• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Previews are coming in

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Really poor battery life
Well, actually:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._battery_test_reveals_some_surprising_results

recent battery test by our friends over at Family Gamer TV has given some interesting results, with the Switch proving to be longer-lasting than the DSi, 3DS, 2DS, GBA SP and New 3DS, clocking a lifespan of 5 hours, 12 minutes under these particular test conditions: screen on, full brightness, no software running, all wireless connections (if any) enabled. Older handhelds like the Game Boy and GBA which don't have an operating system were left running a game.
DSi - 2.41hrs
3DS - 3.25hrs
iPod Touch 2 - 3.39hrs
2DS - 3.55hrs
Game Boy Advance SP - 3.59hrs
iPad 2 - 4.00hrs
iPad Air - 4.04hrs
New 3DS - 4.04hrs
iPod Touch 3 - 4.13hrs
DS Lite - 4.51hrs
PSP - 4.56hrs
GBA Micro - 4.57hrs
Vita - 5.01hrs
Nintendo Switch - 5.12hrs
iPad Mini 2 - 5.39hrs
DS - 6.51hrs
New 3DS (XL Mugen Battery) - 15.02hrs
GBA - 29.32hrs
Game Boy - 31.12hrs
Game Boy Colour - 35.45hrs
Zelda is a demanding game. This test seems to confirm less intensive titles will last longer, as Nintendo said.

maxcriden

This is probably a really dumb question, but this seems like a good place to ask since I'm on media blackout for Zelda.

My internet is "download as fast as 75 Mbps" but I don't know how fast it really is. I recently upgraded to this from 25 Mbps and haven't noticed a difference. I just did a speed test and it said 36.59 Mbps.

I'm planning on getting Zelda digitally but I may not be able to get it at midnight. How quickly would it download on Switch, like in how many hours? I'm not sure how big the file is. Thank you.

jack....

This is probably a really dumb question, but this seems like a good place to ask since I'm on media blackout for Zelda.

My internet is "download as fast as 75 Mbps" but I don't know how fast it really is. I recently upgraded to this from 25 Mbps and haven't noticed a difference. I just did a speed test and it said 36.59 Mbps.

I'm planning on getting Zelda digitally but I may not be able to get it at midnight. How quickly would it download on Switch, like in how many hours? I'm not sure how big the file is. Thank you.

It should take a little less than an hour at ~36 Mbps

Chorazin

No one knows how bad the network congestion is gonna be on launch, or if Nintendo's servers will hold up. So don't count on how fast games will download based solely on file size and your download speed.

That's honestly really hard to say Max! If your connection were operating at half-to-full capacity and there were no hangups on Nintendo's side, it might take an hour at most. But as stated above, traffic in your area will affect that connection speed and even then it's up to Nintendo to be ready for the traffic they're getting.

I'd say plan on it taking 2 to 3 hours just so your standards are low. That way you'll be quite happy if/when it takes less time!

Jofamo

For some reason our ISP's like to advertise internet speeds in Mbps. 75 Mbps would be your maximum speed available, but you're be unlikely to max that due to things like congestion, your physical distance from the phone switch box etc.

If you divide your Mbps by 8, that's about your download speed. So 75 Mbps would be around 9MB/s download. You've mentioned you're only getting 36.59Mbps, so you're looking at about 4.5MB/s download.

I forget how big BotW is, but to download 1Gb at your speed, would about 4 minutes (I think). Now, the other bottleneck will be how fast the Switch can actually download from the eShop. That, we won't now until launch day.

maxcriden

It should take a little less than an hour at ~36 Mbps

Thanks. What if Nintendo is slow like PSN or XBL though? Even when I had 25 Mbps lady year those downloads of smaller games than Zelda, 1/10 the size, took forever. I thought I heard those services download super slow?

Color Splash was 4.5 GB but you had to download 9 GB I think, that took 2-3 hrs on the "up to 25 Mbps connection."

Will Zelda also require downloading more than the file size?

No one knows how bad the network congestion is gonna be on launch, or if Nintendo's servers will hold up. So don't count on how fast games will download based solely on file size and your download speed.

That's honestly really hard to say Max! If your connection were operating at half-to-full capacity and there were no hangups on Nintendo's side, it might take an hour at most. But as stated above, traffic in your area will affect that connection speed and even then it's up to Nintendo to be ready for the traffic they're getting.

I'd say plan on it taking 2 to 3 hours just so your standards are low. That way you'll be quite happy if/when it takes less time!

For some reason our ISP's like to advertise internet speeds in Mbps. 75 Mbps would be your maximum speed available, but you're be unlikely to max that due to things like congestion, your physical distance from the phone switch box etc.

If you divide your Mbps by 8, that's about your download speed. So 75 Mbps would be around 9MB/s download. You've mentioned you're only getting 36.59Mbps, so you're looking at about 4.5MB/s download.

I forget how big BotW is, but to download 1Gb at your speed, would about 4 minutes (I think). Now, the other bottleneck will be how fast the Switch can actually download from the eShop. That, we won't now until launch day.

Thanks all. I intend be able to play till Friday afternoon so I'm just hoping it takes less than 6 hrs.

JavyOO7

Make sure your cabling is good. I removed a splitter that connected my cable box to the TV and then the other cable went to the modem. It was causing disconnects so I removed it... made sure to tighten all the coax cables and now I'm getting 80mbps... for the first time ever really. A project I wanna do in the future is remove all coax cable in my home, which the cables are pretty old at this point, and get brand new coax cable.

BOTW is 13.4 GB... I imagine servers are going to get rekt that day, so the downloading of the game will take a while. 2-3 hours on that speed, I think.

Joei

So diasspointes I'm not getting a Switch and Zelda this Friday, but I just don't have the time to play. I can not wait to read your guys impressions.

Any D1 patches that we know of? I'd love to play Zelda out of the box as fast as possible

There's a day one console patch, but it'll background download. Not sure if Zelda has one. But yeah, you'll be able to start it up, pop-in Zelda and get going while the system update downloads in the background.

marrec

Banned
"under these particular test conditions: screen on, full brightness, no software running, all wireless connections (if any) enabled."

Well actually that's a completely useless test.

Nah, it allows us to compare the OS battery drain :lol

I mean, it's not like any other portable device can run BOTW so we can't draw direct comparisons anyway. But this test does prove that the battery life is comparable to other devices. It's not like I could play Killzone for 5 hours straight on my Vita.

T.O.P

Banned
Awesome, cheers guys :)

I'd rather not get stucked watching a system update since i even got the day off from work lol

maxcriden

Make sure your cabling is good. I removed a splitter that connected my cable box to the TV and then the other cable went to the modem. It was causing disconnects so I removed it... made sure to tighten all the coax cables and now I'm getting 80mbps... for the first time ever really. A project I wanna do in the future is remove all coax cable in my home, which the cables are pretty old at this point, and get brand new coax cable.

BOTW is 13.4 GB... I imagine servers are going to get rekt that day, so the downloading of the game will take a while. 2-3 hours on that speed, I think.

Thanks Javy. I recently took the cable that went into the TV box and put it directly in the modem so hopefully that helps. Even with servers wrecked, you think it will take only 2-3 hours? I was expecting longer depending how bad it is.

I'm thinking I should pick up a physical BOTW as a back-up....

I suppose at midnight-ish I'll have a faster download than the next morning, most likely.

Any D1 patches that we know of? I'd love to play Zelda out of the box as fast as possible

Not that we know of, though there's reason to believe that there might be one (launch game for new console, bonus content for buying the season pass).

There's a day one console patch, but it'll background download. Not sure if Zelda has one. But yeah, you'll be able to start it up, pop-in Zelda and get going while the system update downloads in the background.

For the system there is one.

It'll download and update in the background, it'll not disrupt the game.

There's going to be a day one system update. Though, its not required to play Zelda.

If you're buying digitally, though, I think the system update will be required first, since you can't access the eShop without it AFAIK.

This doesn't feel right at all. The DS lite battery lasted waaaaay lonver than that.

The DS Lite had a very bright (for its time) screen that nobody had on full. The original DS one was awful in comparison. Plus every handheld prior to the Vita didn't throttle to save power - you get the same play time idling in the menu as you would playing the most demanding game.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Great video from Spawn Wave regarding the infamous CNet kickstand crap.

https://youtu.be/2sVRYF7K0wQ

Christ, CNET's video was just poking a bit of fun.

It was immediately apparent from Giant Bomb's videos and Easy Allies' unboxing video that the damn kickstand isn't the sturdiest thing in the world, and it falls over very easily.

I think the reaction to the CNET video is infinitely more cringeworthy than the video itself. But that's just me.

wachie

Nah, it allows us to compare the OS battery drain :lol

I mean, it's not like any other portable device can run BOTW so we can't draw direct comparisons anyway. But this test does prove that the battery life is comparable to other devices. It's not like I could play Killzone for 5 hours straight on my Vita.
I wouldnt care about OS drain, just gaming battery life. Just like I would care about actual usage and battery life of my phone rather than how great it is in standby and shitty otherwise.

boiled goose

good with gravy
We already know it's not.

We know there's improvements but we don't know if digital games are hardware tied skus or not.

In other words. We know games tied to account and not specific hardware unit (progress). But we dont know if when I buy NES mario if I'm buying it for Nintendo Account (good, like modern account systems) or for Switch (bad, like 3ds and wiiu)

I need a real account system before buying anything digital.

Does anyone know if you need to re-enter your network password every time you disconnect and reconnect to wifi? Every Sunday I'll be taking my Switch with me and connecting to a different wifi connection. Will I need to re-enter my wifi password when I get home or will it remember it and auto connect?

The PS4 is amazing in this regard as it remembers both wifi password 1 and wifi password 2 so once I never have any issue with connecting to wifi at either connection.

Sylas

Does anyone know if you need to re-enter your network password every time you disconnect and reconnect to wifi? Every Sunday I'll be taking my Switch with me and connecting to a different wifi connection. Will I need to re-enter my wifi password when I get home or will it remember it and auto connect?

The PS4 is amazing in this regard as it remembers both wifi password 1 and wifi password 2 so once I never have any issue with connecting to wifi at either connection.
Most (all?) devices save multiple passwords. I have to assume it won't be any different.

Christ, CNET's video was just poking a bit of fun.

It was immediately apparent from Giant Bomb's videos and Easy Allies' unboxing video that the damn kickstand isn't the sturdiest thing in the world, and it falls over very easily.

I think the reaction to the CNET video is infinitely more cringeworthy than the video itself. But that's just me.
Agreed. People are getting defensive about the Switch as if it's a family pet, and most of them haven't even touched it yet.

jonno394

Stupid dtupid question, but i just ordered a pro controller, i can use two joycons and a pro controller for multiplayer in games like Bomberman and Mario kart right?

Stupid dtupid question, but i just ordered a pro controller, i can use two joycons and a pro controller for multiplayer in games like Bomberman and Mario kart right?

I do not know the official response but I would assume so. One could play Smash on the Wii U with different types of controllers.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Even though my BB store is not listed as having a midnight launch, apparently they are having one. Think I might just go even though I have work the next day. Is sleep really that important?

Impulsor

Something I'm wondering.

Won't the battery suffer from being continuosly docked?

I mean, won't the battery life go down because of this? It's supposed to be bad for portable devices to be continuosly charging no?

What would happen if the battery dies, does it need the battery to work while docked?

Mr Swine

Banned
Something I'm wondering.

Won't the battery suffer from being continuosly docked?

I mean, won't the battery life go down because of this? It's supposed to be bad for portable devices to be continuosly charging no?

What would happen if the battery dies, does it need the battery to work while docked?

I guess there are safe guards to prevent that the battery gets worse when plugged in. I do hope it stop charging when the battery is full

Top Bottom