• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Micro SD recommendations

lt519

So, I'm going to keep an eye out for good deals on micro SD cards for the upcoming Switch, but I need help understanding what is the best speed, quality, and price point. This isn't something I normally shop for so help would be appreciated. I know a lot of others could use help to, other threads have been about the news of max capacity and storage type, but it'd be good to consolidate opinions and deals here.

Starting with this from Best Buy since it is on sale and they have the $25 off $100.

128GB SanDisk Micro sdxc

Mods lock if this isn't necessary.

Jaagen

I would get something fast. I have the Samsung Evo Pro(128GB) on my Surface Pro 4, and it works pretty well. Wouldn't get anything worse than that.

kami_sama

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Best advice is to wait as long as possible since the prices keep going down.

This is my theory as well.

If there aren't a ton of games that I'll need storage at launch I'm gonna wait.

32 gigs should be fine for a couple down titles and a VC game or two.

I'll upgrade when I need more space as pricing is only gonna get better over time.

Best advice is to wait as long as possible since the prices keep going down.

that's what I'm doing. I'll wait at the latest until 3 days before the Switch is out. So I have till late February. 67 isn't half bad, but if it can get anywhere closer to the $50 it sold for during Black Friday, I'll take it.

nubbe

Toshiba Exceria U3 seem to be the best value

I want the U3 for decent write speed, but most cards seem to be 80+ read

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
in this moment I think the 200gb sandisk is the best bang for the buck.

I'll wait until the last day of february to order mine tho >>.

rekameohs

Banned
MicroSD cards dramatically drop in price every year, so definitely do not get a humongous one this year, wait until a smaller one fills up.

The 200 GB one floated around this thread launched at $240 just a year and a half ago.

The bigger sizes now will be the same way in the future.

Hmmmm

Ebay has a couple of used 200 GBs and a couple of bids on others I might be willing to give a shot to later this week. The used are at $45 bucks. Now, buying used that close to the new price I'd rather just go new, but something to keep in mind if you're interested.

goldenpp72

So, I'm going to keep an eye out for good deals on micro SD cards for the upcoming Switch, but I need help understanding what is the best speed, quality, and price point. This isn't something I normally shop for so help would be appreciated. I know a lot of others could use help to, other threads have been about the news of max capacity and storage type, but it'd be good to consolidate opinions and deals here.

Starting with this from Best Buy since it is on sale and they have the $25 off $100.

128GB SanDisk Micro sdxc

Mods lock if this isn't necessary.

I bought this same card for 33 bucks 'very good' from amazon, might be worth looking at if still there.

Schnozberry

When Samsung was giving away 256GB Evo Plus SD Cards with Galaxy Note 7's and Galaxy S7 Edge's, I was able to get one on Ebay for $70. Glad I snapped it up when I did.

alf717

Is there no option to use the USB 3.0 port or 2.0 ports on the dock for HDD storage? It would be nice to bank the games that way and swap in what you want. That 200GB micro SanDisk will go nice with the Switch for now if not possible.

Is there no option to used the USB 3.0 port or 2.0 ports on the dock for HDD storage? It would be nice to bank the games that way and swap in what you want.

It'll likely be something they can add with a software update, but I don't recall them saying it's available out of the gate.

So, this 200 Gig SanDisk is the way to go, then?

yes. But I'd say just wait to see if by any chance it lowers a bit in price before the release.

nubbe

Is there no option to used the USB 3.0 port or 2.0 ports on the dock for HDD storage? It would be nice to bank the games that way and swap in what you want.

hopefully in the future.
but I wouldn't expect a "complicated" feature to be there at launch

Zafir

I got a 200GB Sandisk MicroSD for my phone when Argos had them for £40 and have been pretty happy with it. It's mostly being used for games, loading times is maybe slightly longer than it would be on local storage but totally fine. I'm happy with the speed, and it means I can store way more games on my phone than I should be able to (it's also 32gb incidentally).

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Nintendo said it's possible but they're limiting that functionality until they can figure out if they want it or not on the system. Their fear is probably people taking the switch off the dock while the console is reading/writing to the HDD.

Schnozberry

hopefully in the future.
but I wouldn't expect a "complicated" feature to be there at launch

Well, you'd think it would be simple, but you're going to have morons undocking while playing from the hard drive and causing all kinds of problems. You have to make it idiot proof somehow, or put 35 warnings in place.

lt519

also,the bigger you go,the slower the card will get.

Really? What's optimal out there right now for size vs speed? Speed seems to be the most important thing. They have the 64GB for $20 which seems like a good placeholder, a year later when I need more storage prices on bigger ones will have gone down by more than $20.

I would get something fast. I have the Samsung Evo Pro(128GB) on my Surface Pro 4, and it works pretty well. Wouldn't get anything worse than that.

Yep that's what I plan on doing. 90mb/s read and write is awesome - the write speeds on the regular evo cards are 20mb/s which is very poor IMO.

Currently the 128GB Evo Pro is $75 at Amazon, I'm sure it'll drop a few bucks by the end of next month.

guek

Banned
I'd actually recommend just waiting for now unless you're absolutely certain you're going 100% digital. I almost bought an SDXC card but then realized I think I'll be going mostly physical for Switch and probably wont need much more than 32GB for saves and the occasional indie game. When I do finally need to upgrade storage, high capacity cards should be cheaper than they are now.

Genio88

Toshiba Exceria U3 seem to be the best value

I want the U3 for decent write speed, but most cards seem to be 80+ read

That's the one i got on Amazon.it during last Amazon Prime day, i also had a gift card and i ended buying it for about 20€

I'm gonna wait until either launch or a couple months longer before I buy. I'm going to be focused on physical copies, so it's not like there's enough digital titles to fill it up right away.

The longer I can hold off from buying, the better the deal I can get.

Jaagen

do we know if it supports UHS-II?

Probably not. It would have been nice, of coruse, but seeing even high-end laptops not supporting it, I think it's unlikely that the Switch supports it.

I have an Evo Plus 128gb spare is it not fast enough then?

Almost up to the Pro cards when it comes to read speed(80MB vs 95MB) so I at least try it to see how it fares.

Do we know what the read/write max of the switch is to an SD card?
Want to know whether it's worth getting a sandisk extreme or e-plus (or even a e-pro), or just stick with an ultra? I don't mind paying extra to get better performance, but I don't want to pay for performance the switch can't utilise.

Jaagen

Do we know what the read/write max of the switch is to an SD card?
Want to know whether it's worth getting a sandisk extreme or e-plus (or even a e-pro), or just stick with an ultra? I don't mind paying extra to get better performance, but I don't want to pay for performance the switch can't utilise.

If it's a UHS-I compatible slot(which it probably is), may read speed is around 104MB/s. UHS-II on the other hand goes up to 312MB/s, but I would be shocked if Nintendo would go for that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Micro

This is my theory as well.

If there aren't a ton of games that I'll need storage at launch I'm gonna wait.

32 gigs should be fine for a couple down titles and a VC game or two.

I'll upgrade when I need more space as pricing is only gonna get better over time.
That's sounds like something I might do.
Especially since there won't be that many games I'll buy digitally at the moment.

Baleoce

What are the read speeds likely to be on the Switch cartridge media? Is there any way of knowing yet? For those planning on going "all digital" through MicroSD, I think they'd benefit from knowing the differences.

foltzie1

Wait for a Goldbox, there is bound to be one between now and March 3rd.

Then get the Sandisk or perhaps Samsung Pro. 128 or 200 whichever fits your budget better, but 128 is the best price per GB right now.

rtrbad

Banned
It's just rebranded Class 10 cards to create market confusion to charge different prices.

Unless the Switch supports UHS-II, it's pretty irrelevant.

The card that he was referring to in the link is UHS-I so it isn't irrelevant, and the A1 class is from the SD card association and requires that manufacturers show *minimum* read and write times rather than the "up to ___" peak performance numbers that are normally shown.

Calm Mind

You can't go wrong with the Sandisk 200GB micro SD card. Especially at that price. In fact, you could probably buy three for the price of a Sandissk 256GB micro SD card.

Top Bottom