• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Expeditions Update

There's a bit of jank here and there, but overall it's a great experience, scale is very good, everything looks big enough I'd say.
Great!!
Is there any way to disable creatures? Thats my real problem with this game as they not only spawns randomly but stupid enough to destroy immersion. Also they sounds meh.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Oh man this game makes my pro sound even more like a dying industrial vacuum cleaner from the late seventies, haha

Great!!
Is there any way to disable creatures? Thats my real problem with this game as they not only spawns randomly but stupid enough to destroy immersion. Also they sounds meh.
I don't know if you can disable them through the game itself, but there are mods out there that change the universe to something more like our universe: an emtpy, lifeless void. xD

Multiplayer focused?
I’m a 450+ hour forever alone NMS gamer with all social settings disabled. Is there anything new for me here?
You'll be able to play this on your new vr headset if you use virtual desktop or the link cable.

When I get around to finally playing this, it'll be using my rift for sure.

Ovech-King

Gold Member
Lol the rewards ... Still pointless incentive . This game has the same issue since the beginning ; it's getting fluffier , not deeper . The lack of end game and reason to grind towards goals is still dragging it down . I played well over 200 hours , over 3 years but this is facts

scalman

all update in details what does what and how it affects stuff... just amazing how much it will change overall look

screen-space-reflections-3-1040w.jpg

volumetric-lighting-2-1040w.jpg

richer-caves-2-1040w.jpg

parallax-2-after-1040w.jpg

appearance-modifier-ui-refresh-1-1040w.jpg

creature-fur-5-1040w.jpg

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Its cheap on steam atm,

Can anybody explains what u actually do in this game, i wanna play something completely different. Do you need to collect something or find animals or something that gives you a progression or is it just like na there is no goal and that's it.

I can't really find a answer towards it.

Also what do you do for 90% of the time.

Kinda wondering to get it.

Havoc2049

I think they are taking it too far with some of these updates. The game is starting to look goofy and just plain stupid. LSD trip in space.

WizeVibez

Banned
I think they are taking it too far with some of these updates. The game is starting to look goofy and just plain stupid. LSD trip in space.
So you've never played the game then? It's always looked like the cover of a 50's sci fi adventure novel. If anything, the Prisms update has added more realism than anything to the style.
There's always barren planets to stomp around on if you are tired of color and interesting locales.

Havoc2049

So you've never played the game then? It's always looked like the cover of a 50's sci fi adventure novel. If anything, the Prisms update has added more realism than anything to the style.
There's always barren planets to stomp around on if you are tired of color and interesting locales.
NMS had a little of the 50's sci-fi astetic going on, but it mainly had its own style and didn't quite look like something out of old school Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon or mid 20th Century pulp sci-fi. I thought The Outer Worlds did a great job capturing that look.

My criticism is mainly with the Prism update, the neon green llamas, pilots flying around on small gumby looking pastel colored flying pets, etc. Just looks goofy to me.

And to answer your question, no I haven't played NMS, but I love the space Sim and RPG genres and have over a thousand hours in Elite Dangerous. I watched the development of the game closely and have enjoyed watching what NMS has become and admire the devs for sticking with the game. I've thought about jumping in, but never have.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
How is vr in this game? Interesting how everything look in VR. How is depth and scale? Do mountains look big?
Waiting for my Oculus Quest 2 to arrive.
VR is incredible in this, the sense of scale is off the charts, your ship looks massive and the creatures fauna are all huge my only problem when I played it on the Pro was the resolution was fuzzy as shit, it wasnt sharp or detailed past a meter or so plus there was a real scale back on the amount of ground detail, although apparently they've addressed this with PS5 support but I'm waiting on my VR adapter and then I'll give it a shot for a look about but the gameplay loop doesn't really do much for me long term

StormCell

Its cheap on steam atm,

Can anybody explains what u actually do in this game, i wanna play something completely different. Do you need to collect something or find animals or something that gives you a progression or is it just like na there is no goal and that's it.

What you actually do in the game is kind of up to you. The whole premise is that you have awakened on a strange planet with no recollection of how you got there. It's just you alone on a desolate planet in a space exo suit. You must explore while your suit finishes re-initializing itself. With a little effort and some tutorial-style missions you manage to get your scanner functional and your mining beam (essential to crafting anything from here on). The game will do a little minor bit of hand-holding to get you moving because you're going to need all of the essentials in order to progress, which includes a space ship.

The game will basically open up to the extent that you kinda have to figure out what you want to do. Some objects you will come across will open some basic side stories. Some of the side stories you will stumble into will lead you off the planet to explore another planet. Some resources are only found on other planets than the one you woke up on. Still further yet, an in-game currency kinda forces you to gather and sell in order to accrue credits, and yet you could spend your time scanning every new thing you come across, because, strangely?, that also rewards you with money...

At some point you will wonder if you should build a home base or take to the stars. It's really up to you, traveler! Do you 100% the world you're standing on, or would you rather see what else is out there in the stars? You can build fun bases on different planets, collect space ships, own your own ship-carrying vessel (own a fleet), become a space trader, become a space pirate, or simply follow the path before you to the answer presented to you at the beginning of the game.

I just recently started playing again, and there are some things that I had wished were more fleshed out. Unlike the CRPGs I grew up with, this one feels quite a bit more open-ended with sporadic, totally random-generated side stories that can be, sometimes, a little immersion damaging when they don't flow perfectly correctly. Still, I absolutely love the style of No Man's Sky, as it takes me back to those old games I used to play. They absolutely should continue to build on this game as it has all the potential to become something truly special.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Every time they release a major update (or every few updates) I feel the need to start with a fresh save so I don't miss anything, so I've never actually finished the story in this game lol.

How is this on PS5? Locked 60fps, better terrain generation?

Kenpachii

What you actually do in the game is kind of up to you. The whole premise is that you have awakened on a strange planet with no recollection of how you got there. It's just you alone on a desolate planet in a space exo suit. You must explore while your suit finishes re-initializing itself. With a little effort and some tutorial-style missions you manage to get your scanner functional and your mining beam (essential to crafting anything from here on). The game will do a little minor bit of hand-holding to get you moving because you're going to need all of the essentials in order to progress, which includes a space ship.

The game will basically open up to the extent that you kinda have to figure out what you want to do. Some objects you will come across will open some basic side stories. Some of the side stories you will stumble into will lead you off the planet to explore another planet. Some resources are only found on other planets than the one you woke up on. Still further yet, an in-game currency kinda forces you to gather and sell in order to accrue credits, and yet you could spend your time scanning every new thing you come across, because, strangely?, that also rewards you with money...

At some point you will wonder if you should build a home base or take to the stars. It's really up to you, traveler! Do you 100% the world you're standing on, or would you rather see what else is out there in the stars? You can build fun bases on different planets, collect space ships, own your own ship-carrying vessel (own a fleet), become a space trader, become a space pirate, or simply follow the path before you to the answer presented to you at the beginning of the game.

I just recently started playing again, and there are some things that I had wished were more fleshed out. Unlike the CRPGs I grew up with, this one feels quite a bit more open-ended with sporadic, totally random-generated side stories that can be, sometimes, a little immersion damaging when they don't flow perfectly correctly. Still, I absolutely love the style of No Man's Sky, as it takes me back to those old games I used to play. They absolutely should continue to build on this game as it has all the potential to become something truly special.

Thanks, will probably buy it and see what it is then. I am kinda burned out on my current games so yea. See how it goes. This makes it a lot more clear.

Last edited:

Aenima

How is this on PS5? Locked 60fps, better terrain generation?
Tried it in the last update and it was fine. But i had to turn off the online mode in the game options or the game would crash every time entering a planet with alot of user created structures.

StormCell

Tried it in the last update and it was fine. But i had to turn off the online mode in the game options or the game would crash every time entering a planet with alot of user created structures.

I haven't seen that with XSX. Are planets with a lot of user created structures in the main game or is that only in one of the new modes? (I just started a new "vanilla" game)

Aenima

I haven't seen that with XSX. Are planets with a lot of user created structures in the main game or is that only in one of the new modes? (I just started a new "vanilla" game)
I played the new mode (expedition) where alot of players start in the same planet and then there was objectives to visit a couple other especific planets, and those planets was full of other player running around and full of player created structures.

Had to turn off the online mode for the game not to crash on those especific planets.

When i played the normal single player mode i just saw other player structures close to the center of the galaxy, and when i eventually jumped to a new galaxy i never saw any new player or any new player created structures anymore.

Last edited:

StormCell

I played the new mode (expedition) where alot of players start in the same planet and then there was objectives to visit a couple other especific planets, and those planets was full of other player running around and full of player created structures.

Had to turn off the online mode for the game not to crash on those especific planets.

When i played the normal single player mode i just saw other player structures close to the center of the galaxy, and when i eventually jumped to a new galaxy i never saw any new player or any new player created structures anymore.

Well that's interesting. I'm not really interested in playing the online mode where we all start out together, but I think having some so-called "hub worlds" is a nice touch. Hopefully, some day, they will figure out how to make planets a little more interesting.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Its cheap on steam atm,

There is an overall goal/set of missions but there are also side missions of going to hunt animals, take pictures of animals or scan for things. You can build things and bases...you can just go explore on your own and that's a side mission itself that you get credit for. All kinds of stuff, really. It's actually a good mix of a game where you can just do whatever you want and not have a "mission" to worry about, or you can do side mission stuff or main mission. And with literally almost unlimited places to travel, there's a lot you can do and see. I like it as a "different" kind of game I can just go and spend time in and relax and have fun. At the same time it seems there are major changes and improvements every few months. This thing is so much further along and more impressive than when it launched....it's not even funny. I'd definitely recommend giving it a try. As a space sim it's not as "realistic" perhaps as Elite, but it's similar in some ways and just a really different sort of game.

Top Bottom