• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo World 2011 8-10 Jan [Update: neoGAF geekin' out to quality game music]

So the event is over and they still didn't discuss 3DS online? Is their online not ready yet or something? they only have 1 month left. I'm starting to think that if Nintendo didn't tell investors that the 3DS would be released by March that they would have delayed it at least until summer 2011. I hope I'm proven wrong and Nintendo has everything perfect and ready. ( except for the 3DS design of course, that will obviously get an overhaul on the revision ) Still day 1 for me though

Instro

perfectchaos007 said:
So the event is over and they still didn't discuss 3DS online? Is their online not ready yet or something? they only have 1 month left. I'm starting to think that if Nintendo didn't tell investors that the 3DS would be released by March that they would have delayed it at least until summer 2011. I hope I'm proven wrong and Nintendo has everything perfect and ready. ( except for the 3DS design of course, that will obviously get an overhaul on the revision ) Still day 1 for me though

Online must be ready since there are launch games using it. Im assuming they will talk about it at the event on the 19th.

perfectchaos007 said:

The Japan thing was just to get it in peoples hands. The real meat will become during the Amsterdam/NYC event, where there will be announcements and so on.

They've announced what is important to Japan: Games, Streetpass and games. Japan doesn't care about the online functionality of the device.

snesfreak

Banned
Day one for me too, even though I can't afford it. I couldn't afford the Wii either and I bought 2 of them (thanks asshole that stole the first one!)

antonz

Wasnt it being said Nintendo is having one of their buisness meetings on the 13th or 14th in Japan with the expectation of being 3DS related but on a more business side of things. Could see some details but nothing major

Vinterbird said:
The Japan thing was just to get it in peoples hands. The real meat will become during the Amsterdam/NYC event, where there will be announcements and so on.

They've announced what is important to Japan: Games, Streetpass and games. Japan doesn't care about the online functionality of the device.

Yeah, I suspect some here are underhyping the events on the 19th just a tad. Mind you, I'm not expecting any jaw-dropping megatons, but we know next to nothing about:

-how online play works
-how DSiware->3DS transfers will be pulled off
-3DSWare, 3DS VC, and 3D Classics
-any Western 3DS titles not published by Ubisoft or EA (and much of Ubi's lineup as well)
-plans for releasing 3D movies

We might not get answers to all of these questions, but we should get some for most of them.

Deku

Banned
Father_Brain said:
Yeah, I suspect some here are underhyping the events on the 19th just a tad. Mind you, I'm not expecting any jaw-dropping megatons, but we know next to nothing about:

-how online play works
-how DSiware->3DS transfers will be pulled off
-3DSWare, 3DS VC, and 3D Classics
-any Western 3DS titles not published by UbiSoft or EA (and much of Ubi's lineup as well)

We might not get answers to all of these questions, but we should get some for most of them.

I would just set your bar low and assume it works just like wi-fi connection with the module built into the console, rather than being a program loaded from the game.

I was revisiting WarioWare DIY the other day, and it's kind of infuriating how poorly they support the on-line sharing side of it.

Months later, trying to access the shared crates of my friends on my FL still give me timeout/error messages. It was the same problem that significantly slowed GAF sharing of our microgames at launch. But surely, their WarioWar DIY servers aren't being hit as hard now.

Deku said:
I would just set your bar low and assume it works just like wi-fi connection with the module built into the console, rather than being a program loaded from the game.

I was revisiting WarioWare DIY the other day, and it's kind of infuriating how poorly they support the on-line sharing side of it.

Months later, trying to access the shared crates of my friends on my FL still give me timeout/error messages. It was the same problem that significantly slowed GAF sharing of our microgames at launch. But surely, their WarioWar DIY servers aren't being hit as hard now.

Oh, my expectations are pretty damn low for 3DS' online play. I look forward to finding out just how much it sucks.

Basically, I'm saying that I expect a decent quantity of news, not that all of it will be good.

FoneBone said:
Are you high? :lol
People are saying images don't pop out much on 3DS and it's mostly about seeing depth. That is exactly what Lookslys Lineup showcases. I like the depth though, it's impressive. I just imagine the 3DS does a way better job at it plus with some added pop-outs

FoneBone

perfectchaos007 said:
People are saying images don't pop out much on 3DS and it's mostly about seeing depth. That is exactly what Lookslys Lineup showcases. I like the depth though, it's impressive. I just imagine the 3DS does a way better job at it plus with some added pop-outs
Facetracking like in Looksley doesn't show "depth" at all. It's just a novel means of camera control.

[Nintex]

Vinterbird said:

Yep the fact that the NY and Amsterdam events start at the same time indicate that something's up.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
antonz said:
Koji Motherfucking Kondo played Mario Music with the band and Solo

Yes, wanted, then. Although VBR MP3 > AAC... or just FLAC it up and let us choose our own formats. Where are these streams, anyway?

Someone put up Day 1 earlier in this thread... it would be nice if we could get Day 1, 2, and 3 available.

(I -think- I did a recording of the Day 2 #1 stream; not sure...)

Wizpig

Err, where were they doing these concerts? it's the first time i hear of 'em.
I'll gladly download anything Kondo related though.

antonz

Wizpig said:
Err, where were they doing these concerts? it's the first time i hear of 'em.
I'll gladly download anything Kondo related though.

They had them live at the Hands on event each day. Different Nintendo composer for each of the 3 days

DavidDayton said:
Yes, wanted, then. Although VBR MP3 > AAC... or just FLAC it up and let us choose our own formats. Where are these streams, anyway?

Someone put up Day 1 earlier in this thread... it would be nice if we could get Day 1, 2, and 3 available.

(I -think- I did a recording of the Day 2 #1 stream; not sure...)

I took it from the youtube stream, and then cut it

here are the files:

http://rapidshare.com/files/441892386/NGML.zip

Medalion

Banned

hatchx

Banned
Medalion said:
Thank you muchly! Star Fox looks fucking amazing

Really?

I'm kind of wishing they just didn't make Starfox 64 but made an entirely new Star Fox game based closely on the engine.

Then again, I'm also sick of playing OOT again and wish, at the very least, they chose to remake Majoras Mask instead.

Oli

hatchx said:
Really?

I'm kind of wishing they just didn't make Starfox 64 but made an entirely new Star Fox game based closely on the engine.

Then again, I'm also sick of playing OOT again and wish, at the very least, they chose to remake Majoras Mask instead.

Agreed on both matters.

Love Starfox 64 but I already own it. And OoT is great but I've played it more than Majora, which I like better. Strange I know.

hatchx said:
Really?

You see, this is exactly why i don't wish for remakes, i think alot of people have this stance on the matter too.

But i usually forget about it if it was a remake of a game i never played before, like Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon and Final Fantasy III.

I Never played Star Fox 64 so thats why i want it :d

DDayton

So...as far as the music goes...

Day one -- Mahito Yokota
Day 2 -- Kazumi Totaka
day 3 - Koji Kondo (with piano Mario medley)

Right?

Was there anything unique about the second performance on day 2?

antonz

DavidDayton said:
So...as far as the music goes...

Day one -- Mahito Yokota
Day 2 -- Kazumi Totaka
day 3 - Koji Kondo (with piano Mario medley)

Right?

Was there anything unique about the second performance on day 2?
Those are right. Totaka used a zylophone to play Animal Crossing stuff that was the uniqueness of that day.

Koji is the only one who actually had a solo etc

DDayton

antonz said:
Those are right. Totaka used a zylophone to play Animal Crossing stuff that was the uniqueness of that day.

Weren't there two different performances on day two, though?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Shikamaru Ninja said:
Last Call

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D YouTube Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhcTqKA1CIc

Star Fox 64 3D YouTube Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AW2DruO8nE

Mario Kart 3DS YouTube Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6KRkGoeClo

Paper Mario 3DS YouTube Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVMW3TlCPGw

Anyone find others? Steel Diver? Pilotwings Resort?
Starfox looks amazing. I have a feeling the reason Nintendo didn't demo it is because they haven't recorded the new voices...
:(

hatchx said:
Really?

A brand new "Starfox 128" in 3D with online dogfights would've been a perfect way to revive the series, especially as a launch title.

EatChildren said:
Mario Kart looks really good in my opinion. Very clean graphics and good use of bump mapping. Those volumetric clouds look nice too.

I'd like to see some sort of innovation or differentiation with other entries. Even though I didn't like the bikes, I really like how Double Dash and MK:Wii tried to do something more than just offer new tracks and a couple new weapons. Even Mario Kart 64 adding the drift spark mechanic was monumental in retrospect.

Ydahs

EatChildren said:
Mario Kart looks really good in my opinion. Very clean graphics and good use of bump mapping. Those volumetric clouds look nice too.
Still seems to be in an early stage of development, considering only Mario and Luigi were shown.

Nintendo should really release this around Christmas. Everyone will buy a 3DS and this will be a perfect game to pick up with it :D

How was the battle mode in the DS Mario Kart????

They seem to fuck it up in every version since the N64 one but I remember it possibly not the case with the DS one.

Or maybe the other portable one, not sure.

Neiteio

Fantastical said:
Starfox looks amazing. I have a feeling the reason Nintendo didn't demo it is because they haven't recorded the new voices...
:(
Star Fox was actually one of the only playable titles at E3 2010. And I believe it had voices fully intact.

sfried

Neiteio said:
Star Fox was actually one of the only playable titles at E3 2010. And I believe it had voices fully intact.
Whos voices? Hopefully still Charles Martinet as Fox and the original cast.

antonz said:

And Yokota played piano during the Zelda medley.

Yokota composing skyward sword confirmed.

Top Bottom