• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man’s Sky |OT| Next!

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
My base is coming along nicely and that view ...

30105734058_423aae7463_o.png

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
That last update (1.55) did indeed fix the bug with The Purge quest line. I jumped once and it had sorted itself with the right dialogue with Polo in the anomaly. Also lucked into that system having an awesome paradise planet that I explored for a couple hours while mining all the stuff I needed for 16 warp cells to make the 16 jumps needed to finish that quest line and get to the final portal. That planet being so pretty and full of cool stuff took some of the sting out of having wasted ten or so warp cells before realizing the quest was bugged a couple weeks ago.

I choose tranquil for my new galaxy option as if I get back to playing again down the road I want a chill experience with more lush planets etc. I spent sometime getting most things on my ship, suit and multitool fixed other than a few minor upgrades that needed rarer mats so I’m in a good spot to jump back in if I get the itch. I also realized I’d been ignoring the suit upgrades other than the regular slots (have the max 48 there) as I didn’t realize there were other tabs for cargo and tech) util last night.

iconmaster

Banned
Hello Games decided to tinker with the jetpack dash — don’t know why, it was just great before.

It now launches you more vertically than horizontally, but to get the old behavior just point the camer at your feet before launching. (You’re going to be starting at the ground a lot after this update.)

Please consider taking the time to explain to Hello Games why the 1.54 jetpack dash was superior: https://hellogames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=167605

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Hello Games decided to tinker with the jetpack dash — don’t know why, it was just great before.

It now launches you more vertically than horizontally, but to get the old behavior just point the camer at your feet before launching. (You’re going to be starting at the ground a lot after this update.)

Please consider taking the time to explain to Hello Games why the 1.54 jetpack dash was superior: https://hellogames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=167605

It was ruined after this update anyway. It just hasn't got the same instantaneous kick. Clearly they had to accommodate it with an animation in 3rd person, which leads to a stickiness just before you propel forward.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
It's the oddest thing ... I built that base before I explored the planet I'm on. I thought I'd surprise myself and take a wonder into that earlier horizon. Well, I eventually took a little look around my planet and came upon this. Notice anything familiar?

43981152621_e7aaeb70e5_b.jpg
It looks like one of those spaceports that the game sometimes spawns (unless I'm missing a smaller detail).

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Look at the colours and then look at the colours I chose for my base ...
Ahh, now I see. That's pretty sweet! I haven't messed around with the base tools since they were originally implemented. I want to get my bearings amidst all the new mechanics before I jump into base-building. It's cool to see what's possible.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Ahh, now I see. That's pretty sweet! I haven't messed around with the base tools since they were originally implemented. I want to get my bearings amidst all the new mechanics before I jump into base-building. It's cool to see what's possible.

The thing is though, there isn't anything predominantly black and yellow about the planet, so what is it that subliminally planted in my head the exact same colour scheme they used for the station? Even the Gek there were wearing yellow and black.

GrinWithoutaKat

Neo Member
For experienced base-builders... can the landing pad be placed on anything other than the ground? I've tried building them on the paving tiles, tried sticking one on a flat room etc and none of it seems to work. I'm quite happy with how my base looks, but the landing pad just doesn't look part of it at all. I've seen a lot of people that build their base around an existing trading post to make the most of the nice flat landing pads.

20180811011809_1.jpg

20180811011119_1.jpg

20180811011056_1.jpg

This is my base so far. I have plans to expand. I like the posts that Gribble has. How long did it take to unlock that? I plan on putting in a teleporter to the other side of the island where I am going to build a bridge to another island. I need to unlock a landing pad, too.

Redshirt

Banned
Awesome bases!

Is there a reason you guys build so much with the wood rather than the more sci-fi-y pieces?

Just curious if it's personal preference, or there's a reason beyond that.

Kadayi

Banned
Find a moderate planet and just run around looking for salvage blueprints. I spent a couple of hours doing that yesterday (whilst also looking for all 15 creatures) and get words and I managed to unlock all of the building components, which means now I can sell any salvage blueprints I find for decent cash (50k IIRC) The other nice thing about them is that they stack more datapads.

Also, it seems to be my experience that the last elusive creature on high fauna planets is always some cave-dwelling squibbly (generally the one with loads of legs) that you absolutely need to shoot in the face so you can scan it.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
On the other hand, the pre-fab modules snap together real nice.

You can force a certain amount of compatibility but I really find it odd that they didn't consider the older building material when making the new. Why not be able to use the metal stanchions with the wood/concrete/metal? Why not make the cuboid rooms 'snap' automatically into place with the wooden flooring? Why can't I place a storage unit on the wooden bases? Why can't I use the stanchions with the landing pads for Christ sake. They look stupid just hanging there. They've even removed the compatibility with cuboid rooms, which is really frustrating because I'd assumed (baring in mind the sizes matched) they where introduced for these very reasons. This incompatibility needs to be addressed if we are going to create more personalised bases. It forces us all the make similar choices instead of thinking outside the box.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Well ... I'm not happy. I've finally completed the structure of my base and only added a few lights. I haven't even started decorating it yet and it's crashing every single time I try to use photo mode. I've had to stand back to get this shoddy pic. My next video (that I have now promised to my subs) was meant to be a stroll around my 'completed' base but it looks like I'm going to have to hold off on that at the moment. This isn't once in a while, this is 'every single time'. 20,000 pieces? Not ever close.

43941220452_69b3006958_o.png

Got my first Exotic. I ran across some very early in the game, but this is the first I've found while trying to acquire one. I didn't pay anything for it due to finding a A class tier 2 Hauler crash, getting it flying and using it as trade-in. The exotic is only 15-4 slots though, so its rather cramped.

20180813105050_1.jpg

20180813114920_1.jpg

iconmaster

Banned
This game is so fascinating but the bugs are so maddening.

---

I pick up a mission that involved repairing some equipment at a building. I follow the waypoint to the building (same system) and learn that it requires some materials, most of which I'm able to source locally until I hit copper. The planet features activated copper but not plain ol' copper. (Really, it has to be regular copper?) So I fly off to another planet in the same system to gather copper. I get enough and head back to space.

The waypoint is gone. Not only that, when I return to the mission board to see if I can reactivate the waypoint, that mission is nowhere to be seen.

---

Meanwhile, terrain has started regenerating in my base. It's not an underground base exactly, but as I've expanded some parts have ended up built into a hill. Those rooms are now full of terrain blocking me from accessing any equipment/crops unless I clip through the terrain by walking into it from the rear. I can't use the terrain manipulator to clear any of this out, because tools aren't available while inside your base.

(Edit: terrain regen at least seems to have sorted itself on relaunch.)

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

---

I pick up a mission that involved repairing some equipment at a building. I follow the waypoint to the building (same system) and learn that it requires some materials, most of which I'm able to source locally until I hit copper. The planet features activated copper but not plain ol' copper. (Really, it has to be regular copper?) So I fly off to another planet in the same system to gather copper. I get enough and head back to space.

The waypoint is gone. Not only that, when I return to the mission board to see if I can reactivate the waypoint, that mission is nowhere to be seen.

---

Meanwhile, terrain has started regenerating in my base. It's not an underground base exactly, but as I've expanded some parts have ended up built into a hill. Those rooms are now full of terrain blocking me from accessing any equipment/crops unless I clip through the terrain by walking into it from the rear. I can't use the terrain manipulator to clear any of this out, because tools aren't available while inside your base.

This is why I decided to build my next base 'around' the terrain instead of within it. I took hours with my first base only to find it buried hours later. Here's my current base, although I'm now not sure about that tower and it's causing crashes regularly:

43972121032_743276b5bb_o.png

Tarkus98

Some more pics of my base:

42212275880_4c2000a4c6_o.png

42212275430_26fe8c6eee_o.png

43115201835_1a870a42f8_o.png

43115201275_b389c916e8_o.png
What’s inside the top part of the tower? Is it functional or merely decorative? Just curious because I think the tower looks awesome and fits in really well with everything would be a plus if you are using it for a signal booster or something.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
What’s inside the top part of the tower? Is it functional or merely decorative? Just curious because I think the tower looks awesome and fits in really well with everything would be a plus if you are using it for a signal booster or something.

Oooo ... I like the idea of using it for a signal booster! It's basically just my lookout and works as an early warning system for if any of those pesky humans decide to pass by. I've got my gazebo in the front, my little work shed up the first set of stairs, my living quarters up the second set of stairs and my lookout tower.

Edit: I forgot to hide the menu on the pic of me waving. That annoys me ...

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
e's no listing of the actual reward

Agreed. I find it super compelling, but I feel I'm constantly at war with the UI and the systems to get everything to work. I've submitted something like 30+ bug/suggestion reports over the last few days because there's just so much room for improvement.

There's a real lack of inter-connectivity in the UI especially, which can be super frustrating. Albeit I play on the PC I use a controller because I like to lean back versus lean in with games (I spend enough time leaning in at work) so it may well be with M&K these things are less egregious.

• The missions page (under logs) should tell you who the missions for, the particulars of the mission and the actual rewards, plus quick links to waypoint the system you need to go to and where to return for the reward.

• Whenever you enter a system you should be able to quickly see any missions that relate to that system. Maybe a toggle off the D-pad selections so you can move between them in terms of making one active without having to leave the game space proper.

• The discoveries section needs a major overhaul. I think systems should be collapsible and also it should show you blanks for any unvisited planets/moons in a system. Also, you should be able to see the system information and have links back to any missions within it.

• Right now the weird list system they have is crazy navigating with the D-pad. You can end up in the situation where the system is on a different screen from the planets

• The mining in the game needs to be smart enough to recognise that if you've say carbon in a cargo slot to add any mined carbon into that over a general slot (until it is full). The amount false 'inventory full' being generated by something that just requires an 'if this then that' approach to sorting stuff is mindboggling. I honestly don't know how it is that no one at Hello has already thought about this.

• I'd like to be able to see the galactic map outside of being on my ship in space so I can at least plot out a route or place a waypoint or some such

• Sort out the Atlas passes, so V2 supercedes V1 and V3 supercedes V2. It's daft as a brush to have to carry all three around.

• Give us the ability to move upgrades around

• Completely rework the repair frigate aspect. Either have it be something you can manage from the Capital ship control centre and have the consequence be that a ship is out of commision for X hours and it cost you a bunch of resources/money, or dramatically reduce the number of nodes that need fixing on a ship. No joke I had four ships come back with about 5 nodes of damage each (and they weren't supposed to be tough missions) that's a good half an hour of fucking about climbing ladders I'll never get back.

There's a bunch more, but it's late

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
The mining in the game needs to be smart enough to recognise that if you've say carbon in a cargo slot to add any mined carbon into that over a general slot (until it is full). The amount false 'inventory full' being generated by something that just requires an 'if this then that' approach to sorting stuff is mindboggling. I honestly don't know how it is that no one at Hello has already thought about this.

I haven’t tested this thoroughly but I believe this at least does work. If you see the red inventory full icon on screen but one of those slots is not full up of its element, you can continue to mine and collect that element.

Not 100% sure but I haven’t been burned by operating under that understanding so far.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
For me, it just needs some extra stuff for completionists and explorers:

1: Add two new categories to the discovery page: Mineral and Flora. These would give you a bonus for finding all of them on a planet in the same way finding all the animals does. If you get all three, then you get a further bonus.

2: A recipe list. This would begin simply as a list of question marks and fill as you discover more recipes.

3: 4 new milestones added. One would be for the recipe list and go up every 10% until you reach 100%. The reason I'd go for percentages here is to enable them to add recipes without changing the milestone progress. It would just mean those new recipes would have to be added to what represents 10%. If you've already completed it then it wouldn't matter, just like any other milestone. Two other milestones would be in connection with the minerals and flora and work exactly as the animal milestone does. The fourth would be for photo mode. Each would have a different task: 'Take 10 pics of animals of a certain height', 'take 15 pictures of S-class ships'. 'take 20 pictures of abandoned buildings.'

For me, those would add more reasons to explore and really examine the planets and content of NMS.

Last edited:
I really dislike the Warp menu. I don't understand why it's not just a cursor system. I'm always wrestling with the controls to get the solar system I want.

Kadayi

Banned
I haven’t tested this thoroughly but I believe this at least does work. If you see the red inventory full icon on screen but one of those slots is not full up of its element, you can continue to mine and collect that element.

Not 100% sure but I haven’t been burned by operating under that understanding so far.

I think you misunderstood what I'm on about.

I don't store my mined elements in the Exo-suit general inventory. I store them in the Exo-Suit Cargo slots because they have double the capacity. However by default whenever you mine the game will put any mined elements into the general slots until those are full. It's only after that that it will place elements/items in the cargo slots. The game needs to be smart enough to go 'OK Kad is presently mining carbon, he has 3 clear general slots available, however, he also has 200 Carbon in a Cargo slot, so I'll add any new carbon to that first until it hits capacity (500 Carbon), and only then put any extra into the General slots'

1: Add two new categories to the discovery page: Mineral and Flora. These would give you a bonus for finding all of them on a planet in the same way finding all the animals does. If you get all three, then you get a further bonus.

I don't know. The animal hunting can be pretty exhaustive and push the fun/frustration needle a bit too much because you can only really see animals on foot, especially on the abundant worlds. Adding in even more boxes to tick is just a good way to stop people like myself from ever getting off planets tbh. IIRC back at the original launch, there was a requirement to have flora and at least 6 locations marked and I think it took me a good couple of days before I even left my starting planet because there were so many things to find. No one needs more of that in their lives.

2: A recipe list. This would begin simply as a list of question marks and fill as you discover more recipes.

I can get behind that

FranXico

Does anyone know if there is a way to move the base computer inside the base? It's kind of annoying, having to build stuff around it.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Does anyone know if there is a way to move the base computer inside the base? It's kind of annoying, having to build stuff around it.

Once it's placed down, it's permanent. I can understand why they'd do this. When you consider that bases can be much bigger and that two bases can be placed next to each other, it would be problematic for the base computer, with it's set radius, to be movable, because the base computer represents the very centre of that radius. If you could move it then you'd have to move that radius, which could mess up your build and any other bases you have adjacent to it. It's unfortunate but understandable.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
I think you misunderstood what I'm on about.

I don't store my mined elements in the Exo-suit general inventory. I store them in the Exo-Suit Cargo slots because they have double the capacity. However by default whenever you mine the game will put any mined elements into the general slots until those are full. It's only after that that it will place elements/items in the cargo slots.

Gotcha. I keep forgetting to use my capacity slots.

---

The other really bad bug I forgot to mention... I can't craft frigate fuel at all. I've built the fleet command console multiple times; I even upgraded to a different freighter and built one there. Still no recipe for it. So fleet missions are simply a chunk of the game I'm unable to experience.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I still can't send anything to my ship over long distances, even though I've installed the very tech that's supposed to allow for this. Has anyone else been able to send stuff to their ships over long distances?

edit:

No Mans Sky 1.56 Patch Notes for PS4 (Updated)
  • Fixed an animation issue.
  • Added the base archive quest for old saves with No Man’s Sky 1.56 update.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented pre-NEXT saves from accessing the Base Computer Archive missions
  • No Mans Sky patch 1.56 addressed an issue where some non-existent base parts were showing in the Guide
  • Addressed a bug that made melee boost jumping overly hard to do.
  • Texture quality and streaming improved with No Mans Sky version 1.56.
  • Made further adjustments to the farming timers with No Mans Sky version 1.56. Note: plant timers have been on real-world rather than in-game time since the launch of NEXT, and these adjustments are in response to that.
  • Added fixes for crashing issues.
  • No Mans Sky 1.56 update added fixes for stuttering and lag issues.
  • Various performance and stability improvements.
No Mans Sky update 1.56 is now available for download o

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Adjustments to farming timers, cool. Will have to see if melee jumping is better or not (do not understand why they tinkered with it in 1.55 at all).

Nothing about frigate fuel though.

It's weird: people are saying the base restoration quest is how you get access to NEXT blueprints you don't have on a converted save. But I definitely have at least one of those mentioned -- the large refiner. Wondering if I need to try to run this quest or not.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Adjustments to farming timers, cool. Will have to see if melee jumping is better or not (do not understand why they tinkered with it in 1.55 at all).

Nothing about frigate fuel though.

It's weird: people are saying the base restoration quest is how you get access to NEXT blueprints you don't have on a converted save. But I definitely have at least one of those mentioned -- the large refiner. Wondering if I need to try to run this quest or not.

It will never be as satisfying as it once was. They have to incorporate an animation into it now so there's always going to be that slight delay. Underwater has suffered because of the third person view too. Because they have a swimming animation, you can no longer get decent momentum in first person by running along the ocean floor. Underwater exploration is much much worse now and not even worth the hassle. I only jump in the water because you can no longer find underwater creatures from the shore. Third person has also ruined much of the traversal. Walking up steep slopes is no longer possible, another thing they had to change to compensate for having animations.

It should have stayed 1st person. But ... the complainers got there way. Who would have guessed.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I still can't send anything to my ship over long distances, even though I've installed the very tech that's supposed to allow for this. Has anyone else been able to send stuff to their ships over long distances?

edit:

No Mans Sky 1.56 Patch Notes for PS4 (Updated)
  • Fixed an animation issue.
  • Added the base archive quest for old saves with No Man’s Sky 1.56 update.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented pre-NEXT saves from accessing the Base Computer Archive missions
  • No Mans Sky patch 1.56 addressed an issue where some non-existent base parts were showing in the Guide
  • Addressed a bug that made melee boost jumping overly hard to do.
  • Texture quality and streaming improved with No Mans Sky version 1.56.
  • Made further adjustments to the farming timers with No Mans Sky version 1.56. Note: plant timers have been on real-world rather than in-game time since the launch of NEXT, and these adjustments are in response to that.
  • Added fixes for crashing issues.
  • No Mans Sky 1.56 update added fixes for stuttering and lag issues.
  • Various performance and stability improvements.
No Mans Sky update 1.56 is now available for download o

Very frequent updates, good job HG :)!

iconmaster

Banned
I still can't send anything to my ship over long distances, even though I've installed the very tech that's supposed to allow for this.

The thing with that tech is that visually the "teleport stuff to ship" effect is very, very similar to the "ship out of range" effect on the inventory screen. It's a blue shimmer instead of green and the text is different. Confused me for a while.

Kadayi

Banned

The teleport gives you about 350 Au of range from what I can tell. Without it, you pretty much need to be stood next to your ship to do inventory management effectively. Personally, I'd like them to up the range to something like 1000 Au,.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
You know, I think I might be done with this game. I'm just leaving planets immediately that have the giant stuff on them because I know they're not wpo
The teleport gives you about 350 Au of range from what I can tell. Without it, you pretty much need to be stood next to your ship to do inventory management effectively. Personally, I'd like them to up the range to something like 1000 Au,.

It used to be unlimited range. You could even fix your ship from a distance too.

Liljagare

Starting to feel better, after 15 hours I flew to the moon of the planet I am residing at, turns out it has Solar plats and grativon balls all over, all of a sudden, MONEYZ!

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Starting to feel better, after 15 hours I flew to the moon of the planet I am residing at, turns out it has Solar plats and grativon balls all over, all of a sudden, MONEYZ!

You should have your terrain manipulator by now. If you want to make good money early on, just spend some time digging up treasure. I spent an hour yesterday on one planet and made 6m + 2m for scanning creatures and plants (with S-class scanner upgrades of course).

Last edited:
Top Bottom