• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Presentation - January 12th

jmizzal

As upset as I'd be if Zelda isn't at launch, I could deal with it if 3D Mario is coming on day one.

If neither hits launch, WTF

Also, MAN, if BotW isn't at launch, Wii U owners continue to get screwed over, as they'll be waiting even longer for this game to release on their system.

only way Zelda misses launch if it really needs more time in development on Switch, other then that they wont miss launch

maxcriden

A journalist gaffer. I don't think I should redirect the attention to him, as he's keeping quite a low profile when it comes to rumours. That's why I said "ramblings".

I see. Thank you. (Said GAFer, if you're reading this please feel free to PM me. Thanks.)

Every person not in denial knows this since the last nine months

Knows which? No Zelda at launch? Even after all the delays?

I really don't care as long as one of them is at launch.

This could've been the big thing for Kimishima was to get either 3D Mario or BotW at launch for Switch and neither were ready for this holiday.

AdanVC

Yeah, I'm not that mad if Zelda doesn't make it for Switch's releases as long as they have 3D Mario ready instead. 3D Mario games are among my favorite games ever and I kinda enjoy them more than Zelda. If neither of those two are available at launch.... yikes! :(

Yeah, I'm not that mad if Zelda doesn't make it for Switch's releases as long as they have 3D Mario ready instead. 3D Mario games are among my favorite games ever and I kinda enjoy them more than Zelda. If neither of those two are available at launch.... yikes! :(

I like 3D Mario more then Zelda too. It's my favorite series by far.

If this is the case, then it frees up a game like Skyrim to launch and possibly get more sales with Zelda not being there. I expect 3D Mario to be at launch now!

If this is the case, then it frees up a game like Skyrim to launch and possibly get more sales with Zelda not being there. I expect 3D Mario to be at launch now!

The Mario we saw in the trailer looked pretty early in development. No way is it further along than Zelda BOTW, but I suppose Nintendo may rush it if they for some reason make it a priority to keep BOTW in the oven and sacrifice Mario for it. Seems weird though, I don't buy it that BOTW will miss the launch, sounds too much like wild speculation generated simply because there isn't much to talk about right now.

I originally thought that the Switch would have to launch with both BOTW and the new Mario, but at this point, considering how early in dev the Mario game looked, I'm calling it as the Holiday 2017 game. I'm 85% sure BOTW will launch with Switch.

Also, Nintendo serves to lose much more than they gain if they step out of the way of Skyrim and let it serve the purpose of BOTW in the launch lineup. What else do they have? That'd be like saying Nintendo shouldn't have launched the Wii with a port of Twilight Princess, but instead should've gotten Bethesda to port Morrowind for launch instead. Obviously Skyrim is already back in the zeitgeist with the other remasters, but stepping aside for it will in no way be mor beneficial than launching with Nintendo's biggest game.

The Mario we saw in the trailer looked pretty early in development.

Name a single reason why, using only the footage from the trailer.

Also, Nintendo serves to lose much more than they gain if they step out of the way of Skyrim and let it serve the purpose of BOTW in the launch lineup.

This is true, though.

The pattern with third-party sales on Nintendo platforms is that third parties tend to benefit when the content they put out complements the content Nintendo has already put out. That's generally meant giving people who love the first-party games they bought with their system something to enjoy in the same genre.

3D Mario provides minimal benefit to third parties looking for an audience on a Nintendo platform, mostly because no one is making 3D platformers anymore.

Breath of the Wild is a huge move to make an open-world game that reaches an audience Nintendo hasn't had in the last decade or so (and, importantly, to open up a new audience to open-world games). That's a great opportunity for third-party publishers.

Name a single reason why, using only the footage from the trailer.

Too little shown. If they had more I feel it would have had the same amount of screentime as BOTW. How often has it been that we've seen the first footage for such a big game just 5 months before it launches? Nintendo typically takes their time with these things, I don't see a game shown with as little footage as that to come out in March, probably Summer or Fall. It also looked visually very similar to 3D World and I feel as though Nintendo will want to make it look more unique as it develops further.

These aren't solid 100% predictions or evidence, but it seems that accounting for past behavior, Nintendo is unlikely to have this game ready for launch since so far we've seen 6 seconds of footage and we first saw BOTW in 2014. I of course do not think we'll have to wait 2 or 3 years for the next Mario, just that they typically don't launch a game so soon after it is first shown, right?

Edit:

This is true, though.

The pattern with third-party sales on Nintendo platforms is that third parties tend to benefit when the content they put out complements the content Nintendo has already put out. That's generally meant giving people who love the first-party games they bought with their system something to enjoy in the same genre.

3D Mario provides minimal benefit to third parties looking for an audience on a Nintendo platform, mostly because no one is making 3D platformers anymore.

Breath of the Wild is a huge move to make an open-world game that reaches an audience Nintendo hasn't had in the last decade or so (and, importantly, to open up a new audience to open-world games). That's a great opportunity for third-party publishers.

I can't tell for sure if you agree with me on this. You're saying BOTW would be better to launch with around the same time as Skyrim so Skyrim can appeal more to early adopters by being similar to BOTW? Not the point I was making (that Nintendo is better served launching BOTW with the system and eating up potential Skyrim sales than delaying it past the launch), but you bring up a good point.

There's absolutely no way of knowing this, based on the five seconds of trailer footage shown.

Mario Switch has likely been in development for around three years.

The main point I'm trying to make is that I'm not sure why we should be believing any rumors that BOTW will not launch with the system. It seems much further along, perhaps only because we have seen so much more of it, and Nintendo has notoriously already delayed Zelda. (Twice, right?)

TheMoon

Well, what reason is there to not make 3DS VC or ports if they could run? Wii U has almost every Zelda ever on it, why not have everything from both there and 3DS on Switch? These games are evergreen sellers, may as well get them on the system if they can. Some of the VC games will potentially be only playable on the go (DS VC for example). Unless they use IR to mirror touch for those but I don't know how much effort that is.

Just imagine 3DS VC. I don't see how you can visualize it and then say it's a good idea that's playable. Even DS VC would be awkward at best since it would have to be limited to handheld mode. I don't think a pointer emulating the touch pen is a viable thing. Still, even if that is somehow playable, imagine the 3DS top screen next to the 3DS bottom screen. One is a widescreen format, the other is a (sort of) a square. With DS you can put them side-by-side and get by for many games, with 3DS you'd have the bottom screen be bigger than the top screen or both be equally tiny. It's just a horrible scenario all around. Neither 3DS or Wii U VC will or can happen for that reason. On Wii U you could do DS VC perfectly fine due to the equal screen sizes and the ability to spread it out over the TV and GamePad if you wanted. The Switch with its either-or configuration doesn't support the two-screen format well if at all.

Too little shown. If they had more I feel it would have had the same amount of screentime as BOTW. How often has it been that we've seen the first footage for such a big game just 5 months before it launches? Nintendo typically takes their time with these things, I don't see a game shown with as little footage as that to come out in March, probably Summer or Fall. It also looked visually very similar to 3D World and I feel as though Nintendo will want to make it look more unique as it develops further.

These aren't solid 100% predictions or evidence, but it seems that accounting for past behavior, Nintendo is unlikely to have this game ready for launch since so far we've seen 6 seconds of footage and we first saw BOTW in 2014. I of course do not think we'll have to wait 2 or 3 years for the next Mario, just that they typically don't launch a game so soon after it is first shown, right?

3D World was shown for the first time five months before it launched.

I'm not wholly convinced Mario Switch will be a launch title, but I wouldn't be all that surprised either if it ends up being one.

TheMoon

The Mario we saw in the trailer looked pretty early in development.

Look at the same scenes in the final game and I avatar bet you won't be able to tell the difference (UI excluded).

Too little shown. If they had more I feel it would have had the same amount of screentime as BOTW. How often has it been that we've seen the first footage for such a big game just 5 months before it launches? Nintendo typically takes their time with these things, I don't see a game shown with as little footage as that to come out in March, probably Summer or Fall.

You missed the point of the video which is the show off the hardware. 3D Mario was completely unannounced (technically still is). They showed 5 seconds because these were the first five seconds you've ever seen of this game. BotW is a known quantity at this point. Yet again, the video wasn't about games at all. This was never "omg hey look here new Mario!"

7roject28

There's absolutely no way of knowing this, based on the five seconds of trailer footage shown.

Mario Switch has likely been in development for around three years.

Yeah, I bet that Mario game was originally being developed for the Wii U but then they switched. Because didn't Laura or someone say that that Mario game is further along than we think and that don't be surprised if it's a launch game?

Edit:

I can't tell for sure if you agree with me on this. You're saying BOTW would be better to launch with around the same time as Skyrim so Skyrim can appeal more to early adopters by being similar to BOTW? Not the point I was making (that Nintendo is better served launching BOTW with the system and eating up potential Skyrim sales than delaying it past the launch), but you bring up a good point.

The main point I'm trying to make is that I'm not sure why we should be believing any rumors that BOTW will not launch with the system. It seems much further along, perhaps only because we have seen so much more of it, and Nintendo has notoriously already delayed Zelda. (Twice, right?)

We can't take anything from the trailers regarding release dates there's simply nothing to go on. Zelda is announced title so not shocking to be the first shown, half the footage is just Link sitting still on his horse in some grass, and 5 extra seconds of Mario sitting on Yoshi should not sway anyone's thoughts on when it was due out.

3D World was shown for the first time five months before it launched.

I'm not wholly convinced Mario Switch will be a launch title, but I wouldn't be all that surprised either if it ends up being one.

I mean it could be. In my original post that started this conversation, I said that I originally thought it must be, since Nintendo showed it off in their reveal of the Switch, but I later decided that is not enough of a guarantee that it will be. I'm not arguing that there is no way it launches with the system, just that it seems unlikely. You bring up a good point with 3D World.

Look at the same scenes in the final game and I avatar bet you won't be able to tell the difference (UI excluded).

Eh, I think they'll probably switch a few things around (NPC placement in the town shot) for example, but I'm not gonna make a bet on it, lol. I'm interested to hear what you had in mind, but coming off the bat with a challenge like that is kind of funny. I'm not really that invested in this.

To the other replies:

Hey, I didn't mean to rile so many people up. I'm not sure why it was objectionable to predict that the Mario game won't be at launch and BOTW will be, but I guess it is nice to know I've sparked a discussion on the topic. It seems some might be taking this a bit more seriously than I would.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
'Want Zelda at launch on your brand new Switch? Buy Skyrim." - this would an interesting ad. Add a Skyrim bundle while at it. /jk

I don't see how that video meant 3D Mario was in early development. Nintendo doesn't have to show you the latest footage. Same with Mario Kart. All the UI will probably be different.

And I never said they moved BotW for Skyrim. I said if 3D Mario will launch instead of Zelda then Skyrim will get more sales since the fanbase for Mario and Skyrim are so different. People kept saying how BotW and Skyrim share a closer fanbase.

3D Mario could easily launch. Nintendo keeps so much close to their chest nowadays. They sometimes won't announce a release date for games until their 2 months away from releasing. BotW just may not be ready and that's fine as long as they got 3D Mario ready to go.

Nintendo will have lots of games and secrets to show off. Emily said not to be surprised if BotW isn't the launch game. Laura said before the Switch trailer Nintendo was just going to show a sneak peek of 3D Mario to wet people's appetites.

'Want Zelda at launch on your brand new Switch? Buy Skyrim." - this would an interesting ad. Add a Skyrim bundle while at it. /jk

Yeah, this is my main point on the Zelda thing. It seems like that would be a pretty bad idea just because it would starting the console off with a dissapointment. Even if they did have the next Mario at launch, I know I would not buy it at launch if they did that. I'm not really a good example though, because I'm not buying it at launch regardless, I've got a Wii U to get a little more use out of and I'm waiting for a more portable Switch anyways.

Taker666

There's always the chance Nintendo and Bethesda has done a deal and we'll get Skyrim -The Legend of Zelda Edition....full to the brim with official Zelda mods.
That way Skyrim gets more sales and you've got a nice bone to throw for those who wanted Zelda at launch.

Yeah, this is my main point on the Zelda thing. It seems like that would be a pretty bad idea just because it would starting the console off with a dissapointment. Even if they did have the next Mario at launch, I know I would not buy it at launch if they did that. I'm not really a good example though, because I'm not buying it at launch regardless, I've got a Wii U to get a little more use out of and I'm waiting for a more portable Switch anyways.

I don't see why he thinks it's funny when nobody said that. Of course BotW is the much bigger deal than 3D Mario. It will bring the more hardcore gamer and PS4/X1 gamer to the Switch faster than 3D Mario.

I hope BotW is launching and not 3D Mario for Nintendo.

There's always the chance Nintendo and Bethesda has done a deal and we'll get Skyrim -The Legend of Zelda Edition....full to the brim with official Zelda mods.
That way Skyrim gets more sales and you've got a nice bone to throw for those who wanted Zelda at launch.

Yeah, I've seen mentions of things like this. It makes it more appealing if they were to add some Nintendo stuff in it.

Too little shown. If they had more I feel it would have had the same amount of screentime as BOTW. How often has it been that we've seen the first footage for such a big game just 5 months before it launches? Nintendo typically takes their time with these things, I don't see a game shown with as little footage as that to come out in March, probably Summer or Fall.

Let's take this "amount of footage we've seen = how soon it's coming" logic to its conclusion:

If Mario is coming in summer or fall because Nintendo showed only 6-7 seconds of Mario footage in the Switch trailer, Nintendo will have absolutely no games at Switch launch besides Zelda and Skyrim because no games got as much screen time (or more screen time) as they did.

Or we could take Nintendo's comments at face value and conclude that we can't say anything about what Switch's lineup will be (or how long we'll wait until any given game) until January.

I have to admit if Nintendo launches with 3D Mario there's no way BotW isn't ready before E3? I just feel like it'll look weird seeing it at E3 again.

Maybe 3D Mario at launch and BotW the following month?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't see why he thinks it's funny when nobody said that. Of course BotW is the much bigger deal than 3D Mario. It will bring the more hardcore gamer and PS4/X1 gamer to the Switch faster than 3D Mario.

Yeah, I agree with this. Zelda BotW would have a wider appeal which could help also the 3rd parties, while 3d Mario is very focused, very Nintendo and in the one genre that doesn't get other games along.

Plus Zelda BotW is a known quantity, Mario 3d has the potential of splitting the fandom if it's not exactly like the God-like Galaxy.

I have to admit if Nintendo launches with 3D Mario there's no way BotW isn't ready before E3? I just feel like it'll look weird seeing it at E3 again.

Maybe 3D Mario at launch and BotW the following month?

May seems like a good option and quite favourite for Nintendo launches (MK8, Splatoon).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I see. Thank you. (Said GAFer, if you're reading this please feel free to PM me. Thanks.)

Knows which? No Zelda at launch? Even after all the delays?

The delay pointed at a generic 2017 despite the super secret console being pre announced for march

And I never said they moved BotW for Skyrim. I said if 3D Mario will launch instead of Zelda then Skyrim will get more sales since the fanbase for Mario and Skyrim are so different. People kept saying how BotW and Skyrim share a closer fanbase.

You are probably right about that. I didn't mean to imply you were explicitly saying Nintendo would delay BOTW for Skyrim, I was more interested in pointing out that the benefits of launching BOTW with the system would outweigh the better sales Skyrim would have in its absence, which I think was probably already clear to you in retrospect. Mostly, I'm just trying to say BOTW missing the launch seems very unlikely to me, and the 3D Mario game strikes me as something a few months further off.

Starting June with it seems like a better idea because we could go into E3 with it fresh on out minds. Basically, I guess I'm just more confident that BOTW is ready for launch, and since I think that they should only launch with BOTW or 3D Mario, and I'm more confident on BOTW, then 3D Mario seems like a game to keep in that salvo for later.

Yeah, I agree with this. Zelda BotW would have a wider appeal which could help also the 3rd parties, while 3d Mario is very focused, very Nintendo and in the one genre that doesn't get other games along.

Plus Zelda BotW is a known quantity, Mario 3d has the potential of splitting the fandom if it's not exactly like the God-like Galaxy.

May seems like a good option and quite favourite for Nintendo launches (MK8, Splatoon).

Yeah. It'll be interesting to see. We can only guess and speculate so much about the games and their placement until Nintendo talks. He we are only talking about first party games. Who knows what third party games or collaborations they have up there sleeves.

My hope is if BotW isn't ready for launch, then it's fine there's nothing you can do about it. Ideally, like we agree it's the bigger game between it and 3D Mario so I hope they can get it out as fast they can in a spot to keep the momentum going once the Switch launches.

I don't see why he thinks it's funny when nobody said that.

It's the implication made by BOTW missing launch. There is no need to be this serious about it.

Let's take this "amount of footage we've seen = how soon it's coming" logic to its conclusion:

If Mario is coming in summer or fall because Nintendo showed only 6-7 seconds of Mario footage in the Switch trailer, Nintendo will have absolutely no games at Switch launch besides Zelda and Skyrim because no games got as much screen time (or more screen time) than they did.

Or we could take Nintendo's comments at face value and conclude that we can't say anything about what Switch's lineup will be (or how long we'll wait until any given game) until January.

Alright. How about I just say that it's a feeling I have. I'm not trying to say I can see the future OK? It's kind of odd how many people are taking issue with this. You bring up some good points, and now I'm less convinced that 3D Mario cannot make it to launch.

The delay pointed at a generic 2017 despite the super secret console being pre announced for march

This is a good point. It would simply be a big dissapointment for them to miss the launch of the system. I guess we'll see.

I gotta go now, but it has been interesting talking about this. I hope BOTW and the new 3D Mario are both ready to launch within the first few months of the system, and hopefully they've got a lot of bombshells they're planning to reveal at E3/January 12th.

TheMoon

Serious question:

would it really matter to anyone here (take off your amateur business hats) if Zelda launched in March or May?

Serious question:

would it really matter to anyone here (take off your amateur business hats) if Zelda launched in March or May?

Plans I have for time off in March (during my wife's spring break) would give me much more time to play Zelda then than later on in May. It'd probably give me more time than Mario will take up.

KevinG

As long as there's a game to at launch to keep me occupied for a month or so until then, I'm fine.

I'm not buying a Switch for remasters. I'm buying a Switch for new Nintendo games, whether that be Mario, Zelda, new IP, another old IP, whatever.

n0razi

As upset as I'd be if Zelda isn't at launch, I could deal with it if 3D Mario is coming on day one.

If neither hits launch, WTF

Also, MAN, if BotW isn't at launch, Wii U owners continue to get screwed over, as they'll be waiting even longer for this game to release on their system.

Watch it be delayed to Switch 2

LordKano

I am sympathetic to people who can't wait but this is a straight up crazy thing to say.

I mean, the game has already been delayed two times, of course it would be bothering if it get delayed a third time (yes, I know, they haven't officially announced a March 2017 release).

Also I have exams on May so I wouldn't be able to play it as much as it if release on March

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Serious question:

I don't know. There hasn't been a new 3d Zelda in more than 5 years. 2 months won't kill me I guess. But it would temper my enthusiasm.

I wonder if Nintendo will give any benefits to Wii U owners when purchasing the Switch?

It would be in nice faith, but I'm not expecting it.

Zedark

Serious question:

I wouldn't mind it, but as a long lost Nintendo gamer, I would like at least one big Nintendo game at launch (Zelda or 3d Mario) to get firmly into the Nintendo IP again (although my longing mostly goes out to Pokémon and Fire Emblem). No big Nintendo game at launch would sting a little bit, although it is not a dealbreaker per se for me.

Top Bottom