• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's 76th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders | June 29, 10 a.m. JST

Cuburt

I remember it. Using a third party device (especially like, an actual iPad) hardly counts as hardware theft.

The examples you gave solidify my point. Those innovations from Nintendo were good ideas that were only copied after it was clear they were.

Your point was that they only copy it if they already were a success.

Wii hadn't even launched then Sony decided to scrap their boomerang controller and shove some gyros in a Dualshock 3.

It was so transparent how much of a last minute reactionary move that was to the Wii's buzz, I'm surprised that someone would even try to deny it.

dd9RfY9.png

Real tempted to make this an avatar.

I remember it. Using a third party device (especially like, an actual iPad) hardly counts as hardware theft.

It doesn't have to be 1:1 hardware theft to be a problem. And I'm not sure what you mean by "after it was clear they were" given several/most of my examples had to have began development before they were released (but after they were shown) by Nintendo.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Because it would easily fix the software drought problem, and that would fix most of the other issues.

I don't get how you instantly jump from "shared library" to "console selling poorly." That is a massive leap in logic.

You don't need it to be 100% to fix that.

Just look at 3DS sales compared to Wii U. There's no reason to think that the console would sell any better than Wii U if it's basically equal to Wii U graphically anyway. I can't see the console selling enough in this scenario to make it worthwhile to make another one afterward. It's better to just go full hybrid and not waste money on R&D.

As long as people are invested in Nintendo's ecosystem, what does it matter which device they prefer? If someone only plays Nintendo games on the go, if someone prefers to play on a big screen TV, or if someone prefers a little bit of both, buy-once-play-anywhere services everyone. Nintendo only has to develop one library of software, and none of their customers are shortchanged. There are other ways to make owning multiple devices appealing, like picking up on one device where you left off on another.

I don't know about 100% shared, but exclusives for the sake of compelling people to buy another device isn't necessarily the way to go either.

It's not about caring, but about getting money back on investments. If nobody is buying the console, what was the point in doing this? It's clear that the overwhelming majority of Nintendo's fanbase prefers handhelds, so if there's only going to be one library there should only be one form factor. That said, I'm not talking about just tossing out exclusives for no reason; I'm basically talking about not forcing third-parties to support both and allowing developers to actually take advantage of the console's hardware instead of just upresing handheld games. 95% of the library should still be shared, but there shouldn't be any enforcement of a shared library.

DizzyCrow

But if they are a 100%

I think the argument is that most consumers would most likely just get the portable NX and ignore the console. Now, there would definitely be people who get the console or both, but would it be more than the current Wii U user base?

Honestly to me, a 100% shared library is almost equivalent to them dropping out of the console space. It's not like the portable would be a graphical beast, so the console would have to be gimped. A lot of people like to bring an iPhone/iPad comparison but this situation would be more like iPhone/iMac but the iMac could only run iPhone apps. Who would that really appeal to?
Most people already are getting just the portable and ignoring the console, the difference is that they would not have to build two sets of similar games (with the console version costing way more and selling way less), the same game would serve both audiences(one thing little mentioned is the boost in the multiplayer population for online games) and they could either make more dlc or new games with the resources so people would have more games to buy and they could have a greater variety of games (which they really need).

You could argue that the portable would hamstring the console, they could just make all portable games playable in the console and not the other way around.

Stopdoor

I think that's more down to development choice not it being rushed.

I'm literally counting numbers here, it'd be a dumb development choice to say "We need less of everything!"

It's not stretching to call it rushed, it's stretching to say it wasn't.

Is it? Was it in one of their reports I missed, or are you going off of its use in recent systems like the New 3DS and GamePad?

I very much doubt a camera gimmick is where Nintendo's going with the NX; that's essentially just a Kinect with faster response times. Plus the changing-perspective idea is the antithesis of their "play together" mentality when it comes to consoles.

It's based on the 3DS face tracking, the patent I was discussing, and several other patents, like the one about IR sensors on the sides of the controller that register gestures, or the weird "baseball" projecting one. It seems to be something they're clearly experimenting with.

I think the real differentiator between that and Kinect would be to actually place the camera on each controller, possibly multiple cameras or sensors and on different areas of the controller. It can give you a much better and more accurate picture of each player's face, eyes, and immediate surroundings.

I dunno, I could easily be wrong, but image sensors seem to be a common theme with their recent patents and technologies, and is something which hasn't really been integrated fully into gaming beyond Kinect's half assed attempts.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So assuming Nintendo wants it's own week for the NX reveal event to not compete press wise with everyone else and Nintendo wants people to not be busy we have realistically what 12 weeks left of the year for the NX reveal?

Management would be stupid to do a reveal event during the Holiday season.

I also doubt they'd schedule the reveal event the same week as something else. So it won't happen the week of TGS, Gamescom, PAX Prime, Paris, or the Fall Apple event.

If we go by Miyamoto's latest tid bit of needing a little more time I'd also say July is out.

So how many weeks does this really leave them?

TLZ

Banned
Rösti;208779660 said:

I think the most interesting part is this:

Takahashi:

I also thought the word sharp is that it is the keyword. Things can also not over and those that need to put a lot of time and people, also, and how to use the game engine, such as are used in the so-called general, a lot of people a game engine that is made in-house and a method that makes it easier to use, I think with a variety there. It is towards the NX, while based on the kind of thing, is a situation that is considered a variety of development techniques.

Google translate isn't the best but what I can somehow take from it is approving easier to use game engines for developers.

I think the most interesting part is this:

Google translate isn't the best but what I can somehow take from it is approving easier to use game engines for developers.

I've been sorta toying with the idea of one the NX features being a Nintendo game engine, which allows some level of game engine interaction and design for anyone who buys the console. If Nintendo can make a relatively feature rich game engine as fun to use as Mario Maker was then we could have something pretty special.

Sounds ridiculously hard to implement on a console though, unless the engine is very stripped down. I wouldn't put it past Nintendo though.

kunonabi

I've been sorta toying with the idea of one the NX features being a Nintendo game engine, which allows some level of game engine interaction and design for anyone who buys the console. If Nintendo can make a relatively feature rich game engine as fun to use as Mario Maker was then we could have something pretty special.

Sounds ridiculously hard to implement on a console though, unless the engine is very stripped down. I wouldn't put it past Nintendo though.

If it had amiibo support you could essentially have a built-in Disney Infinity with Nintendo properties. If they manage to Mario Maker's ease of use with more advanced functionality it could be pretty neat. You wouldn't have to keep doing disc releases to update it and Nintendo's been working with user created content for a while now anyway.

It would be neat if they could tie presets to the amiibos. Like a new Kirby game comes out, you use an amiibo and it gives you presets for the engine and some premade assets to make it play similarly to the new game so you could essentially design your own makeshift DLC levels.

If it had amiibo support you could essentially have a built-in Disney Infinity with Nintendo properties. If they manage to Mario Maker's ease of use with more advanced functionality it could be pretty neat. You wouldn't have to keep doing disc releases to update it and Nintendo's been working with user created content for a while now anyway.

It would be neat if they could tie presets to the amiibos. Like a new Kirby game comes out, you use an amiibo and it gives you presets for the engine and some premade assets to make it play similarly to the new game so you could essentially design your own makeshift DLC levels.

That is a pretty cool idea and it does sound very Nintendo, though I kinda wish it wouldn't be tied to amiibo... unless they start offering digital amiibos

Top Bottom