• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Presentation - January 12th

I must have missed that one

note that I don't count level design tools or mobile games

the last real 2d mario made by a nintendo team was from 2012. we'll be coming up on 5 years since then. it's time for a new 2d mario.

and when I say new, I most certainly don't mean New Super Mario Bros. time to change that aesthetic up. it can live on via mobile or mario maker, but for nintendo's new 2d mario there needs to be a change.

Just because you don't count it doesn't mean it doesn't count.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I just checked too...and oh god, he's taken something horribly out of context

smd64.png

I really hope he doesn't cling to his "Switch is an accessory" theory, otherwise he's going to be let down once again...

Jesus Christ what is he doing?

I just checked too...and oh god, he's taken something horribly out of context

I really hope he doesn't cling to his "Switch is an accessory" theory, otherwise he's going to be let down once again...

Yeah I misunderstood, which I clarified after that. I thought I had deleted that statement already so thanks, it's gone now. If you aren't going to post my statements after I made one clarifying that, you shouldn't post anything at all.

In regards to Switch, I have some pros and cons:

Cons:

• Battery life
  • No USB Hard Drive support.....could kill AAA Third Party Support of larger sized games from EA, Activation and even Ubisoft.
  • No Built in mic or camera on the Switch tablet (both Wii U and 3DS have these)
  • Joy-con controllers, I think they should remain attached to the Switch at all times, like Wii U. I can see them getting left behind when you leave from a vacation back home. Local portable multiplayer is likely not going to be used much, the uses they showed looked forced except for the guys playing in a car while traveling, could be fun for a short time, but stopping playing basket ball and a rooftop escape were silly. I can see them getting left behind when you leave from a vacation back home. So I think the Joy-Con idea is something they could simple remove and still make it work great.
  • The portability of it, seems a bit too big in my opinion to be truly "portable" so smaller might be better in this case.The Switch tablet itself would not get nearly any use from people who are mainly home console gamers, which makes the tablet a crutch in regards to it still acting like a portable with a mobile processor just up-scaled on your TV. A true hybrid concept would allow you to enjoy fully the home console experience, meaning a true home console with specs on par with the competition, and a true portable aspect while on the go, meaning it's not too big, it has good battery life, and it scales down properly. The Switch "seems" (we haven't seen everything yet) like it does everything, just nothing "great" which would be a mediocre device to home console fans and portable fans.

Pros:

• Play from your Home and instantly switch to playing on the go. Could be great for doing things like the laundry, morning bus/train rides, where you are playing on the big screen at home and then when it's time to go you just walk outside with it and keep playing on your way to work on the train etc.
  • Nintendo has the opportunity to make tons of games for one platform, basically being able to output at a rate similar to the 3DS but also adding more to it because of them not needing to make a separate experience on another home console (Wii U situation). Nintendo can minimize Third Party not supporting as much as they would like them to by them being able to release great games that no one else can like Nintendo.
  • Nintendo Exclusives and Third Party Exclusive collaborations. I can see Nintendo continue this with companies like Platinum and even Capcom. Also no one can sell a system on exclusives like Nintendo can.
  • Marketing and the name "Switch" everyone probably can understand what it is and what it does by the name. The advertising can be pretty easily communicated and people might buy it based on the commercial hype.

My core concern is the "jack of all trades, do nothing great, do nothing bad" aspect of what I'm seeing as of right now, but that could change after we see the entire reveal. So I'm cautiously optimistic of this device because ultimately if it has amazing software that is forward thinking and innovative, I'm sure it will do well.

Yeah I misunderstood, which I clarified after that. I thought I had deleted that statement already so thanks, it's gone now.

In regards to Switch, I have some pros and cons:

Cons:

• Battery life
  • No USB Hard Drive support.....could kill AAA Third Party Support of larger sized games from EA, Activation and even Ubisoft.
  • No Built in mic or camera on the Switch tablet (both Wii U and 3DS have these)
  • Joy-con controllers, I think they should remain attached to the Switch at all times, like Wii U. I can see them getting left behind when you leave from a vacation back home. Local portable multiplayer is likely not going to be used much, the uses they showed looked forced except for the guys playing in a car while traveling, could be fun for a short time, but stopping playing basket ball and a rooftop escape were silly. I can see them getting left behind when you leave from a vacation back home. So I think the Joy-Con idea is something they could simple remove and still make it work great.
  • The portability of it, seems a bit too big in my opinion to be truly "portable" so smaller might be better in this case.The Switch tablet itself would not get nearly any use from people who are mainly home console gamers, which makes the tablet a crutch in regards to it still acting like a portable with a mobile processor just up-scaled on your TV. A true hybrid concept would allow you to enjoy fully the home console experience, meaning a true home console with specs on par with the competition, and a true portable aspect while on the go, meaning it's not too big, it has good battery life, and it scales down properly. The Switch "seems" (we haven't seen everything yet) like it does everything, just nothing "great" which would be a mediocre device to home console fans and portable fans.

Pros:

• Play from your Home and instantly switch to playing on the go. Could be great for doing things like the laundry, morning bus/train rides, where you are playing on the big screen at home and then when it's time to go you just walk outside with it and keep playing on your way to work on the train etc.
  • Nintendo has the opportunity to make tons of games for one platform, basically being able to output at a rate similar to the 3DS but also adding more to it because of them not needing to make a separate experience on another home console (Wii U situation). Nintendo can minimize Third Party not supporting as much as they would like them to by them being able to release great games that no one else can like Nintendo.
  • Nintendo Exclusives and Third Party Exclusive collaborations. I can see Nintendo continue this with companies like Platinum and even Capcom. Also no one can sell a system on exclusives like Nintendo can.
  • Marketing and the name "Switch" everyone probably can understand what it is and what it does by the name. The advertising can be pretty easily communicated and people might buy it based on the commercial hype.

My core concern is the "jack of all trades, do nothing great, do nothing bad" aspect of what I'm seeing as of right now, but that could change after we see the entire reveal. So I'm cautiously optimistic of this device because ultimately if it has amazing software that is forward thinking and innovative, I'm sure it will do well.
I don't think most of those cons are actually cons. Why would USB hard drives kill 3rd party support? Cartridges should mean no mandatory installs.
Not sure why built in mics and cameras would matter? 3DS's were so bad that no one would legit use them as their main camera.
If you're concerned about the Joy-cons...leave them on? You've been talking about how much you wanted a console, just use a pro controller then. Not sure how common it is to throw something like that away anyways.
Battery life could be a concern, I guess.3DS despite not being a hybrid did have a pretty terrible battery life as is. Unless it's considerably worse then it wouldn't be an issue exclusive to the concept. Size too, but 3DS and Vita both needed bags of some kind already so it doesn't seem like much of an issue either.

Right now it seems like a really beefy handheld with a lot of cool (previously) console exclusive features like local multiplayer/splitscreen. Might not remain with 3rd party support for long, but we'll see how support in the long run (first party and 3rd party) turns out.
I do think most of your criticisms comes from telling yourself it's an unoriginal bad idea that there was no way Nintendo was doing.
If I spent almost a year telling myself and others that I'd be a bit upset for awhile.

I believe I asked this a few days ago, but it went unanswered.

Since this is not purely a stationary home console, what if I wanted to (mostly) treat it as such, like keep the tablet docked? The dock obviously isn't where the core power is, so when the tablet's battery dies from being charged on/off, am I going to need to go out and buy another Switch or a battery for it?

I'm just so used to regular home consoles that don't need to be charged..will this thing be able to handle 3+hour Smash sessions when docked? Will it just randomly start charging when the battery in the tablet gets low?

Sorry, not really tech savvy. I'm really pumped for this thing, I'm just worried about its long-term durability compared to a regular home console.

I don't think most of those cons are actually cons. Why would USB hard drives kill 3rd party support? Cartridges should mean no mandatory installs.
Not sure why built in mics and cameras would matter? 3DS's were so bad that no one would legit use them as their main camera.
If you're concerned about the Joy-cons...leave them on? You've been talking about how much you wanted a console, just use a pro controller then. Not sure how common it is to throw something like that away anyways.
Battery life could be a concern, I guess.3DS despite not being a hybrid did have a pretty terrible battery life as is. Unless it's considerably worse then it wouldn't be an issue exclusive to the concept. Size too, but 3DS and Vita both needed bags of some kind already so it doesn't seem like much of an issue either.

Right now it seems like a really beefy handheld with a lot of cool (previously) console exclusive features like local multiplayer/splitscreen. Might not remain with 3rd party support for long, but we'll see how support in the long run (first party and 3rd party) turns out.
I do think most of your criticisms comes from telling yourself it's an unoriginal bad idea that there was no way Nintendo was doing.
If I spent almost a year telling myself and others that I'd be a bit upset for awhile.

Nah, those are my honest concerns. In regards to my views on the system before it was revealed I would do it all the same in regards to me believing it wasn't what was rumored, except I regret my attitude in not giving the other side a chance, I should have been more fair in my arguments, and I made my public apologies and made amends, I'll learn from it and move on. I definitely believed in what I was saying and wasn't trying to mislead, I made some good points I felt and it made sense to me and the thousands that follow me.

In regards to the Switch, I like the Pro Controller a lot, I forgot to mention that, looks like the best controller since Gamecube in my opinion. Again, regardless of my concerns for the Switch, if Nintendo puts their best effort into it in terms of marketing, quality exclusives and game production, the Switch will be successful.

Neoxon

Since this is not purely a stationary home console, what if I wanted to (mostly) treat it as such, like keep the tablet docked? The dock obviously isn't where the core power is, so when the tablet's battery dies from being charged on/off, am I going to need to go out and buy another Switch or a battery for it?

I'm just so used to regular home consoles that don't need to be charged..will this thing be able to handle 3+hour Smash sessions when docked? Will it just randomly start charging when the battery in the tablet gets low?

Sorry, not really tech savvy. I'm really pumped for this thing, I'm just worried about its long-term durability compared to a regular home console.
I'm guessing that the dock always charges the Switch itself.

Once the battery's charged, it should just stop charging. If you're never taking it out, it shouldn't lose much charge. Modern battery tech is pretty friendly. Woooorst case scenario is if something happened to the battery you'd need to replace it; every Nintendo system with an internal battery has had easily available replacements.

Might it even work without a battery as long as it's got a power source? I know laptops can do this, but it never occurred to me to try with something like a DS.
That is what he is asking about. If the battery is never being fully drained and has opportunity for a charge anytime, will that kill the battery over time?
Batteries needing to be fully drained is one of those things that's not technologically relevant anymore but hasn't fully gotten out of our collective heads.

The Switch "seems" (we haven't seen everything yet) like it does everything, just nothing "great" which would be a mediocre device to home console fans and portable fans.

[...]

My core concern is the "jack of all trades, do nothing great, do nothing bad" aspect of what I'm seeing as of right now

I don't see how the Switch would be a mediocre handheld. As a home console, I get it, it's less powerful than the competition. As a handheld though, there's nothing mediocre about it. You mentioned the battery life, but we have no idea what the battery life is. Dev kits are not the same as retail products. We also don't know what it was running anyway nor what the battery life in sleep mode is like. I'm not expecting miracles, but the 3DS was already 3-5 hours, so I get the impression that they're shooting for something in that range, though I think it could last longer than the 3DS in sleep mode since it's bigger.

If you think it's too big, well, knowing Nintendo you'll eventually get a revision with a different screen size. I think they were right, though. The N3DS and N3DS XL were released on the same date and the XL has been considerably more popular. The regular XL has been outselling the regular 3DS since it came out. The vast majority of people don't expect to be able to carry a dedicated handheld in their pocket. Their phone, yes, because they need it on them always, but a gaming system, they want a bigger screen, especially if the graphics are detailed and in HD. People are used to bigger screens nowadays. TV screens are bigger, phone screens are bigger, tablets are very popular. They made the choice that they thought would please the most people and I think they're correct in their assessment, so I don't think the large screen size will work against it. I think it will be seen as a good thing.

It's a giant leap from the 3DS - and a significant leap from the Vita - in resolution and power, it has two analog sticks, local multiplayer out of the box and it's pretty obvious that they will sell different types of Joy-Cons, so the handheld will most likely be more customizable than the 3DS and the Vita. I doubt the apparent lack of a camera will bother many people.

And, obviously, as a primarily handheld gamer, I've still sometimes been curious to see what the games would look like on a TV screen, so being able to do so is still a plus even for someone who doesn't intend on using it as a home console much.

Nah, those are my honest concerns. In regards to my views on the system before it was revealed I would do it all the same in regards to me believing it wasn't what was rumored, except I regret my attitude in not giving the other side a chance, I should have been more fair in my arguments, and I made my public apologies and made amends, I'll learn from it and move on. I definitely believed in what I was saying and wasn't trying to mislead, I made some good points I felt and it made sense to me and the thousands that follow me.

In regards to the Switch, I like the Pro Controller a lot, I forgot to mention that, looks like the best controller since Gamecube in my opinion. Again, regardless of my concerns for the Switch, if Nintendo puts their best effort into it in terms of marketing, quality exclusives and game production, the Switch will be successful.
IDK, you were feeding 10k info as an insider that AMD/Polaris was going to be powering the device.
You also spent months reaching and looking into info that just wasn't there to your "thousands" of fans despite people explaining why any of your info didn't guarantee NVIDIA wasn't involved. . Was honestly surprised there wasn't more of a shit storm

But yes, the Pro controller is quite nice and I was glad to see it return and seemingly improved.

Damn, I forgot about Pikmin 4. If All I was able to get at launch was Pikmin 4, Zelda, Splatoon port and Mario Kart 8 port, I'd be satisfied for a good 3-4 months. And lord knows they'll have more to play than that.

Edit: I doubt there'll be a Sun/Moon port. What the point?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So far, we haven't seen a camera at all, but I believe the mic is on the unit.

CI_NintendoSwitch_Console_image912w.png

Look at the image on the right, the unit has three holes around the bottom size: two are surely for sound, and the third could potentially be for the mic.

vern

Look at the image on the right, the unit has three holes around the bottom size: two are surely for sound, and the third could potentially be for the mic.

Just curious, if it doesn't have a camera how could it read QR codes? Is there any other way?

And yea, Switch has a mic.

Waji

You know, a Xenoblade game will be on the Switch. And that will be a true open world.

XV won't be on the Switch because of its engine.
Absoolutely not. Takahashi said he would do a more classic RPG if they were working on a Xenoblade. And since they certainly are...
So it's not supposed to be "true open world at all yet.

He basically said that X was a project made in a way they could get ready for HD.
They're just going to use their work, upgrade/modify everything and probably use the universe of X to make a more "classic RPG".
It could have vast areas, but I don't see a basic open world, more like several planets to visit, with a new version of the Frontier Net, which was being teased by Kirsty.

I would love this, but with the power of the Switch I would expect a radical overhaul.

Not having an knowledge, I would assume they are currently moving Twilight Princess HD Wii U to Switch first. Even if it isn't released this year.

Then I could see them porting Skyward Sword to Switch. I agree that Metroid Prime deserves from ground up HD remake.

Because of Wii U failure, I do think it is feasible that Switch receives Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart port, Splatoon port, Smash port, Pokemon port, and Metroid remake all in the same year. Which sounds crazy when you type it. But it would be the first time since SNES that they came out releasing titles with such a strong release schedule.

I don't think they'll initially be so concerned with bringing the HD Zelda ports to Switch. The whole reason those ports existed in the first instance was to hold people over until BOTW (then Zelda Wii U) came out.

Not having an knowledge, I would assume they are currently moving Twilight Princess HD Wii U to Switch first. Even if it isn't released this year.

Then I could see them porting Skyward Sword to Switch. I agree that Metroid Prime deserves from ground up HD remake.

Because of Wii U failure, I do think it is feasible that Switch receives Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart port, Splatoon port, Smash port, Pokemon port, and Metroid remake all in the same year. Which sounds crazy when you type it. But it would be the first time since SNES that they came out releasing titles with such a strong release schedule.
Bringing TPHD to switch at this time would be MOOT. Its getting Botw at launch more than likely.

TheMoon

I always assumed the dark circle at the bottom of the screen was the mic

CIkyav3.jpg

Look at the actual video.

It's not a hole. It's behind the screen glass. It's a sensor (light) for screen brightness.

Look at any Wii U/3DS. The microphone is a tiny hole you can barely see. The thing on the Switch is not a mic.

KAL2006

Banned
I really hope we get multiplatform 3DS games. The Q1 lineup would be great for Switch

Poochy and Yoshi's Wooly World
Mario Sports Superstars
Monster Hunter XX

I wouldn't mind quick and dirty ports that improve the resolution.

Ninja Dom

That's actually very interesting that the Switch doesn't have a camera.

Could be a part of the 'smartphone' integration we have coming. A "Switch app" for iOS and Android that helps integrate more features, such as camera. Would seem a bit clunky and unnecessary.

Maybe, the final Switch unit will have a camera.

Also, in the First look presentation, what is that NBA basketball game that they are all playing?

I've been watching Gamexplains predictions for this conference and they talked about Wave Race making a comeback. It got me so pumped thinking we could see an old IP make a comeback.

They also mentioned maybe Sakurai has a new game or Kid Icarus port to Switch.

Also, I know Aonuma mentioned a new game with a thief. I don't think we'll see it here, but just throwing it out there.

I agree, but I wonder if they will do the work since it was just recently released and then just shelve it for next year.

Then allowing Tantalus to go into its next Nintendo project.

I could see a LOZ HD collection down the line in 2018 or 2019 with OTT MM TWW and TP but with BOTW in the next 3-12 months it doesn't make sense now.

MDave

Look at the actual video.

It's not a hole. It's behind the screen glass. It's a sensor (light) for screen brightness.

Look at any Wii U/3DS. The microphone is a tiny hole you can barely see. The thing on the Switch is not a mic.

Yeah I thought it was a sensor of some kind too. If it's a light sensor then that's great, no longer have to manually adjust the brightness. It's taken a while but glad to see Nintendo adopt some smartphone innovations :p

Ninja Dom

I've been watching Gamexplains predictions for this conference and they talked about Wave Race making a comeback. It got me so pumped thinking we could see an old IP make a comeback.

They also mentioned maybe Sakurai has a new game or Kid Icarus port to Switch.

Also, I know Aonuma mentioned a new game with a thief. I don't think we'll see it here, but just throwing it out there.

I haven't seen the Gamexplain video but why do they think Wave Race is coming back?

Branduil

Yeah I thought it was a sensor of some kind too. If it's a light sensor then that's great, no longer have to manually adjust the brightness. It's taken a while but glad to see Nintendo adopt some smartphone innovations :p

I hope the light sensor adjustments aren't as annoying as on my Galaxy S5.

LordKano

I think they might be doing SS HD

It would make sense. Once Ocarina of Time 3D was done, Nintendo directly asked Grezzo to make Majora's Mask 3D. Same with Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD (except it wasn't the same studio, but the development started directly after the release of the first remaster).

It would be only logical for Skyward Sword HD to already be in development.

LordKano

What do you think is more likely?

Gamecube VC at launch of Switch or a Super Mario Sunshine HD remake at launch?

Gamecube VC. I don't think we'll ever see a Super Mario Sunshine remake (and I hope so, as there are a ton of Gamecube games that deserves more than this turd).

LordKano

No they didn't. TP HD was a huge disappointment, they touched the textures but didn't bothered adding dynamic shadows and lighting. It was worthless.

They remade every textures, 3d models, and I think the result was really great, and in 1080p. I didn't had the chance to play it entierly, but even though it's not the best remaster, it still does a nice job of restoring a ten years old games to current standards.

It was a way harder job than remaking Wind Waker.

Top Bottom