• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Presentation - January 12th

RETRO is very slow, though. If you have PG the same amount of time and money they'd be very consistent as well.
RETRO was founded on 1998 and has put out 5 games, 3 of which are sequels.
Platinum was founded on 2006 and has put out around 13 with only 1 direct sequel. Just because they had some licensed projects with short dev times does not make their portfolio suddenly unimpressive.
I think RETRO is the one that has more to prove after taking a whopping 3 years and 3 months to put out a 2D platformer sequel.

They worked on a pretty sizable chunk of Mario Kart 7 in-between their two Donkey Kong games.

Edit - Apparently just the art for the retro tacks.

Astral Dog

They could absolutely be holding it back. Nintendo does this all the time. Maybe Nintendo doesn't think both Mario and Zelda on day one makes sense? Regardless of whether or not I agree with that, it's an understandable position to take. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii U version of BotW is ready to go right now, but is being held for a simultaneous release.

I really don't see BotW being released next fall. That would essentially make one of Switch's big hitters for the first holiday season (and eight months after launch) a Wii U game, even if that game is Zelda.

If Zelda isn't a launch title, I think it'll be released pretty early on in the console's life to keep the momentum going.

Exactly! You have to wonder if stores will have any Wii U software on their shelves by that point.

i think they will, even if its only Zelda and a few titles.
no reason to think that has any importance on when they decide to launch BoTW

i think they will, even if its only Zelda and a few titles.
no reason to think that has any importance on when they decide to launch BoTW

Yeah, I kind of walked that one back a bit earlier. Nintendo could always partner with a retailer for the Wii U version if most stores aren't selling Wii U software anymore.

I still don't think the game is coming over a year from now though.

Here is no way it's not a launch title. But they better not have the switch version come out a month beforehand. Like they did with the wii.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
They worked on a pretty sizable chunk of Mario Kart 7 in-between their two Donkey Kong games.

Their art team worked on environment art for those retro tracks.

RETRO is very slow, though. If you have PG the same amount of time and money they'd be very consistent as well.
Platinum was founded on 2006 and has put out around 13 with only 1 direct sequel

I'm not a fan of either particularly, but this comparison is apples and oranges. Retro Studios is a game company that only works for a first-party publisher, Platinum Games works for a variety of publishers. Their output is going to be different on that circumstance alone. Platinum Games also HEAVILY outsources to make those 2-3 games a year.

I don't take quantity over quality. Platinum may make more games, but they've had their fair share of bad games.

Everything that comes out of Retro Studios is great. They arguably created the greatest 2D platformer in DKCTF and they created one of the greatest games ever in Metroid Prime. With Platinum you know you're going to get another Action game and you don't even know if it will end up being a good game.

EulaCapra

Just realized there's probably going to be a crazy amount of colorful and printed faceplate covers......... in Japan.

North America will be all like, "LOL fuck you. Be grateful we got you red, blue, black, white, and pink!'

Platinum was founded on 2006 and has put out around 13 with only 1 direct sequel. Just because they had some licensed projects with short dev times does not make their portfolio suddenly unimpressive.
I think RETRO is the one that has more to prove after taking a whopping 3 years and 3 months to put out a 2D platformer sequel.

Retro is slow because every video game developer is slow. Platinum is larger and do a lot of contract work for smaller budgets and staff. Hell, when you get right down to it, Hideki Kamiya is taking 4+ years between his games so it's not like their output among individual teams is any faster. You can't compare the two.

sanstesy

How weird to compare the output of Retro to PG.

Retro Studios have ~70 employees while Platinum Games have ~200 employees and heavily outsource a lot of their work load to other studios. Of course PG have way more output than Retro, especially as they are an independent developer that have to make money in order to stay alive as a development studio.

Platinum is a hired gun. Obviously if a publisher hires them to fart out some crappy licensed cash-in it's going to suffer compared to a passion project, but they need to take those projects in order to ensure they *can* stick around long enough to make those passion projects. Part of why their games may vary when it comes to what they are, the budget, amount of time they get etc. is at the discretion of the various publishers, which is really a key thing to keep in mind when looking at their games.

Retro are owned by Nintendo and as such don't have to worry about that as long as the games they make deliver. Which they do. They can afford to take their time.

I'm saying this as someone who loves both. Having either for the Switch would excite me just as much.

God, now I'm imagining Okami 2 with the Breath of the Wild engine... It'd never happen but MAN can I dream...

Terrell

All the remasters/relaunches for the games we saw in the presentation, should be 30 bucks and branded as some kind of "basics" games. Perfect chance for someone buying the console on day one that didnt have a WiiU. If they want new games, one got Zelda or Mario.

This is a very key point. All the talk about "no, they'll be $50-60 because reasons" doesn't really stack up. They don't need to make money on a full-price release of these ports, they have NEW GAMES for that.

And pricing the enhanced ports lower means you are more likely to see someone buy them in tandem with a new title because they'll want them, but price them the same as another game and they could end up waiting for a price drop or a much later date to own it, and as anyone in sales will tell you, the moment someone sits on a purchase they want, the less likely that purchase ever gets made in the first place.

And nothing we've seen or heard indicates massive sweeping changes to these titles to warrant $50-60.

So i see everyone is discussing bundles and seeing nintendo games packed in.

But we're all forgetting Nintendo's blue ocean ambition and need. They would have not sold that many wiis with mario instead of wii sport in the bundle. There has to be something we're not seeing here.

Tell that to Japan, where it was never bundled in the first place and the console still sold like mad. There's a lot more to this discussion than people are giving it credit for, that much I will grant you.

I'm talking about how Nintendo supposedly purposely shorts stock to artificially create demand. They need to stop those games.

Have you recently left cryogenic stasis or something? That bullshit Wii-era talking point was debunked YEARS ago.

It will be hard to convince customers to buy the Switch if it mostly just has Wii U ports or Wii U-like games at the beginning, and is even more expensive than the Wii U and other systems.

You may want to define this, because it doesn't make much sense to me at the moment.

Time has also shown that the handheld market won't buy handheld systems above $200

The "handheld market" isn't much of a thing anymore outside of Japan and their handheld market has sustained pricey offerings better than North America and Europe.

It all comes down to value. Handhelds weren't valued high because they offered a significantly "lesser" experience to other dedicated gaming devices. With the release of Vita, we learn that "similar but separate because portable" wasn't what people wanted, either. Putting a "console on the go" out in the market changes the nature of valuation. We'll have to see what that valuation is in due time.

I don't have anything against Miis, I just don't like when they include them in games that have nothing to do with them, they were cool on Nintendoland, Miiverse, but totally out of place on Smash, Sonic, Mario, etc... IMO.

I must have forgot where Nintendo forced people to utilize the Mii character option. I know I haven't. And if you trot out the "fighting Mii team" in Smash, it's about as out of place as wire-frame nobodies were in the previous games, so...

Yeah, I think that contributes also to me growing to dislike them. Mii was perfect for the Wii. And for 3ds. But now seems like a relic from the past. Even on Wii U. Everything else got such nice upgrades, just look at all the other characters in Mario Kart 8 that the Mii just don't fit anymore. Maybe Nintendo will upgrade them somehow to the HD era.

Miis have been seeing iterative improvement since the start of their use on 3DS and only continue to do so. I would imagine that Nintendo would continue that evolution.

That would only be possible for downloaded versions of the Wii U games, and you'd also then have to download the Switch enhanced versions for a discount. As you'd need Nintendo ID to recognise your purchases.

And? For that limited subset of people, you're not sacrificing all that much by offering such a discount, nor is it even slightly difficult to do. And you gain a lot of positive talk about your online storefront and a happy set of customers. Where's the problem?

I don't see why they would do this in any way. We purchased the games on Wii U, we enjoyed them. I don't expect a discount if they added additional content to the game. If it is a straight port with upgraded graphics then it should be a reduced price. $39.99. But if they add more cups, characters, and other content to MK8, for example weshouldn't get a discount.

So let me break this down as a hypothetical internal dialogue:

---

I'm an owner of Mario Kart 8. I bought the game, I highly enjoyed it. I pre-ordered the DLC as well, because WOW, look at all the cool stuff it adds to the game! New cups, new characters, other content... and I was OK with doing that, because it was a fraction of the price of a wholly new game.

So MK8 is releasing on Switch. Good, I really like that game. Oh, it's in 1080p, great! Oh, even better, it has more content like what I got from that DLC pack! How much?

.... oh, $60? Thanks, I'll just play it on the Wii U I still own and wait for the DLC additions there.

... wait, so you're telling me that this content that you could have easily added to MK8 since it's the same base game as the one releasing on Switch and that I would have paid for as Wii U DLC is now behind another $60 purchase? You're charging $60 for something I could have got for DLC for that much less? AND I can't pay for the privilege of this over-priced DLC unless I buy your $250-300 new hardware, too?

That's BULLSHIT. You made your premium on me when I bought the game the first time!

---

And it's difficult to disagree with that without sounding like a corporate apologist.

You don't get a discount from buying a new iPhone every year, you also don't get a discount everytime we buy a new version of Madden and Fifa.

Yes, because the business practices of Electronic Arts are totally the ones you want to take the lead from.

Besides, worst examples EVER, people have been pissing and moaning about $60 yearly Madden, FIFA and the cost of iPhones for the better part of a decade now and it gets louder and louder every year.

Nintendo should not do this, unless there is absolutely no difference except refined graphics optimized for Switch, or God forbid, it is lacking features from the previous version.

Wait, "should not"? That's... an interesting take.

Miis are just childish. Imagine if they'd showed Miis during that Switch reveal trailer. They would have looked so out of place and would have been a laughing stock. They need to evolve them if they are going to keep the concept around. Shit, given the audience of that trailer, XBox avatars would be more appropriate.
giphy.gif

Speely

Banned
All I'm saying is that if Nintendo is really doing a "reboot," they might wanna look at StarTropics. Imagine if that was the IP that Retro was re-envisioning in a different format, much like they did with Metroid.

Do want.

All I'm saying is that if Nintendo is really doing a "reboot," they might wanna look at StarTropics. Imagine if that was the IP that Retro was re-envisioning in a different format, much like they did with Metroid.

Do want.

That would be great.

Btw I've seen some people say what if Tantalus is the one porting some of these games like Mario Kart to Switch?

Toparaman

Banned
Retro isn't overrated WTF is going on here?
They made one incredible game 14 years ago and haven't even come close to matching it since. I'd say they're plenty overrated. MP 2 and 3 are very derivative of the original, and their DKC games don't really bring anything new to the 2D platformer genre.

I doubt that the creative leads of the first MP are even with the company anymore.

They made one incredible game 14 years ago and haven't even come close to matching it since. I'd say they're plenty overrated. MP 2 and 3 are very derivative of the original, and their DKC games don't really bring anything new to the 2D platformer genre.

I doubt that the creative leads of the first MP are even with the company anymore.

We can argue all day on whether or not it brought something new to the table, but Tropical Freeze is a masterclass in platform design. One of the greatest games the genre has ever seen.

LordKano

Well that's not because you've made an incredible masterpiece once that all your other inferior works are worthless. MP2 is good and MP3 is amazing. I didn't like DKCR but DKCTF is way better and a great platformer.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Miis have been seeing iterative improvement since the start of their use on 3DS and only continue to do so. I would imagine that Nintendo would continue that evolution.

I thought the start of Miis was on Wii. What improvements did the Miis as characters got since their debut on Wii?

Rodin

Yeah i wonder why a team of ~70 people doesn't release 3 games a year

Lmfao

Either you haven't played them or you have no idea of what the word derivative means. If Prime 2 and 3 are derivative then every freaking sequel ever released is, but that's not how it works.

About DK, they rebooted the series with a game that far exceeded the classics from RARE (RARE, not some random studio) and improved on it with TF, which is the best platform of all time by a large margin and a true masterpiece of level design. So no, they don't even come close to being overrated. I know how people love to randomly throw around this word on the internet, but in this case, of all the studios out there, they're amongst those who qualify less. If anything, seeing the laughable scores TF got, they're a bit UNDERrated because they worked on two platforms recently, and god forbid anyone does that!

Yes they are, they're called Kensuke Tanabe and Shigeru Miyamoto. Ask pacini.

It also blows my mind how this argument gets thrown around so often. EVERY studio has developers who leave it, but guess what? Others join, and in this case they're always supervised by a Nintendo internal team, which yes, makes a huge difference. You can ask pacini about this too.

Retrobox

About DK, they rebooted the series with a game that far exceeded the classics from RARE (RARE, not some random studio) and improved on it with TF, which is the best platform of all time by a large margin and a true masterpiece of level design. So no, they don't even come close to being overrated. I know how people love to randomly throw around this word on the internet, but in this case, of all the studios out there, they're amongst those who qualify less. If anything, seeing the laughable scores TF got, they're a bit UNDERrated because they worked on two platforms recently, and god forbid anyone does that!

Oh oh, SOMEONE didn't get the memo that Tropical Freeze was just another generic 2D platformer that no one asked for!

Yes, I've read these comments on here and elsewhere too. Fairly unreal

KooopaKid

Banned
I'm not sure if Retro still has the talent to create an original IP or a new Metroid game.
I would prefer Nintendo Japan studios to handle the art at least because I found Metroid Prime designs just too american (Hunters, Federation soldiers, industrial/metallic areas, ugh) and their DKC games while OK are just too safe and not quirky enough compared to the cheer joy of something like Jungle Beat.

Wait... What?

Metroid Prime: GOAT tier
Metroid Prime 2: GOAT/GOTY tier
Metroid Prime 3: GOTY tier

DDKCR: GOTY tier
DKCRTF: GOAT tier

They have two games as greatest of all time candidates in their portfolio, and three other amazing games of their respective years. We can even put to debate if Echoes is GOAT worthy (because it is, imo).

They produced 2 masterpieces and 3 incredible games in less than what.. 15 years?... as a first party Studio (with all the limitations that comes with it). That's one hell of a score to match.

I mean, you are free to think all of them are not for you, and I respect that. But to think their work isn't worth the praise, than we have a problem...

ggx2ac

At least Retro are consistent in quality......

I don't doubt that although that's in part of Nintendo pulling in the reigns. Everyone still remembers the story of how Miyamoto dropped a number of their projects and just had them focus on one game: Metroid Prime while also doing supervision.

Why I said they're overrated is that most people put Retro Studios on a pedestal, all they've worked on are spin-offs of two well known franchises and they haven't been able to do an original IP that would help define the studio's strengths other than having a guiding hand from Nintendo SPD.

Someone else pointed out how Retro Studios takes long because they're at 70+ staff and don't outsource their work. Well shit, maybe they should be given the budget to outsource their work to get games done faster but it's obvious Nintendo don't see them the way they see Masahiro Sakurai.

Sakurai gets given Bandai Namco to help develop Smash Bros on 3DS and Wii U. Whereas Retro's last title flopped so badly that Nintendo wouldn't put in the extra budget to let Retro outsource to have more than one project done every three years.

Retro's titles are acclaimed but they're just not on the level of system sellers as other titles are. Hence why I said, if they could work on an original IP, it could be a success for them just like how Splatoon became a success that Nintendo would throw everything at the development team behind that game to get the next iteration on the Switch as soon as possible.

I'm not sure if Retro still has the talent to create an original IP or a new Metroid game.
I would prefer Nintendo Japan studios to handle the art at least because I found Metroid Prime designs just too american (Hunters, Federation soldiers, industrial/metallic areas, ugh) and their DKC games while OK are just too safe and not quirky enough compared to the cheer joy of something like Jungle Beat.

How do you come to the conclusion Retro doesn't have the talent to make an original game or a new Metroid. It's so annoying seeing this I swear. Retro is not Retro without Nintendos influence and philosophy.

Peru

People overstate the importance of, say, some Metroid Prime key staff leaving. Did those people go off to make MP level games? No. And the work culture, the shared knowledge, the symbiosis with Nintendo still remains at Retro, and that's the most important thing.

N.Grim

This comparison makes no sense, they are smaller

Aldric

Tropical Freeze is as good as Metroid Prime. l don't get why it'd need to "bring anything new" to the genre to be a fantastic game, quality and novelty are two entirely different things.

And no, the creative minds behind Metroid Prime aren't with Retro anymore. They left to make a shithouse Batman game and a solid but unremarkable Xbox One exclusive.

I thought the start of Miis was on Wii. What improvements did the Miis as characters got since their debut on Wii?
I think what Terrell is saying is that with their second major appearance on 3DS, they got iterative improvements. They got more options to build characters with. Basically every section got new shapes added to those that were already there on Wii. Still the same limited shitty color selection for hair, though.

I don't recall any further improvements on Wii U--probably not, because various software let you use 3DS-created Miis on Wii U and vice-versa.

KingBroly

Banned
Their art team worked on environment art for those retro tracks.

I'm not a fan of either particularly, but this comparison is apples and oranges. Retro Studios is a game company that only works for a first-party publisher, Platinum Games works for a variety of publishers. Their output is going to be different on that circumstance alone. Platinum Games also HEAVILY outsources to make those 2-3 games a year.

I think people want Retro expanded. I do too, but I guess Nintendo doesn't because people don't stay there, making it hard to expand.

correojon

Wow, are we really doubting Retro? The Metroid Prime Trilogy is GOAT material and Sanctuary Fortress in MP2 is possibly the BEST LEVEL EVER. It features amazing level design, cool story moments, awesome lore, incredible music, genius puzzles, perfect use of game mechanics...I could spend an hour singing praises to this level alone.

The DK games are stellar and Tropical Freeze is a serious candidate to best platformer ever. If you take some time to analyze their games you´ll find that in each of them Retro exhibits genius level design skills and understands how to design gameplay mechanics that make them even better. Any single level of Tropical Freeze has more different mechanics than many game series while keeping consistency and at the same time allowing different playstyles depending on the companion you use, on if you´re going for Time Attack, or on if you´re taking your time exploring for Puzzle Pieces. Add to that an awesome attention to detail (many levels have unique assets) and levels even having a narrative structure intertwined flawlessly with the level mechanics. In the Fruit Island the narrative is shared through all levels as you see how the fruit is collected, transported, cut down, licuated, frozen and finally eaten by the boss, while at the same time each level having it´s individual little story. That´s no happy accident, that´s Retro saying that they have absolute mastery of what they´re doing even to the smallest detail.

Before playing TF I too was disappointed that Retro left MP to focus on the DK series, now I don´t care what they do, I´ll buy it day one even if it´s in a genre I don´t like, their track is consistently stellar.

Shiggy

You may want to define this, because it doesn't make much sense to me at the moment.

Wii U failed by just providing Wii+ experiences in the beginning (i.e. little was new compared to Wii). Now with Switch apparently getting a bunch of Wii U+ ports, do you think that would convince customers all of a sudden who completely ignored the Wii U?

MoonFrog

I don't doubt that although that's in part of Nintendo pulling in the reigns. Everyone still remembers the story of how Miyamoto dropped a number of their projects and just had them focus on one game: Metroid Prime while also doing supervision.

Why I said they're overrated is that most people put Retro Studios on a pedestal, all they've worked on are spin-offs of two well known franchises and they haven't been able to do an original IP that would help define the studio's strengths other than having a guiding hand from Nintendo SPD.

Someone else pointed out how Retro Studios takes long because they're at 70+ staff and don't outsource their work. Well shit, maybe they should be given the budget to outsource their work to get games done faster but it's obvious Nintendo don't see them the way they see Masahiro Sakurai.

Sakurai gets given Bandai Namco to help develop Smash Bros on 3DS and Wii U. Whereas Retro's last title flopped so badly that Nintendo wouldn't put in the extra budget to let Retro outsource to have more than one project done every three years.

Retro's titles are acclaimed but they're just not on the level of system sellers as other titles are. Hence why I said, if they could work on an original IP, it could be a success for them just like how Splatoon became a success that Nintendo would throw everything at the development team behind that game to get the next iteration on the Switch as soon as possible.

A lot of that is on Nintendo, frankly and the way they have mismanaged and squandered western partners since at least the GCN days. Retro is the success story among all that, relatively speaking, but yes, it is not growing, going its own way, etc. (as far as we know, although there are those rumors they're doing new IP this time). That they don't see Retro as as valuable as Sakurai is not because Retro isn't valuable. It is because Nintendo sees limited value in a) Metroid Prime and b) western studios.

Moreover, the idea that being a system seller is the only thing a game can do for your software library...that's a bit myopic. There are games that move systems, there are games that keep the faithful engaged with your system, there are games that polish the pedigree of your system, etc.

Wii U failed by just providing Wii+ experiences in the beginning (i.e. little was new compared to Wii). Now with Switch apparently getting a bunch of Wii U+ ports, do you think that would convince customers all of a sudden who completely ignored the Wii U?

There's context to everything. The Wii U had little hype and tons of confusion. Switch is the complete opposite and millions of people don't even know the Wii U exists.

NotLiquid

The market didn't buy a Wii U for a plethora of reasons, so odds are there is a massive untapped market that hasn't yet experienced those games, making upgraded ports understandable in this case. The initial shelf life of the Switch is going to be wholly dependent on how much people find the console and the concept itself desirable, it depends if Nintendo can uphold the hype and momentum they've gained. There's no doubt going to be at least one or two exclusives. Breath of the Wild might not be an exclusive per se but it's going to be far more of a boon for the Switch than the Wii U.

Shiggy

There's context to everything. The Wii U had little hype and tons of confusion. Switch is the complete opposite and millions of people don't even know the Wii U exists.

The confusion part is definitely true. The hype part on Switch is a bit overstated as price and full lineup aren't really know - therefore current hype outside of the hardcore audience is limited.

The market didn't buy a Wii U for a plethora of reasons, so odds are there is a massive untapped market that hasn't yet experienced those games, making upgraded ports understandable in this case. The initial shelf life of the Switch is going to be wholly dependent on how much people find the console and the concept itself desirable, it depends if Nintendo can uphold the hype and momentum they've gained. There's no doubt going to be at least one or two exclusives. Breath of the Wild might not be an exclusive per se but it's going to be far more of a boon for the Switch than the Wii U.

Had the Wii U lineup in itself been convincing, then sales would have been at least somewhat better. Switch obviously needs to offer more than just that. The appeal of 3D Zeldas is also not nearly as big as the appeal of a new Mario or Mario Kart game. Zelda might fare better with hardcore gamers, but to generate sales Mario Kart and Mario would be a better choice.

ASIS

The confusion part is definitely true. The hype part on Switch is a bit overstated as price and full lineup aren't really know - therefore current hype outside of the hardcore audience is limited.
This is so true. We are all pretty hardcore gamers so we know quite a bit. But the average joe is still not aware that the Switch exists. But at the very least the Switch got people talking outside the Nintendo circle. That's already a better starting point than the Wii U.

correojon

I don't understand. Is it official that the switch game library only consist of WiiU ports?
When was this confirmed?

I´m surprised by this too, Nintendo dev teams have been silent for some time now, it´s hard to believe all they´ve been working on are BotW, new 3D Mario and ports of Splatoon and MK8. Pikmin 4 was supposed to be ready by now, Retro is working on something...I´m sure there are some surprises.

Oddish1

I think Sakurai gets outsourced studios because he's not a game development studio. He's a single person. Who's not even directly employed by Nintendo. No kidding he gets other game studios to help him make a game because he can't very well make a game by himself.

Haganeren

So for you, a 2D platformer sequel is not something that can take time ? Because it definetly is.. ESPECIALLY in the case of Tropical Freeze which ooze of details everywhere. Every plateform is justified in the universe of the game and the production value is incredible. It's a very very hard game to make, not for the concept indeed, but for the execution...
It always baffle me how because plateformer CAN be made in like one year, people don't see the value of taking a lot longer to create them.... The end result is that Tropical Freeze is now my favorite 2D plateformer of all time after Yoshi's Island... And i don't think it would have been the case with less time. (But yeah, after saying that, i guess i don't know either)

Well, other than that, Retro Studio helped with co development of Metroid Prime Hunter, 3DS version of Donkey Kong (which is a completly different platform) and Mario Kart 7... That's something.

And finally, the biggest argument i have, Retro Studio have 70 employees and Platinuum Games 193 according to Wikipedia.... So yeah, that could explain the fact that Platinuum Games can make more game.

Shiggy

This is so true. We are all pretty hardcore gamers so we know quite a bit. But the average joe is still not aware that the Switch exists. But at the very least the Switch got people talking outside the Nintendo circle. That's already a better starting point than the Wii U.

I fully agree. Lots of my friends saw the first Switch video. And they didn't care about Wii U at all. Now Nintendo needs to try to transform this interest into actual purchases by offering a diverse games lineup at an affordable price - Wii U had and still has neither.

In 2011 when Wii U was revealed there was confusion. In 2012 when it was shown again there was still confusion. It had problems from the beginning. Switch is off to such a better start it's not even funny.

Switch has much more positivity around it compared to the Wii U anytime before it revealed. We'll see the price come January and hopefully it's a good price, but if Nintendo wants casuals then it will be a good price. Idk why people are worried about games. Nintendo combined their groups together. Just because all you hear about are rumors about ports doesn't mean that's all there is.

Does Retros game not matter? Monolith Soft? Third party collaborations? Maybe Nintendo is great at keeping secrets of games? They showed us Splatoon and Mario Kart on their own accord.

They gave us a sneak peek of 3D Mario. You're hearing rumors 3D Mario might launch with Switch. There's a game about as big as they come from Nintendo and it's an original game.

correojon

So for you, a 2D platformer sequel is not something that can take time ? Because it definetly is.. ESPECIALLY in the case of Tropical Freeze which ooze of details everywhere. Every plateform is justified in the universe of the game and the production value is incredible. It's a very very hard game to make, not for the concept indeed, but for the execution...
It always baffle me how because plateformer CAN be made in like one year, people don't see the value of taking a lot longer to create them.... The end result is that Tropical Freeze is now my favorite 2D plateformer of all time after Yoshi's Island... And i don't think it would have been the case with less time. (But yeah, after saying that, i guess i don't know either)

Well, other than that, Retro Studio helped with co development of Metroid Prime Hunter, 3DS version of Donkey Kong (which is a completly different platform) and Mario Kart 7... That's something.

And finally, the biggest argument i have, Retro Studio have 70 employees and Platinuum Games 193 according to Wikipedia.... So yeah, that could explain the fact that Platinuum Games can make more game.
I love Platinum, but we also have to consider that most of their games use the same basic design. I mean, the combat systems in Bayonetta 1&2, Transformers, TMNT, Korra, even TW101 are very similar. A lot of enemy types are the same too. Not trying to shit on P*, but their big output this last years is possible thanks to them reusing many game systems and mechanics.

I fully agree. Lots of my friends saw the first Switch video. And they didn't care about Wii U at all. Now Nintendo needs to try to transform this interest into actual purchases by offering a diverse games lineup at an affordable price - Wii U had and still has neither.
They have a very good chance to reach a wider audience with Super Mario Run, hope they somehow find a way to use it correctly to generate Switch awareness.

ggx2ac

I think Sakurai gets outsourced studios because he's not a game development studio. He's a single person. Who's not even directly employed by Nintendo. No kidding he gets other game studios to help him make a game because he can't very well make a game by himself.

Alright, you want development studios from Nintendo that needed outsourcing?

I guess the team for Mario Kart 7 doesn't count since Retro is a first party, so let's see.

The team for Mario Kart 8 listed BANDAI NAMCO Studios Inc. and BANDAI NAMCO Games Inc. in the Special Thanks of the Credits so it's not well known what level of involvement they had.

Here we go, Star Fox Zero. Miyamoto couldn't get a large enough team for the game so they outsourced to Platinum Games to do most of the grunt work with assets and art.

The point I was getting at though is that Retro doesn't make system sellers so Nintendo isn't going to throw their weight behind Retro to increase their budget and get more staff for their game development including outsourcing.

Pokémon X/Y is a good example of this, Masuda said in an interview that they had 500 people in the credits, a large number of them were for localisation for their worldwide release because Pokémon is a system seller. Hence, Nintendo threw their weight behind Game Freak.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...s_pokemon_x_and_y_mega_evolutions_and_the_2ds

Top Bottom