• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Gears of War for Germany!!!1111

I don't want to nitpick either, but in fact you can't be sure about that. In the current situation GoW just won't be officially released in Germany, but there is still a not-too-small possibility that the BPjM will ban the game, even without an official release.

Ogni-XR21

elostyle said:
Yeah but that is just the station's policy, isn't it?

Yeah, I was just browsing that site a bit, and found out that the station cut Naruto, even though the uncut version got a 6yrs+ from the USK. You can also see some of the stuff that was cut in Naruto for the US (a lot of blood removed).

And it seems that a lot of the stuff cut in DBZ was actually cut by the french station that converted NTSC to PAL.

Yeah, it's unlikely, but then again still possible. That happened to Manhunt and there was a request to ban DR, too. (not sure what happened/will happen to DR though)

Ogni-XR21

Frankfurter said:
Highly unlikely imo. Why should they?

If, for example,a social worker files a complaint to the BPJS they still have to act, even if the game is not officially available in germany.

Edit: I think DR is already indexed, not sure though.

ram

Campster said:
I'm genuinely curious, and don't know any German citizens to ask: What is their stance on other mediums? Do they do similar stuff for film and/or books?

yes, but not exactlx the same way. to get movies, music or books on the "index", it has to be some real nazi shit, ultra brutal gore things or something to do with unethical sex and what not.

but you can easily get games on the index, if they feature blood, headhots...

and yes, swastikas in games = bad, but swastikas in movies = good. sad but true.

hadareud

The Translator
The thing that really annoys me are that films are cut on german television, even scenes that are not overly violent are cut out even if they are important to the story sometimes.

Well actually, it doesn't piss me off anymore. Because I do not watch german television anymore and even if I was - I wouldn't watch any movies that are dubbed, it is just horrible to watch. Dubbing is a bad bad thing about Germany as well btw.

Mr Wispy

Log4Girlz said:
Put some swastikas on those marines and voila, instant German release.

Haha.

Wow, I didn't realise Germany were so strict with censorship. It's like a school playground or something and the headteacher banning yo-yo's or trading cards.
What losers.

Jonnyram

Someone mentions swastikas and 50 people jump on him saying he should be banned.
WTF is wrong with you guys? Never heard of satire?

Ogni-XR21 said:
If, for example,a social worker files a complaint to the BPJS they still have to act, even if the game is not officially available in germany.

Edit: I think DR is already indexed, not sure though.

It wasn't about indexing the game, but about banning it (Slaughter King mentioned that this is possible). Of course anything is possible, but it is highly unlikely that a game like GoW gets banned.

Mr Wispy said:
Wow, I didn't realise Germany were so strict with censorship. It's like a school playground or something and the headteacher banning yo-yo's or trading cards.
What losers.

... since when is it censorship when Microsoft decides to not release GoW in Germany?

Ogni-XR21

eso76 said:
it's funny, given the stuff they consider edible.

Please elaborate! I know there is some gross stuff, but I don't think we are worse than the french :D (snails or frogs anyone)

Frankfurter said:
It wasn't about indexing the game, but about banning it (Slaughter King mentioned that this is possible). Of course anything is possible, but it is highly unlikely that a game like GoW gets banned.

Maybe I got something wrong, but indexed/banned is the same to me - maybe we are just reding aneinander vorbei...

Bundeprüfstelle said:
If the board, with a majority of 2/3 of the members, decides that the object has a content dangerous for young people ("jugendgefährdend"), it enters its name into the "list of youth-endangering media" ("Liste jugendgefährdender Medien"), generally referred to as the "index". Distributors of that medium are then no longer permitted to sell, rent out or even present this object in public or to broadcast it.

Frankfurter said:

We have no idea whats going on in that game. Its said that MS went multiple times to the USK and every time they refused a rating. There might be some sick shit in GoW.
But actually...eh...I agree. I bet GoW won't get even close to a ban. I just wanted to nitpick after all. :D

Banning != indexing, indeed.

// Ein indiziertes Spiel darf nicht beworben, aber an volljährige Personen verkauft werden. Der Handel mit einem verbotenen Spiel ist dagegen in dem jedem Fall rechtswidrig. //

painful fart said:
Nothing wrong with Boob-Television, many of those boobs have a far higher IQ than the participators in those bloody Reality-Soaps.

Those boobs have a higher IQ than the boobs who ban boobs on American TV.

Superfrog

Hope dies last for Germany...

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4102&Itemid=2

Glimmer of Hope for German Gears?

Although the bloody action game Gears of War ran into trouble with Germany’s rating board, a Microsoft rep told Next-Gen that the company is still in talks with the board regarding the game's release.

“A final decision has not been made regarding distribution of Gears of War in Germany,” a spokesperson said. “Microsoft is continuing to work very closely with all of our German partners, including the USK [the German rating board], to determine the best approach for the market and the title. We have no additional comment at this time.”

An announcement earlier this month from Microsoft Germany indicated that the company would forego publishing Gears of War at all in the country after the USK refused to grant the game a rating because of its gory and violent content. A non-rating from the USK doesn’t equal an outright ban, but it does significantly limit sales, as unrated games aren’t displayed on store shelves, advertised or sent through the mail. The measures are taken in order to keep questionable games out of the hands of minors.

Germany’s USK has become known for taking a hard stance against certain content. In July, the organization refused to give Capcom’s Xbox 360 game Dead Rising a rating because of its blood and gore.

Gears of War is set to launch in North America and Europe next month.

Top Bottom