• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to sell Component cables online AND in select retailers in the US.

antipode

charlequin said:
It's funny to me how every time TVs come up on GAF everyone's like "WHAT DON'T YOU BUY A NEW TV EVERY YEAR!" I only have a TV with S-video because I repoed it from my ex-roomate in lieu of part of the back rent he owes me. Up until September I had my GameCube and my PS2 running off of daisy-chained RF adapters. It's pretty sad, but a pretty huge portion of people are running games off of old TVs.

I can understand that. But still... S-video's been around since the Commodore-64. You can probably go on Craigslist and get a TV with S-video for zero dollars this afternoon. It's not in your interest to buy a 2006 console at launch and games at $50-$60 a piece and yet not take such a tiny amount of effort, at the least to avoid rings around game text that will probably hurt your eyesight.

MoxManiac

charlequin said:
It's funny to me how every time TVs come up on GAF everyone's like "WHAT DON'T YOU BUY A NEW TV EVERY YEAR!" I only have a TV with S-video because I repoed it from my ex-roomate in lieu of part of the back rent he owes me. Up until September I had my GameCube and my PS2 running off of daisy-chained RF adapters. It's pretty sad, but a pretty huge portion of people are running games off of old TVs.

I think your proirities are wrong, that's all. It should go:

1) games
2) equipment to play said games on

then

3) food, rent and essentials

Mejilan said:
I'd love an HDTV but I can't justify the cost, particularly since the industry itself can't seem to quite decide on a solid and final HDTV standard. 720p? no. 1080i? no. 1080p? maybe.

The broadcast industry has settled on 1080i and 720p, and the disc-based movie playback business has settled on 1080p that can be converted to 1080i and 720p.

If you are going to wait for any different or more narrow standard than that, you are going to be waiting for a LONG, LONG time.

jarosh

F*CKHEAD SHITFACE COCKSUCKER ASSHOLE SON OF A BITCH

curbcurse.jpg

jetsetmario said:
Don't you know GAF's motto?

"Upgrade or Die"

I have the same problem when people talk about backwards compatibility as an unimportant feature. Like four or five PS1 games got played on my PS2 this summer alone. **** neophilia.

Mejilan said:
I'd love an HDTV but I can't justify the cost, particularly since the industry itself can't seem to quite decide on a solid and final HDTV standard.

This is one of the reasons the TV market is going to eat itself. The long-term-view smart plan would've been to optimize 1080p technology and launch that last year at a huge premium as the one true HD format, ensure that every HD set can actually display it, and let it slowly seep into the mainstream. The piecemeal, everything's-incompatible approach is a pain in the ass.

On top of that, I don't actually WATCH television, so I'd only use it as a monitor for video gaming and the occasional DVD-watching.

Same here. We have two TVs right now, the repoed one and the old RF-driven one, and the main distinction is that one has a PS2 hooked up and the other a GameCube. We basically never watch broadcast TV and don't have cable.

MoxManiac said:
I think your proirities are wrong, that's all. It should go:

1) games
2) equipment to play said games on

then

3) food, rent and essentials

Haha.

What's funny is that the reason I have the TVs I do is because I put games so high on my priority list. When it comes time to spend pure entertainment disposable income, video games are main thing my wife and I are interested in spending it on, short of spur-of-the-moment dinners out or special events. I could absolutely afford to buy a new TV, but that'd come at the expense of saying no to the next-gen systems for probably several years, or skipping like ten good new games I'd otherwise want to play. What good does that do me?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
It's because I buy so many games that I can't afford/justify spending so much on just one silly little piece of tech.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
The broadcast industry has settled on 1080i and 720p, and the disc-based movie playback business has settled on 1080p that can be converted to 1080i and 720p.

If you are going to wait for any different or more narrow standard than that, you are going to be waiting for a LONG, LONG time.

Broadcast industry is silly and doomed anyway. Eff 'em. Then it's just a matter of waiting for 1080p to take off, become more popular, and more affordable, I guess.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
Maybe someone should e-mail Nintendo with a link to this thread after it's gotten to like 20 pages. The very last person should say something like "WHAT THE ****, NINTENDO. GIVE US OUR ****ING CABLES YOU GIANT ****S", and a mod should turn it into some color and make it as huge as possible. They could also change the title into that, too.

spengo

While this is extremely stupid of Nintendo, some of you guys need to calm down. I bet there will be third party cables like those Pelican ones readily available at launch at brick & mortar stores. Hell, everyone carries Pelican stuff... Best Buy, Walmart, Circuit City, Gamestop, etc. And if there is money to be made there, someone is going to take advantage of it.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
no Wii purchase for me, at least for a while; strictly on principle. It's bad enough it's not HDTV, but no 16:9/480p mandate, and no B&M component cables is just ****ing ridiculous. You are no longer in the 80's Nintendo.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
spengo said:
While this is extremely stupid of Nintendo, some of you guys need to calm down. I bet there will be third party cables like those Pelican ones readily available at launch at brick & mortar stores. Hell, everyone carries Pelican stuff... Best Buy, Walmart, Circuit City, Gamestop, etc. And if there is money to be made there, someone is going to take advantage of it.

Yeah, but it's Pelican.

beermonkey@tehbias said:

Yep.

Also, when buying a TV, all you have to really worry about is the next 5 to 7 years IMO since with these pixed pixel display technologies, most won't last beyond that without some sort of problem. The days of 15 years on the same TV set is pretty much over with the exit of CRTs IMO.

So looking 5~7 years ahead, the only thing one has to worry about is whether 1080p set will benefit you right away and how much you are willing to pay for that. I for one think the smart thing to do (if you are frugal) is to pay less than $1500 on a decent 720p set now (any where from $600 for a 27" direct view LCD to $1200~1500 for a 42"~60" DLP or LCD RP HDTV is the sweet spot right now) and wait a few years until 1080p sets come down to sub $1500 or a better technology sets bring us 1080p at a higher price (like SED TV).

Yea, my main concern here continues to be that Nintendo is so intent on running in the opposite direction of image and audio technology. It's just nuts.

I had high hopes after seeing that most of the launch line up supported 480P and 16:9. This, I thought was a good sign of things to come.

Seriously though, how many third parties will find it relevant to meet such standards when Nintendo practically hides the component that makes it possible from consumers?

Mejilan

The trick is also to find something that will display legacy consoles well though, no? I keep on hearing horror stories about how PS2, N64, even how NES, SNES, and Genny systems display like ass on many LCD sets and whatnot.

I live in a small studio apt. So as much as I'd love to spend money on upgrading my current set to an HDTV set, I can't keep around my current flatscreen CRT as a legacy consolet secondary TV. Nowhere to put it.

_leech_ said:
OMFG, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p are all standard. Read.

I am reading. I don't like what I'm reading one bit. Thus I'm holding off.

Mejilan said:
I'd love an HDTV but I can't justify the cost, particularly since the industry itself can't seem to quite decide on a solid and final HDTV standard. 720p? no. 1080i? no. 1080p? maybe.

OMFG, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p are all standard. Read.

spengo

SS4Gogita said:
Yeah, but it's Pelican.

Well I guess I'm not so hip to the cable market. Is there a big difference in quality for component cables? Thats a serious question, I really don't know.

R-User!

Prince of Space said:
God ****ing dammit, Nintendo. Just....so ****ing stupid.

GOD---Dammit!

Fvck, Fvck, Fvck!

GOD---Dammit!

Fvck, Fvck, Fvck!

GOD---Dammit!

Fvck, Fvck, Fvck!

GOD---Dammit!

Fvck, Fvck, Fvck!

But seriously, is Nintendo going to release an AV Cable that has an S-Video cable also? I thought that I saw a pic of one before... is that only available in Japan?
My TV only has red/yellow/white/S-Video options........

atomsk

Party Pooper
i've got a 27'' non-progressive tv that uses component.

i've got the panasonic q, 360, and ps2 on component on my switchbox. xbox got downgraded to s-video to make room for the 360

going back to s-vid is harsh when you're used to component. even on a non progressive SDTV it is a big image difference. everything is much more crisp and colorful.

at least i'll be living 2 hours away from NYC around when the system launches. here's hoping they do stock the cables at NWS.

Mejilan said:

Well sucks for you then. NTSC has been around for over 50 years so don't expect ATSC to be replaced anytime soon. 720p, 1080i, and 1080p are going to be the industry standards for a long time.

Mejilan

atomsk said:
at least i'll be living 2 hours away from NYC around when the system launches. here's hoping they do stock the cables at NWS.

NWS never stocked GCN component cables. But then again, GCN is GCN. They DID stock the USB wifi dongle for the DS well before any store did, so there is hope. I'll let GAF know the ASAP should they they actually stock the Wii component cables.

loosus

Banned
Mejilan said:
You don't like what you're reading? WTF is wrong with you? They are all standard.

It's one thing to not want an HDTV for financial reasons. It's another to not want one for some bizarro reason like you have.

Mejilan

And, genius, I DID list finances as a reason as well. I bought my current tv (which I'm pleased with) for pretty cheap, all things considered, as a stop-gap. Any HDTV set I buy now would also only be a stop-gap, and I can't justify spending half a grand (or more) on something like that.

_leech_ said:
Well sucks for you then. NTSC has been around for over 50 years so don't expect ATSC to be replaced anytime soon. 720p, 1080i, and 1080p are going to be the industry standards for a long time.

As I said, I'm not even remotely interested in broadcast television. Gaming and on-disc movies are more my style, so once 1080p sets become more prevalent and affordable, I'll start looking and considering with more seriousness.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
Mejilan said:

Okay, geez. Pelican probably isn't the worst 3rd party accessories maker (I actually bought one of their G3 Gamecube controllers and it worked pretty well for a while), but it's obviously going to be worse than whatever Nintendo puts out.

_leech_ said:

Maybe he's holding off for like 2030. Hell, if he wants an exact single resolution/format he might be waiting until the year 3006. Eventually there will be new formats like 4K or something but 720p et al will still be around to support all the stuff that was shot that way.

Anybody who wants to wait around for 720p and 1080i to go away and replaced by 1080p or anything else had better plan on buying their next TV set from the grave.

Dr_Cogent said:
Don't have time to read the whole thread, but can I use my component cables from my Gamecube if I get a Wii?

No. Totally incompatible.

SS4Gogita said:
Okay, geez. Pelican probably isn't the worst 3rd party accessories maker (I actually bought one of their G3 Gamecube controllers and it worked pretty well for a while), but it's obviously going to be worse than whatever Nintendo puts out.

480p sourced from lastgen graphics (we aren't talking about movies here, in terms of color depth) doesn't really need a fantastic cable. You aren't likely to notice the difference. If we were talking 720p I'd say to watch out

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Can someone please try to spin this for me and make me feel better? Like- spin it anyway you want, just give me something to believe in that theres some logic in it/something in it for Nintendo. Because Ive got nothing, and I need something to swallow and be a good Nintendo fanboy.

They're avaliable, right? Fine by me.

I'd agree that I like to see them avaliable a few days before launch to allow for arrival at the same time as the console, but at most a 2-3 day wait isn't the end of the world. Pissing on HDTV owners or people that like the best possible image would only occur if the cables flat out weren't avaliable... But they are, so no pissing going on here.

All Wii purchases are via the Interweb for me, so I actually won't even get the console launch day. Oh well.

Mejilan said:
And, genius, I DID list finances as a reason as well. I bought my current tv (which I'm pleased with) for pretty cheap, all things considered, as a stop-gap. Any HDTV set I buy now would also only be a stop-gap, and I can't justify spending half a grand (or more) on something like that.

As I said, I'm not even remotely interested in broadcast television. Gaming and on-disc movies are more my style, so once 1080p sets become more prevalent and affordable, I'll start looking and considering with more seriousness.

You're being smart, not necessarily cheap. 1080p sets are the way to go if you're waiting, so a year or more from now there'll be some pretty awesome (and cheaper) sets.

Slurpy said:
Can someone please try to spin this for me and make me feel better? Like- spin it anyway you want, just give me something to believe in that theres some logic in it/something in it for Nintendo. Because Ive got nothing, and I need something to swallow and be a good Nintendo fanboy.

There's no spin. Nintendo is being stupid, again. So we just buy our cable online (or get a third party model) and move on. Nobody is saying this is a smart move.

Slurpy said:
Can someone please try to spin this for me and make me feel better? Like- spin it anyway you want, just give me something to believe in that theres some logic in it/something in it for Nintendo. Because Ive got nothing, and I need something.
Ok, here it goes. Only the hardest of the hardcore care about 90's technology like component inputs and they are certainly internet savvy enough to get their set of cables. Sounds like something that would come out of Reggie's mouth right?

Not that it hasn't been said but yeah, pretty stupid. I can understand why they're not pushing HD, but there's plenty of televisions in homes with component inputs.

Vieo

They probably do this for some sort of research. Maybe they want to know how many people will come to their website and order something. Sucks either way though. If they distribute them like GCN cables, expect them to be out of stock for weeks at a time. =/

atomsk

Party Pooper
Mejilan said:
NWS never stocked GCN component cables. But then again, GCN is GCN. They DID stock the USB wifi dongle for the DS well before any store did, so there is hope. I'll let GAF know the ASAP should they they actually stock the Wii component cables.

i had to get the Q cables from NCSX, since it doesnt use the same plug... i think.

if i have to find them online, no biggie. but if i can make a day trip to NWS, well, thats all the more excuse to head to NWS :lol

Dr_Cogent said:
I feel as if Nintendo has completely turned their backs on the hardcore gamer.
How? You're still getting a cable, no? The only difference is that there is a wait of a few days for shipping.....

No, this isn't the best possible way to go about it, but, it's not that serious.

Mejilan

Slurpy said:

Nintendo doesn't care about component. HDMI1.3 confirmed.

Bonk

Unfortunatly we have been told that the component cable will only be available through Nintendo.com website and will not be going through regular distrubution.

Customer Service Representative
VIDEOGAMESPLUS.CA

****. Where will I get one from as a European? Play-Asia will be 2 weeks later.

sasimirobot

So I take it ebaying my Cube component cables ASAP is in order.

I cant believe the old cables dont work with Wii. Im very disapointed...

Top Bottom