• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo takes down videos of TAS, rom-hacked games on Nicovideo

J@hranimo

Banned
YouTube program, no New 3DS in NA and now this. No matter how good their games are this year, so far all these decisions are not a good look.

And yet I'm still excited for Splatoon lol. Hope this gets reversed or something.

Deft Beck

Please explain how this TAS can be described as "speed-run cheating"?

TASs allow people to demonstrate things possible in a game that are almost impossible to do in real time. As such they are not really representative of what the game is usually like for the average person so you can't even use the same argument of being able to experience the game without playing it yourself like you can with a Let's Play.

Why not just indicate that in an obvious fashion? Just because one person could get confused does not mean that every video should go away.

I'd also like to point out that Nintendo's legal page about not supporting emulators is really badly written. It's like they got someone who was trying to use lawyer speak to convince people that all emulators are bad and illegal but this person wasn't a lawyer at all.

"How come Nintendo doesn't support emulators?"

Seriously? That entire article is full of bad grammar and seems extremely unprofessional.

Chaos17

Tool Assisted run
Programs modders will run to do things like inspect memory while actions are taken in the game, provide the game with inputs beyond a persons ability to do so manually, etc.
It adds a layer of automation that helps people really dig into the root of a game's function, and then help them break it further.

I guess Nintendo wants to keep it "secrets".

i don't think Nintendo is that stupid. if they ever messed with the GDQs, the bad press they would get would be pretty big. it would be they basically blocking charity and that's a big no-no. GDQs will proceed the same as usual.
not to mention everything in the GDQs is done on real hardware. emulators are never used there (except for official ones like Virtual console) and rom hacks are never there at all.

i still want to see Nintendo shoot themselves in the foot just to see the shitstorm.

That's actually wrong, Kaizo Mario (a notoriously difficult SMW hack) was played at AGDQ 2015.

Top Bottom