• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man’s Sky |OT| Next!

down 2 orth

I'm assuming you're speaking of the sentinels. If so, yes, they've ruined them. There used to be a timer on them. giving you a window of opportunity to stop and fight or flee. Why they didn't just tinker around with the timer instead is beyond me. Of course this 'shoot and you'll regret it' approach also applies to space. I really detest what they've done with the sentinels. It smacks of pandering to the pew-pew crowd.

It was in space, but yeah same thing applies. Did not notice anything with my breif encounter with sentinals other than they were a bit harder, but that's only because I dropped the game after my space encounter.

I might go back though - I had 50+ enjoyable hours pre-Next, so I figure its worth another chance. But by and large the strength of the game has been to chill and explore, not the fighting.

iconmaster

Banned
Had my first random drop-in companion tonight. Drove around in our roamers digging up buried tech. Cool experience to have but as soon as he was in my game I felt like I had to give up working on the base and show him a more interesting time. :LOL:

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
From Reddit:

RsxK6P9NO_6EaS3m5YD-1XDn0nmBzxCOHMjwjUVVpPU.jpg

Grinchy

Banned
There seems to be a great co-op farming bug. If we go to each other's bases and harvest a plant from a hydro tray, it lets us harvest it infinitely. I grabbed 2000 coprite and it would have let me go on forever. The frostwart did the same. And it worked for both of us.

So we're going to go through the awful farming quest line and only make one tray for each plant and then just grab infinite amounts of them.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Damn it. I ran into a bug where I can’t finish the storyline. Stuck on The Purge. You’re supposed to warp 16 times, but there’s a bug where the mission doesn’t trigger so warps aren’t getting counted and the anomaly station appears with the same call from Nada after every warp.

There are a ton of threads on the No Man’s Sky Reddit about it and I sent a report to Hello Games so hopefully they patch it soon. There’s a workaround on PC with a save editor, but no fix on consoles yet.

In any case, I’m pretty over the game so I’m done playing until that’s patched. Will finish up the story when/if that’s fixed and probably done after that.

Mochilador

The latest update on Xbox inserted a bug that may erase your save if you don't quit using the "quit to main menu" option.
Careful, guys.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Anyone know where the Xbox One patch notes are? It seems like the game has a new patch every day, but I have no idea what they are doing. Wish Xbox had patch notes like the PS4.

Redshirt

Banned
I feel like not being able to get your corpse in Survival is too severe a penalty due to how much grinding is involved on that mode.

I know save scumming is an option, but if I'm going to do that, I may as well just play on normal.

Recovered and rebuilt my old 'Mother' base...

Was unsure if it would even fully rebuilt it as before or just provide back resources, but it's really an exact copy/paste. Lost my 20 Automated Mining Units but that's my fault... They were literally feet from my base (lucked out on huge emeril deposits by my base) and I forgot that technically they were barely just outside the perimeter and thus obviously wouldn't be cached. Took a long time to craft 20 AMUs in 1.3 but luckily batteries and mining units both are much easier to construct now.

Not as perfectly located within feet of large resource deposits as its previous versions in 1.2 and 1.3 ...

It does have the one large activated emeril deposit at least, though it's about 50 meters away on that nearby mountainside.

But I'm actually just happy to have it back. I think I'll use this one and the extra to focus on my farming and atmosphere harvester to manufacture Fusion Ignitors.

My mining activities can stick to my smaller outposts that have the real dense ore deposits all in close proximity.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Damn it. I ran into a bug where I can’t finish the storyline. Stuck on The Purge. You’re supposed to warp 16 times, but there’s a bug where the mission doesn’t trigger so warps aren’t getting counted and the anomaly station appears with the same call from Nada after every warp.

There are a ton of threads on the No Man’s Sky Reddit about it and I sent a report to Hello Games so hopefully they patch it soon. There’s a workaround on PC with a save editor, but no fix on consoles yet.

In any case, I’m pretty over the game so I’m done playing until that’s patched. Will finish up the story when/if that’s fixed and probably done after that.

Yeah, that's where I'm stuck too.

Just picked up this game yesterday. I tried normal mode and honestly collecting s bunch of shit didn't seem very fun and couldn't figure out how to repair my ship. Does creative mode let you go and visit other peoples bases and cool stuff? That's really the thing I'm most interested in. How about the quest stuff? Is there a good guide for getting past the ship repair part?

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Just picked up this game yesterday. I tried normal mode and honestly collecting s bunch of shit didn't seem very fun and couldn't figure out how to repair my ship. Does creative mode let you go and visit other peoples bases and cool stuff? That's really the thing I'm most interested in. How about the quest stuff? Is there a good guide for getting past the ship repair part?

Just follow the instructions on the screen or read them in the guide.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I'd suggest giving normal mode another chance before jumping to creative. Go to the mission log and it will tell you exactly what you need to do. Most of the resources that are essential are easy to find. There is a much bigger payoff of discovering new worlds and things when you have earned it.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Anyone else had the Frigate repair bug?

Lots of people are reporting it on Reddit. I have to say, the current state of the game, with it's myriad of bugs, is unacceptable. As revitalised as the game appears, I think it's equally worthy of critique.

FranXico

I hit a bug where the Atlas Path quest points at an incorrect site and I can't progress any more :(.

Other than that, been having a lot of fun with NMS. Love the moment to moment gameplay loop, even if progress relies too much on grinding.
Still, it already is in some ways better than what was originally shown.

Snoopycat

Banned
I think my old save is screwed. I can't progress the scientist questline which I need for the living glass formula. I was in the middle of it before the update but everytime I go back to him nothing happens, except for the leave prompt. I tried relocating bases but nah, it's not happening. I'm going to be pissed if I got to start again cos that's a 40hr save, with my suit and ship all maxed out.

Kadayi

Banned
What is that bug? I already repaired two of my Frigates without any issue.

A lot of people myself included find that we can't fully repair Frigates. The repair icons don't all appear. Frankly I can't say I care for the whole runaround of having to personally have to go and wipe the arse of every Frigate in my fleet whenever they shit themselves. It likely seemed like a cool idea at the time at Hello Games but to me it feels like a pretty egregious and unnecessary low quality time sink and stuff like repairs should be managed from the Freighter command centre against the frigates profile as if it was a broken device.

Last edited:

Handy Fake

A lot of people myself included find that we can't fully repair Frigates. The repair icons don't all appear. Frankly I can't say I care for the whole runaround of having to personally have to go and wipe the arse of every Frigate in my fleet whenever they shit themselves. It likely seemed like a cool idea at the time at Hello Games but to me it feels like a pretty egregious and unnecessary low quality time sink and stuff like repairs should be managed from the Freighter command centre against the frigates profile as if it was a broken device.
Can't say for certain, but this happened to Gaming Mike on his stream and he just took off, flew about 'til he got the communication buzz again, relanded and reselected to highlight the parts.

Last edited:

FranXico

There actually is a very amusing Freighter related bug where your crew changes race according to which race dominates the system you just arrived to.
My Gek crew morphed into Vy'kkeen first time we warped to a new system LOL.

BrettWeir

Anyone have any issues with the Scientist quest? I am unable to locate a Korvax Convergence Cube. I've done what I've seen in every YT video, going to bases and checking each ship that comes into port, gone to planet trading posts and done the same in differing systems (to include all races). I've been doing this for about 5 hours now and can't seem to locate one. Frustrating.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Lots of people are reporting it on Reddit. I have to say, the current state of the game, with it's myriad of bugs, is unacceptable. As revitalised as the game appears, I think it's equally worthy of critique.

Yeah, it's pretty lame. Especially with the bug on The Purge quest that has seemingly everyone unable to finish the Atlas Rises story path now, other than PC gamers willing to do the save edit workaround to advance. It's a big game and a small team, I get that. This was also a free update that didn't need rushed out without making sure it didn't break shit first.

Anyone have any issues with the Scientist quest? I am unable to locate a Korvax Convergence Cube. I've done what I've seen in every YT video, going to bases and checking each ship that comes into port, gone to planet trading posts and done the same in differing systems (to include all races). I've been doing this for about 5 hours now and can't seem to locate one. Frustrating.

Those are just pretty rare in my experience. Seems like that's a quest step best to not focus on and just do other things and keep checking for the cubes when in Korvax systems and going back once you eventually get one.

iconmaster

Banned
There are definitely a lot of bugs. One really weird one was that after I built 4 storage containers in my base, any others I tried to build resulted in "invalid position" no matter where I placed them. I had to start a separate building to house them, as a workaround.

I'd suggest filing anything you find with Hello Games using their bug report form. They seem to be patching rapidly at least.

I am really enjoying the game and I wonder how different the experience is from the launch experience. There's certainly a lot to do in the game right now, even to the point where I can't focus in one direction. I feel like I should be farming to make money, but then I get sidetracked by quests.

BrettWeir

I am really enjoying the game and I wonder how different the experience is from the launch experience. There's certainly a lot to do in the game right now, even to the point where I can't focus in one direction. I feel like I should be farming to make money, but then I get sidetracked by quests.

It was terrible. It basically consisted of "get this amount of element and that element to get to the next system of higher ingredients. Rinse, repeat." That was all there was. This is the biggest turn around I can think of within gaming. It's amazing now.

bufkus

I honestly enjoyed even the very original incarnation of the game. Yeah it got boring fast, but it was a pretty amazing experience.

I love the new update, but still suffers from the same issue as the original, which is that there is no real endgame and once you get your fill, you're pretty much done. But that's not really a fault of the game, it's a fault of the genre it's in.

Vtecomega

Banned

NMS review from Skillup. Lengthy and perhaps negative but fair overall and really high-quality.

Cant stand this guy. Overly pretentious and his taste in games leave a lot to be desired. He is also way to hyperbolic when praising average games. Just check out this god of war review.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Many of the complaints the guy in the Skill Up review has are due to him not planning ahead. He's clearly one of those people who just shoot stuff for the sake of it and end up with little bits of everything in his inventory ... and then complain their inventory is full. He's also one of those players that needs a particular resource, flies down to a planet, grabs 'just enough' to complete the task and then flies back. Anyone who knows how to play NMS will mine MORE than they need and usually fill the 250 slot. Much of his frustration here is easily understood by just looking at his inventory slots. How about just mentioning you need to make sure you don't just grab everything and what you do grab, make sure you fill the slot up? Advice here would be more productive than basing a critique on a lesson clearly not learned.

'I played this game without thinking and that's why it irritated me.'

It's reviews like this that will eventually push Hello Games into changing the game in line with the 'pew-pew-hold my hand-I need something to do because I have no imagination' crowd. If anyone is going to kill NMS, it's people like this.

Redshirt

Banned
I don't think played it w/o thinking is a fair assessment.

I could already see a lot of his complaints coming to the forefront in my own experience.

Banned
I wish there was a pre-NEXT option to go back to, at least on ps4. These audio glitches are annoying the hell out of me.

iconmaster

Banned
I’ve been painstakingly recreating my circuit board factory following the Next update and I’m starting to realize larval cores are probably better bang for the buck.

Kadayi

Banned
Albeit I'm enjoying 1.5 and the new content I think that there are a lot of common complaints that come up with the game that Hello Games don't seem to have got a handle on and many of them are so basic I do kind of wonder if they even have any sort of QA/Beta protocol (and I'm not talking about the experimental version on Steam) to just get feedback. The biggest failure point that I feel undercuts everything is a lack of respect for players time.

From having to needlessly run around Frigates repairing them yourself through to in system planets often being a good couple of minutes flight apart through to the game directing you back to locations you've already been, or in game storms that last for several minutes and make exploration near impossible except underground.

On top of that you've an accepted missions list that not only doesn't tell you the particulars of the mission itself unless you exit the list, but also doesn't remind you what the rewards or who gave you the mission, let alone the ability to be able to set a system way point from that screen. Similarly in the discoveries screen there's no prompt to indicate that you have outstanding missions at a location.

Redshirt

Banned
Albeit I'm enjoying 1.5 and the new content I think that there are a lot of common complaints that come up with the game that Hello Games don't seem to have got a handle on and many of them are so basic I do kind of wonder if they even have any sort of QA/Beta protocol (and I'm not talking about the experimental version on Steam) to just get feedback. The biggest failure point that I feel undercuts everything is a lack of respect for players time.

From having to needlessly run around Frigates repairing them yourself through to in system planets often being a good couple of minutes flight apart through to the game directing you back to locations you've already been, or in game storms that last for several minutes and make exploration near impossible except underground.

On top of that you've an accepted missions list that not only doesn't tell you the particulars of the mission itself unless you exit the list, but also doesn't remind you what the rewards or who gave you the mission, let alone the ability to be able to set a system way point from that screen. Similarly in the discoveries screen there's no prompt to indicate that you have outstanding missions at a location.

I agree. Wasted time is the biggest issue. I think this was the point Skillup got at as well.

I have an immense amount of respect and am even in awe at times at what Hello Games has achieved.

Some of the moments I've experienced have been amazing.

But these moments are strung together with tedium when you'd rather be exploring or whatever.

b0uncyfr0

I would probably enjoy it more if it didn't crash every 5 minutes randomly to desktop. I have literally no idea where to start troubleshooting. None of my other games do this either.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Got any patch notes? At work, can't access most gaming stuff.

Bug fixes:

• Fix for crash while reloading mission markers from save
  • Fix for issue where invalid characters could be inserted into a save, causing it to fail to load
  • Switched to using lockless small block allocator for physics to reduce memory footprint
  • Fix for occasional crash when looking up data about substances in UI pages

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Damn. So no fix for the purge bug yet. Smh.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

I definitely agree with this. As I said before, there really needs to be some option in between Creative Mode and Normal. Creative is too simple with everything being free, but Normal just wastes so much of my time. I don't really mind looking for and gathering things to craft gear upgrades as that's meaningful rewards and encourages exploration. I also don't mind the survival stuff with some planets being shitty and putting you in some predicaments sometimes if you need to find a safe place to get what you need.

What I hate is having to craft launch fuel and having to shoot asteroids to refill the pulse jets (I don't mind the warp cells as that encourages exploration before jumping systems). I especially hate having to refill the mining laser and terrain manipulator. I'm already shooting rocks/minerals with lasers (which can be slow and boring), don't make me go shoot other rocks and plants with lasers so I can refill said laser and go back to shooting the other rocks/minerals with lasers! That's just adding tedious busy work that wastes my time and adds far too much repetition to the shooting rocks with lasers gameplay loop.

That said, I'm also perfectly fine just accepting this game/genre aren't for me and staying away in the future. I just want them to fix the damn Purge quest bug so I can finish that story path and move on as that was the reason I came back--well that and wanting to play in third person--after having not touched it since the first couple of weeks around launch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom