• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NME: The 500 Greatest Albums Of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Did they seriously organize their list so you have to click 500 fucking times to see the whole thing?

they've only put the first 100 up there, but the rest will be put up hopefully in a better fashion, it's a bit ridiculous and lazy, barely any description why an album made the list and reason for it's placement.

Servbot24

Banned
I expected you to have a lot more left-field choices tbh.

Nah, I find most of those records to be classics for good reason. They each ooze creativity (without being sloppy) and have incredible craftsmanship on multiple levels. To me Boxer is the odd one out on my list, but it had the advantage of soaking in during a pretty impressionable time in my life. I do think it will be a record that stands up for decades though.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
MPP at 416!? That shit is top 50 at the lowest.
Surely you mean top 50 overrated albums released in the last 5 years that only have one good side. It'd be pretty high on that top 50 for me.

If it's gonna be list wars all up in here I should probably throw mine down anyway.

1. The Wrens - The Meadowlands
2. Ween - The Pod
3. New Kingdom - Paradise Don't Come Cheap
4. Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein
5. UGK - Ridin' Dirty
6. Sonic Youth - Sonic Nurse
7. The Raveonettes - Chain Gang of Love
8. boris - boris at last -feedbacker-
9. Dead Kennedys - Plastic Surgery Disasters
10. Blonde Redhead - Fake Can Be Just as Good

andymcc

Banned
We doing this?

10 | Sigur Ros -Agaetis Byrjun
9 | Station to Station -David Bowie
8 | Funeral - Arcade Fire
7 | O.K Computer - Radiohead
6 | Revolver - The Beatles
5 | In The Aeroplane Over the Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel
4 | Closer - Joy Division
3 | London Calling - The Clash
2 | Velvet Underground - Velvet Underground
1 | Remain in Light - Talking Heads

Number 10 can be Let it Be - Replacements depending on the day.

nice #1.

I'll bite. I don't do these like I used to.

10. Rolling Stones- Sticky Fingers
9. Wire- Pink Flag
8. David Bowie- Low
7. Pavement- Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
6. Neutral Milk Hotel- In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
5. Radiohead- Kid A
4. Galaxie 500- On Fire
3. Talking Heads- Remain in Light
2. The Stooges- Fun House
1. My Bloody Valentine- Loveless

I subbed out my #10 after hitting submit. hehe.

andymcc

Banned
MPP would probably make my top 150 or so. It has around 6 incredible songs but also some mid-tier tracks.

i loved that fucking record when it came out but when i listen nowadays i just skip around half of it. Sung Tongs and Feels are so much better.

liquidtmd

Banned
All subjective. Seems to be UK centric. I'm in the UK. In terms of subjectivity I like the list. The Smiths, Oasis, The Beatles = Win.

To the haters, don't worry there will be another list 'top 500' list soon completely different to appease you.

Probably from the NME

JohnDoe

Banned
Here's what I'd pick for a top 10 of all time:

1. Marvin Gaye - What's Going On?
2. Revolver
3. Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
4. Prince - Purple Rain
5. Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
6. Sly & The Family Stone - Stand!
7. Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers
8. The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
9. David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
10. Michael Jackson - Thriller

-Eddman-

We're doing our own lists now? Mine would change every year but this is the top 10 from the top of my head (in no order):

Radiohead - OK Computer
Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible
Daft Punk - Discovery
Failure - Fantastic Planet
X-Japan - Blue Blood
L'arc en Ciel - True
Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys pt. 2
Nirvana - In Utero
Caifanes - El Diablito
Pixies - Doolittle

We're doing our own lists now? Mine would change every year but this is the top 10 from the top of my head (in no order):

Radiohead - OK Computer
Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible
Daft Punk - Discovery
Failure - Fantastic Planet
X-Japan - Blue Blood
L'arc en Ciel - True
Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys pt. 2
Nirvana - In Utero
Caifanes - El Diablito
Pixies - Doolittle

Heh, I was listening to this today. Good stuff.

Ezduo

Banned
Dark Side of the Moon not in the top ten? List is bad.
I feel Dark Side of the Moon is much like Sgt. Peppers by the Beatles in that it's clearly the bands most famous work but arguable over whether or not it's their best.

I consider Wish You Were Here and Animals superior in every way.

I don't really have a definite Top 10, but here are all the albums I would give a six star honorable mention to. No order, except the bolded which is my favorite album ever.

Arcade Fire - Funeral (2004)
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence (1991)
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (1966)
Death - The Sound of Perseverance (1998)
Meshuggah - Chaosphere (1998)
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Requiem (BBC Symphony Orchestra/Colin Davis) (1967)
Opeth - Blackwater Park (2001)
The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead (1986)
Soundgarden - Superunknown (1994)
Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten (1991)
Temple of the Dog - Temple of the Dog (1991)
Yes - Close to the Edge (1972)

overcast

Even as much as I love Is This It, I couldn't put it anywhere near the top 10 of all time. It wouldn't be in the top 20 of my personal list.

besada

Banned
Surely you mean top 50 overrated albums released in the last 5 years that only have one good side. It'd be pretty high on that top 50 for me.

If it's gonna be list wars all up in here I should probably throw mine down anyway.

2. Ween - The Pod
9. Dead Kennedys - Plastic Surgery Disasters

I have gained a whole new respect for you. Although I like Frankenchrist better than PSD.

Batigol

Banned
Pixies?

HAHAHAHA

Lead singer can't sing for shit. And the guitarist (whoever he is) is shambolic. High school stuff

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I feel Dark Side of the Moon is much like Sgt. Peppers by the Beatles in that it's clearly the bands most famous work but arguable over whether or not it's their best.

I consider Wish You Were Here and Animals superior in every way.

One of them at least should be in the top ten, in my opinion, Dark Side of the Moon just edges it for me, but they are all easily some of the best.

DopeToast

Banned
I don't mind The Strokes being that high, especially in NME, it's kind of expected. They love that album and I do too. But where is Pet Sounds?

Pezking

Yay, lists!

Peter Gabriel - Us
Elliott Smith - XO
The National - Boxer
The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
Muse - Origin of Symmetry
Bad Religion - Suffer
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
Arcade Fire - Funeral
The Police - Synchronicity
Depeche Mode - Music for the Masses

Lol the first American band in the list are The Strokes. That's a joke on their part right? As in "your rock is so shite compared to our rock that the best you've got is the bloody Strokes"

Bread

Banned
i loved that fucking record when it came out but when i listen nowadays i just skip around half of it. Sung Tongs and Feels are so much better.
i agree, but i dont expect big music sites to harp on them. mpp is a classic pop album, sung tongs and feels are way less accessible.

Homogenic is a better album than Vespertine and they're both too low -_-

but wait

I don't like Aura.

If I ask him once what would he say?
Is he willing?
Can he play?

ibc8X2P6DkaMxv.gif

I shouldn't have waited so long to add Debut to my Bjork discography.

One Day
Venus as a Boy

ibnroFGlSsKBOR.gif

xy0tOjl.png

...who are you and can you please share whatever you're smoking with the rest of popgaf?

1. Radiohead - OK Computer
2. PJ Harvey - Is This Desire?
3. Nirvana - In Utero
4. X-Ray Spex - Germ Free Adolescents
5. Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love and Hate
6. Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
7. Love - Forever Changes
8. Pixies - Surfer Rosa
9. David Bowie - Station to Station
10. Tom Waits - The Black Rider

I don't know if my list is better or worse, but their top 2 are crazy.

The Queen Is Dead? No... no. Louder Than Bombs or Hatful of Hollow are much better.

Revolver? Kind of boring. I can accept the White Album, since it reaches so much higher highs.

Can't argue with David Bowie. You could put Hunky Dory, Low, Ziggy Stardust, or Station to Station in the top 10, and it would make sense to me.

Phillip E.

Neo Member
Why do lists such as these exist? Are they gratifying to narcissists in superficial social constructs? Absurd.

Anyway, my top ten includes ...

Why do lists such as these exist? Are they gratifying to narcissists in superficial social constructs?

Gratifying to whatissists in a supersomething social what? If I understand you correctly:

They're soothing to overstimulated brains in a chaotic field of common interest.

They create a measure of kinship in a frequently solitary leisure pursuit.

They are at once an invitation to reflection, a memorandum of pleasing experiences, and a conveyance to potential future satisfaction.

Or in short, lists are ok.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
That's just a bad list. They shouldn't get credit just for having some great albums in the top 10, anyone can do that.

Phillip E.

Neo Member
Gratifying to whatissists in a supersomething social what? If I understand you correctly:

They're soothing to overstimulated brains in a chaotic field of common interest.

They create a measure of kinship in a frequently solitary leisure pursuit.

They are at once an invitation to reflection, a memorandum of pleasing experiences, and a conveyance to potential future satisfaction.

Or in short, lists are ok.
I'll have to buy you a drink sometime. Damn that is a funny and proper rebuttal.

Scuderia

Seriously, DSotM whilst high was one of the best experiences of my life.

And i thought i preferred The Wall, but that just made me scared!

xbhaskarx

Revolver, The Smiths, Bowie, Velvet Underground, Stone Roses, Pulp, Pixies... can't complain too much.

Pixies?

HAHAHAHA

Lead singer can't sing for shit. And the guitarist (whoever he is) is shambolic. High school stuff
I hope you were banned for this comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom