• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

- Nintendont - | Yes, you CAN play GameCube games on your Wii U!

Hi guys i havê a pal wiiu and smash bros brawl and I want to install the homebrew channel and nintendont but the guides I've seen assume I have already saved data for brawl. How do I install the homebrew channel with a clean SD card?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Hi guys i havê a pal wiiu and smash bros brawl and I want to install the homebrew channel and nintendont but the guides I've seen assume I have already saved data for brawl. How do I install the homebrew channel with a clean SD card?

Just start the game, play a match or create a profile to ensure that it creates a save. Then replace it with the Smash Stack save and you're good to go.

Alright, I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone can answer.

1)with the new update with the Wii U widescreen option, should I also have on the force widescreen option?

2)is there a way to control the nintendont menu with a GameCube controller? I have the controller working while I'm in game.

3)is there a way to exit a game while using a GameCube controller? I have enable hid devices on for it to work, so I can't just push the home button on my wiimote.

Rich!

Alright, I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone can answer.

1)with the new update with the Wii U widescreen option, should I also have on the force widescreen option?

depends on the game. some work well with it, some don't. have a go and see whats best - it's a case by case basis

2)is there a way to control the nintendont menu with a GameCube controller? I have the controller working while I'm in game.

not yet, no.

3)is there a way to exit a game while using a GameCube controller? I have enable hid devices on for it to work, so I can't just push the home button on my wiimote.

press L,R,Z and Start on the gamecube pad to exit to the wii menu.

cronos_qc

Neo Member
Nintendon't is incredible in regard of Gamecube games.

F-Zero GX looks really good with the Wii U upscaler.

I plugged my Gamecube alongside of my Wii-U in order to compare F-Zero, and it looks so much better on Wii U (with Nintendont).

I am not exaggerating.

Nintendon't is incredible in regard of Gamecube games.

F-Zero GX looks really good with the Wii U upscaler.

I plugged my Gamecube alongside of my Wii-U in order to compare F-Zero, and it looks so much better on Wii U (with Nintendont).

I am not exaggerating.

Anyway you could do a screenshot comparison? I don't have my cube anymore, but I would love to see how it compares. I played a little of Super Mario Sunshine and thought it looked surprisingly decent too

Audioboxer

Which version of Twilight Princess looks better? The Wii version is quite a blurry mess. Wondering if the gamecube version running through Nintendont might actually look better? Heard it's not widescreen though.

cronos_qc

Neo Member
Anyway you could do a screenshot comparison? I don't have my cube anymore, but I would love to see how it compares. I played a little of Super Mario Sunshine and thought it looked surprisingly decent too

I don't have any capture unit, but I took these pictures with my cellphone.

My TV is approx 40inch (LCD).

On Gamecube (widescreen with RCA cable)
AbCUulO.jpg

On Wii-U (Progressive Scan + Widescreen) (HDMI)
EgwILnU.jpg

Rich!

Which version of Twilight Princess looks better? The Wii version is quite a blurry mess. Wondering if the gamecube version running through Nintendont might actually look better? Heard it's not widescreen though.

Twilight Princess on the gamecube looks identical to the Wii one, and has flawless widescreen in nintendont. Its the superior version imo due to the controls.

cronos_qc

Neo Member

Graphically, Gamecube version = Wii (Edit: Look at the previous post: The lack of Widescreen can be forced in Nintendont. The difference is about the controller used.

The Wii version should be better. Running on Wii-U in WiiMode, usually the images should be clearer, but it can be more pixelated.

Rich!

Gamecube version = Wii
The Wii version should be better. Running on Wii-U in WiiMode, usually the images should be clearer, but it can be more pixelated.

Nah, not in this case. Gamecube with the widescreen hack is visually identical.

And then you have the superior controller support of the gamecube version too.

dock

On Gamecube (widescreen with RCA cable)
The fact that you have the worst possible video-cable in your gamecube is probably a bigger problem. :( I'm fortunate enough to have a Gamecube Component cable, so my video output is pretty solid. It would, however, be very nice to use the Pro Controller.

big_z

in terms of video output wiiU(HDMI)>GC(component)>>>>>Wii(component)

the wii's video output is really poor. Nintendo improved it a bit in later models(the ones without gamecube ports) but it still doesn't compare to the cube or wiiu.

GameCubePage02.jpg

Purdy

Should I be using 'force progressive' if the game is asking do I want to start it in progressive mode as soon as it boots?

Kouriozan

Finally trying it, oh boy, playing The Lost Kingdoms again after all that time feels so good, and I 100%ed it on GC.
I need to hunt for the sequel someday.

Lopson

Neo Member
Thanks to you guys, I've been enjoying some Animal Crossing GC through Nintendont! But the thing is, I don't know how to get the program to emulate a memory card on slot B. Does anyone know how to do it?

cronos_qc

Neo Member
Thanks to you guys, I've been enjoying some Animal Crossing GC through Nintendont! But the thing is, I don't know how to get the program to emulate a memory card on slot B. Does anyone know how to do it?

In Nintendont, after selecting SD (or USB), you'll see the list of your games. Press B with the WiiMote on the Animal Crossing entry, you'll see many option, one of them is to enable memory card emulation.

It's working with FZero! :)

in terms of video output wiiU(HDMI)>GC(component)>>>>>Wii(component)

the wii's video output is really poor. Nintendo improved it a bit in later models(the ones without gamecube ports) but it still doesn't compare to the cube or wiiu.

GameCubePage02.jpg

Honestly, the softer image looks better to me. Less noisy. Less aliased. I'd prefer the Wii version on my tack-sharp Pioneer Kuro plasma. Probably looks more like how the original GCN games looked on the displays the playtesters were playing the games on back in 2001 or so.

See also: http://bogost.com/games/a_television_simulator/

Coda

Kind of a bummer you need to have a copy of Smash Bros Brawl. I guess it's a small price to pay for a whole library of games but I wish you could do the exploit through other means.

Kind of a bummer you need to have a copy of Smash Bros Brawl. I guess it's a small price to pay for a whole library of games but I wish you could do the exploit through other means.

Huh? I hacked my vWii through BatHAXX (uses Lego Batman) and I've played Nintendon't. I don't even own Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

EDIT: The OP is confusing people into thinking they must use SSBB to hack the vWii on the Wii U. The following games can be used:

LEGO Batman
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
LEGO Indiana Jones
LEGO Star Wars
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's Wheelie Breakers

Source: http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/WiiMode

Coda

Huh? I hacked my vWii through BatHAXX (uses Lego Batman) and I've played Nintendon't. I don't even own Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

EDIT: The OP is confusing people into thinking they must use SSBB to hack the vWii on the Wii U. The following games can be used:

LEGO Batman
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
LEGO Indiana Jones
LEGO Star Wars
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's Wheelie Breakers

Source: http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/WiiMode

Ahh, well that's at least better because some of those games are super cheap. Nice I'll have to try it when I can get my hands on a copy of one of those games.

Lopson

Neo Member
In Nintendont, after selecting SD (or USB), you'll see the list of your games. Press B with the WiiMote on the Animal Crossing entry, you'll see many option, one of them is to enable memory card emulation.

It's working with FZero! :)

That creates a memory card on slot A, but does nothing with slot B unfortunately.

Grief.exe

This would be perfect if I could just throw my Gamecube discs into the console and play solely with the gamepad.

Right now, it requires too much legwork to the point I would much rather just play the games on Dolphin due to the added fidelity.

rekameohs

Banned
This would be perfect if I could just throw my Gamecube discs into the console and play solely with the gamepad.

Right now, it requires too much legwork to the point I would much rather just play the games on Dolphin due to the added fidelity.

You will never be able to do that. The Wii U disc drive cannot read GameCube discs. It has the hardware to run them, however. Hence, Nintendont.

Audioboxer

Got my £4 copy of Lego Batman today.

I take it a 4GB SDcard won't work? :(

"no code found to load"

The save copied over okay, but I guess the hack needs a <= 2GB card?

FSLink

Banned
Got my £4 copy of Lego Batman today.

I take it a 4GB SDcard won't work? :(

"no code found to load"

The save copied over okay, but I guess the hack needs a <= 2GB card?

Yeah, most 4GB SD cards are actually SDHC, and the Wii was only made to support those later in its lifespan so most games don't support it, hence why these exploits can't use them.

I'm using a 2TB HDD - i made a 32gb fat32 partition and put my games there, but nintendont doesn't list my games.
Is it supposed to work with partitions?

Audioboxer

Yeah, most 4GB SD cards are actually SDHC, and the Wii was only made to support those later in its lifespan so most games don't support it, hence why these exploits can't use them.

Would a microsd card in an adaptor work? Or would that be recognized as "SHDC" ?

Rich!

As much as I like Dolphin, that's not the point of Nintendont. The point is that it's native hardware.

Good luck playing through Rogue Leader on Dolphin, for example.

Audioboxer

Yay, found my 1GB sd card. Homebrew channel installed. Now to try dig through guides to get everything sorted.

Nintendont will have me covered for Gamecube games.

How do I rip Wii games and play them?

And lastly can I use a USB hard drive instead of SD now?

edit: GAF knows best, I'll just ask lol. Some guides are quite old.
edit2: What is a forwarder for Nintendont?

NeOak

post-25049-laughing-out-loud-lol-gif-Now-xlnU.gif

Shun

edit2: What is a forwarder for Nintendont?

A forwarder just means that you get a Wii Channel specifically for Nintendont. You no longer need to open Homebrew Channel to launch it, you can just launch it from the Wii Home Menu.

It's quite useful for convenience sake.

Eyothrie

So I've ripped all of my Gamecube and Wii games onto an external HDD. I'm nearing 300gb (70+ Wii games and 50+ GCN games). Can I use this external? Or will the Wii U try to format it when I plug it in and turn on the power?

Rich!

So Ive ripped all of my Gamecube and Wii games onto an external HDD. I'm nearing 300gb (70+ Wii games and 50 GCN games). Can I use this external? Or will the Wii U try to format it when I plug it in and turn on the power?

yes you can

and no, it wont try to format it - it will nag you to do so though. You can just select the option to ignore it and carry on, or just plug in the HDD once in Wii mode.

Also, if that is too annoying, you can use this: https://code.google.com/p/u-stealth/ which makes the hard drive undetectable by the Wii U unless its in Wii BC mode.

Eyothrie

yes you can

and no, it wont try to format it - it will nag you to do so though. You can just select the option to ignore it and carry on, or just plug in the HDD once in Wii mode.

Also, if that is too annoying, you can use this: https://code.google.com/p/u-stealth/ which makes the hard drive undetectable by the Wii U unless its in Wii BC mode.

Awesome. I also have a second external with my Wii U digital eShop purchases. Will the Wii U recognize the Wii U external at power on, and then the GCN/Wii drive *only* when I enter vWii? Is this how it works? If so, this is $$$$. I don't want to have to get up off the couch to switch out drives. If so, I'll just stick with my Wii

Rich!

Awesome. I also have a second external with my Wii U digital eShop purchases. Will the Wii U will recognize the Wii U external at power on, and then the GCN/Wii drive *only* when I enter vWii. Is this how it works? If so, this is $$$$. I don't want to have to get up off the couch to switch out drives. If so, I'll just stick with my Wii

I'm not sure.

The Wii homebrew drive must be plugged into the back ports. The Wii U one can be in either. I'm not sure it would work in Wii U mode with both plugged in, but should be fine in Wii mode as the front ports are not detected in Wii mode apart from in specific homebrew like Nintendont.

Eyothrie

I'm not sure.

The Wii homebrew drive must be plugged into the back ports. The Wii U one can be in either. I'm not sure it would work in Wii U mode with both plugged in, but should be fine in Wii mode as the front ports are not detected in Wii mode apart from in specific homebrew like Nintendont.

Hmmm.. I'll probably hold off then until I get a definitive answer. The Wii/Gamecube external will hold nothing but game ISOs. The Homebrew apps (Nintendont, etc etc) will be on the SD card. The Wii U external holds all of my eShop stuff.

I just want to be able to plug in the Wii U external (eShop stuff), Wii/GCN external (Wii and Gamecube games), and the SD card with all of the homebrew "system" stuff all at the same time and it all works- both modes. I'm close to pulling the trigger on this, but I don't want to have to unplug externals every time I want to switch between my Wii U games and, say, my Gamecube games. That's just too much of a hassle and a deal breaker.

As it is now with my setup, I can sit comfortably on my couch and power on my Wii for Wii/GCN backups, and then power on my Wii U for the Wii U games. But I'd like to retire my Wii if this can all be solved in vWii mode without switching usb drives. I have too many Wii and Gamecube games to put them all on an SD card (300+ gb)

CraigMcD

yes you can

Unless something has changed in a recent update, I'm pretty sure this is wrong. If you've got a non-UStealth'd HDD attached, the Wii U pops up a box giving you the option to go to Settings or reboot.

CraigMcD

Hmmm.. I'll probably hold off then until I get a definitive answer. The Wii/Gamecube external will hold nothing but game ISOs. The Homebrew apps (Nintendont, etc etc) will be on the SD card. The Wii U external holds all of my eShop stuff.

I just want to be able to plug in the Wii U external (eShop stuff), Wii/GCN external (Wii and Gamecube games), and the SD card with all of the homebrew "system" stuff all at the same time and it all works- both modes. I'm close to pulling the trigger on this, but I don't want to have to unplug externals every time I want to switch between my Wii U games and, say, my Gamecube games. That's just too much of a hassle and a deal breaker.

As it is now with my setup, I can sit comfortably on my couch and power on my Wii for Wii/GCN backups, and then power on my Wii U for the Wii U games. But I'd like to retire my Wii if this can all be solved in vWii mode without switching usb drives. I have too many Wii and Gamecube games to put them all on an SD card (300+ gb)

I've got my Wiiflow HDD at the back USB ports. I've used UStealth on it so that the Wii U doesn't nag me about it. My Wii U HDD is connected to the front USB ports.

Everything works fine. Nintendont needed a FAT32 formatted HDD when I tried it, so unless they've added NTFS support you should watch out for that. I haven't bothered going back to set it all up myself.

FSLink

Banned
Unless something has changed in a recent update, I'm pretty sure this is wrong. If you've got a non-UStealth'd HDD attached, the Wii U pops up a box giving you the option to go to Settings or reboot.

Nope. On my up-to-date Wii U my non-UStealth'd HDD just gives me the option to "Cancel" or "Format".

Top Bottom