• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NISA to no longer publish Atlus games in Europe, Atlus not distributing NISA in US

Whatever. It's not like there's a good localisation work for european releases in the first place. Most of the games came here in english only.

EU People will buy US Persona 5.

None of this would be a problem if Nintendo wasn't so fucking dumb.

You've had almost a decade to "work on it" after the Persona games exploded in popularity, and you've continued to do nothing about it.

Here's a thought for you Atlus, Idea Factory International were using NISA to publish their games outside of Japan up until 2 years ago - now they're a more consistent publisher in the West than you are. They've got their own online store in the US and Europe which sells collectors edition games, they release stuff in both regions less than 1 week apart, they port almost everything to Steam. And they're doing it all off the back of a few mildly profitable Neptunia games. Take a long hard look at what they're doing and let it sink in why we're sick of your shoddy treatment of European customers.

Amen.

Eolz

Whatever. It's not like there's a good localisation work for european releases in the first place. Most of the games came here in english only.

EU People will buy US Persona 5.

None of this would be a problem if Nintendo wasn't so fucking dumb.

Importing things doesn't fix the problem, it just makes you take a detour to avoid it.

You've had almost a decade to "work on it" after the Persona games exploded in popularity, and you've continued to do nothing about it.

Here's a thought for you Atlus, Idea Factory International were using NISA to publish their games outside of Japan up until 2 years ago - now they're a more consistent publisher in the West than you are. They've got their own online store in the US and Europe which sells collectors edition games, they release stuff in both regions less than 1 week apart, they port almost everything to Steam. And they're doing it all off the back of a few mildly profitable Neptunia games. Take a long hard look at what they're doing and let it sink in why we're sick of your shoddy treatment of European customers.
Hard not to give this a clap. Well said.

Sega Europe is a real shit show these days but I wouldnt completely blame them when Atlus has the track record it has

Was always going to just import it or buy it from the US store anyway though instead of waiting 6-12 months because Atlus still things its 1997

Fisico

Atlus have now been published in the EU by Koei, Square Enix, Ghostlight, NISA, Sega, Deep Silver, Zen United, PQube, and Nintendo. Every single one of those relationships, even the one with their fucking owners, didn't produce consistent and/or feature complete releases with the US. It's pretty clear that Atlus aren't a good company to work with. NISA did the best job, and now that's no more.

Ubisoft published (and translated) SMT III too so you can add them to the list :)

I've never bought Atlus games at full price anyway. I borrowed P3, P4: Golden and only recently bought Catherine 2 weeks ago for £6 in CEX. When I played the demo for Etrian Odyssey I was going to buy it on launch, only to find out the next installment was being released in Japan shortly after. Region locking Persona Arena only made it worse as I did wanna play that game on launch.

Fuck 'em. They make good games but the way they release games and treat Europe means I will continue to not buy their games.

OmegaDL50

Guys, what if P5 is region-locked, like Persona 4 Arena was ? :(

While Persona 4 Arena was region-locked, Ultimax was not, which was the last Persona related title to be released on console.

Despite the precedent existing, Atlus would be foolish to retread that line, especially for one their mainline self-developed flagship titles, rather than a fighting game which is more or less a side-game like Persona Q and P4:DAN were.

Can Atlus really afford to region lock one of their biggest games to be released even factoring the uncertainty of what European publisher they may decide to work with, and Sega's own lackadaisical approach in basically saying "Atlus can do whatever they want"

The whole situation just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

While Persona 4 Arena was region-locked, Ultimax was not, which was the last Persona related title to be released on console.

Despite the precedent existing, Atlus would be foolish to retread that line, especially for one their mainline self-developed flagship titles, rather than a fighting game which is more or less a side-game like Persona Q and P4:DAN were.

Can Atlus really afford to region lock one of their biggest games to be released even factoring the uncertainty of what European publisher they may decide to work with, and Sega's own lackadaisical approach in basically saying "Atlus can do whatever they want"

The whole situation just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Ultimax was not locked at the cost of losing the entire japanese dub for story mode.
So it was still a poor job ( and yes that was a deliberate decision )

Cikay

Well, they could region-lock the game in order to not losing sales in the eventuality of an european publishing, even if this publishing is uncertain...

But let's pray it won't be the case.

Top Bottom