast at XB1 launch. Friends were psyched to get a hold of their PS4s and XB1s.

Lots of games- ports? Splatoon 2, Mario? I'm there for Mario. A lot of these games are going to fall into your "upports" category. Possibly even downports.

Where is the western third-party support? Why not tout it?

Nintendo I believe has been milking a decreasing population of hardcore Nintendo fans for the last 20 years and living off Pokemon to try and grow a younger fanbase.

I grew up with an NES controller in my hands, but it's getting harder and harder for me to justify buying their hardware. It feels like their cycles are getting shorter for hardware refresh and their software output lower and worse quality every gen.

Nintendo has been pretty consistent with their generations and their refresh timings. More consistent than any other company I can think of. Personally, I look at Nintendo's recent output with things like Splatoon, Mario Maker, BoTW and Mario Odyssey and I am very happy with the direction they are going. I grew up with a NES controller in my hands as well and I think they are speaking directly to me with the Switch. Even the motion stuff they are doing looks promising to me.

But it's Nintendo's job to sell you on this stuff, and if they have failed then that's on them. If they lost me in the way that you seem to be describing, I would just walk away. Sticking around out of habit and being disappointed and low-key cranky about it doesn't sound like a fun way to be.

As someone who didn't really enjoy the Wii, and totally skipped the Wii U, I was totally interested in jumping back on the Nintendo train, but I'm out for the moment. Price is too high for me to impulse buy, online system sounds predictably borked in a Nintendo way, accessories are too expensive, and most importantly the software lineup looks anemic so far. Honestly though, all things considered, if they just had some day one Wii U ports I probably could have been sold on launch. I'm totally interested in Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, and Smash, but oh well. A couple of those plus Zelda would have tided me over for a good while. As it stands, I'll check back in when Splatoon 2 drops.

The Switch is a really good idea on paper. Too bad Nintendo appears to be dropping the ball on delivering this experience. I was really excited for the Switch before last night, but now it's just going to be another Nintendo console I will probably never buy. :(

shtolky

Come on now, the N64 was also the follow up to one of the most successful consoles of all time, particularly the *only* truly successful console at that time, and it launched with the first 3D Mario ever.

That's not a situation being replicated here.

All I'm saying is the damn thing isn't even out yet and everyone is saying it is D.O.A. I'm fairly new to GAF, so perhaps this is how things are, I don't know. Most systems don't blow the doors out at launch. The 3DS was a disaster, now it's revered as one of the best systems of all time with a great library (yes the price was reduced, I will give you that.) The N64 launched with two games, ended up with a great library (I'm not sure I follow your point about how it followed the SNES). Yes, it launched with the 1st 3D Mario, but couldn't I now say that the Switch is launching with the first open world Zelda game which is shaping up to be an all-time classic? BOTW looks to be better than anything the PS4/XB1 offered at launch and it isn't even close IMO. If at E3, Nintendo shows off Metroid and other surprises, will people change their tunes, or is this just doomed to fail in their eyes?

Am I just not used to trying to pre-order Nintendo consoles or what?

I'm shocked I haven't been able to pre-order one of these. I actually made the effort of asking Amazon to email me when it's available and turned on audible alerts for my gmail overnight.

Never got a notice.

Obviously, I don't pre-order many consoles (pre-ordered a PS4 but had NO troubles doing that the day after the announcement) but this is really weird to me.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
No you don't. That's completely arbitrary. The joycons placed within the grip seem like they'll function just fine as a "normal" controller.

True. Though having to detach the joy cons and attach to the docked tablet to charge is an annoyance. For $300 the damn $30 charging grip should have been included so we can just plug it in--especially for those who'll rarely use the portable mode.

King Kye

Banned

People said the same thing about WiiSports in 2005.

For the record, I'm expecting this to bomb.

AColdDay

Buying a Switch at 299 doesn't bother me, because if Nintendo follows previous trends, it will be forever until a price drop happens. I skipped Wii U so I'm thirsty for some Nintendo games. The last 3D Mario I played was Galaxy 2, and the last 3D Zelda I played was WIND WAKER on the gamecube so I've had enough distance from those franchises for them to feel fresh again.

I'm just excited to see what the combined power of Nintendo's handheld and console departments are capable of doing on one platform. Going to play Zelda in March and get Mario Kart for April. This is the most excited I've been for console gaming in years because my kid is getting to that age where he wants to play and there is just nothing like Nintendo.

ekim

True. Though having to detach the joy cons and attach to the docked tablet to charge is an annoyance. For $300 the damn $30 charging grip should have been included so we can just plug it in--especially for those who'll rarely use the portable mode.

The included grip seemingly has a charging port. The extra charging grip has an additional battery.

SFenton

All I'm saying is the damn thing isn't even out yet and everyone is saying it is D.O.A. I'm fairly new to GAF, so perhaps this is how things are, I don't know. Most systems don't blow the doors out at launch. The 3DS was a disaster, now it's revered as one of the best systems of all time with a great library (yes the price was reduced, I will give you that.) The N64 launched with two games, ended up with a great library (I'm not sure I follow your point about how it followed the SNES). Yes, it launched with the 1st 3D Mario, but couldn't I now say that the Switch is launching with the first open world Zelda game which is shaping up to be an all-time classic? BOTW looks to be better than anything the PS4/XB1 offered at launch and it isn't even close IMO. If at E3, Nintendo shows off Metroid and other surprises, will people change their tunes, or is this just doomed to fail in their eyes?

You're also comparing way different time periods. The gaming landscape, economy, and competition has changed drastically in the last 20+ years since the N64.

3DS was not competing against Xbox or PlayStation consoles. It competed against the Vita, which Sony also fumbled to hell, which *allowed* it to become successful.

Nintendo needs to be showing surprises *now* and instilling faith in their console and it's very clear they weren't even able to instill a little bit of faith last night with token FIFA games and a port of a six-year-old title, likely without mods. What is Switch doing to convince developers- particularly, Western developers- to actually make games for it?

SFenton

People said the same thing about WiiSports in 2005.

For the record, I'm expecting this to bomb.

This is fair, but people have experienced Wii Boxing before, so ARMS isn't quite as fresh, and I frankly don't see 1, 2 Switch as being consistently fun or novel enough to be a huge hit.

BibiMaghoo

I'd like to emphasise this point by adding that right now, today, a new WiiU is only £45 less than the Switch will launch at. A failed and replaced console, has only a games difference in price. That is shockingly stupid. They should have bargain dropped the price a long time ago.

bachikarn

The handhelds do though.

Also, the gamecube had price drops (yearly iirc). The Wii never did because it was super popular. Counter intuitively the Wii U never dropped in price because it was super unpopular. The Wii U also had a bunch of soft price drops where retailers had sales and really good bundles.

I imagine the Switch will be moderately popular, so I think yearly ~$50 price drops will happen.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
The included grip seemingly has a charging port. The extra charging grip has an additional battery.

That doesn't seem to be the case--though it's still not clear yet. There are pics of the included grip that show no USB-c port on the Nintendo Japan site.

They really need to clarify this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom