• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo uploads ARMS stream (Japanese, nearly an hour)... Game looks fantastic!

Speely

Banned
After watching (and rewatching) BumbleBeeCody's vid and Nairo's w/ commentary from the rep dude, I am really optimistic about the depth the game will have if one digs in. There are enough variables in place that devoted players will absolutely be playing a different game than casuals (though it still seems like a game that will be fun for casuals.)

Ineedit.gif

Crayon

Lookin solid. Can't say I'll get it for sure, but that only depends on what else is out at he time. I'd get it for sure at launch but I don't have a good idea of what else is going to be on the shelf at the time. Guess I could pick it up later at worst. I'm VO+.

guek

Banned
man, I'm really starting to have faith in this game. I think it's gonna blow up big and Nintendo is pretty confident about it.

This game looks soo damn fun. I hope one day we see it expand to 2v2's as I'm more of a TEAMS player, like in Smash.

Looking forward to playing this :]

hatchx

Banned
I'm honestly amazed and baffled by the number of people who it seems like have never seen a demo before this before

I think the question of content comes up with every fighting game. Especially after a disaster like SFV. When I see any game where the core gameplay is 1V1 combat, I'd like to know there's some meat to the game for when I'm by myself.

Especially considering local multiplayer in ARMS is an expensive proposition with the extra controllers. I'll mostly be playing by myself and online, and I'd like to know there isn't just a simple training mode and short SP arcade mode. A Sakurai-level of modes and unlockables would send this into AAA must-have territory.

The game looks fantastic, and I have hope, but it's a fair thing to discuss.

//ARCANUM

Okay wow. I went from no interest in this game to can't wait for this game from this footage. It looks like a ton of fun. Wish this was a launch title!

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I'm honestly amazed and baffled by the number of people who it seems like have never seen a demo before this before

I can't believe how many people have forgotten what "still in development" and "demo version for press event" mean. And I'm not talking about neogaf only, I also talk about game media.

Neiteio

Here's our matches with pretty much everything put into play. We played it so much that by the end of the event, we played for 30 minutes nonstop as there weren't many people there or looking to play ARMs in the end.

Here's everything we picked up on(I've put timestamps in here for the video to refer back to).

Characters
Ninjara (my friends main) is top bloody tier -
Bloody hell this character has the best mobility within the game (see 1:48 and 4:04 for amazing speed and dodges). He is nimble, quick and his air dash is a mini teleport which results him him being invincible AND you can control which way you air dash.
****Prepare to get sick of seeing this character because he is exceptionally good.

The Mummy/Fat Kan-ra (my main) -
He has the worst mobility but has a nice double jump. If you block you also gain health back. It's this characters special block property. (See 5:50)

Mechanicca or which we called her, Tronne Bonne -
She basically is Tronne from Marvel. She has an air dash you can hold.

Ribbon girl -
Has a decedent throw which leaves the opponent still flying in the air. If you play on a stage with a bounce pad. She can get some nice combos from enemies that land on it from he grab. He grab is also nice in that it's a great keep away game. Her grab throws enemies nearly back to the full arena.

Stages:
-You can break the test tubes on the chemical plant stage can be broken (see second match)
-There is a grave yard stage to which the middle of the arena can be broken. This reveals a bounce pad for an dynamic stage change.
-The main stage (see Match One) that my friend and I referred to as "Final Destination of Arms" is an amazing stage. Mainly because of how absurd it can be for any rocking the Massive Purple ARMs I was using.

Now the good stuff (The tech we found):
There is a mechanic in the game where your Arms will power up with an attack with an elemental ability whereby you will gain, fire, electric and some other properties. In the case of fire, you take burn damage, but with electric powered up Arms, you gain stun. Stun is important because it means the opponent loses all control of their character AND their Arms.

The stun+grab combo:
*** The name of the ARM is called Sparky (see 0:07 for Ninjaras loadout. ARM slot 2 (the gloves) are called Sparky)).
(See 2:55)
At this point I get hit with an elemental Stun Punch which leaves me open. The stun time is around 1.5 seconds but you can easily follow up for a combo which means you can grab or even go into your Super Barrage. It really is the best and easiest combo set up we found.
In the video you can see I get hit by this twice in a row from that time stamp into the same stun grab combo (see again at 6:10). It's a nice bread and butter.

Why Sparky is a good ARM and how it works:
If you charge up your left and right ARMs (providing you have Sparky on both hands) you stun that side of the opponent. So if you get hit with a Right Sparky punch, you can move but lose the right side vice versa. However, if you get with BOTH Sparky Punches, you lose access to your whole body leaving you open for even more punishment.

So why Sparky?
With Sparky you only need to hit your opponent once which will stun that side/body them. However, any followup attacks which knock them out of stun.
Trident is the name of another Arm which has electrical properties. At 5:50 I hit my friend with a charged Trident. Since it's a triple hit unlike Sparky which is a single, the first hit of Trident causes the stun (what you want) but then the second and third hit cause a heavy knockdown which means you can't really get a follow up combo. Maybe some Oki but I prefer the grab.

The instant charge:
There is a mechanic in this game where you can gain elemental properties to your punches by holding in Dash or Jump or just not attacking for about 2 seconds. Doing this gives you the advantage of elemental damage if you the land a hit. However, we found that by jumping, air dashing and then holding air dash, upon landing you gain the elemental property immediately upon landing. Once we found this, we implemented this into our games on grab knock down.
Perfect examples here:
Mummy - 1:40 and 4:39
Ninjara - 4:03 and 5:17
You'll see that as soon as we land, we instantly have our elemental attacks again upon landing within the first few frames.

Stage combos
If you knock the opponent into a bounce pad, you can keep punch them for insane combo damage. I mean I almost managed to do do a 75% combo by activating Super then doing one punch into another punch while my friend was flailing on the bounce pads being knocked back into them. I think for characters like Tronne and Ribbon Girl, this can be pretty good due to their throws. It also give characters like the Mummy a bit more mobility. It's a good stage but can be stupid with Supers activated and when you chain your punches. (see first 40 seconds of the first match. My friend and I utilising the stage pads around us)

Super Cancels:
You can cancel into Super at any point from your punch arm. This means from startup, active, and recovery frame. You can cancel into Super on hit. You can also cancel into Super from Grab on hit and from when the animation shows you throwing the opponent.

Cancelling your opponents Super (MASSIVE SALT)!

We also found that by grabbing your opponent who is in Super mode will INSTANTLY lose their Super Mode. There were some matches were we would activate Super, nearly the next few frames get grabbed and then lose our powered up state. If you see your opponent go into Super Mode, GRAB THEM! This mechanic is a huge point to learn.
Oh and yes, you take chip damage from blocking.

There is still so much more and I'm sure I'm wrong on some stuff but you get the idea. Great game. If you're excited about ARMs, you should be. It's a game to look out

Edit: it's 3am so I might clean this post up of errors later on
Amazing writeup, dude! Learned a lot from you. :)

The fact that every character has three gloves that all do unique things(some seemingly exclusive to that character) is a very interesting mechanic. Combine that with active and passive traits that are different for every character, and that makes for a good fighting game.

I'll make sure to see if I can watch more gameplay of this, because I'm really liking what I'm seeing. All I need is at least a 10 character roster with additional modes, and this game might surpass Splatoon 2 for being my game of the Switch.

Malus

I think the question of content comes up with every fighting game. Especially after a disaster like SFV. When I see any game where the core gameplay is 1V1 combat, I'd like to know there's some meat to the game for when I'm by myself.

Especially considering local multiplayer in ARMS is an expensive proposition with the extra controllers. I'll mostly be playing by myself and online, and I'd like to know there isn't just a simple training mode and SP arcade mode.

The game looks fantastic, and I have hope, but it's a fair thing to discuss.

Nothing wrong with wanting to know more before purchasing. Assuming that what's in reveal trailer is all that the game has to offer is another thing, which is what a lot of people seem to be doing. Welp, nothing can be done but wait for Nintendo to pull back the curtain some more as we approach release.

Nonetheless I'm not expecting the amount of content at first to be huge, especially compared to sequels of established franchises.

For me the fact that it's a new IP with original gameplay should give the game enough legs for a while. With Splatoon it was so much fun figuring everything out for the first time and watching the game evolve. Now with Splatoon 2 it's time for content stuffing.

//ARCANUM

Has there been any info on how this game plays in a traditional controller setup? (I read that it works in that config, but curious what the controls are.)

Edit - also, I just went back and watched the reveal trailer and once again found that trailer lame. I think it's just a really bad trailer, because I'm sold on the game footage, but that trailer just seems lame. I think it's the constant punching and missing in the game footage that makes it seem boring.

correojon

Here's our matches with pretty much everything put into play. We played it so much that by the end of the event, we played for 30 minutes nonstop as there weren't many people there or looking to play ARMs in the end.

Here's everything we picked up on(I've put timestamps in here for the video to refer back to).

Characters
Ninjara (my friends main) is top bloody tier -
Bloody hell this character has the best mobility within the game (see 1:48 and 4:04 for amazing speed and dodges). He is nimble, quick and his air dash is a mini teleport which results him him being invincible AND you can control which way you air dash.
****Prepare to get sick of seeing this character because he is exceptionally good.

The Mummy/Fat Kan-ra (my main) -
He has the worst mobility but has a nice double jump. If you block you also gain health back. It's this characters special block property. (See 5:50)

Mechanicca or which we called her, Tronne Bonne -
She basically is Tronne from Marvel. She has an air dash you can hold.

Ribbon girl -
Has a decedent throw which leaves the opponent still flying in the air. If you play on a stage with a bounce pad. She can get some nice combos from enemies that land on it from he grab. He grab is also nice in that it's a great keep away game. Her grab throws enemies nearly back to the full arena.

Stages:
-You can break the test tubes on the chemical plant stage can be broken (see second match)
-There is a grave yard stage to which the middle of the arena can be broken. This reveals a bounce pad for an dynamic stage change.
-The main stage (see Match One) that my friend and I referred to as "Final Destination of Arms" is an amazing stage. Mainly because of how absurd it can be for any rocking the Massive Purple ARMs I was using.

Now the good stuff (The tech we found):
There is a mechanic in the game where your Arms will power up with an attack with an elemental ability whereby you will gain, fire, electric and some other properties. In the case of fire, you take burn damage, but with electric powered up Arms, you gain stun. Stun is important because it means the opponent loses all control of their character AND their Arms.

The stun+grab combo:
*** The name of the ARM is called Sparky (see 0:07 for Ninjaras loadout. ARM slot 2 (the gloves) are called Sparky)).
(See 2:55)
At this point I get hit with an elemental Stun Punch which leaves me open. The stun time is around 1.5 seconds but you can easily follow up for a combo which means you can grab or even go into your Super Barrage. It really is the best and easiest combo set up we found.
In the video you can see I get hit by this twice in a row from that time stamp into the same stun grab combo (see again at 6:10). It's a nice bread and butter.

Why Sparky is a good ARM and how it works:
If you charge up your left and right ARMs (providing you have Sparky on both hands) you stun that side of the opponent. So if you get hit with a Right Sparky punch, you can move but lose the right side vice versa. However, if you get with BOTH Sparky Punches, you lose access to your whole body leaving you open for even more punishment.

So why Sparky?
With Sparky you only need to hit your opponent once which will stun that side/body them. However, any followup attacks which knock them out of stun.
Trident is the name of another Arm which has electrical properties. At 5:50 I hit my friend with a charged Trident. Since it's a triple hit unlike Sparky which is a single, the first hit of Trident causes the stun (what you want) but then the second and third hit cause a heavy knockdown which means you can't really get a follow up combo. Maybe some Oki but I prefer the grab.

The instant charge:
There is a mechanic in this game where you can gain elemental properties to your punches by holding in Dash or Jump or just not attacking for about 2 seconds. Doing this gives you the advantage of elemental damage if you the land a hit. However, we found that by jumping, air dashing and then holding air dash, upon landing you gain the elemental property immediately upon landing. Once we found this, we implemented this into our games on grab knock down.
Perfect examples here:
Mummy - 1:40 and 4:39
Ninjara - 4:03 and 5:17
You'll see that as soon as we land, we instantly have our elemental attacks again upon landing within the first few frames.

Stage combos
If you knock the opponent into a bounce pad, you can keep punch them for insane combo damage. I mean I almost managed to do do a 75% combo by activating Super then doing one punch into another punch while my friend was flailing on the bounce pads being knocked back into them. I think for characters like Tronne and Ribbon Girl, this can be pretty good due to their throws. It also give characters like the Mummy a bit more mobility. It's a good stage but can be stupid with Supers activated and when you chain your punches. (see first 40 seconds of the first match. My friend and I utilising the stage pads around us)

Super Cancels:
You can cancel into Super at any point from your punch arm. This means from startup, active, and recovery frame. You can cancel into Super on hit. You can also cancel into Super from Grab on hit and from when the animation shows you throwing the opponent.

Cancelling your opponents Super (MASSIVE SALT)!

We also found that by grabbing your opponent who is in Super mode will INSTANTLY lose their Super Mode. There were some matches were we would activate Super, nearly the next few frames get grabbed and then lose our powered up state. If you see your opponent go into Super Mode, GRAB THEM! This mechanic is a huge point to learn.
Oh and yes, you take chip damage from blocking.

There is still so much more and I'm sure I'm wrong on some stuff but you get the idea. Great game. If you're excited about ARMs, you should be. It's a game to look out

Edit: it's 3am so I might clean this post up of errors later on
This has made me really interested in the game, there seems to be a lot of depth and options in this game. Thanks for sharing!

Varg

Banned
Game looks to be the next hit from Nintendo but they can't half ass it . Needs to be a nice story mode , and plenty more characters and locations . Online mode as well with a nice king of the hill mode/tournament mode .

Pila

After watching treehouse and this japanese thing (thanks for sharing OP) I feel kinda confident about this game. I don't think I'll be there dayone but I'll get it eventually.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Im finna die but youtube recognizes this as wild arms from 1996

My head would have literally exploded if this game was 1996 haha

Coreda

So does this require two joycons per player or was that just for the demo? I skipped parts and watched it on mute so I may have missed something explaining that.

Macka

From what I've seen you run around in small closed off areas for fights? I don't know, it just seems dull. I'm sure its fun, but there doesn't seem to be any variety to it, or much appeal to find in a hypothetical single player mode.

stoff

Good to hear that it is fun and has a decent amount of depth.

The reveal fight had the main problem for me, that is was split screen. I should've known better, but my eyes were always wandering from left to right, which meant I couldn't understand what was happening and everything came across as wild flailing similar to Wii Boxing.
The Treehouse demonstration was miles better.

Also, it's a minute detail, but I just would've wished that the characters had different names. "Spring Man" and "Ribbon Girl" come across like placeholder names used during development. I prefer a "Mario" over "Jumpman".

From what I've seen you run around in small closed off areas for fights? I don't know, it just seems dull. I'm sure its fun, but there doesn't seem to be any variety to it, or much appeal to find in a hypothetical single player mode.

Did you imagine this? We've seen absolutely nothing other than 1v1 multiplayer mode stages

So this is basically Dhalsim: The Game
sf2-dhalsim-poke.jpg

But really, when you take away the graphical treatment, this is basically a first-person view Street Fighter with no close combat -- just projectiles you can control, and supers. Actually on the test tube stage, the movement felt more like Quake Rocket Arena. I know I'm simplifying here, but I'm not seeing any kind of combo system. It seems like most of the strategy is around dodging and countering while trying to open up the opponent for supers. The basic mechanics seem interesting, and Nintendo should be commended for experimenting, but I'm not convinced I'd enjoy it. I know there's plenty of subtlety to the mechanics, but long-range combat and flashy super moves are not my thing in fighting games.

Regardless of all that, to not launch with this game is just...I don't know what Nintendo is doing. Everybody would be buying this game.

Also, it's a minute detail, but I just would've wished that the characters had different names. "Spring Man" and "Ribbon Girl" come across like placeholder names used during development. I prefer a "Mario" over "Jumpman".
That's why I call Spring Man "Colgate."

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Looks interesting and it's great to see Nintendo creating new ip. I'm not completely sold on it, but I'm not writing it off either.

Charging your gloves' special ability (i.e. electric) then stunning.
32213019182_6c31f2e4e2_o.gif

Nullifying a throw by punching it (68 sec mark on the counter).
31551855223_a74af624ec_o.gif

Ninjara dashing out of blocking a super but gets caught at the stage borders.
32213306642_4668c2c0fe_o.gif

Getting thrown out of a super. Interestingly, Ninjara's arm health indicator resets after the first hit of the throw.
32243188671_40a508c178_o.gif

Man, I was looking at thise gifs, and ARMS has the traditional rock paper scissors fighting game triangle: block beats attack, throw beats block, and attack beats throw. Compound that with additional mechanics like super armor and teleports, and this is a game that has more depth than it appears.

I'll be very excited to actually play this, as well as learning how the game plays on traditional controls.

Charging your gloves' special ability (i.e. electric) then stunning.
32213019182_6c31f2e4e2_o.gif

Nullifying a block by punching it (68 sec mark on the counter).
31551855223_a74af624ec_o.gif

Ninjara dashing out of blocking a super but gets caught at the stage borders.
32213306642_4668c2c0fe_o.gif

Getting thrown out of a super. Interestingly, Ninjara's arm health indicator resets after the first hit of the throw.
32243188671_40a508c178_o.gif

I love this.

Top Bottom