• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: Online Service Features

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Is it confirmed that the only way to voice-chat is to use an app on an external device? And this app isn't even available at launch?

If so, that's legit insanity. And kind of hilarious because while I was expecting Ninty to drop the ball on online, even I wasn't prepared for such nonsense.

azyless

Is it confirmed that the only way to voice-chat is to use an app on an external device? And this app isn't even available at launch?

If so, that's legit insanity. And kind of hilarious because while I was expecting Ninty to drop the ball on online, even I wasn't prepared for such nonsense.
Not confirmed but on the Nintendo website this is the only mention of it :
Online lobby and voice chat

Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device.
I'm just hoping for some bad communication.

I hope the smart phone app would be the equivalent to the steam app. Nice to have, but not necessary and it doesn't serve an important function.
But then again, we are dealing with a company who is pushing motion controls for the third time in a row.

7gIVYG1.png

LKD claiming the Switch also won't have BBC iPlayer, which is one of the most basic video streaming services any device should have (if in the UK, obviously)

This bodes very poorly.

What the fuck is Nintendo thinking?

I mean I guess I understand their logic with the voice thing? The only headphone jack is on the Switch itself, so if it's docked what would you talk through. Headphone jacks in the joycons and pro controller would have just hiked up the price even more.

Not saying it's ideal, but I get why they did it.

I mean I guess I understand their logic with the voice thing? The only headphone jack is on the Switch itself, so if it's docked what would you talk through. Headphone jacks in the joycons and pro controller would have just hiked up the price even more.

Think of the pennies.

bomblord1

Banned

Bluetooth?

Toki767

Now explain their logic with putting voice chat on a smartphone app behind a paywall when it's free with virtually any smartphone app.

solomon

I'm still confused on the lobby system and voice chat, does that not run natively from the system, do you always need to do everything from your phone?

7gIVYG1.png

LKD claiming the Switch also won't have BBC iPlayer, which is one of the most basic video streaming services any device should have (if in the UK, obviously)

This bodes very poorly.

Not surprised, the 3DS never even got Netflix in the UK

(And the Wii U app was a steaming pile)

Obviously paid online hurts for consumers, but the way it was announced couldn't have been much worse. Here we have a company that has had notoriously antiquated online services in the past, and they didn't even attempt to justify why it now has a cost associated with it.

What they needed to do was show off the improvements and additions to their service with a live demonstration. What are its features, how does it compare to your competitors, what is the damn thing even called? We are six weeks away from launch, it not being ready is simply not an acceptable excuse. After they have proven it is no longer a bare-bones, dated mess, then they can announce that it will be available for a nominal fee. Yes, it would still sting, but at least then we might feel a little more optimistic about Nintendo finally getting their act together in that regard.

Instead, they are asking us to trust them without any evidence, when so far their track record has only shown us that they are not up to the task, and with the only details given to us being a few paragraphs of text released online that are either vague, concerning, or flat-out laughable. It's absolutely baffling.

nampad

From the Splatoon 2 Nintendo Product Page:

I basically think all social features won't be native to the console and wrapped around the smartphone app. Is this Nintendo being super scared of piracy?

Edit: Taking this one step further it seems most of settings and console UI will be done on a smartphone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYGhNu5D688

Having things on the app is smart BUT it should also be on the console...SMH.

7gIVYG1.png

This bodes very poorly.

Not supporting Switch is one thing, pulling it on Wii Us...

Eeeesh Nintendo, this honestly kills the Switch for me ATM. You're not Microsoft with their extensive history and success for online gaming, HELL, you're not even near Sony's level of justification as to why we need to pay for your services (and I think Sony's psplus prices are overpriced and that the service has become stagnant for years now). Why the flying fuck would I support a monetized online system from the same company that made friend codes and STILL doesn't have a proper chat system in their games?!
If they do intend to go all out with this thing, then it was a horrible horrible HORRIBLE choice to leave it as vague as it is knowing their reputation regarding anything online. If the thing does end up being great and offer cross chat between smart devices and the systems, I'll give them a golf clap and buy a Switch sooner than later. Til then, they can eat shit.

EDIT: Am I just tired, or am I reading that they're going to add online to SNES and NES games? That's actually neat. More of that pls

Secret of Mana? Evermore? Mario All Stars? I guess that's kind of cool. You can do that right now, but it can be a pain in the ass to set up. They seem to be afraid to spend money to make this service as robust as it needs to be.

They should have used the time during Wii U's time to build a foundation, shit they should have done this the first time they decided they were going to do the online thing at all!

Rncewind

So let me get this 100 % straight

they want to charge for online

but you can only use party chat with your smartphone, is that correct?

Wil348

I feel a bit less upset about this now. If it's reasonably priced (like, $30 tops for a year) and it means a good online service then I can accept it. I hope parties aren't relegated to smartphones and can be done on the console though.

I did see what might be a social icon on the UI though (to the left of the eShop icon) so maybe?

Jarmel

Banned
So far we know
-no cloud save data
-no cross buy(from older consoles)
-no voice chat in console
-no web browser
-no miiverse
-no video sharing via share button until later date(*)
-games return to nintendo after month(you cant play even you have subs)
-only vc games no switch games?

whew

Fuck you nintendo

Wow. Just wow.

Who the fuck would pay for this?

So let me get this 100 % straight

they want to charge for online

but you can only use party chat with your smartphone, is that correct?

We still don't know this yet lol, we still don't know it could possibly be different and the Switch can actually support voice chat, we just don't know.

ViciousDS

Banned
So far we know
-no cloud save data
-no cross buy(from older consoles)
-no voice chat in console
-no web browser
-no miiverse
-no video sharing via share button until later date(*)
-games return to nintendo after month(you cant play even you have subs)
-only vc games no switch games?

whew

Fuck you nintendo

Wait wait wait

It's a tablet with no web browser

What the living fuck

They could copy their competitor in Japan, Sony, who released the PS3 with Bluetooth and USB headset chat capabilities a decade ago.

It's purely their choice. Either a result of poor investment into the team developing their system software or upper management that is forcing the development of the system without basic features.

BBboy20

Obviously paid online hurts for consumers, but the way it was announced couldn't have been much worse. Here we have a company that has had notoriously antiquated online services in the past, and they didn't even attempt to justify why it now has a cost associated with it.

What they needed to do was show off the improvements and additions to their service with a live demonstration. What are its features, how does it compare to your competitors, what is the damn thing even called? We are six weeks away from launch, it not being ready is simply not an acceptable excuse. After they have proven it is no longer a bare-bones, dated mess, then they can announce that it will be available for a nominal fee. Yes, it would still sting, but at least then we might feel a little more optimistic about Nintendo finally getting their act together in that regard.

Instead, they are asking us to trust them without any evidence, when so far their track record has only shown us that they are not up to the task, and with the only details given to us being a few paragraphs of text released online that are either vague, concerning, or flat-out laughable. It's absolutely baffling.
You are not the targeted audience.

You are too sane and disloyal for them.

Next year, maybe they'll try to appeal to you....maybe...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yeah, honestly guys it's day 1, they said they haven't announced anything and everyone is jumping through hoops to make it seem worse with no facts.

It is not like they have put preorders up on their own store expecting people to buy in something they could have been informed on so close to launch, but in two days with the press at their doorstep could not say or put in a press release, huh ;)?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You are not the targeted audience.

You are too sane and disloyal for them.

Next year, maybe they'll try to appeal to you....maybe...

They are giving us parental controls tied to the device and not the account (https://youtu.be/BIhagVVGB9s) and digital games that expire in a month whether you keep the paid subscription going or not... so yeah... it does not scream super modern online and account setup :/...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Why would they even put in effort to put multiplayer functionality in those games if they were only available to rent for a month?

None of this makes any sense to me.

I gues that finally putting what ZSNES and then SNES9X did to enable online multiplayer years ago must have felt it was worth to buckle and dime their loyal customers more ;).

Tobor

Do we even have confirmation that this system is account based and purchases are tied to the account?

I know they said it would before, but it's Nintendo. They will always find a way to fuck this up.

azyless

They are giving us parental controls tied to the device and not the account and digital games that expire in a month whether you keep the paid subscription going or not... so yeah... it does not screen super modern online and account setup :/...
Is this real ? Hopefully that's not a sign of yet another device-tied generation and no proper account system.

MisterR

I'm starting to think there is someone high up at Nintendo deliberately trying to sabotage the company. No company can be this dumb without some sort of industrial espionage going on.

I'd take 3-5 games a month over a Nintendo classic i've probably already played tbh.

This.
And the one at a time gone in a month even if you're still subscribed is crazy too.

Like many, I have discovered a lot of underrated gems like this too with the Plus games, and then on top of that, as long as you're subscribed time to play them since it's easy to develop a backlog.

_Clash_

there's 2 possible reasons IMO

some kind of mobile/social/nintendo advertising fusion, and making sure the OS is barebones and every inch of RAM is for games

DrEvil

not a medical professional
You do realize the switch is basically a rebranded nvidia shield right? A lot of these limitations are present in the shield as well. It's no surprise they had to skimp on things.

Top Bottom