• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nippon Ichi wants To Broaden Disgaea’s Appeal with next game, more

The industry is littered with attempts to broaden the appeal of established franchises, only for them to fall flat on their faces.

zulux21

is there a chance of a Disgaea collection for PS4? The last disgaea game i played was 2.

I suppose a very small chance... Nis is far more about just releasing an improved version on handhelds and calling it good. If you end up getting a vita as a companion for the ps4 you will at least have access to the best versions of disgaea 3 and 4.

I find I can't sit in front of my TV and play a tactical RPG, but Disgaea 3 Vita has over 200 hours put into it on my system. I'd prefer to play anything on my beautiful OLED screen, but I could handle a 3DS version too.

This happens to me, I love to play SRPGs on Vita (psp ones) and NDS, but I don't like to play them on a tv or monitor, for that reason I didn't get Agarest on Steam.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I fear the end result of 'broadening the appeal' (if they're talking specifically about Japan) will be to make it more assembly-line moe.

Also, I wish I could slap whoever thought that putting random encounters in a SRPG was a good idea.
That's a very minority opinion. The most popular JP SRPGs are all low difficulty, repetitive sandbox games with random encounters. FFT, TO, Disgaea, FE: Awakening, etc.

But yes, Agarest has terrible gameplay even ignoring the fanservice.

That's a very minority opinion. The most popular JP SRPGs are all low difficulty, repetitive sandbox games with random encounters. FFT, TO, Disgaea, FE: Awakening, etc.

But yes, Agarest has terrible gameplay even ignoring the fanservice.
When I say random encounters, I meant in those dungeons/forests/whatever you have to run around in.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Well, it'll be interesting to see how they plan to broaden appeal, since Disgaea is basically some variant of a funny/comedic anime storyline with demons, mixed with grinding for up to hundreds of hours. Not exactly sure how they could 'streamline' or make more accessable to new fans without changing the formula a lot. Maybe make the main game longer, more involved somehow? Move the line a little closer to adding in jrpg features, instead of whats essentially a level-based srpg?

Granted, they've re-used arguably too much of the same formula with D2-D4, but Disgaea D2 coming out should hopefully streamline things a bit for those who want to, and make the challenge/grind longer with optional modes for those who desire that sort of thing.

Vita re-releases probably couldn't hurt, so I would guess D4 vita will do modestly well, as long as they make it so you can play it on the VitaTV, unlike Disgaea 3 with its touch controls.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Dang, the Vita TV brings up something else: why bother putting out PlayStation 3 versions in the first place? It's not like NIS games have ever pushed any system's hardware. Target the Vita and you target the PlayStation home and portable market. No fuss no muss.

PS3, Vita, PS4 with cross buy and cross saves.
I can't think of any third party retail game to go cross buy. Even when Atlus released Dragons Crown simultaneously on Ps3 and Vita, you had to buy both versions if you wanted to cross save. The M.O. for these niche publishers is release one version at a time, then release an updated (or not) version on another format 6 months to a year later.

Long story short, not going to happen.

Krammy

I'm watching cautiously from afar with this announcement. I don't want to jump the gun and say, "No, don't try to appeal to others", but at the same time, I'm not sure if I could handle any wild changes to the usual Disgaea formula.

Fingers crossed that this isn't as big of a deal as I'm worried it will be.

Can't wait to play Disgaea D2 on Vita in 2015... wish me luck.

I hope this statement doesn't mean F2P mobile. A $0 barrier of entry is often considered broadening a game's appeal these days.

I can't think of any third party retail game to go cross buy. Even when Atlus released Dragons Crown simultaneously on Ps3 and Vita, you had to buy both versions if you wanted to cross save. The M.O. for these niche publishers is release one version at a time, then release an updated (or not) version on another format 6 months to a year later.

Long story short, not going to happen.

I think people have pretty unrealistic expectations with cross-buy tbh... it's nice when Sony does it with applicable games for people who don't mind digital, but it should be seen as the perk it is, not as an expected standard. What would be more reasonable to expect from 3rd party games who're already being generous (or fulfilling an obligation) by developing multiplatform on a struggling platform like Vita, imo, is discounted digital bundles that encourage spending up, without essentially losing an entire sale, or at the most a cross-buy on elective digital games for PS+ subscribers at Sony's expense... in order to foot that bill on a regular basis, they'd probably have to do one less free game a month, which would annoy PS+ subscribers who have don't have a Vita and have no interest in one, but like free Vita games have done, it could potentially encourage a hardware sale. Even in that situation, I don't see non-Vita owners buying $70-80 bundles just because it's too good a deal to pass up, and stacking their library the way they do with stacking their download history with totally free games.

Disgaea ARPG would be awesome if Prinny 1 and 2 were any indication. I liked the Prinny platformers more than most Disgaea games for some reason.

only acceptable way of going about this is adding another mode, "easy mode"(.... or call it prinny mode :3) where its the same exact thing as the normal game except there is like almost no grind whatsoever, so basically just lower down enemy levels OR make the enemies level with you. we disgaea lovers get our nice grind fest and the casuals get tot experience the story. everyone wins.

watch them fuck it up if they do decided to go for a broader audience, then its goodbye NIS after that ._.

Disgaea ARPG would be awesome if Prinny 1 and 2 were any indication. I liked the Prinny platformers more than most Disgaea games for some reason.
I mean, do you find disgaea fun at all? I totally get that Many popular japanese SRPGs are a breeze compared to a lot of lesser known western SRPGs but you seem kinda distanced/passive aggressive most of the time you mention a japanese srpg.

Well, Disgaea definitely needs to change to some degree. I've really enjoyed the series in the past but even I'm not picking up D2 this week. They've just become to samey. The series is getting stale.

The first Disgaea was something very new and different, and I hope they try to do something like that again.

I mean, do you find disgaea fun at all? I totally get that Many popular japanese SRPGs are a breeze compared to a lot of lesser known western SRPGs but you seem kinda distanced/passive aggressive most of the time you mention a japanese srpg.
I like the main story missions, but I lose interest pretty quickly once the 'postgame' hits. Geopanels and other mechanics are really cool too. It's a fun series for what it is, imo.

Pallad1um

How about broaden the consoles on witch a game is released? Or release them on Steam? They put Disgaea on DS, and Phantom Brave on the Wii, but thats practically it. I really would love to play Disgaea on the 360 (or any SRPG, by the way). Is NIS a second party of Sony?

I'll never understand how people can like the postgame in Disgaea. The game becomes literally nothing but a grinding and numbers simulator at that point. If becoming more accessible meant putting a bigger focus on the main game, then I'd be for it.

Takao

Banned
How about broaden the consoles on witch a game is released? Or release them on Steam? They put Disgaea on DS, and Phantom Brave on the Wii, but thats practically it. I really would love to play Disgaea on the 360 (or any SRPG, by the way). Is NIS a second party of Sony?

No one owns a 360 in Japan, and the 6 people that do would probably just buy the PS3 release if they're interested in it. As for the west, Microsoft required (perhaps they still do) something like a 40k print run for games, which would is an expensive gamble for a small company.

Type-Zero

I am also a little cautious of them trying to broaden disgaea. I love the series alot. However, it is getting a bit old with the formula. I feel if they want to broaden they need a new series and leave disgaea as is.

Disgaea will always be about lv.9999, billions of damage, over the top specials,Demons,wacky references and parodies. I feel it should stay that way. They need to work on end game balance. Alot of the mechanics become useless at that point.

I feel if they want to broaden they need a new series and leave disgaea as is.
I think NIS have been trying to find some other IP that's like Disgaea, that they can turn into a franchise. We've had Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom and most recently Kamipara, but they've just haven't sold as well.

With the loss of talent at NIS recently I can only see them doubling down on Disgaea from here on out.

Might be a good idea. The Disgaea series got super bogged down with extra mechanics in 3 imo. Still have yet to beat 3 or 4 despite owning them since launch and skipped D2 because I knew I would never slog through it.

If "broadening appeal" means what many people here are saying it means.
Making less characters like Etna, that is a worst case scenario for me.

I also really don't like how people's criticisms of games is often the things I like about them most. And their ideas of fixing genres and games would require removing everything that makes them appeal to me.

I'm all for experimenting and making interesting games. If Nippon Ichi wants to make an action RPG, that's great. If there are any gameplay improvements to make, that would be great.

The day that I lose stories about silly whimsical cute demons of indeterminate age, is the day I lose one of my favourite things in the modern video game industry.

Top Bottom