• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

Mesharey

Sorry to ask again but I'm tempted by the season pass.

Is the dlc good? Should I play it after the main game or is it playable anytime? When is the next dlc out?
It's really good, after the main game, you have to finish the main game and no idea when the next DLC is.

Picked this up for $40 during the Best Buy sale. God damn this game is hard. Any general tips to consider along the journey for someone new? I consider myself somewhat of a Souls veteran.

Ludens

Banned
I just bought the game, I'm loving it and I saw there's the season pass discounted on PSN.
What do you suggest?
It's 30% off, does Koei discounts their stuff frequently on console? My problem is I'm plenty of games to play with low time due to work, so probably I'll take a while to complete base Ni-Oh, but if Koei doesn't like to discount their stuff deeply and frequently I'll take the season pass now, otherwise I have no problem on waiting for a better discount.

Baalzebup

Took me a long ass while to reach, but I'm now counted among the apparently 0.5% who have completed all missions on WotD. Some of those late game missions are pretty damn hard. Made some of those Tatenashi based super-tanky options look much more attractive, but I stuck out with my Yaguy & Warrior of the West combo.

The next project would be making the ultimate Luck armor with Swallowtail set, transferring +Luck to all pieces.

I also did some more googling on the historical personage portrayed in the game. Apparently Yagyu Sekishushai, AKA Yagyu Munetoshi died in the time between the base game and the Tohoku chapter.
That's a nice change! I should get back into the game and try the DLC. Is it any good? How does it rank compared to Souls DLC? Is it as ambitious?
I honestly wouldn't compare it to Souls DLC. It is more Nioh, with a new difficulty tier that brings some interesting changes with it, much like the changes between Way of the Samurai and Way of the Strong in the base game. There are a few new Yokai and one interesting reskin/variant and the new bosses are definitely on the better side of things. All in all, I found the package to be a very good offering for the asking price. Time will tell if the other pieces will follow suit.

OrochiJR

Gold Member
I just beat the final mission of the main game. What a ride. I played the game on and off since February, and did the second half of the whole game over the last two weeks. I am thinking about getting the season pass, but I probably should play other games I already have first.

How popular is the season pass among the Nioh community? I am afraid that if I buy it sometime in the future there will be no one around to summon should I need help with the bosses in the DLC.

I played that Last Chance Trial months ago, and for some reason, the game didn't click with me.

But I grabbed it in the current sale, and I'm currently loving it. Not very far in, but this feels like the kind of Soulslike evolution that The Surge tries to be but doesnt fully achieve. The combst feels faster and more character action while still retaining the intense challenge and precision that you'd expect from a Souls or Bloodborne. The Ki Pulse goes a long way to making combat faster and more aggresive, letting you string together style combos. Very satisfying combat.

It also feels way more RPG than any of the Souls game an its ilk, especially with the skill trees.

Izuna

Banned
I played that Last Chance Trial months ago, and for some reason, the game didn't click with me.

But I grabbed it in the current sale, and I'm currently loving it. Not very far in, but this feels like the kind of Soulslike evolution that The Surge tries to be but doesnt fully achieve. The combst feels faster and more character action while still retaining the intense challenge and precision that you'd expect from a Souls or Bloodborne. The Ki Pulse goes a long way to making combat faster and more aggresive, letting you string together style combos. Very satisfying combat.

It also feels way more RPG than any of the Souls game an its ilk, especially with the skill trees.

The Souls influences are the worst part and imo feel shoved into this game.

It's NG + Diablo more than anything else.

Since completing WotD I haven't been back on. I'm itching for more DLC or a big update.

danowat

Banned
Hi Nioh OT people!

Picked this up in the recent PSN sale, despite my love/hate relationship with the Soulsbourne series, I am terrible at them, and never make it passed the first stage normally, but love the premise.

Anyway, I am having a much better time with Nioh, not sure why, but I find it way, way more accessible, at least in terms of combat, than any of the souls series, I managed to beat the first boss (which I would imagine is quite easy in terms of this game), which surprised me considering the trouble I have with other games of a similar ilk, anyway, I digress.......

My main question is, is there a good guide for the multitude of systems and skills in the game?, there seems to be a ton of stuff the game doesn't explain, or explains very briefly, so would like to get a bit of a primer on these things before I go too far.

Does the difficulty stay consistent throughout or does it get easier as your skill improves? Up to the cave boss and feel like it's much harder than souls and many enemy combo strings just erase my life bar.

danowat

Banned
Does the difficulty stay consistent throughout or does it get easier as your skill improves? Up to the cave boss and feel like it's much harder than souls and many enemy combo strings just erase my life bar.

Huh, I am finding it much easier than souls!.

Enemies don't scale (as far as I can make out).

Ludens

Banned

Yeah, I'm finding it easier than Bloodborne too. The beta was insanely hard, but they nerfed the full game a lot, since I reached the second area and completed it with no problems.

I need to start the third one, but I did all sides for now too.

Some questions:
1. I have lots of useless armors and weapons. Can I sell all of them except ones I'm using, or I'll need some of them in future?
2. When you attack someone and push R1 after a moment, something happens. What's that exactly?! Should I use it a lot, or only in white demonic sections?
3. I updated the game, but still can't pause it! Where is the option? (I'm playing offline)

danowat

Banned
Some questions:
1. I have lots of useless armors and weapons. Can I sell all of them except ones I'm using, or I'll need some of them in future?
2. When you attack someone and push R1 after a moment, something happens. What's that exactly?! Should I use it a lot, or only in white demonic sections?
3. I updated the game, but still can't pause it! Where is the option? (I'm playing offline)

How far are you into the game?, the Ki pulse is something the game explains fairly early on, you should use it all the time, as it gives you a load of Ki back (aswell as clearing Yokai realms).

As for useless loot, sell, offer at a shrine for XP, or use with the blacksmith.

You can pause from the touchpad menu by pressing the options button on your pad.

How far are you into the game?, the Ki pulse is something the game explains fairly early on, you should use it all the time, as it gives you a load of Ki back (aswell as clearing Yokai realms).

As for useless loot, sell, offer at a shrine for XP, or use with the blacksmith.

You can pause from the touchpad menu by pressing the options button on your pad.
I'm after the first boss, but didn't pay attention to some information!
Thanks! :)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I finished
The Demon King Revealed
and wow a lot opened up! The
dragon boss
was the first time I had trouble since the early hours of the game.
Kelley
on the other hand was a joke. I tried the two kings fight but noped out of there for now... Yikes. I'm not resting til I beat every mission though.

lupinko

I just started playing a couple of days ago and am totally enjoying it so far.

I went with dual swords/kusarigama/isonade as my loadout.

But I read that I would be missing out on the Iga set? Given my current play I'm totally playing this like a ninja. Lol

It's still early right now because I'm enjoying grinding and just fighting revenants.

I bought the digital deluxe during this PSN sale.

I've only leveled up Dex (which is at 12) and Skill (just at 7) right now, so you can see how early I am in the game right now.

Sanctuary

Haven't played it since beating it twice at launch. There used to be the blackmith glitch where you could just mash talk to get patronage points randomly, and I'm assuming that was patched a while ago. However, I have no idea how you're supposed to actually get points now. I'm in the fourth region have have earned a whopping one so far.

lupinko

Did I do the order wrong by picking dual swords as primary and Kusarigama as secondary? And is Isonade good for a mobile finesse build? Which is basically a ninja build.

danowat

Banned
I spoke too soon, hit a bit of a difficulty spike with the damn ass wheelmonks, f those guys!

Managed to clear that mission after a few attempts!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Haven't played it since beating it twice at launch. There used to be the blackmith glitch where you could just mash talk to get patronage points randomly, and I'm assuming that was patched a while ago. However, I have no idea how you're supposed to actually get points now. I'm in the fourth region have have earned a whopping one so far.

Buying/forging stuff in the store gets you points. But iirc spamming the talk button can still get you random points, that worked a few times. Either way, I need a lot more before I have 60 required for the trophy.

I beat the last main mission yesterday and NG+/hard mode opened up. Took me 65 hours. That was with beating every side mission available at that point. Now to beat the leftover missions, some of these are going to be tough.

Only noticed now that spirit actually ups your defense, thought there wasn't a single stat doing that. I was only at 11, going to get that stat up now that I can carry two guardians at once.

Does someone have a build suggestion? I'm lvl 150 and I'm halfway trough Way of the strong, but I think I'm not doing a lot of damage...
Btw, do I ned to match the mission level? Because all mission are 260+ right now... Maybe I need to grind.

Deku Tree

Does someone have a build suggestion? I'm lvl 150 and I'm halfway trough Way of the strong, but I think I'm not doing a lot of damage...
Btw, do I ned to match the mission level? Because all mission are 260+ right now... Maybe I need to grind.

Basically all OP builds are of the form (1) figure out how you like to play and what tyoe of damage you like to output and then (2) stack damage buffs or defense buffs that emphasize your play style.

Here is a link to the reforge table: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet..._KLLihv1ucjmYXSSSEg_WqmnU/edit#gid=1631213731

This youtuber PWAR gaming makes a lot of OP build videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3pISmU5NW9wZliwNqBN1Q

Sanctuary

Only noticed now that spirit actually ups your defense, thought there wasn't a single stat doing that. I was only at 11, going to get that stat up now that I can carry two guardians at once.

I didn't realize that either, but I don't know if I'll be raising mine more than to meet Guardian requirements. The defense you get per point of spirit would have to be equal to, or higher than the defense you get on armor per point of strength/stamina required to keep your weight at B rank. That's also only after being at 200 Toughness, which is way more important than defense. At least until Way of the Demon, in which I have zero clue about right now.

Basically all OP builds are of the form (1) figure out how you like to play and what tyoe of damage you like to output and then (2) stack damage buffs or defense buffs that emphasize your play style.

Here is a link to the reforge table: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet..._KLLihv1ucjmYXSSSEg_WqmnU/edit#gid=1631213731

This youtuber PWAR gaming makes a lot of OP build videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3pISmU5NW9wZliwNqBN1Q

Thanks for the advices!
I have one question though, what do you mean by stacking buff? Are you refering to equipment?

Just bought the game.

What is the purpose of Gold ?
How to do ninjustsu or Magic ?
The boss batwoman is making me go crazy. She stunlocks at every move, she do not get interrupted even by heavy attacks in high stance, you has crazy speed and range, wtf am I supposed to do against a boss that stunlocks me at every move and do not get interrupted ?

Deku Tree

Equip anti paralysis gear. Use and paralysis items when you get hit. And also learn how to not get hit. Learn when she has openings when you can do damage and only do damage during those openings.

Izuna

Banned
Just bought the game.

The boss batwoman is making me go crazy. She stunlocks at every move, she do not get interrupted even by heavy attacks in high stance, you has crazy speed and range, wtf am I supposed to do against a boss that stunlocks me at every move and do not get interrupted ?

Gold is super important for Soul Matching and Reforging later on in the game.

Go to the skills panel, then equip your magic at a Shrine.

Batgirl, stay at mid-range (out of her attack range), dodge her telegraphed Paralysis attack. Use Shurikens or another ranged attack when she flies. If she is out of Ki, move back when she gets up because she will grab you. No need to use anti-paralysis (never done so myself).

Nah, you will never catch up to the mission level.

IvorB

I loaded this up the other day and cleared a few more missions on Way of the Strong. Was really ready to fully dive back into it but Stormblood is out on Friday so will have to wait. This is still game of the gen for me so far.

Baalzebup

Bolded is true for the vast majority of non-human enemies. Yokai are only interrupted out of their attacks when they are in zero Ki state. In exchange, they do not regenerate Ki the same way humans do.

As for the boss itself, check out this video. The best breakdown of how she works that I've seen.

danowat

Banned
Just bought the game.

I got a little frustrated and just summoned another player to lend a hand, she didn't last very long.

Man alive, the battle at the end of one of the side missions was pretty epic, the 'boss' kept spawning enemies, at one point I was fighting a revenent, a giant axe skeleton and a big yokai, all the guides and tips say 'kite enemies and take them on one by one' yeah, right oh, that doesn't help for a fight like this!

I got a little frustrated and just summoned another player to lend a hand, she didn't last very long.

Man alive, the battle at the end of one of the side missions was pretty epic, the 'boss' kept spawning enemies, at one point I was fighting a revenent, a giant axe skeleton and a big yokai, all the guides and tips say 'kite enemies and take them on one by one' yeah, right oh, that doesn't help for a fight like this!

I personally think kiting in Nioh is just making the game harder for yourself. Being extremely aggressive and using all the ki pulse abilities and a mixture of skills makes those encounters easy.

There is a side mission in the third region called 'The Fallen Onmyo Mages' where you have to clear the area by destroying the yellow crystals, the easy way is to just run past everything and destroy the crystals but this is a good area to really learn how to use everything effectively. There is a large crystal with two mages who will summon a tongue guy and an axe oni, if you leave the mages alone they will also bring in some floating heads and will fully buff themselves. Using ranged weapons makes this easy but trying to do this just using skills and standard attacks will pretty much force you to master the core mechanics as you have to deal with multiple elements, two aggressive very hard hitting enemies, two ranged attack enemies, as well as mages who may decide to run in and fight or just hit you with debuffs and onmyo. Essentially if you want to take them out this way you need to take out the targets as quick as possible without allowing ki to deplete. Nothing in the game is a problem once you get this way of fighting down. I personally think it is the more fun way and then add onmyo and ninjitsu into the mix it becomes even more fun.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I think I've seen it been called Finishing Blow, Killing blow and maybe Final Blow. Honestly, there are way too many names for the same thing but it always means the same "smack 'em while they are down" attack.

And yes, every single human opponent eats it, regardless of what buff states they are in, except when they are in the process of activating Living Weapon or some other similar buff up state. I've yet to find a human opponent who doesn't go down with it and like I mentioned previously, them getting knocked down will always also remove that buffed state as well.

There may be some obscure Hyper-Armor moments I've yet to test the attack on, but for the most part, it seems fail-proof barring those previously mentioned Living Weapon activation sequences.

This was very useful for the double boss fights, especially Oda and Yuki-onna. I kept throwing Oda on his back. Once he was down, the fight was basically done.

danowat

Banned
This game, I tried to boss 'Nue' last night and was getting smashed, so said fuck it, never again....

Until this morning when I decided to have another go, decided to try and summon some help, but jez, some of these people are more careless than me, 3 of them just got smashed immediately, the last one and I got him down to a slither of health, and the summoned person got really careless and died, but luckily I had my spirit weapon charged and managed to finish it off.

I do really like the game, but I really don't like the boss battles!

Gold is super important for Soul Matching and Reforging later on in the game.

Go to the skills panel, then equip your magic at a Shrine.

Batgirl, stay at mid-range (out of her attack range), dodge her telegraphed Paralysis attack. Use Shurikens or another ranged attack when she flies. If she is out of Ki, move back when she gets up because she will grab you. No need to use anti-paralysis (never done so myself).

Nah, you will never catch up to the mission level.

Bolded is true for the vast majority of non-human enemies. Yokai are only interrupted out of their attacks when they are in zero Ki state. In exchange, they do not regenerate Ki the same way humans do.

As for the boss itself, check out this video. The best breakdown of how she works that I've seen.

Thanks for tips. Got her. Took some tries. Killed her with 3hp remaining lol

So should I invest in magic ? Is it only about elemental damage to add to my weapons ?

Izuna

Banned
Thanks for tips. Got her. Took some tries. Killed her with 3hp remaining lol

So should I invest in magic ? Is it only about elemental damage to add to my weapons ?

Some Onyomi magic is extremely powerful. I would suggest looking through the skill tree and picking out what you like.

Sloth is controversial because it sort of trivialises most of the game up until the 3rd Difficulty (where it was nerfed in isolation).

But two very powerful, non-game breaking magic includes Lifeseal (Stops Ki regeneration) and Extraction (gives you amrita for attacking enemies, letting you activate Living Weapon more often).

There's Ninjutsu that are equally powerful. Most builds use a mix of the two, but you can definitely go like, 90/10 in terms of commitment to one or the other. However, Ninjutsu does require a bit more investment to reach its optimal power. You should have some sort of Shuriken tool however, for kiting and/or taking care of small enemies.

There's a lot to this game but don't feel overwhelmed. Each important skill becomes the defacto recommendation throughout the game so you will likely learn about most of them by completion. Because of respeccing being very easy, don't feel like you need any prior knowledge for builds.

Some Onyomi magic is extremely powerful. I would suggest looking through the skill tree and picking out what you like.

Sloth is controversial because it sort of trivialises most of the game up until the 3rd Difficulty (where it was nerfed in isolation).

But two very powerful, non-game breaking magic includes Lifeseal (Stops Ki regeneration) and Extraction (gives you amrita for attacking enemies, letting you activate Living Weapon more often).

There's Ninjutsu that are equally powerful. Most builds use a mix of the two, but you can definitely go like, 90/10 in terms of commitment to one or the other. However, Ninjutsu does require a bit more investment to reach its optimal power. You should have some sort of Shuriken tool however, for kiting and/or taking care of small enemies.

There's a lot to this game but don't feel overwhelmed. Each important skill becomes the defacto recommendation throughout the game so you will likely learn about most of them by completion. Because of respeccing being very easy, don't feel like you need any prior knowledge for builds.

Okay I'll scroll more in details in skills sets because I haven't seen anything like you mentioned in the onyomic magic tree.

I'll just play along and learn step by step. It looks like a game with easy repetion of missions and easy resepct, to fool around, try and retry things

Zakalwe

Banned
Completely forgot to check the OT when I made a thread asking this, I'll re-post here too in-case anyone has advice.

Hey masochist gaf,

I recently tried to play BB for the third time, but the frame pacing issues give me a headache and I can't play it. It was my first proper foray into Souls and I was picking it up okay, the main thing I had was a lack of patience but the game was definitely telling me I needed it...

I really loved what I played but it was just too uncomfortable.

I've not read much about Nioh but I know it's 60fps and I've read it runs well so I shouldn't have the same issue. Picked up a copy on a whim today.

I have a feeling I'm going to suck pretty hardcore at this for a while, so any advice for newbies would be really appreciated! I tend to avoid games like this as my gaming time is usually for unwinding more than testing myself these days, but I feel like a challenge...

Cheers!

Man it's kinda overwhelming to be back after two months of persona 5. The motor skills will come back easily I assume but all the stats and optimizations are kinda thrown out the window lol.

1) Does it still hold true that stats doesn't matter as much as Gear end game? Cause I wanna do katana, dual katana and Odachi with Onmyouji magic and high end Guardian spirits lol.

2) Is it advisable to jump straight into the DLC if I haven't done the way of the Strong? Ideally I want to earn tons of gold from the new content to finally get the last trophy to platinum

3) anything important from the last patch (1.11) ?

EDIT: URGH! Only 3 more points!!!

Jimrpg

Back in this game after 2 weeks holiday and got into the game no problems. But man this game feels really long and at this point unnecessarily so. I'm 60 hours in and just got to the Segikihara region, there's still a third of the game to go! I've mostly done the main missions and some side missions and none of the Twilight missions so far. I think I'm going slow but haven't really died much except at the bosses. I don't know how people are finishing this game in <35hours unless they are not fighting everything in their way? Not only that but there's so much equipment to sort through and that takes quite a bit of time.

Anyway it's an awesome game but it's a bit long for my tastes. There's so much post game and side content that I think the main game should be a bit shorter.

Izuna

Banned
I do think Nioh is a bit long, but tbh it's possible to get through a whole new difficulty in about 14 hours (including the DLC).

I enjoy the loot system and the respeccing. I only hope that they take a step back and refine it a bit instead of adding on top of it. I think I spent 5 hours to get the Toughness to 200 with A Agility? I haven't done something like that in a game since I was like, 17.

That being said, it's a game that would benefit from going full Diablo. Remove the restrictions on co-op, get rid of the silly Souls restrictions, and possibly cut back on side-missions that are just skirmish fights in the same areas.

Maybe a hub for multiple people to meet or something :D

Jimrpg

The loot system is indeed incredible. The devs have done an amazing job finding the right balance between a gamer's skill and equipment progression.

dili

Haven't followed this game since launch but for coop with a friend does it still require one individual to have completed the mission first?

Deku Tree

Haven't followed this game since launch but for coop with a friend does it still require one individual to have completed the mission first?

Yes the host has to beat the mission on the easiest difficulty. Then you can co-op on any difficulty.

So... I donet every side missions in the first area of the game.

Out of nowhere, in a truly outstanding first half of the year (Horizon, Persona 5, Yakuza 0) Nioh comes in, and might be my new favorite game ever. Holy shit its good.

Going round Osaka castle (Museum floor) right now, seen so much stuff from nioh ^^. Got the sexy red armour on display.

I was in Tokyo's Y&#363;sh&#363;kan two months ago, they had a samurai armor exhibition. Truly incredible craftsmanship :

AGIfego.png

sovETj0.png

uGTsc9c.png

vVzvve4.jpg

0EJ4gXi.png

I mean look at these details :

71ncg55.png

YSD3Cxj.png

Top Bottom