• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man’s Sky |OT| Next!

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Expensive is an understatement. First one will cost you 50K, the second 150K were as a general slot starts at 5K. unless you're rolling in cash, far better to do the drop pod thing for sure, as the repair costs on those is the same regardless from what I can tell.

Yep.

I just saw someone on Reddit still asking for more storage space. What the hell are these people doing?

Exosuit:

Normal: 48 slots (250 per slot)
Cargo: 48 slots (500 per slot)
tech: 14 slots (1 per slot)

Freighter:

Up to 48 slots (1000 per slot)

Ships:

6 ship, each with 48 slots (500 per slot)

Base Storage:

10 storage units, all with 5 slots (1000 per slot)

Vehicles

Can't remember the number for each but there are 3 and each has slots.

If that isn't enough storage space, you're seriously hording.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Hey, that 2000 units of rusted metal I have in my exo-suit will have its payday in future patches I'm sure.

Oh ... you're one of 'them' are you. I saw a guy on Youtube once giving people a tour of his freighter. He had 5 Haulers, all stripped to the bone and every single one of them was filled with stuff. The stupid thing was, all of it was only things you grow or gather to sell. Weird.

iconmaster

Banned
Edit: I’m seeing others reporting the same issue. Storage container #1 is just not available to be built, even if you haven’t built it.

Last edited:

Tarkus98

Damn, the sentinels have become brutal. Harder to kill, they swarm and don’t let up. I had those fuckers following me off planet, through space and onto another planet.
I mean they rarely followed me before but they were so much easier to take down. I used to mow through even those big robot things ( not the dogs, the next level ones), now I have trouble killing three or four regular ones at a time. Guess I have to really need beef up my multi tool. Damn...

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Oh ... you're one of 'them' are you. I saw a guy on Youtube once giving people a tour of his freighter. He had 5 Haulers, all stripped to the bone and every single one of them was filled with stuff. The stupid thing was, all of it was only things you grow or gather to sell. Weird.

God no. I refine everything into something useful, and if it ain't useful I just trash it.

down 2 orth

Ten minutes into my first go at Next and I'm stuck in a neverending dogfight. I really don't like dogfights in this game. In fact I think they're annoying as fuck, but now you can't even avoid them by entering a planet's atmosphere. Devs should have just trashed that part of the game instead of just doubling down on an attempt at fast paced action.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Ten minutes into my first go at Next and I'm stuck in a neverending dogfight. I really don't like dogfights in this game. In fact I think they're annoying as fuck, but now you can't even avoid them by entering a planet's atmosphere. Devs should have just trashed that part of the game instead of just doubling down on an attempt at fast paced action.

I'm assuming you're speaking of the sentinels. If so, yes, they've ruined them. There used to be a timer on them. giving you a window of opportunity to stop and fight or flee. Why they didn't just tinker around with the timer instead is beyond me. Of course this 'shoot and you'll regret it' approach also applies to space. I really detest what they've done with the sentinels. It smacks of pandering to the pew-pew crowd.

I'm about to start this game up.

I like exploring and discovering things, but I also enjoy building a base and having a space shootout here and there. What game mode do people recommend?

iconmaster

Banned
I like exploring and discovering things, but I also enjoy building a base and having a space shootout here and there. What game mode do people recommend?

Probably just Normal. Creative wouldn't require any shootouts and the harder modes are likely to be a bit much for a new player.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm about to start this game up.

Probably creative then so you’re not spending a ton of time shooting rocks with lasers to gather materials to do all the building.

I’m on normal and kind of wishing I’d gone with creative as all the gathering to craft things and keep your beams and ship fueled gets tedious , but I don’t want to restart after 12ish hours.

Edit: I take that back after reading the info linked to below. I wasn’t aware the story content isn’t available in creative, so glad I chose normal after all. I’ll stick with that and maybe go creative if I want to keep exploring later on after finishing the story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Umm I started a game. I start mining salt and then my robot starts shooting at me.

So I restart since I wanted to change some graphic settings anyways.

Land on a planet, start mining and my robot starts shooting at me again.

wtf

Grinchy

Banned
Umm I started a game. I start mining salt and then my robot starts shooting at me.

So I restart since I wanted to change some graphic settings anyways.

Land on a planet, start mining and my robot starts shooting at me again.

wtf
haha the Sentinels aren't "your robot" if that's what you're talking about. Those are like a planet's police force. Different planets have different levels of aggression from the sentinels.

If they're more aggressive, they'll come after you for mining and killing animals.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Grr. Another PS4 Crash so 1.52 didn’t solve it totally.

Edit: up to a total of 6 crashes today. Having fun otherwise. Story progress-wise I finish some of the base building stuff and then went through my first portal. Got a crash and taking a break for dinner. May play more later.

Yah this planet has really aggressive sentinels. I learned to just get away from them to mine. Rather counter intuitive though for a starting out setup. Game tells you to mine and then game kills you for it.

Last edited:
Got my mining units up at my Coyote Hills outpost:

Enjoyed a couple [unintentional] space walks on the side of my frigates, too...

Ending up tracking down my favorite 1.3 S Class Hauler spec and buy more of them (two C and two B Classes) for storage since 1.5 ruined my fuel tank haulers.

And, finally, I abandoned my legacy pre-tech slots pre-1.3 fighter... 1.5 changed it a little anyhow (small side wing fins were removed) and despite loving the large inventory, it is stuck as a B Class...

And I came across this brand new S Class (not even a wealth star system) on my new Activated Indium mining planet -- and I just had to grab it.

Found the perfect place for new activated stellar metal base I think (two timestamps hidden below)
timestamp 1

timestamp 2

Ended up building the mine into the mountainside -- Fort Huntusk.

Plan is construct mining adits that go under the ore deposits so I can mine them from both aboveground and underground.

Why limit yourself to just the surface area of the ore deposit when you could dig down and cover all its sides with AMUs haha.
timestamp 3

Automated Mining Units on the bottom side of the ore deposit that I reach via a mining adit.

The plan is to build an underground mining base that mines a regular stream of activated indium for my TY mining Corp. It refines into 4x as much Chromatic Metal, combined with the sulphurine or radon my atmosphere harvesters provide, may use it to refine + construct products, and sell those. Also, sold at market is about 1m units per stack freighter stack. Goal is to, relative to other income, to try make mining profitable and my mainstay TY Corp busywork.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Sadly I heard that on PC at least they've nerfed the artifact find cash value to an upper limit of 2 million now. Still not to be sniffed at as it is easy money.

Makariel

I started playing yesterday, was dumped onto a toxic planet and died within minutes, trying to repair my scanner. Dark Souls is more welcoming to new players.

Makariel

I didn't see a cave, there was just a hole in the ground, which I didn't see the floor of. Didn't feel like jumping into a dark hole on a toxic planet tbh. I eventually found my(?) ship on a plateau, repaired it while being attacked by those flying little eye-robots and flew to another planet without air, followed by one with scorching temperatures. Without some pointers from Kadayi Kadayi I'd probably died a few times more and left it.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Sadly I heard that on PC at least they've nerfed the artifact find cash value to an upper limit of 2 million now. Still not to be sniffed at as it is easy money.

I didn't see a cave, there was just a hole in the ground, which I didn't see the floor of. Didn't feel like jumping into a dark hole on a toxic planet tbh. I eventually found my(?) ship on a plateau, repaired it while being attacked by those flying little eye-robots and flew to another planet without air, followed by one with scorching temperatures. Without some pointers from Kadayi Kadayi I'd probably died a few times more and left it.

It could have been worse after all you did want to go with survival mode initially. Anyway the beginning used to be slightly easier in that you started at the actual crash site, so the new approach was a bit of a shock to the system for all of us. I think I died a couple of times on my initial start up in NEXT. As for toxic planets in truth they are the best start because you have to nut up and get you act together in short order. I think when the game originally launched I had the misfortune to start on a habitable planet and so was ill prepared for hostile environments.

Last edited:

Makariel

Arguably the survival mode would not have made much difference, since my first and so far only death was in less than 5 minutes.

Redshirt

Banned
Well, I started on Survival and think I got a really raw deal on my planet (or maybe I just sucked.) I was like gen 6 in the first 30 minutes.

But I've only died once since than, and that time the physics wonked out and threw me up into the sky.

Last edited:

Handy Fake

I think they've upped the difficulty at the start to get the player straight into the game mechanics. A bit of a baptism of fire.

iconmaster

Banned
I blew myself up trying to grenade a sentinel at close range, and damaged my grenade launcher. The components to repair it are things I can't craft yet.

Kinda funny.

Banned
I'm really upset with how badly optimized NEXT is for PCs. I have a 1440p monitor and even playing the game at high/medium settings on 1080p is giving me no more than 25-30FPS at a given time.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
At least I only got 2 crashes in several hours of playing yesterday, so,it seems to be improving some on PS4 Pro with each update. Still annoying and has me saving obsessively.

On a more positive note I got a nice S-class scanner upgrade for my multitool that has over 9,000% bonus to credits for scanning plants and animals. I was getting around 25k for plants and 50 to 75k for animals. So that’s a nice big bump in income stream and for an activity I enjoy (unlike farming valuable mats and crafting/selling). Finding the crates at ruins is nice too, though the most valuable item I’ve found so far was 500k vs the millions some are finding.

Story wise I’m making decent progress. It just drags at time as it’s essentially a 20+ hour tutorial so the pacing is shit since you get stuck doing base building a long while, then doing different guild missions for a while and so on. I’d have liked it more if it was more focused on exploration and moving toward the center still rather than staying in a few systems and engaging with all the game mechanics so much.

Redshirt

Banned
The tutorial aspect of the story bugs me too particularly when it's teaching me something I had to Google many gameplay hours ago.

I have been stuck inside a freighter for a day. It's got alarms going off and I can't leave in a ship. I let the game run for over an hour and the alarm never went away.

I also can't find a forum for the game that helps with issues, so if someone has a suggestion on where to find if there's a fix for this or whatever.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I have been stuck inside a freighter for a day. It's got alarms going off and I can't leave in a ship. I let the game run for over an hour and the alarm never went away.

I also can't find a forum for the game that helps with issues, so if someone has a suggestion on where to find if there's a fix for this or whatever.

Reload an earlier save.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Reload an earlier save.

If they've only been relying on autosave they may be screwed on that front as it would have autosaved when they got out of their ship on the freighter. It's pretty dumb that it just autosaves in one slot rather than rotating 3 as the game doesn't make it obvious how to manually save for a while (hell I don't think it ever pointed out the beacons around buildings and just teaches you when you get to the story bit and learn how to build a save point).

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
If they've only been relying on autosave they may be screwed on that front as it would have autosaved when they got out of their ship on the freighter. It's pretty dumb that it just autosaves in one slot rather than rotating 3 as the game doesn't make it obvious how to manually save for a while (hell I don't think it ever pointed out the beacons around buildings and just teaches you when you get to the story bit and learn how to build a save point).

It's an old problem that seems to have returned. At the moment, that's the only option but I'm sure it'll be sorted out at some point. I personally carry a save module around and save at every opportunity just in case. It's annoying.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Yeah I am autosaved on the freighter. My last manual save is from two days ago.

You can wait for a fix which could take a week or so or just reload that older save and become part of the 'real' NMS community! Before you do that though, try deleting the game, rebuilding the database and then reinstalling the game. It's worth a shot even though I don't think it's ever been done to sort this particular problem out.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I'm assuming you're speaking of the sentinels. If so, yes, they've ruined them. There used to be a timer on them. giving you a window of opportunity to stop and fight or flee. Why they didn't just tinker around with the timer instead is beyond me. Of course this 'shoot and you'll regret it' approach also applies to space. I really detest what they've done with the sentinels. It smacks of pandering to the pew-pew crowd.
There is still a timer on them. At least, there has been for me. Maybe at a certain threat level that changes, but I don't have that issue yet.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It's an old problem that seems to have returned. At the moment, that's the only option but I'm sure it'll be sorted out at some point. I personally carry a save module around and save at every opportunity just in case. It's annoying.

Oh I have as well, for the frequent PS4 Pro crashes more so than that issue. It just sucks people are getting stuck when they could have just had multiple autosave lots so people would have more options for going back when they hit glitches.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
There is still a timer on them. At least, there has been for me. Maybe at a certain threat level that changes, but I don't have that issue yet.

The timers have been removed. What you're talking about is the countdown to when other sentinels arrive. I'm talking about a timer that used to countdown to when the sentinels would actually 'call' for back up. It was a much better system and varied slightly from planet to planet. Graphically, it showed as pulsing rings emanating from the sentinels. This gave you a window of opportunity, so rather than just fighting and knowing you are just making matters worse, you could kill the two sentinels (at the time) as quickly as possible BEFORE the timer had completed and more were called.

What they should have done is what I suggested in a previous post because right now it's not worth the hassle. There is absolutely no reason to kill sentinels unless you just like to shoot stuff and want to show off your latest gun.

2: Reinstate the timers on the sentinels. I can only think of one reason they've done this, and that's the please the 'pew-pew' crowd. All they had to do is tweak the old system a little and they could have pleased both the explorers (which there are many and 'were' once the mainstay of the NMS community) and the battle orientated. It was ALWAYS the case that the timers varied and you'd sometimes have less or more time to deal with the sentinels before they called for back up. Now you don't really have an option unless you fancy killing every sentinel that comes your way. All you can do is run, which I see nearly everyone do on Youtube. Before this change, even explorers would take on a sentinel or two.

Adjust the sentinels and give them personalities, depending on the planet. Some could have 1 - 3 second timers, giving us the same result we're seeing now. Others could have 5 - 10 second timers, making it an urgent matter to kill them as soon as possible, while others could just be as they've always been. The change has removed that moment of panic you had when you wasn't sure you could deal with them fast enough. There's no point in killing them now.

Some examples of possible sentinel personalities. These (or whatever they decided to call them) could be information added to your scanners, giving us a very good reason to actually scan the sentinels:

Fickle: These sentinels vary in the time you get. It could be anywhere within a range of 1 - 20 seconds, depending on how they felt that day. That would add a moment of regret or relief once you see how fast the timer is moving.

Bully: These sentinels only ever give you 1 - 3 seconds before they call for back up. They're to be avoided at all cost unless you decide it's the day the worm turns.

Balanced: These sentinels give you between 10 - 20 seconds before calling calling for back up and are the pride of the Atlas.

Aggressive: These already exist, and I hate the little blighters.

Last edited:
titty fuckin christ

I reload the old save. I start progressing again. I stop at a space station to sell some stuff. Relearn the language I lost, etc.

I go to my ship to take off and continue the story.

beep

Press W.

beep

Use controller launch

beep

Can't leave the space station. No alert on space station. It just won't let me leave. No explanation. I have launch fuel.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
You might want to add this to the OT. These are ratios and what you get when you combine stuff in the medium or Large refinery. There are others such as 50 cobalt + 50 Plat + 50 ferrite dust = 1000 chromatic metal

8akSruc.jpg

Top Bottom