• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Blast Works Hype?

Scrubking

Seriously, I don't particularly like shooters so I find it strange that I'm making this thread instead of one of the many gamers on here who buy up every VC and Wiiware Shmup that comes out. I really like this game and plan to make my own Star Wars and boob fighter shmups.

Anyway here's some stuff for the uninformed:

Ship building video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUcUjDxmGzs

Depot Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMMhQCzbR_k

Blast Works trade depot website
http://blastworksdepot.com/games/blastworks/

IGN editor blog
http://blogs.ign.com/BlastWorks/2008/06/04/91955/

Here's some quotes from a dev who posts at Gfaqs:

Hey all:
Please keep in mind, while you won't be able to create your own movements from scratch, there is a plethora of movement patterns that are shipping with the game, not to mention these patterns can be "layered" in a parent-to-child manner. There are some very interesting patterns you can create by layering them.

Not to mention - there will be DLC for Blast Works too - so more movement patterns via DLC is not out of the question. :)

I think "rough" would be a good way to describe it. The great thing about the editor suite is that I can't tell you exactly what you can and cannot do. It's going to take some experimenting to figure out what it's capable of.

We even ran into a few instances ourselves where there was a way to do something - just took some experimentation. I'm sorry I'm speaking so vaguely - but honestly once you get your hands on the editors, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Backgrounds:
= Yes, it is possible to create your own backgrounds, you simply adjust the variables and options within the level editor.

Vertical Shmups:
= Yes, you can drop a camera trigger near the beginning of the level within the level editor that will scroll the camera vertically

Importing Music:
= Unfortunately we didn't get the SD support in within the time-frame of development - however, there is a large bank of different tracks to choose from.

the editors that are shipping with the game are the exact same ones we used to develop the levels. Granted we were working on a PC-based version of the editors; but they're essentially the same thing.

4 Player co-op is available for local games (4 players on the same Wii)

Ships can overlap one-another and don't interfere, but it gets crazy when everyone is trying to snag enemy pieces!

The game is only $40 and it comes out in 5 days.

CTLance

Le sigh....
jfhi80.png

5 days, eh? It's a shame I already preordered this at amazon, or I'd import it. At least I'll get copius amounts of user created stuff when it's released here. :D

Kevtones

I'm buying it Day 1.

I probably don't have an extensive amount of time to work with the editor but I"m excited for the collective contributions. Should be interesting.

Count me in as another that will get it the week it comes out---possibly the day it comes out. This may well be the closest thing to Tyrian in terms of replayability and/or depth we may see on the console front for years to come.

Plus, come on, this gives me a chance to wrangle a Political Parodius of sorts starring Herman Cain, Mike Gravel, and Ron Paul as the playable characters....until the dark day comes when I can manage something even more powerful in that regard.

DLC capability is news to me, awesome if they stick with it and expand it appropriately.

great game. we (EGM) gave it excellent scores: A, A-, B- (mine being the A-). good stuff, i look forward to seeing what the community creates.

Hiltz

I've played the PC version demo of Blast Works which I think went by a different name. The gameplay was shallow but creative with the ship building parts. It was pretty fun while it lasted. Unfortunately, I think Blast Works would have had a better chance of selling better as a Wiiware title despite the good reviews it has been receiving.

This looks really interesting. I love shmups and I am a sucker for games that let you create. I'll definately be picking it up. Hopefully I can devote enough time into it to produce something decent. This game could be incredible if a good community develops behind it.

rocksolidaudio said:
great game. we (EGM) gave it excellent scores: A, A-, B- (mine being the A-). good stuff, i look forward to seeing what the community creates.

Great news.

I still can't believe Majesco was the first developer to do user created content correctly on the Wii, besting even Nintendo. I just hope the data doesn't take up too many blocks...

batbeg

One of my most anticipated titles, and I too have found the lack of hype on it on GAF somewhat disturbing. Unfortunately no clue when it comes out in Europe, and I'm still terrified of importing many games in case the Freeloader gets blocked :(

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
gah, i knew i was missing an important release this month. there goes my wallet.

Avrum

Definitely getting this, first thing I'm doing with the editor though is testing the limits of what I can do with it. I already have some ideas of what I want to do, but I have to see if they're feasible first.

I'm looking forward to all of the Darius, Gradius, R-Type, and whateverwhatever clones that are going to pop up soon after the game comes out.

Really...REALLY excited for this game.

Hiltz said:
I've played the PC version demo of Blast Works which I think went by a different name. The gameplay was shallow but creative with the ship building parts. It was pretty fun while it lasted. Unfortunately, I think Blast Works would have had a better chance of selling better as a Wiiware title despite the good reviews it has been receiving.

This is vastly, vastly expanded over the original. It's not a port of Tumiki Fighters, though that's included.

Raistlin

This game is right behind MGS4 for my 'top of summer' list.

Can't wait!

batbeg said:
One of my most anticipated titles, and I too have found the lack of hype on it on GAF somewhat disturbing.

This has confused me as well.

LBP has been getting insane hype ... you'd think this would at least get some love.

Scrubking

Hiltz said:
Unfortunately, I think Blast Works would have had a better chance of selling better as a Wiiware title despite the good reviews it has been receiving.

There is no way this can be on Wiiware. There is the main game plus a bunch of unlockable shmups and other unlockable content. Then there is the full fledged editor that let's you make whatever shmup you want.

And for those wondering you can transfer your content directly to another Wii instead of using the depot. Obviously they're not going to let you upload your penis ships and boob rockets there.

batbeg said:
One of my most anticipated titles, and I too have found the lack of hype on it on GAF somewhat disturbing.

Yeah it's kind of sad actually, the game seems to be really thorough and the online share stuff sounds awesome.

At least I'm buying it.

dyls

batbeg said:

Everyone's too busy creating threads about how there are no worthwhile third-party games for the Wii :[

So it's actually coming out the 10th then? No more delays? God damn I've been looking forward to this game for a while now.

Scrubking said:
It's very sad. The devs are putting a lot of effort and content into this game unlike the vast majority of other devs and no one cares.

There's a huge assumption in the gaming world that there are few, if any, quality 3rd party titles on Wii. Whilst true for the most part, this stigma causes games like Blast Works to be banished into the shadows as few realise that some companies actually are trying on the system.

I remember reading the EGM thread created a couple of weeks after Boom Blox came out, and heaps of Gaffers were like "wait, Boom Blox is actually good?" despite the fact that many of us who actually tried the game had been praising it since the day it came out.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
HOLY SHIT. This is the first game that has ever made me want to get a Wii. The amount of customization is incredible. I might bite (console + game) because it looks so damn awesome. Wish this was coming to PCs or 360.

Scrubking said:
It's very sad. The devs are putting a lot of effort and content into this game unlike the vast majority of other devs and no one cares.

I'm pretty sure this will catch on to gaf once someone creates some sort of penis level where you shoot at vaginas.

Haunted

dyls said:
Everyone's too busy creating threads about how there are no worthwhile third-party games for the Wii :[
smallest_violin.jpg

You're right, though.

I thought Tumiki Fighters was ok, but it looks like they've added tons of content to flesh this version out. Kinda like Boom Blox when I think about it.

Not out in Europe yet, unfortunately...Count on me to get aboard the hype train sooner or later though, especially with all the very positive impressions this game is getting.

Nothing wrong with post release hype. Nothing worse than the smell of artificially created hype. If the game is as good as rocksolidaudio says, people around here will play it.

I was a little shocked by the lack of a mirror tool in the video, but you mirror after a limb is created instead of on the fly. That's probably better.

I have finals this week but I'll probably check it out later. Although. I might be pretty busy making user created content once the Spore creature editor comes out.

Scrubking

I'm waiting on Amazon so I won't be getting it for a while.

In the meantime you can discuss Nintendo not allowing Budcat to implement SD card support.

zigg

Picking up my preordered copy on the way home from work today. I got it with trade credit from a really sweet deal (made it basically a 1-for-1 trade), but if you're paying cash you might want to consider Circuit City next week--they're giving a $10 gift card with purchase, so you get it for effectively $30.

blu

i'm picking it this weekend when i'll be actually able to play it. the game is a must for me.

zigg

blu said:
i'm picking it this weekend when i'll be actually able to play it. the game is a must for me.

You're still in my Wii address book from the admittedly limited Dewy level exchanges we did, so do send me any neat stuff you build.

blu

zigg said:
You're still in my Wii address book from the admittedly limited Dewy level exchanges we did, so do send me any neat stuff you build.
you betch ya : ) btw, you may want to register your preferable usename with blast work's depot now, lest you discovered later that 'zigg' be taken; i just registered as darkblu as blu was already unavailable.

btw, i've been meaning to ask you if you ever received my dewy pit grinder level - the one with the several puffers transporting you over the central pit and the nasty monster formations on the sides?

zigg

blu said:
btw, i've been meaning to ask you if you ever received my dewy pit grinder level - the one with the several puffers transporting you over the central pit and the nasty monster formations on the sides?

I... think I did. Send it again, maybe, to see?

Dewy's level editor sort of annoyed me; it needed the ability to build your own landmass (which should have been easy, really, they were just a grid of boxes) and it would have helped if you weren't tied to manual camera control while playing the levels. I think what interests me the most about BlastWorks' editor is that it's giving pretty much the most freedom in design I've seen in a long time.

Top Bottom