• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

- Nintendont - | Yes, you CAN play GameCube games on your Wii U!

Peltz

The lag in the USB adapter is probably entirely dependent on the USB polling rate, and it probably even varies between Nintendont and other software. I remember reading tweets where, previously, Nintendont's polling rate on USB devices was 33ms (which means that the button press would lag anywhere between 0 to 33ms depending on which part of that interval you pressed the button, which would just be awful and feel incredibly inconsistent), but it was shortened to somewhere between 6ms to 10ms in a later update. My 4ms average reading for the adapter on Wii would peg the polling rate at about 8ms (4 is halfway between 0 and 8), so that checks out. Not perfect, but not something you'd notice, either.

(FYI: Dedicated controller ports, not USB, tend to have a sub-1ms polling rate.)

I'd like to check a regular Wii retail game on both Wii and Wii U (no homebrew) to see if there's an inherent difference in how the two consoles handle Wii games, but I'd have to hack up a classic controller to do it. Maybe later.
From what I can feel, and no this is not scientific... GCN controller adapter in Smash 4 is slower than Wii U Pro Controllers and the Wii U Gamepad.

Even though it's off topic, I'd love if you were able to compare the two to see if I'm correct. I think it would be thread-worthy for all of the Smash fanatics on this board.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
From what I can feel, and no this is not scientific... GCN controller adapter in Smash 4 is slower than Wii U Pro Controllers and the Wii U Gamepad.

Even though it's off topic, I'd love if you were able to compare the two to see if I'm correct. I think it would be thread-worthy for all of the Smash fanatics on this board.

Only if you're willing to donate controllers, considering that Smash 4 supports every type of them. :V

FyreWulff

The lag in the USB adapter is probably entirely dependent on the USB polling rate, and it probably even varies between Nintendont and other software. I remember reading tweets where, previously, Nintendont's polling rate on USB devices was 33ms (which means that the button press would lag anywhere between 0 to 33ms depending on which part of that interval you pressed the button, which would just be awful and feel incredibly inconsistent), but it was shortened to somewhere between 6ms to 10ms in a later update. My 4ms average reading for the adapter on Wii would peg the polling rate at about 8ms (4 is halfway between 0 and 8), so that checks out. Not perfect, but not something you'd notice, either.

(FYI: Dedicated controller ports, not USB, tend to have a sub-1ms polling rate.)

I'd like to check a regular Wii retail game on both Wii and Wii U (no homebrew) to see if there's an inherent difference in how the two consoles handle Wii games, but I'd have to hack up a classic controller to do it. Maybe later.

Yeah, a huge downside to USB is the fact that the host computer basically has to do the heavy lifting. Guaranteed extra ms lag when using USB-anything.

Practically guaranteed, the Wii/Wii U controllers have the advantage of being native to the system, whilst the GCN controllers have to be interpreted in-software by Smash itself.

Purdy

What do I need to edit the Power= bit to for it to be the combo of L+R+Z+DpadDown to power off nintendont? the reset combo works but it only resets the game and currently have to restart wiiu to get back to nintendont menu

Code:
Nintendo Wii U GameCube Controller Adapter]
VID=057E
PID=0337
Polltype=1
DPAD=1
MultiIn=3
MultiInValue=09
Power=
A=2,01
B=2,02
X=2,04
Y=2,08
Z=3,02
L=3,08
R=3,04
S=3,01
Left=2,10
Down=2,40
Right=2,20
Up=2,80
RightUp=2,A0
DownRight=2,60
DownLeft=2,50
UpLeft=2,90
StickX=4,0,100
StickY=5,0,100
CStickX=6,0,100
CStickY=7,0,100
LAnalog=8
RAnalog=9

Sora_N

Thinking of doing this so I can play my GC games without plugging in my GC now that my WiiU warranty is over.

Can the games be loaded onto the SD card, and will I need to have a separate SD card and swap when I want to use for my WiiU data? (I think I had some WiiU stuff).

televator

Thinking of doing this so I can play my GC games without plugging in my GC now that my WiiU warranty is over.

Can the games be loaded onto the SD card, and will I need to have a separate SD card and swap when I want to use for my WiiU data? (I think I had some WiiU stuff).

By necessity, the games have to be on a card on WiiU. It has no GC tray. I can't be any help as to cross use though as I don't use my mem card for any WiiU main system use.

With SD cards, you don't have to swap anything. Wii U data and Nintendont can be stored on the card at the same time.

dickroach

WiiU GC adapter has been my best gaming purchase of the last few years.

Wario World's a blast. never got a chance to play it when it came out, but I remember seeing it all over GamePro and Tips&Tricks and whatever. really fun game. collect-a-thon done right, a la Woolly World

shanafan

I plan to (someday) back up all my GameCube games using my Wii to a portable hard drive. Then, attach it to the Wii U and play them off of the hard drive.

I have tried this process using a SD card, and that worked. Can the same work for a portable hard drive?

I would think so. I have my GC games on a mini-thumb drive in the back port while all my Homebrew channel things are in the SD card.

shanafan

I plan to (someday) back up all my GameCube games using my Wii to a portable hard drive. Then, attach it to the Wii U and play them off of the hard drive.

I have tried this process using a SD card, and that worked. Can the same work for a portable hard drive?

Follow up with my plan..

I had the apps on my portable hard drive, like I would with my SD card. However, when I plugged in the hard drive when the Homebrew Channel, the hard drive would not power on. I tried the USB plugs in the front, and in the back.

Do I need to have the apps on a SD card only for the HBC to recognize them?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Consoles getting homebrew support is always cool, but I'm not sure what I'd use a hacked Wii U for considering the Wii mode hack can already do pretty much everything I'd hope for. Region-free is always great, but has there been a major unlocalized Wii U game? Nintendo has been very efficient with localization this generation (the small amount of Wii U releases helps too...).

TunaLover

Guys. Not Nintendont related, but this is massive.

Wii U 5.5.0 exploit incoming for Christmas.

From the mouth of the developer himself
Hykem said:
Time to clear the air again. :rolleyes:

The following statements are facts:
- I have successfully compromised the Wii U's IOSU;
- The exploit being used works from 2.0.0 up to 5.5.0, but it obviously needs to be ported for each firmware;
- The exploit doesn't need PPC kernel access, so the new kernel exploit won't have to be released.

I want to do some kind of Christmas surprise yes, but take that with a grain of salt. I can't promise I will have the time to get everything ready by then and I'm not disclosing what will be released.
Keep in mind that releasing the exploit "as-is" is pointless, so it will have to be ported first and most likely obfuscated so it will take a little longer to patch. It's also worth noting that I will have to develop an easy way to block updates so no one updates past 5.5.0 by accident.

If you don't believe in anything stated above, that's not my problem. The best (and easiest) thing to do is wait and see.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-hacking-homebrew-discussion.367489/page-672#post-5869658

Rich!

Consoles getting homebrew support is always cool, but I'm not sure what I'd use a hacked Wii U for considering the Wii mode hack can already do pretty much everything I'd hope for. Region-free is always great, but has there been a major unlocalized Wii U game? Nintendo has been very efficient with localization this generation (the small amount of Wii U releases helps too...).

Gamepad support for Nintendont.

TunaLover

I think it needs to be clarified that there IS already a working exploit up to 5.2 fw, BUT there's NO access to IOSU, it seems Hykem defeat the last security barrier to open the system, USB access, Wii U format decription, NAND writte/read (?).

televator

What EXACTLY does the Wii U Pro controller work with in terms of Nintendon't ?

What emulators, games, etc ?

Nintendont simply allows you to play GameCube games. Nothing more. It doesn't emulate anything else.

The pro controller is fully functional with Nintendont, and so you can play GC games with it.

I bought a WiiU specifically because of Nintendon't's contributions.

Gamecube, Wii, WiiU all under one console? Hells yes, best value in a system I have ever got especially since I never purchased a GC or Wii before this.

Even better is the fact it works with my DS4s, so good, they were extremely thoughtful into what kinds of WiiU owners would be interested in Nintendon't (probably people with plenty of other controllers lying around from other systems).

NewGame

Banned
Quick questions before I dive headlong into this:

1. Is the OPs method still current or should I follow something else?

2. GameCube games run from any USB memory? sticks, drives etc?

3. Any games lacking compatibility? Any region issues (I only have PAL images and would like to try some japan only stuff)

4. Can 4 WiiU pro controllers be used at once? What about eread/gba connection content aka: ffcc game?

1. Is the OPs method still current or should I follow something else?

2. GameCube games run from any USB memory? sticks, drives etc?

3. Any games lacking compatibility? Any region issues (I only have PAL images and would like to try some japan only stuff)

4. Can 4 WiiU pro controllers be used at once? What about eread/gba connection content aka: ffcc game?

1. More or less.
2. Yes, modulo some stuff randomly not working. However on Wii U there's some mess regarding any USB memory because Wii U wants it for itself. You can use SD cards or "hide" your drive with a weird PC program; the latter becomes messy again if you also want a separate USB for actual Wii U stuff, I'm not sure what happens next.
3. Google Nintendon't compatibility list. Most stuff works with latest version. Regions aren't a problem AFAIK, unless you try to run PAL stuff on non-PAL machine, then who knows what happens.
4. 4 Controllers, almost assuredly. GBA stuff interferes with controller patching. There's a mode for that but you basically need an original model Wii with everything set up like normally except the disc and regions.

Platy

The only big compatibility issues that I know are games with very specific controls like Hey You Pikachu, Odama, Wario Ware,Pacman Vs, Wind Waker and FFCC multiplayer like stated above

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Nintendont_Compatibility_List

Joey Ravn

Banned
Just for the record and to be clear:

There is no way to have all three things (Wii U games, backups for vWii and GameCube games) on the same HDD, right?

Right now I'm using an SD for GameCube games and a microSD with a USB adapter for Wii games, but I'm installing a HDD tomorrow and I would like to be able to move everything to the same place... but I wouldn't hold my breath.

EmiPrime

Just for the record and to be clear:

There is no way to have all three things (Wii U games, backups for vWii and GameCube games) on the same HDD, right?

Right now I'm using an SD for GameCube games and a microSD with a USB adapter for Wii games, but I'm installing a HDD tomorrow and I would like to be able to move everything to the same place... but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Yeah it's not possible. The Wii U will try to format the HDD for Wii U use only, the best you can do is hide it from the Wii U.

I don't know if it will even be possible to have one HDD to rule them all post-hack, at least not initially. I can foresee a USB loader using WBFS for Wii U but then maybe the console won't be able to use that HDD for system use (patches, saves, XBC data packs etc.). The Wii U's file system from what I remember writes from sector 0 so if you tried to partition it would completely corrupt itself.

All my own speculation, I stopped keeping up with this stuff after a few too many false hopes on the Wii U side.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Yeah it's not possible. The Wii U will try to format the HDD for Wii U use only, the best you can do is hide it from the Wii U.

I don't know if it will even be possible to have one HDD to rule them all post-hack, at least not initially. I can foresee a USB loader using WBFS for Wii U but then maybe the console won't be able to use that HDD for system use (patches, saves, XBC data packs etc.). The Wii U's file system from what I remember writes from sector 0 so if you tried to partition it would completely corrupt itself.

All my own speculation, I stopped keeping up with this stuff after a few too many false hopes on the Wii U side.

Crap, just as I feared. And partitioning seems to be out of the question too. I was hoping I could at least use UStealth to hide a small partition for a Wii WBFS folder and GameCube games and use the rest of the HDD on my Wii U.

Well, it seems I'll still have 3 things connected to my Wii U for the time being. Could be worse, I guess.

Edit: Woah, what a fucking mess. Now my USB Loader GX decided to randomly stop recognizing my USB stick because reasons. Cyan's outright refusal to implement SD card support for Wii games is the most boneheaded decisions ever.

shanafan

I want to load all of my GameCube backups to a USB flash drive. Are there any size limitations to what size I can use?

EDIT: Using a 128GB. I had to format it as FAT32 so it could be read. Wasn't reading as ExFAT

dmix90

Is DualShock 3 rumble/vibration supposed to work? If so can anyone provide correct profile or some kind of tweak for it? I tried without any profiles( built in support in loader ) and using external config file from github project page renamed(0268_054C.ini for DS3) and put it in :/controllers/ . Everything works great but rumble. Its safe to assume that loader can see external config fine since i was able to swap few buttons through it and it worked. Also tried DualShock 4 and there is no rumble either. Any help please!

Malcolm9

I'm going to try and add this to my Wii U to play back ups of my Gamecube games, do you still need particular titles to get the homebred channel up and running.

I'm new to all this so I want take sure I do it properly. PM me if it's easier.

I'm going to try and add this to my Wii U to play back ups of my Gamecube games, do you still need particular titles to get the homebred channel up and running.

I'm new to all this so I want take sure I do it properly. PM me if it's easier.

I'm not sure about alternatives, but using Super Smash Bros Brawl was very easy.

Madao

recently i've been using an adapter to play GC games on Wii U with just the GC controller and the Wii remote (having the SSB4 adapter out is bulky and i play SSB4 with pro controller 99% of the time)

my question is, is it possible to enable rumble on this setup? i've played almost all these old games using rumble and not having rumble throws me off a bit. it's also the only thing left to have this setup work exactly as my old Wii since everything else seems to work well and i'm looking into ways of retiring the Wii from my main setup and i want to cover everything the Wii does on other machines before i retire it (Wii U already handles Wii games on its own)

also, completely unrelated but is it possible to make Nintendon't display games in 1:1 pixel mapping rate or is that beyond the program's ability? i know the Wii U upscales whatever is displayed by Nintendon't but, seeing as there's widescreen hacks and there's another option that changes display area, i wondered if making it display games in a 1:1 ratio with added black bars was possible so that the Wii U upscales the result to an even number (more clarity overall)

recently i've been using an adapter to play GC games on Wii U with just the GC controller and the Wii remote (having the SSB4 adapter out is bulky and i play SSB4 with pro controller 99% of the time)

my question is, is it possible to enable rumble on this setup? i've played almost all these old games using rumble and not having rumble throws me off a bit. it's also the only thing left to have this setup work exactly as my old Wii since everything else seems to work well and i'm looking into ways of retiring the Wii from my main setup and i want to cover everything the Wii does on other machines before i retire it (Wii U already handles Wii games on its own)
Regardless of getting rid of a Wii being a good idea or not, Classic Controller protocol is "one-sided", so not with this adapter. If programmers wanted, they could probably make your remote rumble instead, but that's it.
also, completely unrelated but is it possible to make Nintendon't display games in 1:1 pixel mapping rate or is that beyond the program's ability? i know the Wii U upscales whatever is displayed by Nintendon't but, seeing as there's widescreen hacks and there's another option that changes display area, i wondered if making it display games in a 1:1 ratio with added black bars was possible so that the Wii U upscales the result to an even number (more clarity overall)
No idea, but I'm going to guess they can't really do that while some games change resolutions to something esoteric. Unlike the previous thing that's just a guess.

Wii Tank

Has anyone been able to get MGS Twin Snakes to switch disks properly using Nintendont? I've tried renaming the second disk disk2 and everything but it always stops me at the prompt to switch disks

Top Bottom