• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's new platform codename: "Project NX"

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyS

Ah fuck it. Nintendo & AMD, give me the Ultra Nintendo console with a semi-custom FuryX class GPU based on the upcoming Arctic Islands / Greenland architecture with HBM2. Zen based APU. Put a very well designed traditional controller and ramp up your online network to Live/PSN level. Call it a day.

Take our monies.

Lower the draw bridge for 3rd party developers. API based on Vulkan $399. Let it take a dump on XBone/PS4 and force Microsoft & Sony to introduce their next-gen systems in 2018. Take a fucking risk Nintendo or go the fuck home.

Ah fuck it. Nintendo & AMD, give me the Ultra Nintendo console with a semi-custom FuryX class GPU based on the upcoming Arctic Islands / Greenland architecture with HBM2. Zen based APU. Put a very well designed traditional controller and ramp up your online network to Live/PSN level. Call it a day.

Take our monies.

Lower the draw bridge for 3rd party developers. API based on Vulkan $399. Let it take a dump on XBone/PS4 and force Microsoft & Sony to introduce their next-gen systems in 2018. Take a fucking risk Nintendo or go the fuck home.

You're going to be disappointed but I expect you will take more enjoyment from that, anyway.

Take our monies.

This will surely happen even if Nintendo does not force because this time Sony & MS Chose PC architecture so its easy to update them and allow backwards compatibility just like regular PC. Also they need updated hardware by 2018 for VR and sony can only survive Project morpheus for 2 years (2016-18) with PS4 power.

AlStrong

I hope it is. I just want the console version to be way more powerful than the PS4 and Xbox One. As a matter of fact, they should have stuck it out with the Wii U and learn from their mistakes instead of rushing out the NX but whatever.

14/16nmFF+ is only going to go so far for cost/performance.

atbigelow

I know.

480 shaders right?

;/

I want Nintendo to do well. I'm just frustrated I guess. They have to strike the right balance.

You assume that just throwing money at hardware will make them automatically "do well". And "do well" can mean a lot of different things.

I like the idea of Nintendo trying to solve their issues with software. Particularly an OS. They've always seen their solutions as hardware-based. I am hoping they can realize something magical with software with NX.

AmyS

I'd honestly be happy if the GPU in the NX console was equivalent of Nvidia's GTX 680 from early 2012. That's 3 TFLOPs and 60% more powerful than PS4's GPU. More if you count better efficiency.

We can all say that specs don't matter. That might be true, but only to an extent. A good console usually starts with the base of good, fairly impressive hardware. I was joking about a FuryX class GPU. It would never happen. I just don't want NX to be weaker than PS4/XBone like WiiU was weaker than 360/PS3 (in terms of CPU and GPU horsepower, better efficiency and more RAM the WiiU had aside).

Proelite

I'd honestly be happy if the GPU in the NX console was equivalent of Nvidia's GTX 680 from early 2012. That's 3 TFLOPs and 60% more powerful than PS4's GPU. More if you count better efficiency.

680 level of power should be possible in 2016 under 100 watts.

Roo

At best, expect a slightly less powerful PS4
At worst, expect a slightly more powerful Wii U

As soon as people understand that, the disappointment will be less severe.

KingBroly

Banned
So...here's a question.

Does anyone think what I'm thinking about the next systems AFTER NX Console/Handheld 1?

Like 2-3 years down the line being a full-on upgrade for either or both that will still play all your old shit better while playing newer games, not requiring a re-learning of hardware since it's the same architecture? Kinda like a Console/PC hybrid but with no visuals tweaking.

What if it's weaker than the Wii U though

If it's a handheld, that's OK. Nobody expects a handheld to be more powerful than the current console.

If it's a console, it just won't be possible since you can't progress backwards. Even Wii was more powerful than the GameCube.

cireza

It does because the Wii U is an 8th gen console. You just want to justify your purchase of the NX. This is why whenever company does stupid shit we have people like you and the peanut gallery saying "I never cared such and such...." It's annoying and you're being dishonest but GAF THOUGH. If it was a handheld It would make sense but a console? UNACCEPTABLE.
WTF is this ? I don't have the right to think what I want ? How hard is it to accept that some poeple are convinced that the raw power of the console is not the solution ? I am being dishonest ? LOL.

Have you witnessed how Third Party games have sold like shit since the Gamecube days ? How can people say that those will be the solution ? Nobody wants to play those games on a Nintendo system, that's the problem. So of course they have to find the best way to sell their system and release games on it, taking into account this fact.

Hubble

Take our monies.

I am with Amy.

If Nintendo doesn't include contemporary hardware then it will fail. People have learned from the Wii.

antonz

Whatever silicon goes into the system people have to remember just because the system releases in 2016 does not mean 2016 standards of any potential die shrinks etc. The System will likely use 2012-2013 Era components and will it have more modern die shrinks etc. is anyone's guess.

atbigelow

So...here's a question.

Does anyone think what I'm thinking about the next systems AFTER NX Console/Handheld 1?

Like 2-3 years down the line being a full-on upgrade for either or both that will still play all your old shit better while playing newer games, not requiring a re-learning of hardware since it's the same architecture? Kinda like a Console/PC hybrid but with no visuals tweaking.

Nintendo has made it clear their envy of Apple/Google having a flexible OS where you don't lose your install base with more powerful hardware. That is what they want.

However, we don't yet know if Nintendo's plan includes shorter "generations" or not. I don't see them going for yearly hardware updates. But 2-3 might be much more inline with their ideals.

If it's a handheld, that's OK. Nobody expects a handheld to be more powerful than the current console.

If it's a console, it just won't be possible since you can't progress backwards. Even Wii was more powerful than the GameCube.

Wii wasnt more powerful than the gamecube it was basically 2 cubes ducttaped together...
kidding

I think the Home NX will be more powerful than then Wii U while the Handheld NX should be atleast above Wii Level I guess. Even the 3DS can play Wii Games (DKCR3D) so it shouldnt be that hard :)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Looked it up, It has a 3,000 mAh Battery and gets 3,5 hours when running a non-stop benchmark utility.

Is this test ok with you?

Notice how under the T-Rex test the machine throttles down (30fps- > 23fps) after the 10th minute, never to recover until the end of the test? And how GFXBench yields 3.22h (3h 13m) of battery time? On a hefty 3Ah battery, at that. In what console scenario is that throttling and battery life acceptable?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I still suspect a portable around wiiu level but a home with a very small leap over it as it happened with the wii over the gc

I think the Home NX will be more powerful than then Wii U while the Handheld NX should be atleast above Wii Level I guess. Even the 3DS can play Wii Games (DKCR3D) so it shouldnt be that hard :)

The thing is, we don't even know if NX will be a two-device set (NX Home and NX Console) or if it will be something entirely unimaginable. That's Nintendo for ya - they sure can surprise people, for better or for worse.

But in general, yeah, the portable will have the power similar to the power of console from last-generation home console. That's how it basically was since the Game Boy or Game Boy Color.

Okay, so these seem to be the sturdiest theories as far as I'm aware.

- The NX is a set of platforms (at least handheld + home console) with compatible software.
- The NX will use cards for physical game sales, and the cards will be compatible with all NX forms.
- The NX home console will use a touchscreen controller to match the NX handheld's touchscreen.
- The NX will have power greater than the Wii U but less than the PS4.

If we put all of these theories together, how plausible is it that we can get this, and how plausible is it that we can get it at a reasonable price?

This is actually pretty unlikely. Its a costly feature that has failed to move units.

Now having Wii U style functionality as an option when connecting the handheld to the console? That, I can see.

Gambit

I still suspect a portable around wiiu level but a home with a very small leap over it as it happened with the wii over the gc

that's my expectation as well. I am with El Capitan.

a portable strong enough to play Wii U games
in 540p

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I think the power argument isn't what most people are trying to argue. I think it is more a scalability thing.

The Wii U may be powerful enough to run some current gen games but it isn't easy because it lacks the scalability. For that same reason some last gen ports run subpar on it to some extent.

So I don't necessarily think the NX needs to be a PS4.5 but it needs to be able to run PS5 games when they come out without much work.

I think Nintendo sees this and that is why they are trying to creating a software ecosystem vs a hardware ecosystem.

Nintendo needs the support of all third party engines. A Nintendo NX that doesn't get supported by the new Unreal engine is dead at arrival. And that's not just a hardware question but if Nintendo can improve its relationship with the third parties.

Jackano

Nintendo needs the support of all third party engines. A Nintendo NX that doesn't get supported by the new Unreal engine is dead at arrival. And that's not just a hardware question but if Nintendo can improve its relationship with the third parties.

Agreed.
And I like how you word it simply.

I will have to disagree with you here Capitan, if the portable is around wii u level there is no point in making the console part only incrementally more powerful. There needs to be a much bigger gap in power for differentiation.

AmyS

ew9lYOE.jpg

Nintendo needs to go 'center of the home entertainment setup' route with NX....But do it much better than Wii U.

Play DVD and Blu-ray movies, media player, DLNA, etc. Nothing to do with specs. WiiU could've done these things but Nintendo didn't want to license DVD/BRD movie playback.

The web browser (which I understand was great from the start) and recently improved Netflix was a start. Miis & Miiverse have gotta go, and it will, given they're certain to drop the Wii-branding with NX.

A serious Nintendo Online network is key, though. But who would build it in the west? I don't know what DeNA could do outside of Japan. How might Nintendo find a way to raise the bar for themselves to rival Live and PSN ?

If Nintendo releases updated hardware more often, I agree every year would not work but maybe every 3-4 years. New games for 2020 hardware should work with the 2016 hardware. Software should always work with 1 generation back of previous hardware.

just some random thoughts.

Robin64

Miiverse won't go, it's one of the standout features of the Wii U that the other consoles don't match right now. If anything, it should be expanded on.

I will have to disagree with you here Capitan, if the portable is around wii u level there is no point in making the console part only incrementally more powerful. There needs to be a much bigger gap in power for differentiation.

Agreed. If their handheld system is WiiU levels of power yet their home hardware is only slightly above that, then that console would be DoA. It makes no sense for them to do this.

ew9lYOE.jpg

Nintendo needs to go 'center of the home entertainment setup' route with NX....But do it much better than Wii U.

Play DVD and Blu-ray movies, media player, DLNA, etc. Nothing to do with specs. WiiU could've done these things but Nintendo didn't want to license DVD/BRD movie playback.

The web browser (which I understand was great from the start) and recently improved Netflix was a start. Miis & Miiverse have gotta go, and it will, given they're certain to drop the Wii-branding with NX.

A serious Nintendo Online network is key, though. But who would build it in the west? I don't know what DeNA could do outside of Japan. How might Nintendo find a way to raise the bar for themselves to rival Live and PSN ?

If Nintendo releases updated hardware more often, I agree every year would not work but maybe every 3-4 years. New games for 2020 hardware should work with the 2016 hardware. Software should always work with 1 generation back of previous hardware.

just some random thoughts.
Some things I can agree with some things I read as low no, namely the removal of miis and Miiverse, BC I could care less about (but I do want to use my Wiimote for competitive FPS games) rivaling PSN or Live isn't really farfetched I believe they can do it with guidance from another company, DVD and BD playback isn't pivitol as it used to be, Web browser needs not be touched, the only thing that beats the Wii U browser is using my actual laptop.

No, if NX handheld is Wii U level doubtful since the battery would have to be huge, or lasts all of 20 minutes. The NX console should be PS4 level if not greater.

Peru

100% wrong in my opinion. Western third party AAA support will never come and is irrelevant to the success of the NX. Nintendo should not spend resources chasing it. They will not sell more consoles if they get Call of Dutys and Assasin's Creed. People will keep primarily buying it on PC and other consoles. Nintendo will however sell consoles on things only they can offer - such as Nintendo games and Japanese exclusive franchises - specifically console-only experiences. With a united software development between handheld and console divisions they'll be able to offer literally twice as many games for one platform and it will strengthen their sales - software and hardware. Focus on this, not on western third parties that won't come and wouldn't have helped their sales anyway.

I also don't think home entertainment will play any significant part.

100% wrong in my opinion. Western third party AAA support will never come and is irrelevant to the success of the NX. Nintendo should not spend resources chasing it. They will not sell more consoles if they get Call of Dutys and Assasin's Creed. People will keep primarily buying it on PC and other consoles. Nintendo will however sell consoles on things only they can offer - such as Nintendo games and Japanese exclusive franchises - specifically console-only experiences. With a united software development between handheld and console divisions they'll be able to offer literally twice as many games for one platform and it will strengthen their sales - software and hardware. Focus on this, not on western third parties that won't come and wouldn't have helped their sales anyway.

I agree with this, major AAA devs who can afford it will attempt to support the NX only if it sells well and they see at the very least investment returns (See Wii CoD games) and they will run for the hills if they see anything less (see lack of third party Wii U support)

KingBroly

Banned
If NX can run Unreal Engine 4, which it looks like it might with DQ11, it can most likely run any other engine out there, unless the Engine is complete shit. UE4 is big in Japan right now, so it'd be in Nintendo's best interest to get it running on NX.

The Unreal engine is basically on the way of becoming the new standard engine for Japanese developers. Not getting the full support by Epic will not just damage western support but also support by Japanese companies.

It's crazy that there are still people who think that Nintendo can or even should live within the bubble of the Nintendo core audience.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If the NX is a 2017 launch, that's four years after the PS4 and XBO, and those weren't exactly bleeding edge technology at launch, either. It shouldn't be too hard to outdo those systems, unless they're purposefully holding themselves back with crazy backwards compatability based bottlenecks.

Unless Nintendo push for a smaller process node, they'll be stuck with a similar size max die as PS4/Xbox one, and so won't be able to be more powerful unless they go for a discrete GPU which means two expensive chips. So it'd be more expensive to produce than PS4 if they wanted more power.

A 16nm process would give them the opportunity to go faster for the same cost, or cheaper for the same performance. And they would be most likely looking at smaller processes for the handheld at least for battery saving.

I just don't see it. They need something ready sooner than 2017, and that probably means initial home units shipping at 28nm with a quick shrink to 16nm after 12 months. But that initial size is what will hold them back (plus their natural technical conservatism)

The Unreal engine is basically on the way of becoming the new standard engine for Japanese developers. Not getting the full support by Epic will not just damage western support but also support by Japanese companies.

It's crazy that there are still people who think that Nintendo can or even should live within the bubble of the Nintendo core audience.

Agreed. At the very least, it needs to support Unreal 4. Which I think it will considering the DQXI "announcement".

KingBroly

Banned

I think Nintendo is starting to lean on developers a bit more, starting with the smaller ones and slowly moving themselves up. Minecraft the Story coming to Wii U is one of the last games I expected to come, but it is, and it's HOPEFULLY a sign of good things to come.

I think Nintendo is starting to lean on developers a bit more, starting with the smaller ones and slowly moving themselves up. Minecraft the Story coming to Wii U is one of the last games I expected to come, but it is, and it's HOPEFULLY a sign of good things to come.
I think it's mutually beneficial, third parties can't make the necessary money it cost to produce these games relying on just the Xbox and Sony crowd, and Nintendo can only survive so long trying to rely on only themselves to satisfy the diverse tastes in their audience. They both need each other, that's why you haven't seen the complete abandon of PS360 games because if the Xbone PS4 versions don't sell well they have that 150+ million install base to fall back on, which I'm wholeheartedly convinced was the case for MKX until the current gen versions showed results.

KingBroly

Banned
I think it's mutually beneficial, third parties can't make the necessary money it cost to produce these games relying on just the Xbox and Sony crowd, and Nintendo can only survive so long trying to rely on only themselves to satisfy the diverse tastes in their audience. They both need each other, that's why you haven't seen the complete abandon of PS360 games because if the Xbone PS4 versions don't sell well they have that 150+ million install base to fall back on, which I'm wholeheartedly convinced was the case for MKX until the current gen versions showed results.

I think Splatoon is REALLY going to help them out going forward because they can say 'we have a dedicated online shooter base franchise now' which surpassed expectations and keeps up a good userbase online.

I also think developing for NX basically allows devs to make 1 game for 2 systems with no real extra cost, which makes the risk a lot less. For Japanese devs, the benefit is obvious. It gets those big console games like a Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts into the hands of portable gamers in Japan.

I'm always baffled by the amount of people who basically suggest that Nintendo make a third platform that is just like the PS4/Xbone but maybe slightly less/more powerful. What would be the winning strategy here? What would be the USP? The Nintendo IPs?

A market like this could be seen during the GC/PS2/Xbox Generation and it didn't work out for Nintendo, despite the fact that the GC had great 1st party games and a very decent 3rd party support (for a Nintendo system) and it was cheap too.

We can currently see that even the Xbone is struggling greatly against the PS4, which is set to totally dominate this generation much like the PS2 back then. Releasing a system which has nothing that really sets it apart will lead to a colossal failure, especially since the new Nintendo system will then compete with much cheaper systems.

So yeah, people don't want to hear it, but you can bet that Nintendo is working on some unique feature (as in the DS dual scree, the 3DS' 3D, the Wiimote, the WiiU Gamepad) for the NX.

Releasing a "NX system family" including a home console and portable would be a great feature, but not really a selling point outside the Nintendo fanbase, unless it would really be a hybrid/allow for complete cross-playability but Nintendo has clearly stated more than once this isn't happening for the next systems.

ecosse_011172

I completely agree.
Pursuing Western 3rd Parties and Multimedia would be a futile exercise.

I'm always baffled by the amount of people who basically suggest that Nintendo make a third platform that is just like the PS4/Xbone but maybe slightly less/more powerful. What would be the winning strategy here? What would be the USP? The Nintendo IPs?

A market like this could be seen during the GC/PS2/Xbox Generation and it didn't work out for Nintendo, despite the fact that the GC had great 1st party games and a very decent 3rd party support (for a Nintendo system) and it was cheap too.

We can currently see that even the Xbone is struggling greatly against the PS4, which is set to totally dominate this generation much like the PS2 back then. Releasing a system which has nothing that really sets it apart will lead to a colossal failure, especially since the new Nintendo system will then compete with much cheaper systems.

So yeah, people don't want to hear it, but you can bet that Nintendo is working on some unique feature (as in the DS dual scree, the 3DS' 3D, the Wiimote, the WiiU Gamepad) for the NX.

Releasing a "NX system family" including a home console and portable would be a great feature, but not really a selling point outside the Nintendo fanbase, unless it would really be a hybrid/allow for complete cross-playability but Nintendo has clearly stated more than once this isn't happening for the next systems.

I'm not sure about your negative implication of a PS4/Xbox One like consöle. But releasing another console outside of the production flow of all kinds of third parties doesn't help Nintendo.

It's not about Nintendo losing its special snowflake image in the Nintendo core audience but providing the absolutely basics for a modern console.

Partition

Banned

Because the Gamepad totally made the Wii U a success! They got lucky with the Wii because they took a relatively simple concept (motion controlled games) and made them available for the mass market - something that appealed to everyone. Just because the Wiimote gimmick was a success doesn't mean future Nintendo gimmicks will strike the same gold (Gamepad that you mentioned proves this).

The Gamecube's problem was the birth of the biggest issue Nintendo faces today: lack of western AAA games and third party support. You had games like Halo which was a massive success for the Xbox and birthed the FPS genre, while Nintendo was pushing.... Wind Waker, for example. Nintendo giving no answers to the FPS trend back then began the start their "kiddie/casual" image that led more people to the PS2 and Xbox. You're trying to draw an analogy that their powerful consoles lead to less success, but it's not well founded. Their problem was and always will be going forward the games. They will not get the 3rd party support they need if they don't release a console as powerful as the current generation that's easy to port to (i.e. lack of complicated gimmicky features). Plain and simple. There is no recapturing the gimmick loving casual market they desire as mobile has them locked up.

I'm not sure about your negative implication of a PS4/Xbox One like consöle. But releasing another console outside of the production flow of all kinds of third parties doesn't help Nintendo.

It's not about Nintendo losing its special snowflake image in the Nintendo core audience but providing the absolutely basics for a modern console.

I agree that the next Nintendo system needs to have a more modern architecture, also because Nintendo themselves were not happy with the performance of the OS and I suspect that they are/were also facing problems regarding hardware limitations with games such as an open world Zelda.

But comments simply suggesting a more powerful, streamlined Nintendo system a la the PS4/Xbone will never work. It would come much too late and it would have only the Nintendo 1st party games as distinguishing features. But the die-hard Nintendo fans already owned the WiiU. People who want the best 3rd party support/certain kind of games will not find them on the next Nintendo system either, so the NX would also just stay a secondary option for them, if not the third option. The Gamecube was in this exact position and it can hardly be called a success from a financial and economic POV.

So yeah I am very sure that the next Nintendo system will not be about the most powerful, state-of-the-art hardware. But about some other core Nintendo-like new features. Let's just hope it's gonna be something meaningful and not a gimmick.

I would actually be very surprised if the next Nintendo system matched the PS4 power-wise. I'd go with people suggesting something below the Xbone, but able to support current-gen games without an unrealistic effort. Then add the "NX system family" cross-playability of some Indie/Download-Games, "co-developed" Nintendo games such as with Super Smash. Bros. 3DS/WiiU and then another Feature like the Wiimote/WiiU Gamepad. And I think that's what were gonna get.

Because the Gamepad totally made the Wii U a success! They got lucky with the Wii because they took a relatively simple concept (motion controlled games) and made them available for the mass market - something that appealed to everyone. Just because the Wiimote gimmick was a success doesn't mean future Nintendo gimmicks will strike the same gold (Gamepad that you mentioned proves this).

I never said this. But when you look at Nintendo's strategy and their remarks towards their next system you can see that they are constantly trying to recreate such a success. It didn't only happen with the Wii btw. but also with the DS. And I don't think this was purely luck, but surely also the result of some good R&D. The WiiU Gamepad convinced nobody from the very beginning. It was a poor attempt at recreating that success. But I also think Nintendo will need some kind of distinguishing, unique but also meaningful feature for their next system to set them apart from the competition which has advantages regarding technology and certain types of games as well as regarding the connections to 3rd parties that Nintendo is not able to compete with.

The Gamecube's problem was the birth of the biggest issue Nintendo faces today: lack of western AAA games and third party support. You had games like Halo which was a massive success for the Xbox and birthed the FPS genre, while Nintendo was pushing.... Wind Waker, for example. Nintendo giving no answers to the FPS trend back then began the start their "kiddie/casual" image that led more people to the PS2 and Xbox. You're trying to draw an analogy that their powerful consoles lead to less success, but it's not well founded. Their problem was and always will be going forward the games. They will not get the 3rd party support they need if they don't release a console as powerful as the current generation that's easy to port to (i.e. lack of complicated gimmicky features). Plain and simple. There is no recapturing the gimmick loving casual market they desire as mobile has them locked up.

This is where I completely disagree and this is exactly what I mean. There are already two capable platforms offering exactly those games and fighting for exactly this kind of 3rd party support. Nintendo will simply not be able to compete in this area. I am just not sure about peoples reasoning here.
And it's not about the "casual" market, but just about offering a viable alternative to Sony and Microsoft. Having three players doing exactly the same will not benefit anybody - including gamers.

Software-wise Splatoon is a great example of what Nintendo is all about: They look at the success of online shooters, and make their own version of it. This is what I want from Nintendo, not Nintendo creating clones of Halo, Gears of War or Call of Duty. You have tons of developers making those exact games, and they're probably better at it too.

Kaisos

Nintendo giving no answers to the FPS trend back then began the start their "kiddie/casual" image that led more people to the PS2 and Xbox.

This image has been around since at least the aggressive way the Genesis was marketed back in the early 90s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom