• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No feathers in Jurassic Park 4 sparks debate and protest

Status
Not open for further replies.

MYE

I would go on a murder rampage if they added feathers on T-Rex.
Velociraptors looked cool in JP3 but dont fuck with the Rex design

jurassic-park-1.png

This is Hollywood T-Rex®. Respect it!!!

For the last goddamn time: Jurassic Park dinosaurs aren't real dinosaurs. They were genetically reconstructed from amber extracted DNA fragments spliced with a variety of current species. They even had version numbers like software, each update bringing them closer to man's preconception of what a dinosaur looked and acted like. Henry Wu even advocated for a new series of dinosaurs that were slow and sluggish to match the current stereotype of the time.

To force the current crop of dinosaurs on either island to suddenly evolve feathers after only a generation or two (depending on when JP4 takes place) is simply absurd. They weren't designed to have them, and not enough time has passed for them to evolve.

nanomachines.

The JP sequels have mostly just embraced the monster movie aspects of the first film. This one is clearly going the same route. So much for bringing the wonder back like the first hour of JP1 has.

Yup. A lot of Jurassic Parks success was the fact that it wowed audiences with not only amazing special effects, but 'real' Dinosaurs. They weren't giant tail dragging reptiles. It was something new, spectacular and amazing.

JP4 had the opportunity to do this again and show audiences something they haven't seen before. Become more than just another sequel. Give the franchise fresh life, and audiences a new world for their imaginations.

People use that frog DNA thing like it solves all problems. The frog DNA was a plot device to allow the dinosaurs to breed in a single sex environment. You might as well use that to make the dinosaurs croak like frogs, jump like frogs, and act like frogs.

Yup. Last I checked the Dinosaurs in JP do not have frog skin, nor any other characteristics.

Aren't velociraptors supposed to be only two feet tall too?

Yes, but Utahraptors are roughly JP sized.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
First scientists kill Pluto then they stick feathers on dinosaurs. Thank god somebody's standing up to them. Featherless dinos 4 life.

If they just establish that they lack them because of the cloning process, then the movie is not doing paleontology a disservice.

Seriously, feathered dinosaurs look so much less ferocious.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
They're not real dinosaurs, they've been created, manipulated and possibly modified by scientists. Any excuses is good for these 21st century dinosaurs to not have feathers.

Asimov

Banned
"Well maybe dinosaurs have more in common with present-day birds than reptiles. Look at the public bone... it's turned backwards, just like a bird. The vertebrae... full of hollows and air sacs, just like a bird. Even the word raptor means bird of prey."

- Dr. Alan Grant

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I don't know what kind of monster you'd have to be to fuck with the look of the JP dinosaurs. I know it's not accurate, I don't give a shit. I have no doubt a lot of what we still think we know about dinosaurs is inaccurate too. I just want the baddest-ass T-Rex in my cinema film.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
For the last goddamn time: Jurassic Park dinosaurs aren't real dinosaurs. They were genetically reconstructed from amber extracted DNA fragments spliced with a variety of current species. They even had version numbers like software, each update bringing them closer to man's preconception of what a dinosaur looked and acted like. Henry Wu even advocated for a new series of dinosaurs that were slow and sluggish to match the current stereotype of the time.

To force the current crop of dinosaurs on either island to suddenly evolve feathers after only a generation or two (depending on when JP4 takes place) is simply absurd. They weren't designed to have them, and not enough time has passed for them to evolve.

This is true within the fine details of JPs fiction. The bigger point is that it's a missed opportunity for updating the public because of the mindshare Jurassic Park has.

"It's just a movie" swings both ways - there's no reason why a simple explanation in the story can't be written that reveals another generation of dinosaurs is far more accurate than the previous generations.

Hell, a more creative script could even have the best of both worlds. "First gen" JP dinosaurs could exist alongside new gen with the story explicitly describing how the old style was inaccurate, and the new dinosaurs are that much closer to fact.

MYE

They're not real dinosaurs, they've been created, manipulated and possibly modified by scientists. Any excuses is good for these 21st century dinosaurs to not have feathers.

Didnt they use frog DNA to complete the broken Dino sequence and start breeding them?
There you go science, these are 100% lizard Dinos.

Monocle

The pro-feathers arguments in the OP make sense. Jurassic Park 4 represents an uncommon opportunity to promote science through entertainment and to generate conversations about the process of scientific discovery. Calls for no feathers are shortsighted at best. The public is already severely under-informed about evolution. To reject reality in a film so well suited for popularizing a more accurate vision of dinosaurs is just plain antiscientific.

To be realistic I couldn't care less lol. I used to be obsessed with dinosaurs when I was young, wanted to be a paleontologist so bad.

Anyone got any links to studies about feathers on dinosaurs? I find it difficult to believe that you can tell a 65 million year old skeleton had feathers. Hell, I don't even know how you can tell a chicken had feathers just from its skeleton.
The process of carbonization preserves fine detail in fossils. Imprints are another way to observe organic structures that have deteriorated.

zLwdWuA.jpg
jfq5VX6.jpg

qgU23nP.jpg

Google "fossilized feathers" for an abundance of articles about this.

jett

D-Member
Honestly, I would've liked to see a realistic-as-possible CGI representation of feathered dinos. We're making due with decidedly average drawings.
This director is clearly an ambitionless twat.

catabarez

It's like we had the same childhood!

Yeah is the whole "dinosaurs have feathers" one of those things that can be reversed in the future? Or downgraded to "well, we don't know which ones had feathers or not"?

We don't know if all dinosaurs had feathers. We do know that there were T-rex like dinosaurs covered in feathers. Raptors also had feathers and they are believed to be related to birds.

DanteFox

"Well maybe dinosaurs have more in common with present-day birds than reptiles. Look at the public bone... it's turned backwards, just like a bird. The vertebrae... full of hollows and air sacs, just like a bird. Even the word raptor means bird of prey."

- Dr. Alan Grant
Pfft.

That doesn't sound very scary. More like a six-foot turkey.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
No feathers is fine with me.

A six foot turkey just isn't scary, cmon people!

Speak for yourself, if 6ft Turkeys ran around generally eating people and other animals I would be scared of them, lol.

The Frog DNA caused the dinosaurs to not grow feathers.

Boom.

Yea, it would be great if they had feathers but they can just throw in some line about their pseudoscience and how it didn't give them proper feathers.

Plus, without feathers we cannot have critters such as the Microraptor. What is a Microraptor? It was essentially a miniature Velociraptor that could not only walk, run and hunt...it could fucking fly/glide. On top of that, its arms weren't the only wings it had, its fucking legs served as wings. A fucking flying Velociraptor with 4 fucking wings. Beat that.

Seriously, how fucking cool is that? You thought Compies were scary? Well these fuckers are raptors and can fly.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I want feathers so I can drink the tears of anguish from people stuck in the past.

They had feathers, deal with it.

They look like garbage with feathers. Also be massively jarring from one JP to the next to just plop them in.

Such an pointless dust up. It was bad enough when suddenly all dinos had their tails jutting straight out behind them. That killed my interest back in 3rd grade.

Zeliard

I don't know about ya'll, but if I'm being chased by violent, often-gigantic carnivores, I don't know that them being covered in feathers or not makes me feel any better about the situation. They're still going to tear your ass apart in brutal fashion.

Give us the feathered dinos. They're far closer to reality while still being entertainingly surreal.

Exactly. I don't see how people can feel so strongly against feathers in dinosaurs. It's like being mad the Earth is round.

Meh, it's not so much an issue about dinosaurs as it is about protecting our childhood memories of Jurassic Park; we grew up with scales rather than feathers; we want giant reptiles/lizards, not giant birds with claws

Monocle

Plus, without feathers we cannot have critters such as the Microraptor. What is a Microraptor? It was essentially a miniature Velociraptor that could not only walk, run and hunt...it could fucking fly/glide. On top of that, its arms weren't the only wings it had, its fucking legs served as wings. A fucking flying Velociraptor with 4 fucking wings. Beat that.

Seriously, how fucking cool is that? You thought Compies were scary? Well these fuckers are raptors and can fly.
Can you even imagine a pack of these fuckers descending on your face in a vortex of feathers and talons? That would be a cooler scene than anything in the first three JP films. See how many people would still be whining about feathered dinosaurs after getting an eyeful of that.

can't wait for the meltdowns when godzilla returns all feathered up.
Moar like a feather boa, amirite? He'll be so faaaaaaaaaabulous. Would watch twice.

If someone made a fictional movie where the Earth was flat would you be angry?

If it served no purpose I might.

I have no problem with stuff being fictional, but using a bit of the knowledge we have wouldn't hurt. Plus they seriously look fucking cool with feathers, the old ones look kind of flat in comparison.

You people and your "bleh my childhood" sobbing baby tears are worse than the old folks who grew up believing dinosaurs were slow cold-blooded lizards. At least they didn't throw temper tantrums when Jurassic Park 1 moved things forward.

Firehead

Feathered dinosaurs are the one aspect of scientific discovery that GAF just can't handle mentally.

It's both fascinating and sad. It's like watching old people discuss their dislike for technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom