• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No feathers in Jurassic Park 4 sparks debate and protest

Status
Not open for further replies.

joetachi

Why not have Abraham Lincoln hunt vampires? It's a fictional world, that they created. Their in-universe rules apply until they say they dont. I really cant be arsed about people using fucking Jurassic Park as an educational tool, thats inane beyond measure.
well i do enjoy it when people say they want to be willingfully ignorant.

fireside

At least Carnotaurus was definitely featherless - they found impressions of bumps on its skin.

Carnotaurus.jpg

Dawwww, look at the cute cat ears.

Monocle

No, no you are not. This is not a documentary. You are trying to furry up fictional representations of Dinosaurs. You are furries if the other side are dragon pervs.
Well let's weigh the two sides. On one hand you have #teamfeathers, who think that in addition to being awesome, feathered dinos in JP4 could give a real boost to science education, possibly shifting the tide of public opinion enough to increase science funding, improve school curricula, and make evolution more palatable to people on the fence.

On the other hand you have #teamnaked, who say "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Scales are just so much cooler than feathers! Suck it science, leave my dinosaurs alone!"

Hmm.

I dont even understand why scientific accuracy is so important to some fans of this franchise.

Ya'll do realize that actual velociraptors were like 3 feet tall, right?

And Dilophosaurus was 8-foot tall and didn't spit/have the frill.

And was the T-Rex's visual acuity really based on movement? Doubt that too!

Jurassic Park never ever ever was scientifically accurate.

It was way more accurate than previous dinosaur films.

Dilophosaurus's frill and poison were called out in the book as having no fossil evidence in our times, but something that couldn't have been figured out from fossilized bones that old.

Velociraptor was large because Crichton was going by a short-lived current theory by an actual paleontologist that Velociraptor and Deinonychus (which is that large) were the same species (hence why Grant is digging up a Deinonychus-sized Velociraptor in North America where Deinonychus specimens are found).

Crichton dropped vision-based movement in the second book and called out why it was ridiculous (and it was called out in the third movie) and only added it in the first because it's an aspect of some reptiles and because he thought it would be neat.

None of these directly contradicted current knowledge as Crichton knew it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You know by this metric the feathered side are furries right?
Do you not understand the difference between a bird and a mammal? Do you not know what a feather is?

Micheal Crichton would have wanted sequels to his works to stay true to scientific discovery.
Crichton is a medical doctor, not a scientist, and it shows more the further he strays from medicine in his books. Timeline's science, for instance, was crap, and State of Fear was far worse.

pants

well i do enjoy it when people say they want to be willingfully ignorant.

Well let's weigh the two sides. On one hand you have #teamfeathers, who think that in addition to being awesome, feathered dinos in JP4 could give a real boost to science education, possibly shifting the tide of public opinion enough to increase science funding and improve school curricula, in addition to making evolution more palatable to people on the fence.

On the other hand you have #teamnaked, who say "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Scales are just so much cooler than feathers! Suck it science, leave my dinosaurs alone!"

Hmm.
Your complaints are irrelevant in a fictional world.

Do you not understand the difference between a bird and a mammal? Do you not know what a feather is?
I did not mean to anger the furries, please dont hurt me :(

Protein

Banned
You people and your "bleh my childhood" sobbing baby tears are worse than the old folks who grew up believing dinosaurs were slow cold-blooded lizards. At least they didn't throw temper tantrums when Jurassic Park 1 moved things forward.
Because JP1 dinos were universally fucking cool.

I don't know mayne, if one day T-Rex was discovered to have squawked like a parrot with hard, scientific evidence backing it then I'd rather it stick to Hollywood's unrealistic rendition of it sounding like a muthafocking freight train mixed with a lion-bear for entertainment's sake. Im sure feathers could work without looking silly on some dinosaurs, but not Rex.

Feathers on Rex, might as well have him wear a fedora.

The depictions of dinos in the original WERE NOT SCIENTIFICALLY ACCURATE, PEOPLE.

I really hate seeing this being bandied about as some end to the argument.

The depiction of the dinosaurs in JP were, overall, incredibly accurate. Details about individual dinosaurs were changed or misunderstood--Dilophosaur venom, T-Rex vision, raptor size (and intelligence)--but the dinosaur design and physiology has a strong basis in reality and, for the time, studies/archaeology.

Ragnarok

It was way more accurate than previous dinosaur films.

Dilophosaurus's frill and poison were called out in the book as having no fossil evidence in our times, but something that couldn't have been figured out from fossilized bones that old.

Velociraptor was large because Crichton was going by a short-lived current theory by an actual paleontologist that Velociraptor and Deinonychus (which is that large) were the same species (hence why Grant is digging up a Deinonychus-sized Velociraptor in North America where Deinonychus specimens are found).

Crichton dropped vision-based movement in the second book and called out why it was ridiculous (and it was called out in the third movie) and only added it in the first because it's an aspect of some reptiles and because he thought it would be neat.

None of these directly contradicted current knowledge as Crichton knew it.

Making stuff up just because it would be cool and wasn't out of the THEORETICAL realm of possibility, doesn't mean it doesn't contradict science. Taking artistic liberties has always been a part of Jurassic Park and to totally change the design of iconic creatures to make it scientifically accurate is silly.

I'll take a giant eagle over a giant... salamander?... any day. And in an attempt to make it cooler for team no-feathers, I'd still take a giant chicken over a giant Komodo dragon any day.

DL4LQtg.jpg

VS

FM3ccYF.jpg

Hightower

Banned
I hope you science people go camp out in front of The Hobbit in protest of its use of magic and fictional creatures.

I agree... Seriously people.. arguing for FIVE PLUS PAGES about feathers on a movie dinosaur. Come the fuck on. There's bigger issues in the world.

Crichton is a medical doctor, not a scientist, and it shows more the further he strays from medicine in his books. Timeline's science, for instance, was crap, and State of Fear was far worse.

Hahahahah. No comment on the post, just wanted to share a laugh at that book.

I'll take a giant eagle over a giant... salamander?... any day. And in an attempt to make it cooler for team no-feathers, I'd still take a giant chicken over a giant Komodo dragon any day.

A salamander isn't a reptile. You gots to go!

Boooo. Especially for a series that has tried to be as scientifically accurate as possible (besides the velociraptor size), this is really disappointing.

Having feathers on the dinosaurs would be nice, but it would kind of disrupts the canon of the franchise. In the novel there's a scene where Doctor Wu and Hammond are discussing the "authenticity" of the dinosaurs; Wu wanted to genetically engineer the dinosaurs to make them more exciting to customers, but Hammond wanted the Dinosaurs to be as genuine as possible.

Let's look at the movies themselves though. What we know from the story is that they cloned the dinosaurs from preserved DNA samples found in amber, but since most of the gene sequences were incomplete they had to fill in the missing sections with amphibian/frog DNA. Now I'm not a scientist, so I'm going to guess that some of those missing sequences could have contained the genes for feathers, or it could also be possible that the feather gene was "turned off" (for lack of a better term) during the cloning process.

It's also worth noting that In Jurassic Park 3, Grant calls the dinosaurs on Jurassic Park "theme park monsters" and that real dinosaurs only existed millions of years ago, alluding to the idea that the JP dinosaurs are in fact not genuine at all. I know JP3 was a crappy movie, but it's still considered canon.

From a scientific standpoint it would be nice to have the feathered dinosaurs, but should the canon be risked for that? I'd love to know what Michael Crichton would have to say about this if he was still alive.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Renagade: That's probably the best way to treat it, but just like in Dr. Grant's hearing people don't always want to know how real dinosaurs were.

3) Stop looking at summer blockbusters as educational tools
You clearly aren't getting those tools elsewhere.

Having feathers on the dinosaurs would be nice, but it would kind of disrupts the canon of the franchise. In the novel there's a scene where Doctor Wu and Hammond are discussing the "authenticity" of the dinosaurs; Wu wanted to genetically engineer the dinosaurs to make them more exciting to customers, but Hammond wanted the Dinosaurs to be as genuine as possible.

Let's look at the movies themselves though. What we know from the story is that they cloned the dinosaurs from preserved DNA samples found in amber, but since most of the gene sequences were incomplete they had to fill in the missing sections with amphibian/frog DNA. Now I'm not a scientist, so I'm going to guess that some of those missing sequences could have contained the genes for feathers, or it could also be possible that the feather gene was "turned off" (for lack of a better term) during the cloning process.

It's also worth noting that In Jurassic Park 3, Grant calls the dinosaurs on Jurassic Park "theme park monsters" and that real dinosaurs only existed millions of years ago, alluding to the idea that the JP dinosaurs are in fact not genuine at all. I know JP3 was a crappy movie, but it's still considered canon.

From a scientific standpoint it would be nice to have the feathered dinosaurs, but should the canon be risked for that? I'd love to know what Michael Crichton would have to say about this if he was still alive.

gI6b7xf.jpg

A large amount of people find feather dinosaurs lame, why is that so hard for people to grasp. It's not like people are denying that certain dino's had feathers, it's just that we vastly prefer the classic version even if it's inaccurate. It's a movie not a science museum.

Entertainment has no responsibility toward educating the masses.

This is, technically, true. But wouldn't it be great if the filmmakers felt some sense of responsibility towards known science?

A large amount of people find feather dinosaurs lame, why is that so hard for people to grasp. It's not like people are denying that certain dino's had feathers, it's just that we vastly prefer the classic version even if it's inaccurate. It's a movie not a science museum.

Jurassic Park educated the masses once before:

zZPxYWD.jpg

Dragoshi1

The movie wouldn't be the same if the Dinosaurs were fully feathered.

The Dinosaurs are fine the way they are, especially the Rex and its brethren, the Velociraptors in each movie are great too, from the Tiger striped ones in JP2 to the lightly feathered ones in JP3.

He better not cave to people complaining, it's like taking Godzilla and having him covered in fur for the next Godzilla movie.

pants

You clearly aren't getting those tools elsewhere.

Personal insults over dinosaur feathers? At this point I know I have won whatever back and forth I could potentially have had with you :lol

Also I wanted to ask if furry is a bad term, I don't know much about that world, if it is I apologize

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom