• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

- Nintendont - | Yes, you CAN play GameCube games on your Wii U!

Rich!

Can you rip your wii games directly from the disc to external storage using nintendont?

No offence, but you should probably read up on what Nintendont is.

I'm not why so many people have the same misconception that you have. Its a homebrew application designed for loading and playing GameCube games. Nothing else, nothing to do with Wii games at all.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
But will Nintendont allow me to use Atari Jaguar controllers on Wii U? (sorry)

Rich!

But will Nintendont allow me to use Atari Jaguar controllers on Wii U? (sorry)

Well duh

You gotta plug them in whilst the console is submerged in water though. Even though there's no ports for them, the water helps conduct the electricity and Nintendont supports this for all controllers.

andshrew

I'm getting an Exception DSI error. I've tried a 32gb USB stick and a 2gb SD card and it occurs with both... not sure if I'm just being unlucky with device incompatibility or if I'm doing something wrong.

I have a Metal Gear Solid ISO ripped on a regular Wii using CleanRip. I've copied the unmodified image to games\mgs\mgs.iso. Nintendon't loads (on a Wii U) to the point that I can get to the settings screen (so it has updated to the latest version), but the games list is blank and the error happens when you press A on this screen. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, is Pro Controller support only available via USB or can it bluetooth?

Yasawas

The .iso MUST actually be named game.iso as far as I can remember, I set mine up a while ago.

My Pro Controller works fine over bluetooth with it too, didn't have to do anything fancy to have it recognised.

andshrew

The .iso MUST actually be named game.iso as far as I can remember, I set mine up a while ago.

My Pro Controller works fine over bluetooth with it too, didn't have to do anything fancy to have it recognised.

Thanks that was it, I apparently managed to skim over that as it's in the OP re-reading it. Controller working great too. :)

My copy of lego batman came in for my homebrew channeling... also so did my Wii U haha. Bought from Gamestop online and it said next tuesday delivery, showed up today. If only their in store service was this great.

But it does not matter because my wii remote/nunchuk don't come in til Wednesday haha. -fingerscrossed for super fast shipping from Nintendo-

I keep getting "Exception (DSI) occurred" when I try to load from SD.
I looked this up, but all I could find is that it's some kind of unstable error, even though I'm using the latest version. Anyone got a fix?

EDIT: my SD is FAT32 and my iso is "game.iso".

EDIT 2: Could it be caused by using SDHC instead of SD?

Robin64

I keep getting "Exception (DSI) occurred" when I try to load from SD.
I looked this up, but all I could find is that it's some kind of unstable error, even though I'm using the latest version. Anyone got a fix?

EDIT: my SD is FAT32 and my iso is "game.iso".

EDIT 2: Could it be caused by using SDHC instead of SD?

It's not because you're SDHC, I'm using a 64GB SD card.

Phoenixus

My gamecube's disc tray seems to have finally given up the ghost, so I'm looking into this method for a more convenient way to play GC games. Just need someone to ease my paranoia about it though; I've gone fully digital on Wii U and would hate to have the system lock up or format itself somehow.

- I've got a homebrewed Wii given by a friend ready and waiting to rip my GC games, but what's the biggest size SD Nintendont works with? Bigger than 2gb surely?

- Is there a means of deleting the entire thing off the system and leaving no trace should I ever need to send the unit to Nintendo? I've had a bit of bad luck with my past 3DSes and want to be prepared ahead of time.

- Is it wise for future WiiU firmware updates not to do so immediately? I know Nintendo haven't touched the Wii firmware in years but there's always a possibility.

shanafan

How does saving GameCube games work with Nintendont? I still have my old GameCube memory cards, but I am going to assume those won't work (for obvious reasons of no port for them on the Wii U), so does the game save directly to the SD card?

Also, how do multiple disc games work with this homebrew method?

finley83

Banned
- I've got a homebrewed Wii given by a friend ready and waiting to rip my GC games, but what's the biggest size SD Nintendont works with? Bigger than 2gb surely?

I use a 64gb USB drive with mine and it works flawlessly.

- Is there a means of deleting the entire thing off the system and leaving no trace should I ever need to send the unit to Nintendo? I've had a bit of bad luck with my past 3DSes and want to be prepared ahead of time.

Unfortunately not, I think there will always be a trace left behind regardless.

How does saving GameCube games work with Nintendont? I still have my old GameCube memory cards, but I am going to assume those won't work (for obvious reasons of no port for them on the Wii U), so does the game save directly to the SD card?

You can set it to use a virtual memory card in the options.

I think that is just for installing the homebrew channel application that is needed to then install nintendont. After that your games or w/e else can be on a larger card I assume.

sonto340

Also, how do multiple disc games work with this homebrew method?
If you have a Wii with GameCube memory card ports there's a home brew (the name escapes me just google GameCube memory card rip Wii) that lets you rip the memory card to a raw file. Set nintendonts settings to use multiple games on one memory card, Start any game you'd like and create a save file. copy both .raw files to your pc.
You can use Dolphins memory card manager to copy them.
It sounds kind of complicated but it's actually pretty easy.

As far as multidisc games, just name the second disc disc2.iso In the same directory as game.iso

Posted this in the homebrew thread but I figured it's kinda applicable here:
Quick (lazy) question.
Last week I ordered a Snes30 after seeing glowing reviews for it and it's now sitting on my desk at work.

I've seen that it has the ability to emulate a wii remote but I've also seen issues whereby it is limited by the amount of buttons on the remote.

So, is it possible to use this pad as a fully functioning pad on homebrew emulators (inc L & R) in wii mode?

Phoenixus

Ta guys, had a go at it last night and it worked almost flawlessly. Just ordered a GC wiiu adaptor and 32gb SD card (should be enough for my library). Might try some emulators in the Homebrew channel out as well, would love to get my Goldeneye and Rare N64 games on there too. :)

shanafan

If you have a Wii with GameCube memory card ports there's a home brew (the name escapes me just google GameCube memory card rip Wii) that lets you rip the memory card to a raw file. Set nintendonts settings to use multiple games on one memory card, Start any game you'd like and create a save file. copy both .raw files to your pc.
You can use Dolphins memory card manager to copy them.
It sounds kind of complicated but it's actually pretty easy.

As far as multidisc games, just name the second disc disc2.iso In the same directory as game.iso

Thanks!

I did the step-by-step last night and it went great. My only issue was with CleanRip. It worked flawlessly for Gamecube titles. I wanted to put a Wii game on the SD card so I can use the Wii U Pro controller with the game, but CleanRip created two ISOs for the Wii game, one ISO was 4 GBs and the other ISO was 400 MB. I renamed the 4 GB to game.iso and put it in its own folder (I didn't bother with the 400 MB..) so I could try to load it with Nintendont, but that didn't work. The game did not appear in the game list. Any other apps out there that can easily put a Wii game on a SD card? Or, can Nintendont load a Wii game from the actual disc?

Anyone with the latest version able to get cheats to work? Everywhere I look is giving me different guides and I really want to get all the Melee stages without doing those BS events again..

Robin64

Anyone with the latest version able to get cheats to work? Everywhere I look is giving me different guides and I really want to get all the Melee stages without doing those BS events again..

The cheats I tried never worked, but then I read that when running on Wii U, memory addresses are different and most cheats out there won't work anyway. Is that what you're running on, a Wii U?

Finally got mine all set up, thanks for the info and guides guys. Love that I can finally move off the gamecube and finish the backlog of games I bought when the system was dying -stares at skies of arcadia- No more crappy muddy display on my tv for me :)

Using a PS3 controller is kinda jarring though. Tempted to grab a mayflash adapter and use my gamecube controller just for sanity sake. Having to use square to confirm is blasphemy.

Phoenixus

Is there a reason the 'Use HID controllers' option won't show up in the configuration menu? Really want to use my GC Controller adaptor. :/

shanafan

Is there a reason the 'Use HID controllers' option won't show up in the configuration menu? Really want to use my GC Controller adaptor. :/

I grabbed the newest version of Nintendont in the OP, and my adapter worked automatically when I ran the app.

No loader, the guides I checked never mentioned one. Just creating .gct files and putting them where Nintendont would find them
I recommend using a loader like USB Loader GX to save yourself some headache. It has an easy to use interface for cheats, all done through your Wii/U. No PC needed.

dickroach

sorry if it's been asked/posted, but this is a big ol thread:

how do I re-map the buttons on the classic controller so I can make ZL act like I'm only pressing R down slightly. is that a thing? I wanna play Sunshine

Robin64

sorry if it's been asked/posted, but this is a big ol thread:

how do I re-map the buttons on the classic controller so I can make ZL act like I'm only pressing R down slightly. is that a thing? I wanna play Sunshine

Not sure you can. I saw people earlier in the thread giving a pointer on how to play F-Zero GX with digital shoulder buttons.

Honestly, though, do yourself a favor and pick up a Mayflash Gamecube adapter.

dickroach

that stinks.
I think I'll just plug back in my og Wii and use a gamecube controller with that.
I'm thinking about picking up an old CRT from the goodwill down the street and making that the ultimate-relive-my-gaming-past-machine.

Finally got around to installing this on my wii u since i have a gamecube adapter now which means i also finally un hooked my wii from my tv and packed it up back it its original box.

RIP Wii 2006-2015 :(

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Since this thread has been bumped, I might as well ask... Has there been any more improvement / new features in the last few months?

I guess Link Cable support on Wii U will never happen, right? :(

Platy

that stinks.
I think I'll just plug back in my og Wii and use a gamecube controller with that.
I'm thinking about picking up an old CRT from the goodwill down the street and making that the ultimate-relive-my-gaming-past-machine.

mayflash gamecube adapter too expensive ?

NeOak

Since this thread has been bumped, I might as well ask... Has there been any more improvement / new features in the last few months?

What NINTENDONT will never support:
Game Boy Player
GBA-Link cable

Nope.

I wanna play it tonight, damint! Amazon's quick but they aint that quick.

You live in the wrong city then :p

Platy

I remmeber it having a problem with gamecube adapters on the front ... don't have anymore

Carlisle

So I got a new external drive and did some reorganizing to have all my Wii and GC rips on the same FAT32, where before the GC games were being played off the SD. Using GX, the Wii games all worked fine but the GC games would crash and require pulling the power plug to reboot my Wii U.

Eventually I found that this was because Nintendont doesn't like any other drives plugged in when you're playing off a USB loader--not even the Wii U expansion drive (loader is plugged into the back, Wii U expansion in the front, btw). Is there a work around for this? I finally got Wii U mode to stop bugging me to reformat my loader drive with Ustealth only for Nintendont to not play nice with my Wii U expansion drive. So close to a seamless setup.

^ Curious to know if there is a solution to that as well, had this happening with X-Men Legends 1 and am holding out for some more details/updates.

MiTYH

Hey everyone -- very new to this scene, so forgive me if I ask an answered question, 31 pages is a lot to get through. I just would like this basic question answered before I move forward with my thinking.

If I have an up-to-date WiiU and only a USB, will I be able to play some GCN games that way? I do not own an SD card or SD card reader.

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Hey everyone -- very new to this scene, so forgive me if I ask an answered question, 31 pages is a lot to get through. I just would like this basic question answered before I move forward with my thinking.

If I have an up-to-date WiiU and only a USB, will I be able to play some GCN games that way? I do not own an SD card or SD card reader.

Thanks!

You'll need an SD card to install the homebrew channel unfortunately.

Top Bottom