• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NME: The 500 Greatest Albums Of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarate

Banned
The problem with "top _____" lists is they always have so much bias in them. People don't look at the scope of music andnjust readily ignore very important parts ofmmusic they may not like. The only way to make a best of list is to gather somehow unbiased sources (impossible) or to streamline it into categorical ideas you can easily rate suchnas impact, and other such ideas.

RangerX

Banned
I don't really have a definite Top 10, but here are all the albums I would give a six star honorable mention to. No order, except the bolded which is my favorite album ever.

Arcade Fire - Funeral (2004)
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence (1991)
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (1966)
Death - The Sound of Perseverance (1998)
Meshuggah - Chaosphere (1998)
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Requiem (BBC Symphony Orchestra/Colin Davis) (1967)
Opeth - Blackwater Park (2001)
The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead (1986)
Soundgarden - Superunknown (1994)
Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten (1991)
Temple of the Dog - Temple of the Dog (1991)
Yes - Close to the Edge (1972)

You have pretty much the exact same taste in music as me. Props for in cluding unquestionable presence. What a fucking album. I would swap the smiths for the Stone roses debut though and temple of the dog for annhilation of the wicked. i would Probably throw Dirt in there too.

CloudWolf

I have never unstood the obsession with 'Is This It'. IMO it's a pretty average album with Last Nite as the only highlight. Up the Bracket by The Libertines is a much better early 00's garage rock album.

Anyway, I like the fact that they put Pulp's Different Class and Bowie's Hunky Dory in the Top 10. I love those album to death, but they're almost always overlooked in lists like this.

The Queen Is Dead? No... no. Louder Than Bombs or Hatful of Hollow are much better.
I don't think compilation albums count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom