• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: Online Service Features

Toki767

Wait wait wait... this stuff isn't actually confirmed, is it?

No cloud saves? Where'd they say that? No cross buy / ugrades? They haven't talked about the VC yet. No web browser or Miiverse? Surely not?

The rest I've heard about.

Granted we don't know everything yet, but this is Nintendo we're talking about.

So far we know
-no cloud save data
-no cross buy(from older consoles)
-no voice chat in console
-no web browser
-no miiverse
-no video sharing via share button until later date(*)
-games return to nintendo after month(you cant play even you have subs)
-only vc games no switch games?

whew

Fuck you nintendo

Sources?

Or get outta here with your bullshit.

boiled goose

good with gravy
czvNhgZ.gif

Ay Nintendo.

Anyway, as I said before I'm not interested in the online service so this doesn't affect me. What I will say is that I expect this to be the last time I buy NES/SNES/etc classics. This shit better be properly tied to my account from now on, with no bullshit. You've been warned, Nintendo.

Ever since I got burned on Wii, haven't bought anything digital on Nintendo. Nothing on 3DS, nothing on WiiU. No account, no buy.

Aranjah

As a Windows Phone owner all the talk about apps is meaningless for me.
To be fair it'd be meaningless for me even if I owned an Android or iOS device as I dislike companion apps

I really hope that the functionality of those companion apps (parental control, lobby, chat) are all accessible from within Switch.

As a fellow WP owner, I share your pain.
Luckily, everything else in this thread is convincing me that I won't miss the features that won't be available on my phone.

Did anyone notice that the official Nintendo website reads "The paid online service will be available in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico only at launch.".

I find this confusing for two reasons: 1st I thought the paid service wasn't due to launch till fall and 2nd what does this mean for the other regions?
This has been discussed to death. At launch refers to when the subscription service launches. Other regions don't mention anything about it being USA, Canada and Mexico only NOA do (who distribute in USA, Canada and Mexico...coincidence)

darknil

I wonder how this paid service will be on other countries, MS and Sony have been ok with me buying the service through Amazon.

Will Nintendo block it if I'm not in US, Canada or Mexico? Will they sell digital cards?

Pretty happy that I kept my Wii U so I can play Zelda while this mess is done.

Edit: I mean, as a LATAM user, will this mean I won't be able to use the console online?

U2NUMB

Wait.... So still no achievement system???? Nintendo don't get it...

kidding.. kind of, would be interested in a system but not a deal breaker

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Or like the ambassador titles certain VC games will be Nintendo Online exclusive...
I'm still mad that I never got the chance to buy those GBA games on 3DS. Meanwhile, Nintendo is trying to force me to pay for something I don't want. Ridiculous.

It's so sad to me that I should be absolutely ecstatic right now about how amazing Super Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2 look, but all I can focus on is just how badly Nintendo fumbled this whole thing.

The entire time the Splatoon 2 trailer was on, all I could think about is how I'm not going to pay monthly to play it, so there is no point getting excited.
Same here. Last night, right after the conference, I was feeling pretty excited still. Now, the more I think about it the less I care for the Switch. I believe I'll get one eventually, but yeah, this is one ugly mess, and a completely unnecessary one, even.

Tregard

Soothsayer
7gIVYG1.png

LKD claiming the Switch also won't have BBC iPlayer, which is one of the most basic video streaming services any device should have (if in the UK, obviously)

This bodes very poorly.

How do they think giving people one month of access to a 20-30 year old game would be viewed as value?

They can't escape comparison to PS+ and XBL Gold, so I certainly hope that given some time they turn this into something worth it. Hopefully by the time I actually buy a Switch.

Too bad that I know once I buy one I'll want to be playing Splatoon 2 online...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Kind of disappointed to hear that. My TVs built in iPlayer is a bit crappy, the Wii U's was more stable, so I was hoping to continue with the Switch.

DOWN

Banned
This must be cheap right? Like $5 a month, $49 a year cheap. Like it can't possibly cost the same as Sony and MS

Lobbby and voice chat aren't going to be in place at launch and they're charging money for this? Nintendo must be bullish as hell on their own console for the overall pricing strategy for the switch.

nynt9

Lack of cloud saves makes sense if it's meant to be a portable system, no web browser is just a headscratcher.

I'm pretty sure the chat will be in the system as well, why make it a separate bullet point otherwise?

Could be that Nintendo's admission that everyone just does the other stuff on their phones or other devices means that they're slimming down what the console can do. I haven't touched Netflix on my Wii U since i got my Smart TV back in August, runs at the same quality but i don't have to worry about Wii U's auto powerdown kicking in for long watches (or the gamepad running out of battery).

I mean, Vita has cloud saves...

Soroc

Lobbby and voice chat aren't going to be in place at launch and they're charging money for this? Nintendo must be bullish as hell on their own console for the overall pricing strategy for the switch.

technically they aren't charging money for it until it is in place since its free until the fall, but yes any complaints, frustrations about how ridiculous their service setup is on this thing is warranted.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
This must be cheap right? Like $5 a month, $49 a year cheap. Like it can't possibly cost the same as Sony and MS
$49 per year for 12 random NES/SNES games you're only allowed to play for 30 days each isn't cheap, it's a ripoff.

Raptomex

Regardless of all the craziness, what is up with Nintendo's obsession with their NES titles? Not that they're bad but I'm tired of them. It feels like we just got SNES and 64 titles for Wii U. But I can play the 8 and 16 bit titles a multitude of ways already.

Not Drake

100% speculation on my part and I don't know if anyone mentioned it before. Free trial until Holiday 2017 seems pretty long and specific. It might be that Nintendo is waiting for 3rd parties to come. If they can't sign any interesting multiplayer games they might do 180 and try to gain some positive PR by offering a PS3 PS+ like service with various benefits for paid subscribers and free online play for everyone. Then they might try again with future iterations of Switch.

Regardless of all the craziness, what is up with Nintendo's obsession with their NES titles? Not that they're bad but I'm tired of them. It feels like we just got SNES and 64 titles for Wii U. But I can play the 8 and 16 bit titles a multitude of ways already.

It's not just NES, though. Nintendo knows their power is in their legacy. They still make a killing off of titles that have been around for decades because people have continued to pay for it. They're still getting $10 a pop for Pokemon RGY. Old school video game stores like Game Swap sell N64s for more than they were worth at launch and are getting $50-$100 on N64 cartridges. If Nintendo can't see that the way forward is giving away some of their past to make a future then the Switch might be the end of the road.

Raptomex

It's not just NES, though. Nintendo knows their power is in their legacy. They still make a killing off of titles that have been around for decades because people have continued to pay for it. They're still getting $10 a pop for Pokemon RGY. Old school video game stores like Game Swap sell N64s for more than they were worth at launch and are getting $50-$100 on N64 cartridges. If Nintendo can't see that the way forward is giving away some of their past to make a future then the Switch might be the end of the road.
No argument there. I collect games, myself and have a ton of ways to play stuff. I'm simply saying I would love if they focused on their other titles like SNES, N64, and even GCN. They made other games besides NES titles. Advertising NES titles is nothing new. At least we're seeing SNES games at launch this time.

So far we know
-no cloud save data
-no web browser
-no miiverse

whew

Fuck you nintendo

Wait are these things actually confirmed or are you just making stuff up?

Im sure this has been posted already but

Regular Chris KohlerVerified account
‏@kobunheat
Confirmed by NOA: Monthly free classic game on Switch is indeed only available for that month. More deets on Virtual Console before launch.

Regular Chris Kohler ‏@kobunheat 1h1 hour ago
Sheesh, even my explanation was unclear. Sorry.

After a month, you can no longer PLAY the monthly Switch online classic unless you buy it.

https://twitter.com/kobunheat/status/819956802741747712

JaseMath

So far we know
-no cloud save data
-no web browser
-no miiverse

whew

Fuck you nintendo

When were any of those things confirmed?

‏@kobunheat
Confirmed by NOA: Monthly free classic game on Switch is indeed only available for that month. More deets on Virtual Console before launch.

After a month, you can no longer PLAY the monthly Switch online classic unless you buy it.

Straight lunacy. Anybody who pays for their online service is getting robbed.

seantos

Neo Member
When you aren't clear with an announcement and a lot of the other announcements have been negative a narrative starts to form that's believable enough, whether its true or not, that can seriously damage the brand. This is just like when all the xbox one news was coming out and all the bad news started to pile up and people just ran with anything negative. Nintendo is digging themselves into a hole to start off again and they should be out there clarifying all this stuff.

So let me get this straight, if I wanted to talk to someone while playing the switch, I would have to whip out my phone and possibly enter a code, (maybe numerical like those damn friend codes), and I have to pay for it, just to chat with someone?

599049_football-sports-nfl-new-york-giants-eli-manning_200s.gif

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So let me get this straight, if I wanted to talk to someone while playing the switch, I would have to whip out my phone and possibly enter a code, (maybe numerical like those damn friend codes), and I have to pay for it, just to chat with someone?

We don't know. Nintendo is being crappy again with full details, creating the impression that just like the Wii U they don't have their online system ready for launch.

The bullet list of missing features posted in this thread is misinformation, most of that hasn't even been talked about by Nintendo.

Wait.... So still no achievement system???? Nintendo don't get it...

kidding.. kind of, would be interested in a system but not a deal breaker

It's actually a huge issue for me, and just further evidence of how out of touch Nintendo is with modern gaming

‏@kobunheat

That's absolutely nuts. At this stage it'd be easier to believe deliberate sabotage rather than this being a group of talented individuals' plan for success.

hohoXD123

100% speculation on my part and I don't know if anyone mentioned it before. Free trial until Holiday 2017 seems pretty long and specific. It might be that Nintendo is waiting for 3rd parties to come. If they can't sign any interesting multiplayer games they might do 180 and try to gain some positive PR by offering a PS3 PS+ like service with various benefits for paid subscribers and free online play for everyone. Then they might try again with future iterations of Switch.

Probably just to entice early adopters. Yeah we dropped the price but at least you got to play free online for the few games in the library!

hohoXD123

In sales, if you have a feature, you show it.

This is the same BS excuse we used for there apparently being no touchscreen when that wasn't the case. Just because they haven't talk about some things doesn't mean the Switch won't have it. Like a web browser for example, are you people seriously saying the Switch won't have something so basic just because they haven't announced it? Come on now.

Why only an NES or SNES game every month? No N64, Gamecube, GB, GBA, DS? The hell?
Even then the 1 month only rule would still be garbage, but yeah, at least GameCube games and what not would be more of a bone than SNES and freaking NES games. Who the hell doesn't already legally own every NES game they'd ever want anyway? Across the VC on 3 consoles, the Ambassador thing, Animal Crossing, the eReader, the Classic series on GBA, various other unlocks and ports, and of course the freaking NES Classic console, as well as remixes and twists in WarioWare and NES Remix Nintendo fans have gotten everything like a dozen times already. But no, here you go, one month of "Baseball". Woooooooo...

_Ryo_

This service sounds terrible,especially in contrast of PSN. I mean 2 NES/SNES games that you can only play for a month? What? PSN you get one PS4 game, one PS3 game, one PSVita game, and you can play as long as you're subscribed.

There also isn't Miiverse or communities or street pass, instead you need a smartphone app to voice chat, which you have to pay for the service to even use fully.

Will Nintendo's service offer cloud saves? Will games be tied to the hardware again? I dunno but with what is already detailed I expect the worst.

Toki767

This service sounds terrible,especially in contrast of PSN. I mean 2 NES/SNES games that you can only play for a month? What? PSN you get one PS4 game, one PS3 game, one PSVita game, and you can play as long as you're subscribed.

There also isn't Miiverse or communities or street pass, instead you need a smartphone app to voice chat, which you have to pay for the service to even use fully.

Will Nintendo's service offer cloud saves? Will games be tied to the hardware again? I dunno but with what is already detailed I expect the worst.

You have it backwards. It's 1 NES/SNES game a month. And 2 PS4/PS3/Vita games a month.

So yeah...even worse.

Top Bottom