• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

TrutaS

Finished it yesterday! Towards the end the challenges got a bit crazier, with multiple past-boss encounters at the same time which is a bit much and created a bit of fatigue. That was mostly for the sidequests though, so I was happy to finish the main story with coop help and consider the experience amazing and one of my favourite games of this gen. Probably behind only Bloodborne. Looking forward to more from them!

Late Flag

Okay, I feel kind of silly now for complaining about the bosses being hard. I played through the game focusing on melee and ninjutsu, pretty much ignoring magic. For NG+, I decided to respec and try out omnyo, and I cannot get over how it just allows me to roflstomp all over everything. There's no need to even get cute or worry about getting my build just exactly right. Weakness + Carnage + Living Weapon = almost every boss dead in literally about 5 seconds of button mashing.

I know everybody else probably knows this already.

Okay, I feel kind of silly now for complaining about the bosses being hard. I played through the game focusing on melee and ninjutsu, pretty much ignoring magic. For NG+, I decided to respec and try out omnyo, and I cannot get over how it just allows me to roflstomp all over everything. There's no need to even get cute or worry about getting my build just exactly right. Weakness + Carnage + Living Weapon = almost every boss dead in literally about 5 seconds of button mashing.

I know everybody else probably knows this already.

You reminded me that even without Onmyo or Ninjutsu, you can cheese a lot of the (human) bosses by simply attacking non-stop. Many of them don't know what to do besides block until they run out of Ki. I found this out by accident and managed to get the "Crusher" titles on several of them this way.

You reminded me that even without Onmyo or Ninjutsu, you can cheese a lot of the (human) bosses by simply attacking non-stop. Many of them don't know what to do besides block until they run out of Ki. I found this out by accident and managed to get the "Crusher" titles on several of them this way.

That's not a good idea though as blocking consumes less Ki than attacking leaving you vulnerable to a hit. And some bosses have hyper armor on their moves.

You cant summon but you cna do them coop via the Yokai Realm option on the Tori Gate.

Oh I never thought of that.

Last time I fought S
hima
, he didn't even attack. I just rushed his front left, to prepare to circle him, and the AI didn't do a thing.

Does everyone else like to badass sheath their weapons after every encounter? I assume yes.

Trakan

Finally decided to go for the last two trophies I needed, the kodama and the spas. That wasn't fun at all, at least it's over.

IvorB

Credits rolled this evening:

86yMzsB.jpg

What a f**king amazing game. Seriously, this game is a masterpiece of action RPG gaming. It's not perfect and it's a bit rough around the edges but so was Demon's Souls. I really just can't say enough how much I enjoyed playing through this game. Following after Dragon's Dogma, Soulsborne and now this, is why Japanese have the action RPG genre on lock as far as I am concerned.

Some random pics I took:

Looking forward to checking out post-game stuff and multiplayer.

Beat this game last night. While not perfect, it's a very good game and for me, it's essentially an arcade version of Dark Souls, which is a good thing. Any reason to keep going after beating it? I'm not interested in trophies or platinuming the game.

A thought just occurred to me.

In the 2v1 sub mission where you fight youknowwho, if I kill him first then die to the other one, wouldn't this let me farm for his smithing texts faster??

Beat this game last night. While not perfect, it's a very good game and for me, it's essentially an arcade version of Dark Souls, which is a good thing. Any reason to keep going after beating it? I'm not interested in trophies or platinuming the game.

NG+ is all about the loot grind and harder levels. You can't even begin to make "perfect" gear until after you beat the final boss.

Does NG+ add any new maps/bosses? Is there any new content or it's mainly about loot?

Harder difficulty.

For new content there's a big patch at the end of march to include new missions, and next month we have the first DLC ad free PvP patch.

But yeah, end game Nioh is all about build optimization with loot

Does NG+ add any new missions/bosses? Is there any new content or it's mainly about loot?

No new levels.

You'll see more enemies that weren't there in NG, but the levels are all the same. NG+ Twilight missions take that to an even greater extreme, like peppering umbrella monsters all over the first main mission, for example. Not really "new" content, but yeah, it's mainly about the loot and challenge.

edukate

Started NG+ and re-forging weapons is not cheap..

Anyway I can guarantee rolling elemental damage? Is there a specific node I should roll?

Is Kodama power up bonus on Kodama Bowl of the procentage or is it added to it? Like, do I get 30% of 25% Amrita earned or do I get 25% Amrita earned +30% power up = 55%?

Mentok

Banned
I think I hyped myself up for Two Kings and A Meeting sub-missions. I got a great purple kusarigama late game, and destroyed those levels without any magic and only using quick change once. That's not a brag, but really showcasing just how OP blade spin is.

I thought I completed every single mission, but I guess I missed 1 twilight mission for the 100%. Question for my second build, have people found more enjoyment from katana or spear (if you used either)?

I think I hyped myself up for Two Kings and A Meeting sub-missions. I got a great purple kusarigama late game, and destroyed those levels without any magic and only using quick change once. That's not a brag, but really showcasing just how OP blade spin is.

I thought I completed every single mission, but I guess I missed 1 twilight mission for the 100%. Question for my second build, have people found more enjoyment from katana or spear (if you used either)?

Both are more 'methodical' than more spammy Kusarigama and Dual Katana. Both equally fun. Katana wins out sightly for me because it's more versitle for every environment, but Spears have the cooler movesets.

Swords - faster, versitle
Spears - longer range, more damage

RexNovis

Banned

Grinding out Kusarigama proficiency is the worst. I just cannot use this weapon.

Seeing these two posts so close to one another amuses me more than I can express.

I do not know if anyone has expressed their love for Niohs rainy locations. It is something I miss from games. Rain is usually a rare thing but to me it adds a lot to ambiance and is very soothing.

I think I will go with a Kusarigama as my third weapon as my other stats are not high enough to take the best advantage of Swords and Spears. I have over 30 in Dexterity. Currently trying to beat Orochi without getting hit which is damn hard even if you try to abuse sloth and guardian animals.

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
Finished last night. Great game overall and one of my favourites of this generation. Level design and enemy variation is the biggest flaws IMO, which made this game feel like a longer experience then necessary.

Number45

There's no way I can jump out of a mission and come back at the same point (shrine) later is there? Having to set aside a good chunk of time to play a mission on this limits the time I get to spend with it (not that I mind taking my time, plus it means I get to play Gungeon when I don't have enough time for Nioh).

RexNovis

Banned
There's no way I can jump out of a mission and come back at the same point (shrine) later is there? Having to set aside a good chunk of time to play a mission on this limits the time I get to spend with it (not that I mind taking my time, plus it means I get to play Gungeon when I don't have enough time for Nioh).

You can quit in mission and it spawns you at the last shrine you used.

Number45

Nice, thanks! For some reason I thought it would dump you back at the world map and then to the beginning of the mission. That should help me make some steady progress.

IvorB

Nice, thanks! For some reason I thought it would dump you back at the world map and then to the beginning of the mission. That should help me make some steady progress.

It’s weird how we can labour under these false constraints. For pretty much the whole game I thought I had to physically walk the kodama back to the shrine and pray, not just click on them. So I would think and plan carefully when I would pick the kodama up and take them back because I wanted to be sure it would be clear to the shrine and to avoid respawning all the enemies. Sometimes leaving them and coming back for them later. Only in the last region did the penny finally drop when all signs were pointing to me not having to do that. So much time wasted but oh well I guess.

If you heal while you've got shit status, William vomits and you only heal half what your elixir normally would, plus the vomit animation leaves you super vulnerable for a really long time so it makes it practically impossible to heal mid combat.

Yeah, I found that out actually shortly after asking when helping someone in Co-Op and getting fucking clipped hard while trying to heal.

Flipside

there's apparently a perfect rolled kurigasama that's up for grabs from a revenant

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nioh/comments/5z4vw5/perfect_roll_kusarigama_can_now_be_yours/

"The Dissapearing Rantajai" region 3 submission (NG+)

the revenant is AdiDice or something like that, go fetch

Thanks for the heads up! I have a few questions:

Probably a stupid question but what makes this a perfect roll?

In the reforged version I see three stats got rerolled, does that mean close combat life recovery, skill ki reduction and break aren't that great?

The change to attack dex is inherited. Does this mean that I can add it to the weapon infusing any weapon that has that stat on it?

Twookie

Thanks for the heads up! I have a few questions:

Probably a stupid question but what makes this a perfect roll?
OP on the reddit thread said it better than I would I think

"that it has a built in close cobat damage and final blow at their highest possible roll, and it has no inheritble stat, leaving you the option to inherit a seventh stat to that free slot making it a total beast. the rest of the stats are build dependend, but this roll makes sure the most important stats are locked in place, and with their max roll."

In the reforged version I see three stats got rerolled, does that mean close combat life recovery, skill ki reduction and break aren't that great?

Not necessarily. You would want to reforge stats so that those fit better to your build, and there's many different builds you can make.
Although, I probably would change those stats too myself.
The change to attack dex is inherited. Does this mean that I can add it to the weapon infusing any weapon that has that stat on it?
Yes! You have to find a piece of equipment that has an inheritable stat to attack that you can inherit over to this weapon.

i may have a question .

I have a forged green 150lv weapon. i wish to make a lv 150+1 or +2 weapon. ( same kind )

So , if i'm correct i need to forge another lv150 and soul match it , right ?
But i want to keep my bonuses on the weapon

What should i do ?

Soul match it anyway , then reroll the bonuses ?

Am i missing something obvious ?

Mentok

Banned
Both are more 'methodical' than more spammy Kusarigama and Dual Katana. Both equally fun. Katana wins out sightly for me because it's more versitle for every environment, but Spears have the cooler movesets.

Swords - faster, versitle
Spears - longer range, more damage
Thanks for the info!
I saw a revenant with blue glowing horns...what mask is that?!?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
i may have a question .

I have a forged green 150lv weapon. i wish to make a lv 150+1 or +2 weapon. ( same kind )

So , if i'm correct i need to forge another lv150 and soul match it , right ?
But i want to keep my bonuses on the weapon

What should i do ?

Soul match it anyway , then reroll the bonuses ?

Am i missing something obvious ?
Two 150 divine weapons with no (+) will not make a +1 weapon. You need at least a 150 divine plus a 150(+1) divine weapon to make that regular 150 into a +1 if you set it as base equipment in soul matching. To make a 150(+2) divine, you need at least two 150(+1) weapons. To make a +3 divine, you need at least two 150(+2) weapons and so forth. To keep bonuses, be max familiarity with the weapon you're trying to upgrade and set it as base material in soul matching. Sorry if my explanation is confusing, I'll try find video that explains better.

Edit: short random video explaining: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9fe2Vs3UyY

knitoe

OP on the reddit thread said it better than I would I think

"that it has a built in close cobat damage and final blow at their highest possible roll, and it has no inheritble stat, leaving you the option to inherit a seventh stat to that free slot making it a total beast. the rest of the stats are build dependend, but this roll makes sure the most important stats are locked in place, and with their max roll."
It's good, but not perfect. The no inheritable effect is great though. The only perfect roll is "close combat damage." The shiranui I am using has 19.8 vs 19.6 Final Blow.

Thanks for the info!
I saw a revenant with blue glowing horns...what mask is that?!?

That's more than likely the Visitor's Dragon Kabuto, a JP exclusive.

You CAN get them off revenants.

EDIT: Damn, everybody's trading that god-roll Shiranui at The Disappearing Ranjantai. Gonna give back to the community and drop a Kusanagi Tsurugi with inheritable CCD+15%.

Came to this thread purely because I just beat
Hino Enma
and I'm so, so happy. There is no margin for error in that fight given where I am at the game (very very early), so I didn't think there was any way I was going to beat her. Yay.

Hobobloke

I just finished the first mission and don't know what to do with all this excess stuff. Should I be selling it for levels, money, or disassembling it?

Top Bottom