• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Xenoblade Chronicle 3 Direct Announced for June 22

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Just rewatching it now with pauses and that gunner hero dude, Gray, is listed as a "Full Metal Jaguar" which is Elma's class.

I thought that was the point, the joke is that he has that deep voice even though he's a little furball. So his voice isn't deep in Japanese wtf

I prefer the deep voice. Finally a "Chad" Nopon. He is different from the rest. Even Manana behaves like a typical Nopon.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I prefer the deep voice. Finally a "Chad" Nopon. He is different from the rest. Even Manana behaves like a typical Nopon.

My head canon is he wasn't raised with other Nopon sort of like when you see a dog raised around nothing but cats. Nopon typically have a childlike innocence/naivety to them even when they're committing evil like Banna. I like how 2 mentioned they play this up when dealing with other races so they can appear harmless or stupid when they're really scheming.

NanaMiku

I wonder who is the hero that got censored. People said the European stream spoils it?
d476dff14f.png

And man what an outstanding Direct that was. It went in a lot more detail than I thought it would, and without spoiling too much. I LOVE everything we have seen so far. Noah's Ouroboros surfin on its sword reminds of one attack of Virtual On in Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 where the mech does the same.
Yes, another excuse to post SRW video

It was great Direct, and surprisingly they didn’t spoil much of the story.
They always discuss the beginning of the game, like the first 10 hours. Xenoblade 2 Direct also the same.

Should I play Future Connected before 3? Because then I'll just play 3 later since I finished 2 early this year and don't want to get a burnout
Honestly......not really, Future Connected doesn't really add much and compare to Torna it much more inferior, mostly because it was nothing more than free extra.
It only focused on Xenoblade 1 epilogue, but the rift is still mystery, probably will link to Xenoblade 3?

I tried X and I absolutely hated it. One of the worst UI's and menus I have ever used.
Still the best game for me lol

I'm tired of Atlus Modern JRPG setting. It's overused at this point and boring. I have the same feeling towards SMTV. I want to explore a Fantasy or Science Fiction world. Not a modern setting
Isn't all SMT games (mainline) setting are destroyed Tokyo?

._. What are the chances of finding a cheap shulk amibo.
If you don't care about the figure, you can find NFC card that works as amiibo

Finally was able to watch the direct. Some thoughts:

+Battle system looks complex but fun.
+Characters are very expressive
+Heroes bring some much needed flexibility and options
+Classes system looks fun to mess around with
+Surprised at the depth of the mechas and the systems involved, and I love that they have different forms with different weapons.
+World looks good, enemy design is interesting
+Cutscenes look to be on point. I worry that they showed too much though.

-Holy shit the melodrama. I hope there are some upbeat parts of the story because I like anime and jrpg stories, but even so that was a bit much for me. "I want to hold on, for just another day! We will fight for a future!" BLECCHHH
-Still don't like most of the character designs. Some of the "heroes" were ok. Curious to see who that blurred out one is.
-Can only change 1 party memeber (hero) of the 7. I don't like at least 3 of the main cast, wish I could swap them out with more "heroes".
-Voiceover feels like a step down from 2 except for the catgirl.

Overall, I'm whelmed. Not under or over. I'm sure it'll be a nice 80 hour by the numbers Xenoblade game, but it really didn't grab me like 2 did from the trailers. This one has me feeling a lot of the way I felt about the first Xenoblade game, which was "looks cool, I'll play it when I have some time". I really hope they were just trying to show the stakes in this direct though, and that the story isn't like that the whole way through, it'd be damn near insufferable.
I think the melodrama is just so they don't clash with the direct overall theme. You can see some upbeat moment, like Noah and Mio playing flute together

Characters have grown on me. Over the course of these trailers it does feel like they've got to show a bit of personality, like how Mio's ears express her emotions. So I feel a bit better about them, as if they will be good xenoblade characters like usual. The less interesting costumes is a neccessity of the class system needing every character to be able to wear every costume, but if you look at the DLC, it actually says outfit color variants are available day one but totally new outfits are available with later installments so maybe there will be lots of cooler looking fashion in the future. Or maybe it will just be something like "Dress Noah like Shulk" or something like that.

As for the graphics, game is gorgeous, amazing world and environments and all that, but the dynamic resolution will make it turn into a blurry mess during battle. It's pretty obvious that Monoliftsoft want to put as much crazy epic shit on the screen as possible. You have 7 characters fighting at once and you can switch control between 6 of them, they do crazy anime transformations in the middle of battle...it's gonna be just like XC2.
The animation looks improve a lot. When the Ouroboros do the sword riding spin, you can see the "scarf" animated properly

Watching the Japanese trailer, I think this is few rare cases that I actually prefer the English voices.

The only english voice I'm not a fan is Riku, he voice is too deep and in Japanese his voice is pretty young.

Nopon voice always like that in Japanese

Isn't all SMT games (mainline) setting are destroyed Tokyo?

They are but my issue with JRPGs not made by Atlus is that lot of them are starting to use that time management thing like with the Persona Games.

Cold Steel series is one of the few ones I actually enjoyed that aspect. Also modern settings have been getting overused in JRPGs recently. Like Dusk Diver and Caligula Effect. I would rather explore a Fantasy or Science Fiction world to be honest.

As for Atlus and SMT, I'm also tired of that Battle system. I have no interest in Soul Hackers 2 due to it being set in a modern setting plus using that same battle system with a couple of differences

That kind of part Megami series DNA, same how Dragon Quest series always takes place in high fantasy setting.
I know that but I wish that other companies wouldn't copy so much from the Megami series. As for Dragon Quest, I always found the gameplay to be simple and boring. I enjoy those games but I feel like they are stuck too much into their old ways. I'm not sure about DQ12 since it seems like they are going a more western route which is turn off for me

NanaMiku

They are but my issue with JRPGs not made by Atlus is that lot of them are starting to use that time management thing like with the Persona Games.

Cold Steel series is one of the few ones I actually enjoyed that aspect. Also modern settings have been getting overused in JRPGs recently. Like Dusk Diver and Caligula Effect. I would rather explore a Fantasy or Science Fiction world to be honest.

As for Atlus and SMT, I'm also tired of that Battle system. I have no interest in Soul Hackers 2 due to it being set in a modern setting plus using that same battle system with a couple of differences
Press turn system is the bread and butter of SMT games, so it's hard to be changed. I also want another sci-fi JRPG. I think the last one that really feels like sci-fi is Xenosaga for me. Star Ocean doesn't really feel sci-fi for me.

I know that but I wish that other companies wouldn't copy so much from the Megami series. As for Dragon Quest, I always found the gameplay to be simple and boring. I enjoy those games but I feel like they are stuck too much into their old ways. I'm not sure about DQ12 since it seems like they are going a more western route which is turn off for me
But it's Dragon Quest all about, the classic JRPG experience lol

Press turn system is the bread and butter of SMT games, so it's hard to be changed. I also want another sci-fi JRPG. I think the last one that really feels like sci-fi is Xenosaga for me. Star Ocean doesn't really feel sci-fi for me.

But it's Dragon Quest all about, the classic JRPG experience lol
I'm really looking forward to Star Ocean 6

Yeah I know, but there's so many SMT games now that it's turning me off lol

As for Dragon Quest I played better JRPGs than any of the Dragon Quest games 😜

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
One thing Xenoblade 3 needs to nail down is the tutorial, XC3's combat looks more complex than XC1&2 combined, they can't do same thing as they did in XC2 when it comes to tutorials.

Thats my only worry, everything else looks.....
200.gif

Buggy Loop

Just finished the direct and then watched the standalone trailer which has much better image quality.

I love everything about it. Cast looks good. I’m super curious how they’ll develop. I got hooked on XC2 after a lot of playtime hours so a 20 minutes direct is like a drop of water in the ocean in these type of games. Chapter 3 and it’s ending in XC2 was mental. I was totally addicted to it after.

Graphics look insane for switch.

Last edited:

NanaMiku

One thing Xenoblade 3 needs to nail down is the tutorial, XC3's combat looks more complex than XC1&2 combined, they can't do same thing as they did in XC2 when it comes to tutorials.

Thats my only worry, everything else looks.....
200.gif
Hopefully much better. I think the battle system is more straight forward than Xenoblade 2.

Another theory of mine: the life force that are send to the sky are actually absorbed by the Conduit/Zohar to remake itself.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Hopefully much better. I think the battle system is more straight forward than Xenoblade 2.
To me it also feels much more straight forward but mostly because I currently understand XC2 combat, but to newcomer this must be super confusing.

Last edited:

Jsisto

Watching the Japanese trailer, I think this is few rare cases that I actually prefer the English voices.

The only english voice I'm not a fan is Riku, he voice is too deep and in Japanese his voice is pretty young.

The English cast has always been top notch for this series, not surprised.

NanaMiku

To me it also feels much more straight forward but mostly because I currently understand XC2 combat, but to newcomer this must be super confusing.
They didn't explain it a lot in Xenoblade 3 Direct, but if you compare it to Xenoblade 2 Direct, the explanation is more easier and didn't take long. Xenoblade 2 Direct spent a lot of time in the battle system explanation: Special, Elemental Orb, Blade/Driver/Fusion Combo, etc

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I hope that with so many characters that the class system is straight forward and not overly complicated. The party looks massive. It makes me wonder how fun launching and combo-ing enemies will be. It honestly looks good. Parts of it remind me of the Wii U game without all the emptiness and the HUB for your home base. I’ve got my copy pre-ordered.

Danjin44

They didn't explain it a lot in Xenoblade 3 Direct, but if you compare it to Xenoblade 2 Direct, the explanation is more easier and didn't take long. Xenoblade 2 Direct spent a lot of time in the battle system explanation: Special, Elemental Orb, Blade/Driver/Fusion Combo, etc
Riiiiiiight! Xenoblade 3 no longer has fusion combo and elements orb, yeah you are right, those systems that made 2nd games combat little more complicated.

Riiiiiiight! Xenoblade 3 no longer has fusion combo and elements orb, yeah you are right, those systems that made 2nd games combat little more complicated.
The last boss of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was TOUGH. Had to look up YouTube videos of how to learn the battle system. Once I figured that out the boss ended up being easier

Jeeves

Game looks completely stunning. Every moment of the Direct filled me with confidence in this game. It's hard for me to see an outcome where this isn't my goty.
And very British :p
I feel like the first XB not originally being planned for a NA release was a wonderful accident that gave us the great and unique voice acting of the English dub. The accents just work, in a way that American accents wouldn't have for these games. To me it's a big part of the series' identity. I enjoy JP voices for lots of things but with Xenoblade it just feels to me like I'd be missing out.

Game looks completely stunning. Every moment of the Direct filled me with confidence in this game. It's hard for me to see an outcome where this isn't my goty.

I feel like the first XB not originally being planned for a NA release was a wonderful accident that gave us the great and unique voice acting of the English dub. The accents just work, in a way that American accents wouldn't have for these games. To me it's a big part of the series' identity. I enjoy JP voices for lots of things but with Xenoblade it just feels to me like I'd be missing out.
I agree there. But the screams still sound fake 😜

YukiOnna

I'll never understand what people see in the dub, but to each their own lmao.

NanaMiku

IIRC, Xenoblade 1 released in Europe first, that's why the localization is British. Xenoblade X is localized by NoA, it's atrocious lol. Xenoblade 2 (and 3) are localized by NoE again.

Rykan

I'm very concerned how this will run in handheld mode though..Xenoblade Chronicles: DE and XBC 2 kinda lacked in those aspects..is there any footage of this available?

Danjin44

I'll never understand what people see in the dub, but to each their own lmao.
For me there are Japanese games I like the english dub like NieR and there are games I like Japanese voice more like in Persona.

In Xenoblade 3 I’m honestly liking the english voice more than Japanese.

YukiOnna

For me there are Japanese games I like the english dub like NieR and there are games I like Japanese voice more like in Persona.

In Xenoblade 3 I’m honestly liking the english voice more than Japanese.
Don't worry, I'm just that guy who fought for JP VO on the old Atlus forums for years and became an extremist.

NanaMiku

Don't worry, I'm just that guy who fought for JP VO on the old Atlus forums for years and became an extremist.

I bought Persona 5 Japanese version because I wanted JP VO and know Persona games didn't have dual dubs. Really surprised with Persona 5 English version having JP VO DLC.

The cat girl screams are 10 times better in Japanese than the English dub though.
Yup, Eunie also more interesting in Japanese because her language is more rough.

YukiOnna

I bought Persona 5 Japanese version because I wanted JP VO and know Persona games didn't have dual dubs. Really surprised with Persona 5 English version having JP VO DLC.
Major respect. I use to import for the same reason, lol. Thankfully, it's become an industry standard outside of a certain Disney+SE collaboration franchise. Plus, some of these games make my seiyuu otaku mode activate.

Exentryk

The direct was fantastic! They've really added some new features like classes and interlinking, and it should make the RPG side of things more interesting. The story and theme also seems very cool and unique.

I was already getting this Day 1, but the direct definitely got me excited and eagerly awaiting the release.

NanaMiku

Major respect. I use to import for the same reason, lol. Thankfully, it's become an industry standard outside of a certain Disney+SE collaboration franchise. Plus, some of these games make my seiyuu otaku mode activate.
Luckily, I was in Japan when Persona 5 released, also went to TGS to that year. But Persona is pretty expensive (most JRPG), it was 9.000 yen

The direct was fantastic! They've really added some new features like classes and interlinking, and it should make the RPG side of things more interesting. The story and theme also seems very cool and unique.

I was already getting this Day 1, but the direct definitely got me excited and eagerly awaiting the release.
Yeah, can't wait to play it! Too bad no info about pre-load

Danjin44

This direct really made the wait for July 29 very painful even tho they already move the date up.

I dont even want to think about if they kept its original September release.

NanaMiku

This direct really made the wait for July 29 very painful even tho they already move the date up.

Thank God they move it forward, really can't wait
Time for some copium post

I really like Eunie with greatsword

Danjin44

Thank God they move it forward, really can't wait
Time for some copium post

I really like Eunie with greatsword
Thankfully MHRise Sunbreak will keep me busy till Xenobalde 3 comes out.

ToadMan

As a “casual” XB fan (I tend to zone out during the talking bits of the story), I am happy this one looks more like a return to the tone and style of XB 1.

I found the XB2 characters just too anime meme style for my taste. I skipped so quickly through the talking I have barely any memory of the story.

This looks like a meaty evolution of the gameplay though - a lot of depth to explore.

What’s happened with the limited editions now? Are they still coming later in the year?

As a “casual” XB fan (I tend to zone out during the talking bits of the story), I am happy this one looks more like a return to the tone and style of XB 1.

I found the XB2 characters just too anime meme style for my taste. I skipped so quickly through the talking I have barely any memory of the story.

This looks like a meaty evolution of the gameplay though - a lot of depth to explore.

What’s happened with the limited editions now? Are they still coming later in the year?
u know this has cat ear wimmens and people transform by fusing together rite

u should be prepared that it might be more anime than u were thinking

I finished Torna in about a week and a half. It's gonna be a long, difficult month

I'm currently replaying Xenoblade 2 in new game plus lol
I uber maxed out every minute detail in XC2 last year. Completed every blade's affinity chart, pwned every boss and challenge mode many times. It was epic so I thought Torna might take me like a month but it was really quite short relatively speaking. I hope XC3 is even more of a behemoth, although I guess it isn't really the full game it's going to be until the final DLC is released by January 1 2024.

NanaMiku

I uber maxed out every minute detail in XC2 last year. Completed every blade's affinity chart, pwned every boss and challenge mode many times. It was epic so I thought Torna might take me like a month but it was really quite short relatively speaking. I hope XC3 is even more of a behemoth, although I guess it isn't really the full game it's going to be until the final DLC is released by January 1 2024.
I just the content is not too much. Xenoblade 1 have almost 500 side quest, it was a pain lol

btw, Collectopedia is back, you can see it at the bottom right. Oh no....

l656xbi7p6791.png

Top Bottom