• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NJPW Dominion 6.11 in Osaka-jo Hall [OT] Legend of the Seven Stars

Road to Dominion show kicks off tomorrow from Korakuen Hall, here's the card:

(1) Shota Umino & Tetsuhiro Yagi vs. El Desperado & TAKA Michinoku
(2) Togi Makabe, Yuji Nagata, Tiger Mask IV, Hirai Kawato & Tomoyuki Oka vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima, Manabu Nakanishi, Jushin Thunder Liger & Katsuya Kitamura
(3) Tomohiro Ishii & Gedo vs. Hangman Page & Yujiro Takahashi
(4) Michael Elgin, David Finlay, Raymond Rowe & Hanson vs. Cody, Bad Luck Fale, Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa
(5) Hirooki Goto, Toru Yano, YOSHI-HASHI & Jado vs. Minoru Suzuki, Zack Sabre Jr., Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Taichi
(6) Hiroshi Tanahashi, Ryusuke Taguchi, Juice Robinson, Ricochet & KUSHIDA vs. Tetsuya Naito, SANADA, EVIL, BUSHI & Hiromu Takahashi
(7) Kazuchika Okada, Rocky Romero & Barreta vs. Kenny Omega, Matt & Nick Jackson

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
You've missed a hell of a 3 months. Shibata vs. Okada may be as good as Okada vs. Omega.

just watched Okada vs Shibata, great match however for me personally Omega Okada beats it by a little. I love the pacing in the Omega match more than the Shibata match

Foggy

any matches in particular to watch, already seen the Okada one, which others are a classix from Kenny?

Omega/Naito and Omega/Goto G1 matches are tremendous, particularly because Kenny pulled off both performances back to back. His ladder match with Elgin at Dominion is also tremendous.

Apropos of Kenny's run, his knees are sublime

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

any matches in particular to watch, already seen the Okada one, which others are a classix from Kenny?

Omega vs Kushida, WK10

Omega vs Tanahashi, New Beginning in Niigata.

Omega vs Elgin Ladder Match, Dominion 6.19

Omega vs Naito, G1

Omega vs Goto, G1

There's a couple others that were pretty good, but those are the main ones that come to mind from 2016.

Omega vs Kushida, WK10

Omega vs Tanahashi, New Beginning in Niigata.

Omega vs Elgin Ladder Match, Dominion 6.19

Omega vs Naito, G1

Omega vs Goto, G1

There's a couple others that were pretty good, but those are the main ones that come to mind from 2016.

Omega vs Kushida is an often overlooked match IMO. The end of WK10 was so good people forget it.

I'm tempted to resub for this.

Feel I should also start paying more attention to NJPW if I'm planning on going to their show in October while I'm in Tokyo.

XenoRaven

Some thoughts on Naito:

I watched NJPW actively for about two years, then quit when I just lost interest in wrestling in general. When I was watching, one guy who I just didn't "get" was Naito. He was just coming back from a knee injury and I didn't really notice anything special about him. I guess some of that could be due to the fact that he was feuding with Yujiro at the time.

I haven't been watching, but I've been paying enough attention at this point to say that his transformation after how excursion to Mexico has been nothing short of amazing. It's always great to see a guy who is that talented really find and embrace a character.

How many guys over the course of the history of wrestling have tried to make a story out of how dissatisfied they are with their spot and it just amounts to nothing? Especially recently, lots of guys talk about how entertaining they are, or how they put on the best matches, but it kind of rings hollow because they keep doing the same thing they've been doing.

Naito's dissatisfaction with his position in the company changed him. He worked​ his ass off to become one of the top stars in the company but he was denied, by his superiors and by the fans. So he stopped caring. He doesn't care about belts, he doesn't care about fans, he's completely irreverent to virtually every aspect of wrestling other than the actual wrestling.

Even as a distant observer, it's been real fun to watch. I'm resubbing to NJPW for this show and I'm excited to see the new Naito in action for a full match finally.

Some thoughts on Naito:

I watched NJPW actively for about two years, then quit when I just lost interest in wrestling in general. When I was watching, one guy who I just didn't "get" was Naito. He was just coming back from a knee injury and I didn't really notice anything special about him. I guess some of that could be due to the fact that he was feuding with Yujiro at the time.

I haven't been watching, but I've been paying enough attention at this point to say that his transformation after how excursion to Mexico has been nothing short of amazing. It's always great to see a guy who is that talented really find and embrace a character.

How many guys over the course of the history of wrestling have tried to make a story out of how dissatisfied they are with their spot and it just amounts to nothing? Especially recently, lots of guys talk about how entertaining they are, or how they put on the best matches, but it kind of rings hollow because they keep doing the same thing they've been doing.

Naito's dissatisfaction with his position in the company changed him. He worked​ his ass off to become one of the top stars in the company but he was denied, by his superiors and by the fans. So he stopped caring. He doesn't care about belts, he doesn't care about fans, he's completely irreverent to virtually every aspect of wrestling other than the actual wrestling.

Even as a distant observer, it's been real fun to watch. I'm resubbing to NJPW for this show and I'm excited to see the new Naito in action for a full match finally.

Naito's give zero fucks character has been one of the best things about NJPW for the last couple years, and the best part is that it makes total sense. He was pushed to the moon and rejected by the fans, with New Japan pushing guys like Tanahashi and Okada instead, and rather than be bitter and work harder, he's created the tranquilo persona you see, where he's vicious to other wrestlers and titles.

One of the best things about how shitty he is to the IC belt is the storyline behind it, as he believes that belt was the very thing that cost him his main event spot at Wrestle Kingdom 8 to Tanahashi and Nakamura. And with NJPW now introducing the US title, he feels it's just going to devalue his belt further, so fuck it, I'm going to destroy it.

Also, it really helps him with his heel persona. Osaka is really the only city where he's universally hated, so fans will be 100% behind Tanahashi at Dominion.

Also, Road to Dominion was a decent show but totally skippable, the main event of the Elite vs. Okada/RPG Vice was fun but that's about it.

Some thoughts on Naito:

There's a whole lot going on with Naito. He's a guy I found painfully dull around that same period of time you mentioned, I fell asleep during a couple of his matches. But when he return Tranquilo, it was amazing. His work with Shibata during that years G1 just solidified his new attitude, or lack there of.

There's a point I want to bring up about him. You mentioned that he doesn't care about the fans. What makes him even more interesting is that this isn't true, he really cares. But he only cares for the Los Ingobernables fans.

Also, I love that he's not going to have a belt after Dominion. Either Tanahashi wins it, or it's going to be fully destroyed.

XenoRaven

There's a point I want to bring up about him. You mentioned that he doesn't care about the fans. What makes him even more interesting is that this isn't true, he really cares. But he only cares for the Los Ingobernables fans.
That's fair. There's a sweet gif floating around where he dramatically fist bumps some kid in the crowd who is an LIJ fan.

Hey New Japan professionals

How long do you think this event will be? ~4 hours?

Starts at 1am here so I'm planning on just staying up. Doesn't seem like it's as crazy long as WK or anything but I have no frame of reference really

Yeah, 4 hours is a good estimate. Maybe 4 and a half, especially if Okada vs Omega goes long.

Also, worth noting that the pre-show match will be 20 minutes before the start of the main show.

Heroman

Banned

Starts at 1am here so I'm planning on just staying up. Doesn't seem like it's as crazy long as WK or anything but I have no frame of reference really
Probably around 4:30 to 5 hours.

Foggy

I would say 4+ but definitely not 5. It helps that there won't be an intermission.

TheStruggler

how long is the run time for the show roughly, it starts 1am my time and just wondering if I should stay up or watch it later on

Jashobeam

Glad theres an OT for this, the 2nd half of the show is going to be absolute bonkers. I wonder if Kenny will actually hit his finisher this time, and if he does, will it be enough to takedown Okada? The man that took everything Suzuki and Shibata could dish out and still come out on top? Damn I cant wait to see how all this will unfold.

SavoryTruffle

Neo Member
Are NJPW shows up for viewing soon after they end live?

I don't think I can stay up all night for this, but if I can watch it tomorrow afternoon I'll probably sub.

TheStruggler

I don't think I can stay up all night for this, but if I can watch it tomorrow afternoon I'll probably sub.

I watched the kenny omega and okada match on dailymotion, thats usually a site I found has a good slection of matches on there

Jashobeam

Not sure if it goes up right away but its very fast, pretty sure you'll be able to watch within hours after it airs

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Show starting in less than an hour. Plus there's a pre show match in about 30 minutes (3:45 PM local time). Good time to try out the NJPW World Chromecast app.

Brinbe

Fuck... Got a full day of work today. Thinking I should just sleep now and hopefully wake up in time for the Naito/Tana Takahashi/Kushida Okada/Omega matches

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I watched the kenny omega and okada match on dailymotion, thats usually a site I found has a good slection of matches on there

Its also very frowned upon.

Just saying.

Top Bottom