• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: Online Service Features

This is such a huge mistake on their part. Way to sour the positive feelings for your new console.

I honestly don't care what features it has or doesn't have. Besides splatoon I haven't used my Wii U for a single online game. I guess Mario maker also counts

Sucks knowing if I want to play Splatoon 2, I'll have to pay a monthly fee.

Portugeezer

Wait... the chat app will have "microtransactions" to unlock the full feature set of the app?

Edit: I guess they can also mean that the app itself will be limited in its functions, but it's still a strange way to phrase it...
No you just pay the Nintendo online fee to unlock.

CrazyHal

Even if Monster Hunter 5 ends been a switch exclusive (god i hope not) theres no way in hell that i'm paying for this considering nintendo's terrible online history.

wildfire

Banned
Nintendo are doing this wrong by basically copying everyone else.

Free
Online multiplayer
Hosted by publisher

Online lobby and voice chat
Dependent on publisher

Subscription
Online multiplayer
Hosted by Nintendo
Guarantied support even after 3rd parties end it.

All games centralized by Nintendo

Cross multiplayer with PC/Android and IOS platforms.

Cloud storage space 2 Terabytes

Access to modding tools rolled out a year after game launch.

Streaming Switch games to PC, Android and IOS supported devices. With the ability to enhance your streamed games with 3rd party apps on these platforms.

---------------------------------------

This is how you differentiate yourself and offer a service that doesn't feel like BS.

Free
Online multiplayer
Hosted by publisher

Dependent on publisher

Subscription
Online multiplayer
Hosted by Nintendo

All games centralized by Nintendo

Cross multiplayer with PC/Android and IOS platforms.

Cloud storage space 2 Terabytes

Access to modding tools rolled out a year after game launch.

Streaming Switch games to PC, Android and IOS supported devices. With the ability to enhance your streamed games with 3rd party apps on these platforms.

---------------------------------------

This is how you differentiate yourself and offer a service that doesn't feel like BS.

I dont understand

Can i voice chat directly on my switch or not

Nydius

Back in the thread that was all the rage a couple weeks ago about console paywall multiplayer, I believe I said that the one thing Nintendo could do that would sour me on the Switch entirely was to start their own paywall multiplayer system.

I'm already nonplussed about paying for PS+ but at least I play enough multiplayer games online to somewhat justify it. I'm NOT paying for Nintendo's paywall multiplayer just to play Splatoon 2 and whatever Mario Kart comes out. Plus, most of these planned features seem very poorly thought out.

As much as I like Splatoon as a franchise, I'd rather just stick to the Wii U version until they shut it down than have to deal with yet another multiplayer paywall.

jayu26

Free
Online multiplayer
Hosted by publisher

Dependent on publisher

Subscription
Online multiplayer
Hosted by Nintendo

No publisher is going to agree to that. EA and Activision want people to move to new Battlefield and COD every year.

The worst online system is now under paywall.

More or less...

There is no way Nintendo will provide a service that is even on par with PS3 PSN at the least. Especially if they won't even have it ready for all territories when the service actually launches!

Please tell me this functionality will also be native to the console....

If not, I literally cannot fathom this.

I can totally believe it based on everything I've heard about this console now.

Fucking hell. I swore never to pay for online again.

Single thing that really soured me on the Switch.

This is the only reason I'm going to skip the switch. Also the reason why I skipped ps4/xbone.

I am not playing for online gaming.

Agreed on both counts. I might get a PS4, but if I do I won't touch PS Plus with a ten-foot pole. Which is more than I can say for the Switch, which I won't be picking up at all.

No publisher is going to agree to that. EA and Activision want people to move to new Battlefield and COD every year.

wat

Activision almost never shuts down COD servers and when they do it's only on platforms like the Wii. Battlefield games have live servers for years. This post is nonsense.

Wait I need another device to chat online send invites etc?????? This can't be real it just can't be right?.

Well, everybody has a phone, right? what's a problem?

Seriously, if this is true I can't imagine the amount of backlash they will get. The system is not ready for launch. They push the March launch so that they can include to the fiscal year.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
If you seriously need a smartphone app to voice chat with a paid subscription service... that MIGHT be the craziest thing Nintendo has done.

Even if Monster Hunter 5 ends been a switch exclusive (god i hope not) theres no way in hell that i'm paying for this considering nintendo's terrible online history.

Fun fact is that Monster Hunter 3's online multiplayer mode on Wii required a monthly fee in Japan… so I guess it's a possible scenario.

jayu26

wat

Activision almost never shuts down COD servers and when they do it's only on platforms like the Wii. Battlefield games have live servers for years. This post is nonsense.

Yes they don't shut it down, but they are not going to agree to bullshit like that in case they do find themselves in situations where people are not upgrading to their new games.

I never asked for voice chat or smartphone integration and would gladly have done without them if it meant there were no subscription involved in playing Splatoon. Guess I'll have to get my fill of its online play before the fee comes in.

Back in the thread that was all the rage a couple weeks ago about console paywall multiplayer, I believe I said that the one thing Nintendo could do that would sour me on the Switch entirely was to start their own paywall multiplayer system.

I'm already nonplussed about paying for PS+ but at least I play enough multiplayer games online to somewhat justify it. I'm NOT paying for Nintendo's paywall multiplayer just to play Splatoon 2 and whatever Mario Kart comes out. Plus, most of these planned features seem very poorly thought out.

As much as I like Splatoon as a franchise, I'd rather just stick to the Wii U version until they shut it down than have to deal with yet another multiplayer paywall.

My thoughts exactly. This may have sealed the fate of the Switch as a single-player and local multiplayer system for me—which, to be fair, was already the case with the Wii and Wii U apart from Mario Kart and Splatoon. But I am dismayed at what it means for Splatoon 2 or even for leaderboard/replay features like the one so elegantly integrated into DKCTF.

I never asked for voice chat or smartphone integration and would gladly have done without them if it meant there were no subscription involved in playing Splatoon. Guess I'll have to get my fill of its online play before the fee comes in.

I would happier with the WiiU setup where voice chat is possible but has to be done per game

I preferred a party chat option

VanWinkle

If you seriously need a smartphone app to voice chat with a paid subscription service... that MIGHT be the craziest thing Nintendo has done.

And not just voice chat; voice chat in online matches in compatible games. It's not even a party chat. Like, it's Wii U-level voice chat...except not even built into the system anymore.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
So I guess they are getting rid of miiverse, one of the few things Nintendo did right with the Wii-U?

And not just voice chat; voice chat in online matches in compatible games. It's not even a party chat. Like, it's Wii U-level voice chat...except not even built into the system anymore.

Its worse than WiiU

The WiiU tablet had a mic and speakers. You didnt have to use anything else to playbonline and chat other than the tablet itself

Voice chat wasnt there at the OS level so in MH3U it had to be provided by a patch that Capcom made

Switch? I dont even know if it has a Mic

TP

Man, right now i'm really hoping all this dumb shit is true

2017 ambassador program and free basic online play incoming

Pandy

Subbing to this thread so I can see what kind of mental gymnastics are deployed in order to defend this.

I'm not defending it, it sucks, but now I know I won't be re-newing my PS+ beyond 2017.

I hate that MS have led us down this path, but they have, and I'm not going to maintain two gaming subscriptions. I dropped XBL for PSN, and I'll be dropping PSN for Nintendo Online.

The VC games aren't a big deal (though added online play might change that depending what they are), but I guess it helps soften the blow a little. I've only had a handful of PS4 PS+ games I've cared about since launch, so I certainly don't include that as part of the 'value'.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Man, right now i'm really hoping all this dumb shit is true

2017 ambassador program and free basic online play incoming

This is all I can hope for at this point. Like, how the fuck did they look at what everyone else was doing and come up with this?!

This is definitely sounding like a train wreck. The fact that it seems like you need an external app just to be able to use what most people would consider basic features is pretty mind blowing.

Hexagon!

"Get rid of region locking, Nintendo!"

233332.gif

From the Splatoon 2 Nintendo Product Page:

Smart Device Support – An upcoming smart-phone application for the Nintendo Switch system will enhance matchmaking and allow for voice chat options.

I basically think all social features won't be native to the console and wrapped around the smartphone app. Is this Nintendo being super scared of piracy?

Edit: Taking this one step further it seems most of settings and console UI will be done on a smartphone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYGhNu5D688

Top Bottom