• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No booth for Nintendo at GDC 2016 - Relation to NX reveal?

Banned
It's being shown behind closed doors to devs if the rumours are true. Just like the Wii U was the year it was to be released. Might get some leaks after that.

tengiants

It'll always be hilarious to me when people say "It's Nintendo" as if Nintendo was somehow a company run by idiots with no idea of what they're doing. Sure, they've made mistakes (as have most companies) but their history has way more success stories than failures so I have no idea why people always expect the worst.

"Nintendo is gonna Nintendo lolol!"

These are just conformists. Let them have their boring and trite lives.

killroy87

I have zero doubt the NX is unveiled and released this year. it's just a matter of if we have to wait until E3.

I am not sure about this, they only have ~20 weeks left and there is nothing between now and then so it would have to be a dedicated Nintendo event/Direct.

That's exactly what I expect it to be. Both PS4 and Xbone had dedicated events.

None of which are huge games.
NX info is probably coming well before E3.

Oh, how I hope this is true. (seems like the consensus is E3 at the earliest, dammit). Given the Wii U...well...I have no logical explanation why I'm so excited for the NX... But there it is. I'm really looking forward to this thing.

Rodin

Oh, how I hope this is true. (seems like the consensus is E3 at the earliest, dammit). Given the Wii U...well...I have no logical explanation why I'm so excited for the NX... But there it is. I'm really looking forward to this thing.

Uh no, the consensus is that E3 would be already late for a wide variety of reasons. Personally, i think february is the best month to announce it. Look at what Sony was able to achieve in terms of hype and media coverage, timing was perfect.

E3 comes quickly, take its just January but months of nothing will do damage I could see Nintendo holding out until May. Thats usually when Nintendo likes to talk about anything regarding the future

Pinky

Banned
C'mon, Nintendo. It's time to pull back the curtain and talk. Let your ninjas rest. They've done an amazing job.

They will not talk about NX until E3, it would be too distracting for them when they still have their last few Wii U and 3DS titles to promote in the firs half of 2016.
Gotta agree with this. Even if their stocks kept falling to the point where they were forced to announce something, you'd think they'd announce phone games instead.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Why is every time Nintendo does something it's somehow related to the NX?

Holy shit, Reggie just ripped a fart, must be NX related.

DieH@rd

Banned
There is no need for a booth for a [probably underpowered] handheld with no release date that will be pushed mostly by 1st party software and Japanese devs.

Why is every time Nintendo does something it's somehow related to the NX?

Holy shit, Reggie just ripped a fart, must be NX related.
Perhaps the NX utilizes cloud-based computing, but in a particularly unappealing way? Reggie can't say so officially for obvious reasons, so he hinted at it in this way.

maxcriden

I don't see how Nintendo can slap together an entirely new console on a moment's notice. I doubt they were ready for the WiiU to bomb so hard. Give it another couple years

They've already been at it for a couple years at least. R&D starts as soon as one console is released, and even earlier in this case with the fact that handheld development would have started after 3DS released and this is looking more and more like a unified family of systems.

Keep in mind, the 360 was announced in May 2005 and released later that November. Anything is possible.
Not to mention Microsoft also had the XBONE reveal in May (and got released in the same year).

Exactly. Not to mention the PS4's short window of reveal to release, and not to mention PS4 and XB1 both waiting till E3 to show off games.

I am not sure about this, they only have ~20 weeks left and there is nothing between now and then so it would have to be a dedicated Nintendo event/Direct.

As said above, no reason to think Nintendo can't or won't still make this announcement. The Q3 earnings haven't even been released yet so it's probably a bit early to make this announcement, not to mention the factor mentioned above in regards to Nintendo wanting a bit more time still to focus on promoting their upcoming releases for Wii U and 3DS. Look no further for proof than Pokkén releasing in March, when all signs pointed to it being a May title. IMO this is just further evidence that they will have a stronger focus on NX when May rolls around and want to give Pokkén and TPHD as big of a push as possible. (I'm sure they know SF0 even if it is delayed from April till summer won't be a big seller regardless, and I'm also operating on the assumption that Zelda will be cross-platform.

Uh no, the consensus is that E3 would be already late for a wide variety of reasons. Personally, i think february is the best month to announce it. Look at what Sony was able to achieve in terms of hype and media coverage, timing was perfect.

Don't hold your breath for Feb. The last rumors seemed to indicate Feb.-Apr. concept reveal and E3 mega-game reveal and in Feb. two big Wii U games won't be out yet...it also just seems less likely they'll be able to keep hupe going as strongly from Feb. to June (mainstream hype I mean) with no games revealed yet as easily as from April to June.
There is no need for a booth for a [probably underpowered] handheld with no release date that will be pushed mostly by 1st party software and Japanese devs.

No need for FUD in here. We have no indication of power, form factor (it is likely a handheld and a console), whether release date will be this year or not, and who will develop for it (other than a couple reliable rumors that at least one team at at least one big Western dev doesn't have a dev kit yet, or at least didn't recently, but if anyone is banking on the NX receiving a ton of significant Western support from the word go, I think they may be disappointed--I don't think it's the most realistic expectation at least from what we can ascertain in viewing the current market).

Perhaps the NX utilizes cloud-based computing, but in a particularly unappealing way? Reggie can't say so officially for obvious reasons, so he hinted at it in this way.

Hahaha. 😆

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
This sounds bad. Same old late, secretive, Kyoto-centric Nintendo.
If they want developers on board, maybe it will be an actual good idea to show them that new, additional thing they will have to work with in their everyday work.

While they will have VR devkits to try and even already started looking at the SDKs and get support for it thanks to several big ass booths, Nintendo remain nowhere to be seen - and no, "behind closed doors" is not how the world works now. This ain't the 90's anymore where unprecedented partnerships with big 3rd party publishers was the most important thing. Let alone big japanese 3rd party publishers.

It doesn't mean doomed, but this doesn't sound like any improvement/change is made.

I'm pretty sure almost every consoles (lol Saturn) gets shown to third party developers under heavy NDA before the public even gets a whiff of things. Games don't get developed <1 year after all, plus there are already devkits floating about.

As said above, no reason to think Nintendo can't or won't still make this announcement. The Q3 earnings haven't even been released yet so it's probably a bit early to make this announcement, not to mention the factor mentioned above in regards to Nintendo wanting a bit more time still to focus on promoting their upcoming releases for Wii U and 3DS. Look no further for proof than Pokkén releasing in March, when all signs pointed to it being a May title. IMO this is just further evidence that they will have a stronger focus on NX when May rolls around and want to give Pokkén and TPHD as big of a push as possible. (I'm sure they know SF0 even if it is delayed from April till summer won't be a big seller regardless, and I'm also operating on the assumption that Zelda will be cross-platform.

Although it's currently slated for April (I think), I'd wager that Nintendo is going to push Star Fox Zero as their May Wii U game this year. Occupying that slot that MK8 and Splatoon held in prior years. My reasoning? It's a, publically, Miyamoto-backed title and thus will get the prime slot with the prime marketing effort.

maxcriden

I'm pretty sure almost every consoles (lol Saturn) gets shown to third party developers under heavy NDA before the public even gets a whiff of things. Games don't get developed <1 year after all, plus there are already devkits floating about.

I agree with you. But FWIW I think Jackano might be concerned based on the rumor I mentioned in my above post.

Although it's currently slated for April (I think), I'd wager that Nintendo is going to push Star Fox Zero as their May Wii U game this year. Occupying that slot that MK8 and Splatoon held in prior years. My reasoning? It's a, publically, Miyamoto-backed title and thus will get the prime slot with the prime marketing effort.

I think it might. Yes. I think you could be right. But the game doesn't have the pizzazz, freshness or appeal of Splatoon or MK8. That's unlikely to change so I hate to say this but I hope Nintendo doesn't spend too much marketing money on what I believe to be a thoughtful remake of a niche game.

Papacheeks

Banned
Relative to what? What is this meaningless sentence.

GDC is held in San Francisco. ANd usually is a collection of western developer's indie, AAA, and such.

Which is his whole point. Hence his remark about first party, and Japanese developers for Nintendo. They are mostly Japanese run in their software development for first party and third party. And since it's unreleased it would be hard to gauge in who is would be attracted to develop on a unknown.

Which is the whole point of GDC.

Vena

GDC is held in San Francisco. ANd usually is a collection of western developer's indie, AAA, and such.

Which is his whole point. Hence his remark about first party, and Japanese developers for Nintendo. They are mostly Japanese run in their software development for first party and third party. And since it's unreleased it would be hard to gauge in who is would be attracted to develop on a unknown.

Which is the whole point of GDC.

What are you talking about? My statement was about his comment about the hardware.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Via GameXplain & GoNintendo--

http://gonintendo.com/stories/250421-nintendo-hosting-rpg-showcase-today

Nintendo is hosting a press event for RPGs today. GN speculates this is about 3rd party games like FF Explorers. I doubt this is relevant to NX, but I thought y'all might be interested and I wasn't sure where to post it.

https://twitter.com/GameXplain

GameXplain is doing a live tweet of the event.

Serious question: could this be a press event done to coincede with an incoming Direct?

EDIT: Considering some of GameXplain's tweets, if there's no press release happening soon, I'll start thinking there's a Direct coming soon, after all.

The Wii U is dying in 2015 and people expect the NX far into 2017? They are crazy if they do this.

Yup. Except for Star Fox, which doesn't seem all that exciting at all sadly, Pokken Tournament and Shin Megami....there's is not a whole lot in terms of exclusives left for Wii U. Surely it can't only be Zelda as big late 2016 game.

maxcriden

https://twitter.com/GameXplain

GameXplain is doing a live tweet of the event.

Serious question: could this be a press event done to coincede with an incoming Direct?

EDIT: Considering some of GameXplain's tweets, if there's no press release happening soon, I'll start thinking there's a Direct coming soon, after all.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking if they were allowed to live-tweet the event this is specifically stuff that (a) will be in a press release and (b) won't be in the surely upcoming Direct...though...the TPHD info being divulged via Twitter (at least in Japan) is giving me a bit of pause as to whether a Direct is truly coming....

Yup. Except for Star Fox, which doesn't seem all that exciting at all sadly, Pokken Tournament and Shin Megami....there's is not a whole lot in terms of exclusives left for Wii U. Surely it can't only be Zelda as big late 2016 game.

It can if we get NX. But yeah, otherwise it seems pretty rough.

Wii's 2011 says hi.

I see your point, and Nintendo does have a history of droughts at the end of their consoles...but...I'm hoping they've taken notice that (a) fans seen to have a lot less patience for that nowadays and (b) if NX doesn't come out this year that will create an anti-hype cycle that Nintendo doesn't need...if they only release a couple Wii U games in the Fall most people won't care even if NX is coming and if they (let's say Pikmin 4 and Zelda U) are both cross-platform.

I'm thinking of NX moreso as a handheld shot in the arm. Nintendo is going to fight for handhelds way harder and faster than console, and if anything is due for a replacement, it's the (n)3DS. That thing is ancient.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking if they were allowed to live-tweet the event this is specifically stuff that (a) will be in a press release and (b) won't be in the surely upcoming Direct...though...the TPHD info being divulged via Twitter (at least in Japan) is giving me a bit of pause as to whether a Direct is truly coming....

IIRC, they made a Twitter account for Triforce Heroes too. And, just like TPHD, Mario&Luigi was featured in Famitsu well before a Direct. Actually, I want to see when the Famitsu's info about TPHD will be announced for the West or on Nintendo's website: in M&L's case, despite infos on the game getting published on Famitsu, I think the website didn't get major updates until later and, above all, no news over here (in Europe, the game came out one day later than Japan in the end) or trailers before the Direct, not even in Japan, despite the imminent release.

But, yeah, surprised to see GameXplain, ProJared and others being free to tweet details about the presentation, especially announcements.

EDIT: Oh, well, here's the PR after all

Nintendo Provides New Details about Upcoming RPGs for Nintendo 3DS

REDMOND, Wash.&#8211;(BUSINESS WIRE)&#8211;Nintendo provided new details about several of its upcoming role-playing games for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. This included the announcement of a special Fire Emblem Fates Edition New Nintendo 3DS XL system launching Feb. 19 and the reveal of a Collector&#8217;s Edition for Bravely Second: End Layer, which includes the upcoming sequel to the acclaimed Bravely Default game that launches on April 15.

&#8220;Fans of role-playing games have just received a boost to their excitement stat,&#8221; said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America&#8217;s Executive Vice President of Sales & Marketing. &#8220;Nintendo platforms have always been home to high-quality RPGs, and with even more games launching in 2016, this trend is set to continue in a big way.&#8221;

The Fire Emblem Fates Edition New Nintendo 3DS XL system (game sold separately) launches on Feb. 19 at a suggested retail price of $199.99 and features gorgeous art inspired by the game on the front of the hardware. Players can choose to purchase one of two versions when the Fire Emblem Fates games launch on Feb. 19 at a suggested retail price of $39.99 each. In Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, players battle a corrupted king. And in Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest, a misguided kingdom must be changed from within. Each path is a complete story and a complete game. Playing both will show players two different sides of one brutal conflict. After completing Chapter 6, players will have the option to download the other version of the game and experience a new adventure for only $19.99. In addition, a third story, Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation, which finds the game&#8217;s main character choosing neither the &#8220;Conquest&#8221; nor &#8220;Birthright&#8221; path in the story, launches as DLC on March 10 for $19.99 for players that already own the &#8220;Conquest&#8221; or &#8220;Birthright&#8221; version of the game. A special edition will also be available that includes all three games on a single game card, an artbook and a Nintendo 3DS XL pouch at a suggested retail price of $79.99. When the game launches, further downloadable content in the form of new maps will also be released on a regular basis, with the first map launching on Feb. 19. Players can choose to buy each of these maps individually, or purchase Map Pack 1 for $17.99 to get access to them all at a discount once they are released. For more information about Fire Emblem Fates, visit http://fireemblemfates.nintendo.com/.

When Bravely Second: End Layer launches exclusively for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems on April 15, a Collector&#8217;s Edition will also launch alongside it at a suggested retail price of $69.99. The Collector&#8217;s Edition includes the massive game, a 10-song original soundtrack and gorgeous 250-page deluxe art book. A demo version of the game, Bravely Second: End Layer &#8211; The Ballad of the Three Cavaliers, will launch in the Nintendo eShop prior to the full game&#8217;s launch. This demo includes a unique story different than the one found in Bravely Second: End Layer, as well as new jobs and areas to explore. StreetPass tags and bonuses from the demo will also carry over to the main game.

In addition to Fire Emblem Fates and Bravely Second: End Layer, role-playing fans are in for an absolute treat in the first part of the year, as a wide variety of RPGs will soon launch for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. These games include FINAL FANTASY Fantasy Explorers from Square Enix on Jan. 26, Project X Zone 2 from Bandai Namco Entertainment America, Inc. on Feb. 16 and the original Pokémon games (Pokémon Red Version, Pokémon Blue Version, as well as Pokémon Yellow Version: Special Pikachu Edition) in the Nintendo eShop on Feb. 27. Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past will launch this summer, with Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King launching later this year.

I see your point, and Nintendo does have a history of droughts at the end of their consoles...but...I'm hoping they've taken notice that (a) fans seen to have a lot less patience for that nowadays and (b) if NX doesn't come out this year that will create an anti-hype cycle that Nintendo doesn't need...if they only release a couple Wii U games in the Fall most people won't care even if NX is coming and if they (let's say Pikmin 4 and Zelda U) are both cross-platform.

Which is why it seems like that the NX is coming this year. Nintendos focus has almost entirely switched to the NX and rightly so. They need to make it a success and having a successful launch without the terrible software droughts is crucial to that.

M3d10n

Nintendo had a GDC booth in 2015? I was there and don't remember seeing it. I only remember their business meetings rooms in the North wing and a stand with a couple of Nintendo employees at the Unity booth, both of them focused on promoting Wii U Unity for indies.

anothertech

First off, don't expect new announcements for WiiU. That is just setting us up for disappointment. If it comes, it's icing.

Next, check your expectations. They've said they aren't competing with ps4 in terms of power. And good they aren't. How is the handheld supposed to be priced reasonably if it has to play ps4 games?

ThAt said, it will undoubtedly be above WiiU specs. So beyond 360/PS3 as well. I'm very curious as to how they will handle the handheld portion price wise, as it was such an issue with the Vita.

I'm almost leaning towards the handheld portion being software based as an app to be used with current mobile devices. As in handheld NX is just an app that connects you Nintendo acct to your iPhone/android phone or tablet.

I feel like all the big players will eventually end up there in some form.

Jackano

I'm almost leaning towards the handheld portion being software based as an app to be used with current mobile devices. As in handheld NX is just an app that connects you Nintendo acct to your iPhone/android phone or tablet.

Hey that's an idea I like here. It may be the missing point in what we don't understand ATM.

So basically this means the gamepad is becoming the handheld. This could explain why the SKU have both the home console and the handheld (which really is only a new gamepad, streaming the game processed on the home console - under the assumption with that word we got where the devskits have both).

And when you're on the go, you use your handheld/gamepad with a supplemental device. Here, your smartphone/tablet under open platforms (iOS and/or Android) is streaming the game, instead of your actual home NX.
Probably will sound crazy to some but I think we're up on something here.

Papacheeks

Banned
What are you talking about? My statement was about his comment about the hardware.

DieHard said this: "

You said this: "
Relative to what? What is this meaningless sentence.

If you can't fathom who/what GDC is for, and who mostly attends then it's you who has written a meaningless sentence and has no understanding of these events that are important for developer's and publisher's.

Nintendo not having a booth was explained why by DIEHARD, and that is mainly because of the audience at GDC are mostly western developers.

I have been to GDC twice, and I can understand who attends. Even capcom shows up, but it's mainly their western/ UK studios. When i visited there was someone showing off Bionic commando AAA game, and showing their engine it ran on.

I not once saw Nintendo have a presence there. And that is because of the reasons explained by DIEHARD which totally went over your head.

It is you who has no clue.

Top Bottom