• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Previews are coming in

Something I'm wondering.

Won't the battery suffer from being continuosly docked?

I mean, won't the battery life go down because of this? It's supposed to be bad for portable devices to be continuosly charging no?

What would happen if the battery dies, does it need the battery to work while docked?

Pretty sure that's a myth, or at least a lot less relevant today than 15 years ago.

Impulsor

I guess there are safe guards to prevent that the battery gets worse when plugged in. I do hope it stop charging when the battery is full

Pretty sure that's a myth, or at least a lot less relevant today than 15 years ago.

I'm sure it stops charging once full. That's how all modern battery devices work.

I hope so.

I thought that the problem with batteries was that the battery closes the circuit when fully charged, but obviously it loses a little bit of charge overtime, enough for the circuit to open again and start charging up again, so it goes into an endless loop of small discharges/charges and that is what supposedly damages the battery.

It may very well be a m yth, I'm just suddenly concerned.

sammex

Christ, CNET's video was just poking a bit of fun.

It was immediately apparent from Giant Bomb's videos and Easy Allies' unboxing video that the damn kickstand isn't the sturdiest thing in the world, and it falls over very easily.

I think the reaction to the CNET video is infinitely more cringeworthy than the video itself. But that's just me.

Most people would think it's a bit of fun with the music and all... but they are serious. They wrote an article with it. Then added a clarification.

https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/nintendo-switch-kickstand-fall-over-easy-pop-off/

I've heard from a lot of readers that the video I used to try to illustrate the problems with the Switch kickstand...let's just say it fell flat. My intention was to try to reenact real problems I had, but I see now that the video comes across as forced or cheeky -- like a bad '90s infomercial! While I love the comparison, that wasn't my intention. In the future, I'll be illustrating this type of opinion with tests instead of recreations.

Obviously it's not the best kickstand but that video is actually awful. Does it require ten minute reaction videos and stuff? def not.

ramparter

Banned
I just found out that there are pointer controls - Tomorrow Corporation twitted that World of Goo will be played like that when docked - but I've yet to read more about how that works. I mean ok right joycon has IR camera on the bottom but that would require to hold it backwards and also there should be a sensor bar or something else on the tv.

Anyone has more info from the Switch previews on how World of Goo or other games pointer controls work? I'd really like to know more.

Btw the tweet for those interested
There's a Wii-style pointer control when docked. N managed to cram those Joy-cons with a surprising amount of super stars.
https://twitter.com/TomorrowCorp/status/831574577037709312

I just found out that there are pointer controls - Tomorrow Corporation twitted that World of Goo will be played like that when docked - but I've yet to read more about how that works. I mean ok right joycon has IR camera on the bottom but that would require to hold it backwards and also there should be a sensor bar or something else on the tv.

Anyone has more info from the Switch previews on how World of Goo or other games pointer controls work? I'd really like to know more.

Btw

I'm pretty sure they're just going to make use of the gyro in the joy con. This is similar to how on a DS4 you can use the gyro for pointer controls on the keyboard (which works pretty well imo)

Kyzer

Banned
Any word on wifi speed or lan support? Considering going mostly digital but idk if i wanna wait hours for a game to download

ramparter

Banned
I'm pretty sure they're just going to make use of the gyro in the joy con. This is similar to how on a DS4 you can use the gyro for pointer controls on the keyboard (which works pretty well imo)

Hmm I'd like to see how well that works without having a point of reference. One more reason to buy WoG after all these years.

Kyzer

Banned

Btw the tweet for those interested

Once wii moved to wii motion plus a ton of games pointers were just gyro controlled

Anteo

The battery of my original 3ds died around 3 years after I bought it. It became super fat and I had to remove it and wait to import a replacement. Im worried something like that will happe to the switch and I wont be able to remove it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hmm I'd like to see how well that works without having a point of reference. One more reason to buy WoG after all these years.

Played Skyward Sword? It works exactly like that. All the pointer controls (aiming, selecting things in the menus, etc) are 100% gyro based, they don't use the IR at all. IR was only used to calibrate "forward" for the sword, so it pointed in the right direction.

correojon

I hope so.

I thought that the problem with batteries was that the battery closes the circuit when fully charged, but obviously it loses a little bit of charge overtime, enough for the circuit to open again and start charging up again, so it goes into an endless loop of small discharges/charges and that is what supposedly damages the battery.

It may very well be a m yth, I'm just suddenly concerned.

They usually have an hysteresis to avoid this, meaning that the battery won´t start charging immediately when it drops to 99.9%, but rather wait for a bigger drop.

Ninja Dom

Any word on wifi speed or lan support? Considering going mostly digital but idk if i wanna wait hours for a game to download

The Wii U Lan adapter is supposed to work on the Switch. But my guess is that the Adapter still uses USB 2.0 speeds.

10848336-1834343855996454.jpg

So is there any other embargo that lifts tomorrow?

I hope we see some reviews and impressions of 1 2 Switch tomorrow. I also hope that press will be bale to download some indies (nindies). I'm a sheep and already know I'm buying Shovel Knight, Fast RMX and Snipperclips, but I like to see reviews and impressions.

I kind of see it as a miss that they haven't been able to access this content (as far as I know).

Reviews of all games not Zelda I assume?

Correct. Zelda is Thursday. But I believe the embargo for that is a different time, like 5AM PST, so it'll be fun to read on my morning commute (CST here).

I might try to avoid all together except for scores though (which I inherently disagree with, just reading scores, but in this case it's to go in fresh!)

EloquentM

aka Mannny
We know there's improvements but we don't know if digital games are hardware tied skus or not.

In other words. We know games tied to account and not specific hardware unit (progress). But we dont know if when I buy NES mario if I'm buying it for Nintendo Account (good, like modern account systems) or for Switch (bad, like 3ds and wiiu)

I need a real account system before buying anything digital.
you're spreading misinformation.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
That little white thing looks very close from what I remember in the haptic video we saw several times here.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
No time to read unfortunately. Do they mention the joycon sync issues?
Nope. Gameblog had a specific article about this this morning, they tried to reproduce the GameExplain test but everything worked fine. It's weird. I'll test mines as soon as I get them.

MoonFrog

Cool preview. Like the embrace of the toy. As I've said a couple times, I really want Nintendo to embrace cute-sexy, like I'd call the GCN. As a handheld, it sounds like that is what the Switch is. Playful, as that preview describes, but also it is also a sleek luxury handheld with a snappy OS, quick boot to game time, powerful handheld specs, etc. as other previews have described.

Cool preview. Like the embrace of the toy. As I've said a couple times, I really want Nintendo to embrace cute-sexy, like I'd call the GCN. As a handheld, it sounds like that is what the Switch is. Playful, as that preview describes, but also it is also a sleek luxury handheld with a snappy OS, quick boot to game time, powerful handheld specs, etc. as other previews have described.

I love the general consensus that this is a device you just want to touch and put your hands on and pick up and play with. I'm all about touch and how things feel, like get me some nice cardstock and I'm in heaven, so I'm looking forward to this.

I played in Chicago but that was in a large group and with a bunch of stuff attached to the controller. But the feel of the Pro Controller did stand out quite a bit.

ramparter

Banned
We know there's improvements but we don't know if digital games are hardware tied skus or not.

In other words. We know games tied to account and not specific hardware unit (progress). But we dont know if when I buy NES mario if I'm buying it for Nintendo Account (good, like modern account systems) or for Switch (bad, like 3ds and wiiu)

I need a real account system before buying anything digital.
You are buying the Switch version of Nes Super Mario Bros for your Nintendo Account. It's another thing if it gonna be honored on other future platforms.

I don't know, people were saying they'd need to have a ROM or some shit. Maybe you could see its presence/absence.

Definitely not a ROM, as that stands for read-only memory (not re-writable). There might be some kind of chip required, but even its presence wouldn't guarantee they could roll out a firmware update over the internet; there would have to be certain software requirements in place as well, which are impossible to see.

I have Zelda, Snipper Clips, and Shovel Knight.

Debating the 1,2 game but that price...

Zelda, Snipperclips, Shovel Knight Treasure Trove, Bomberman, 1,2 Switch (for the wife and our housewarming party) and Fast RMX for me!

Zelda alone will keep me busy until the end of April, but I'm stocking up now.

Who knows if this will change in an hour's time with the Nindies Presentation. Undertale 3/3 would be a must buy.

boiled goose

good with gravy
You are buying the Switch version of Nes Super Mario Bros for your Nintendo Account. It's another thing if it gonna be honored on other future platforms.

If that's the case, not buying shit digitally and not getting a switch till the end of its lifecycle, just like WiiU and 3DS.
The "Switch version" is the same fucking ROM.

When I buy Mario Run, I don't buy the Moto X version for my Google Play account.

The Nintendo account should be the platform tying all Nintendo Hardware together. Just like app store, google play, Steam, amazon, netflix, itunes, etc.
If we get the same outdated digital content management practices again I will be very disappointed. Every time new hardware gets released you basically have to start from scratch. I have no incentive to invest in Nintendo digitally as a platform holder. Just buy cheap used physical games, sell them back when done. I have no problem buying digitally on Steam or Google Play. I know what I'm buying. Ironically, that applies to Nintendo mobile games, but not their mainline games.

Top Bottom