• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

- Nintendont - | Yes, you CAN play GameCube games on your Wii U!

If you are using a usb drive for gamecube backups, you are extremely limited on what ports you can use for USB controllers and adapters. You won't be able to use the front sockets unless its SD.

Thats one of the many reasons, other than conflicts with the Wii U side, that you should use SD for Nintendont. Its a far superior option to USB storage in this case.

Didn't you see me spazz earlier? This new update lets me use the front ports even though my back ups are on a usb in the back one.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's pretty amazing that these old games can be forced to run in widescreen without looking stretched out. Been playing Mario Sunshine and surprised that it doesn't cause any slowdown or frame-rate drops.

Why would it? It's the exact same resolution it always was.. it just adjusts the perspective so that when it's stretched to 16:9 it looks correct.

Is there any chance we get the Gamepad controls working, or is that impossible for some technical reasons? We're this close to a portable Metroid Prime guys...

Edit: F-Zero plays great. No need to enable widescreen in the game if you force it through Nintendont options, although Nintendont won't scale UI correctly. TL;DR don't turn force widescreen on for this game and enable it in the games settings and you are good to go.

No discernible lag whatsoever.

PKrockin

I hope 16:9 on TTYD works one day...
I'm playing through it in 16:9 right now on whatever version of Nintendont was out a week ago. The black bars in cutscenes don't extend to the edges of the screen, pulling up the menu looks a little strange, and there's a few more very minor anomalies, but I prefer this to stretched 4:3.

Is there any chance we get the Gamepad controls working, or is that impossible for some technical reasons? We're this close to a portable Metroid Prime guys...
Knowing the gamepad's range I'd put the word portable in about a dozen quotation marks here.

TheContact

Is the only benefit of playing GC games via the Wii U to play from the gamepad? Aside from using a Wii or GC console?

Rich!

Is the only benefit of playing GC games via the Wii U to play from the gamepad? Aside from using a Wii or GC console?

No. As stated a million times before in this thread the gamepad only displays the image. You cannot control anything in Wii mode with it.

Anyway.

The Wii U offers by far the best video output for gamecube games. It offers a better image than the previous alternative (gamecube component cable) which costs over a hundred quid now to attain.

That's imo one of the main selling points. Also, native support for the Wii U Pro Controller and of course the benefit of having all your Nintendo titles on one console.

Memory card emulation is also a plus too. You don't need any Gamecube controllers or acessories at all.

Shun

Is anyone using a 128GB SD card? I'm currently looking at getting one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00720TE1M/

45MB/s speed. Any tips/advice would be appreciated.

Go for it, I'm on a 64GB one and I have a pretty big Wii and GC Library.

I was able to fit all 12 of my GC games, but even with WBFS, I could barely squeeze in another 15 Wii games.

I'm not too miffed since I can still play the rest of my Wii games off disc but I really should have gone with a 128 just for convenience sake.

If you need help getting WBFS to work and for installing WAD files and such, shoot away.

Just know that if you are going to load Wii WBFS games it has to be FAT32 and it when you install your cIOS, it HAS to be beta52-vWii.

Good choice, but I would personally say go for the Samsung Evo. Cheaper, same performance and reliable.

And 128gb is overkill, unless you are using it for Wii games too.

Go for it, I'm on a 64GB one and I have a pretty big Wii and GC Library.

I was able to fit all 12 of my GC games, but even with WBFS, I could barely squeeze in another 15 Wii games.

I'm not too miffed since I can still play the rest of my Wii games off disc but I really should have gone with a 128 just for convenience sake.

If you need help getting WBFS to work and for installing WAD files and such, shoot away.

Just know that if you are going to load Wii WBFS games it has to be FAT32 and it when you install your cIOS, it HAS to be beta52-vWii.
Thanks for the responses, guys. Shun - right now, none of that means anything to me, AND I have my Wii soft-modded by myself! I'll definitely be following up for some advice. Currently on my Wii, I use CFG Loader and Devolution set to on to rip my GC games. Could I just dump those from my HDD onto the SD card and run them on the Wii U when that's been soft-modded?

Doczu

I thought it would be a good idea to play the good old PoP trilogy now, but why does these games have to be glitxhy? I can withstand long saving times in sands of time but gbatemp says warrior within is broken. Damn :( gonna have to wait for a update...

Rich!

Good news, everyone! Looks like Mayflash are aware of Nintendont and the GameCube adapter situation.

From GBAtemp:

Hi LightyKD

Thanks for your kind message. We have been watchting at NINTENDONT recently. It is very amazing! And we will release new item which is compatible with HID standard.
Please wait in patience and keep attention to Mayflash website for updates.

Best regards,
Lemon
Mayflash Limited

Also, they've apparently got the smash adapter reverse engineered and running through a custom board. So yeah. For reference, their current USB adapter is this:

201206041210384409.jpg

It's an obvious business move to release a new one that works with Nintendont and Smash - and lets be honest, its gonna happen. And yes, the existing adapter supports rumble for both pads.

Tabris

Off topic as it has nothing to do with the Gamecube side of it - I may have this wrong so I want to confirm.

If I home-brew my Wii U for this custom Wii emulator / app - I can play Xenoblade Chronociles with a Wii U Pro Controller? Can I control the Wii screen with the Wii U Pro Controller? I don't need to have a controller hooked up to a stupid wiimote?

Rich!

Off topic as it has nothing to do with the Gamecube side of it - I may have this wrong so I want to confirm.

If I home-brew my Wii U for this custom Wii emulator / app - I can play Xenoblade Chronociles with a Wii U Pro Controller? Can I control the Wii screen with the Wii U Pro Controller? I don't need to have a controller hooked up to a stupid wiimote?

no.

Nah, as far as I know no one has gotten the Pro Controller compatible w/ any of the Wii software as of yet. Not sure if it's possible, but I know dick about the inner workings of homebrew.

Rich!

Nah, as far as I know no one has gotten the Pro Controller compatible w/ any of the Wii software as of yet. Not sure if it's possible, but I know dick about the inner workings of homebrew.

well

the wii does not have a proper OS. It has a clusterfuck of menus and html pages that act as the system menu, and once you boot up a game it flushes all of that out of memory - the game has its own entirely separate system menu on the disc that then runs. when you hit HOME in a wii game, the home menu that comes up is NOT on the wii - it's actually on the disc!!

adding wii u pro controller support would require taking a game (such as xenoblade) and heavily hacking the ISO to support it. Basically, it's never, ever going to happen - and if it did, it would be on a case by case basis, only on games that have been hacked to include it.

Good news, everyone! Looks like Mayflash are aware of Nintendont and the GameCube adapter situation.

From GBAtemp:

Also, they've apparently got the smash adapter reverse engineered and running through a custom board. So yeah. For reference, their current USB adapter is this:

It's an obvious business move to release a new one that works with Nintendont and Smash - and lets be honest, its gonna happen. And yes, the existing adapter supports rumble for both pads.

Will it recognize my DK Bongos as bongos and not a GC controller?

Shun

Thanks for the responses, guys. Shun - right now, none of that means anything to me, AND I have my Wii soft-modded by myself! I'll definitely be following up for some advice. Currently on my Wii, I use CFG Loader and Devolution set to on to rip my GC games. Could I just dump those from my HDD onto the SD card and run them on the Wii U when that's been soft-modded?

Well what format is your HDD? CFG Loader hasn't been updated in nearly 3 years so I think it's best to run a different one like Wiiflow.

You can probably dump the GC games if they're in iso format, but I'm not so sure with the Wii games. If possible, post a screen of what the root of your HDD looks like.

Slermy

the wii does not have a proper OS. It has a clusterfuck of menus and html pages that act as the system menu, and once you boot up a game it flushes all of that out of memory - the game has its own entirely separate system menu on the disc that then runs. when you hit HOME in a wii game, the home menu that comes up is NOT on the wii - it's actually on the disc!!

Wow, that's fascinating! I guess that's one way to keep overhead low.

NeOak

Got a site where can i read about that?

linkboy

Wife bought me one of these

Formatted it to FAT32 and it's working great. It's nice to have all my GC games on one card instead of split between two 32GBs and now I can use those in other things (my 3DS and my camera).

Well what format is your HDD? CFG Loader hasn't been updated in nearly 3 years so I think it's best to run a different one like Wiiflow.

You can probably dump the GC games if they're in iso format, but I'm not so sure with the Wii games. If possible, post a screen of what the root of your HDD looks like.
Thanks. I'm away from my Wii at the moment, will do this at the weekend.

So exFat doesn't work? Just got a 64GB SDXC put stuff on it and my files aren't recognized.

nope.

just format the card to FAT32 - it'll work then. None of the Gamecube games are above 1.4GB, so the 4GB per file limit of FAT32 doesn't matter in the slightest.

Ah damn, had to delete nearly 60 gigs worth of games.

Rich!

So exFat doesn't work? Just got a 64GB SDXC put stuff on it and my files aren't recognized.

nope.

just format the card to FAT32 - it'll work then. None of the Gamecube games are above 1.4GB, so the 4GB per file limit of FAT32 doesn't matter in the slightest.

foltzie1

FAT32 is a relatively open standard (all patents have expired), exFAT is Microsoft owned right now and licensing is somewhat sparse. The result is most systems support FAT32 only.

FAT32 is a relatively open standard (all patents have expired), exFAT is Microsoft owned right now and licensing is somewhat sparse. The result is most systems support FAT32 only.

Other way round my friend, fat32 is MS but open, exFAT is fat32 compatible on most systems and an alternative to NTFS/Journed/ETX3

rekameohs

Banned
The new version 2.230+ of Nintendont is awesome because it allows for using a Wii U hard drive and a vWii hard drive connected to the same console. Couple that with UStealth to keep the Wii U from prompting formatting, and USB Loader GX for loading Wii backups and you have the ultimate digital only console!

Rich!

heads up to anyone who missed out on the official gamecube adapter, and wants to use real GC pads on nintendont:

this mayflash adapter is supported by nintendont. It offers rumble, full analog trigger compatibility and up to three controllers at once for multiplayer (one PS1/PS2, one xbox and one GC). It's cheap ($10/£10 on amazon and ebay), and works well.

I was going to buy one, but I miraculously just managed to snag an official gamecube adapter for £15. I'm still in shock about that.

HUELEN10

I just thought of something...

How is Twilight Princess GCN in 16:9? Other methods in the past had horrible pop-up, but how does Nintendont handle it?

linkboy

I just thought of something...

How is Twilight Princess GCN in 16:9? Other methods in the past had horrible pop-up, but how does Nintendont handle it?

I've got a couple of issues.

When I'm in the overworld, the map isn't displayed properly (it's off centered to the right) and whenever I transisiton from one area to another, the screen compresses and then expands.

It also gets a little weird when Link is underwater (you can see where the screen is 4:3).

Nothing game breaking, but annoying none the less.

aechris

Obscure-ass question I don't expect an answer to (but would be crazy impressed if I got one) but...

I plugged in a pair of Donkey Konga bongos into the Gamecube adapter and it doesn't work the way it should. It looks like it sees it as a regular controller and just holds down left (the menu scrolls by without touching it). From a quick Google search it looks like it'd work on the Wii, but not on the Wii U. Any explanation for this? Potential for patching in the future or am I out of luck on this one?

Thanks a lot!

376481-donkeykonga.jpg

Obscure-ass question I don't expect an answer to (but would be crazy impressed if I got one) but...

I plugged in a pair of Donkey Konga bongos into the Gamecube adapter and it doesn't work the way it should. It looks like it sees it as a regular controller and just holds down left (the menu scrolls by without touching it). From a quick Google search it looks like it'd work on the Wii, but not on the Wii U. Any explanation for this? Potential for patching in the future or am I out of luck on this one?

Thanks a lot!

376481-donkeykonga.jpg

It won't work on Wii U because there are no native Gamecube ports. It doesn't work with the Gamecube Adapter on Nintendont at the moment because it's using the adapter as a USB device rather than recognizing it as an official Nintendo product.

A later update might fix it but I doubt it. While Nintendont was on Wii no one set up a method to use the bongos as far as I know outside of using Native controls which utilized the GC ports built into the system.

The Wii didn't have any standard game update mechanism. Therefore the IOS version had to be frozen. If you updated an IOS to fix a "bug" and then broke something else for another game using the same IOS you'd be up shit creek without a paddle.

That's probably why they don't fix Smash Stack despite it probably being trivial to fix at the IOS level.

Murray97

I really want to do this but I have to buy so many things to get it working... it could be worth it.

Does Super Mario Sunshine work?

Top Bottom