• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Has Some Kind of Cryptic ARG Happening Right Now

Moobabe

I'd absolutely remain (positivily) cautious. This is probably going to be a bigger update then the ones before it. But don't expect it to somehow become the game of your dreams and then some.

I'd love to be absolutely blown away, but also be realistic considering the team size and the time from the previous update.

Oh for sure. On paper it was (almost) my dream game anyway. The lack of MP never bothered me, but a more immersive and dynamic universe was what I wanted.

Looks like it's much better now than it was, and (hopefully) only getting better!

CHC

I'm not going to lie, I'm kind of excited here. Only just recently have I begun to have a weird kind of nostalgia for my hype about this game. I think when it became apparent that it wasn't what it claimed to be at launch, I just kind of tuned out. But deep down I still really, really want that game that was advertised, and if they can turn it into that via updates or a relaunch, I'll be happy to give it another try.

legacyzero

Banned
Guys... this is a very interesting theory here: a must read

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyT...rather_than_being_game_lore_could_it_be_that/

Basically, a Redditor points out some pretty interesting parallels with the PDF communications within Waking Titan. It's almost as is Hello Games are communicating what happened to the launch of the game, and struggles with Sony during development that had the game launch in the state that it did, in a roundabout way.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyT...rather_than_being_game_lore_could_it_be_that/

Basically, a Redditor points out some pretty interesting parallels with the PDF communications within Waking Titan. It's almost as is Hello Games are communicating what happened to the launch of the game, and struggles with Sony during development that had the game launch in the state that it did, in a roundabout way.
I thought this before these. In that thread someone says Hello Games refused funding, which is Wiki BS. I would have thought it was the other way around. The full force of Sony were supposed to be behind Hello Games but they did nothing until it was released. So it would fit that they requested Sony for help and only got it after release.

And to the person who said it was idiotic for them to send out cryptic messages about it!? Do you really expect HG to come out and directly criticise Sony?

My thoughts on the matter haven't changed since I learnt Geoff Keighley tried to push a game he hadn't even seen and that Sony's only contribution seems to be sending in some testers after release. Outside forces pushed HG into an unwinnable position.

Go back to 2014 and stand in Murray's shoes. You think you have Sony backing you and two years to make your game. So you start to talk about your game, because how can you fail now? Only you run out of money and the people backing you are nowhere to be seen. In the meantime, everything you've said has been magnified and your game isn't even the game you were making. You can't even delay the game because you get shit for it and you don't have the money anyway. You lose.

Even when the game was to be first shown, Murray wanted to pull it, but was strong armed into releasing it. Sean Murray is the world's worst conman, because every interview he seems worried about his own game, but people took it as being humble...well he wasn't humble, he was shitting himself. The "He stole our money to life it up on an island in the South Pacific" has long since died, just like the One Man's Lie site. And it now feels like a man who got trapped between making his game and not making his game at all.

This has NDA written all over it. And I'm amazed it's not been talked about long before now. Or was it and it just got buried? Even I expect to get shit for just writing this.

So is this all just an elaborate explanation-apology?

Or are we going to get something really big, monumental and game-changing added to No Man's Sky?

Or both?

I honestly don't need an apology. I just want NMS to be the astronomically big, wondrous, dynamic game we all thought it would be. That to me is a better apology.

Spoo

Or are we going to get something really big, monumental and game-changing added to No Man's Sky?

Or both?

I honestly don't need an apology. I just want NMS to be the astronomically big, wondrous, dynamic game we all thought it would be. That to me is a better apology.

Seems unlikely to me. This ARG of theirs is costing a lot of money, and if they really wanted to *leak* out the truth about what happened all they'd have to do is have a chat with JShreier and we'd be done with it. Not saying they can't also blend hidden messages in with whatever it is they are leading up to, but there has to be more behind this or it's really a gigantic, impersonal waste of their time.

c0Zm1c

In that thread someone says Hello Games refused funding, which is Wiki BS.

That comes from the interviews with Sean. Here's a couple where it's mentioned:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/12/no-mans-sky-18-quintillion-planets-hello-games
http://www.wired.co.uk/article/no-mans-sky-sean-murray-interview

I suppose he could have been lying about it but I always assumed that they didn't want to make that kind of deal for fear of losing some creative control over the game.

Or both?

If the speculation is true both. The PDFs are not a major part of the ARG, they're just small snippets that are used on the side that have had some hints hidden in them. The link between the PDFs and the apology is tenuous at best, but a fun way to look at this information we've been given. If that's really what the PDFs are supposed to represent I think that's a really creative way of sharing this information, but the ARG is still mainly about building lore about the past of No Man's Sky.

I agree with you, we're past the point where we need an apology. Just deliver results, and let that do the talking for you imo.

Edit: Also just want to remind you of this quote from the AMA from before release:
Whenever devs are tight-lipped, it's normally just because they literally, legally, can't talk about a thing. Man, you would surprised how wrapped up most devs are in contracts and nonesense. Often for instance lots of devs will have a clause that says "you literally can't say the name of platform X". Knowing this it's really funny watching interviews where devs are squirming trying not to the word Wii or whatever when being asked about some industry thing :) - you see us say things like "well the thing about supporting... that particular console is..."

I don't know dude, that sounds like some superfan wishful thinking. HG have had plenty of opportunity to make vague comments about what happened if they wanted to. Also remember that these documents were written by Alice & Smith, so HG would have had to basically break their NDA to explain to A&S what happened so they could weave it into these PDFs.

Does the 3rd PDF sound like a company in crunch mode? Sure, but that's not limited to games. Many tech startups (like these fictitious ones) go through the same thing.

Chumley

Banned

Or both?

No, they're spending money on this, it's basically guaranteed to lead to some kind of content drop for NMS. The other stuff is Reddit detective speculation.

That comes from the interviews with Sean. Here's a couple where it's mentioned:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/12/no-mans-sky-18-quintillion-planets-hello-games
http://www.wired.co.uk/article/no-mans-sky-sean-murray-interview

I suppose he could have been lying about it but I always assumed that they didn't want to make that kind of deal for fear of losing some creative control over the game.

Well, ok, the citation was there at the bottom of the paragraph. But I think it says more than I was thinking. The first is talking about E3 2014, which was very early on and hadn't even been shown in a playable state. He would've had no idea he was going to run out of money and was just glad to get some exposure at E3. Move forward 2 years and he's saying, "We're around the same size of company as we were when we made Joe Danger. We're still self-funded, we're still pretty poor -- everything's to the wire. We still work all night". That to me says, "Help!" not "We're doing well for an indie studio", as it was a couple of months later that they delayed the game. This would be a "so what" if Sony hadn't announced in May 2015 that:-

"No Man’s Sky has been treated as if it was from one of our internal studios,” he says. “We have been working very closely with the developers and bringing it into our release programme as if we had made it. We are not going to treat it any differently and we are going to put the full weight of PlayStation behind it. If it all comes together as well as expected, it will be treated like a first-party release; it is not a self-published small indie title on the platform.”

There's so many mixed messages. I don't see why anyone would let all their money disappear when they have a multinational company backing them up?

So basically, no one is allowed to post anything that's not positive about this or it's a "driveby shitpost," even if the person gives their reasoning.

Gotcha.

No, sorry. That's not how it works. If I came in and simply posted, "lol fuck this game," that would be a driveby shitpost. But that isn't what happened. You simply didn't like my opinion. I fully respect those who disagree with my opinion.

Yeah you better respect me punk

I thought it was sort of eye rolling at first too. I just watched the series of recap videos posted in the OP and it's legit really cool and elaborate. I'm now officially expecting something more than the past two updates. If it's not, then this whole thing is some BS imo.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!

Seriously, though realllly pulling for some info next week. If they stretch this out to August I might go crazy

This just makes me angry that X-Files is no longer on Netflix. I never got past season three. Anyway, are there any guesses by the community as to when the Waking TItan ARG will be getting completed?

Seiniyta

Whilst we wait for this and people figure out the new glitched website, why not take look at some of the concept art of the game and possibilities that maybe will be realized in the future still. (the buildings in particular strike me as an odd omission as I don't think any of those silhouettes are in the game. (if it's allowed)

http://imgur.com/a/DgjPB

This just makes me angry that X-Files is no longer on Netflix. I never got past season three. Anyway, are there any guesses by the community as to when the Waking TItan ARG will be getting completed?

Best guesses for "big news" are July 8th or Early August. If we stay at our current pace the last sigil will unlock next Saturday, but no one knows if that is just going to lead into another round of puzzles.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I really hope that if they do improve on the geometry and terrain generation that scale is improved. The game can be gorgeous but sometimes the scale just seems off/small.

Seiniyta

To add to that, people seem to be derriving a couple of things from the names that are mentioned (taken from Reddit):

Battle of Hastings of 1066 -> Improved combat mechanics/Spaceship combat?
Joseon -> Might be linked to shipbuilding of some sorts.
Turing -> This is pretty straightforward and relates to A.I. Improved A.I?
Royal society-> The Royal Society's main focus was Science and Technology so this probably is about more technologies and blueprints;

The A.I for me would be the biggest deal probably. Especially for animals.

This is written in "scrambled text" when you scroll down on the new website:

Controlling Information
Since beyond time we have consumed immense swaths of knowledge and obtained untold power. We will come for your world as we have many others.

Interested in seeing what people discover about this new site.

edit: also there is a link right below it that says "Join our crusade" which sends you to the projects page.

Another phone number was found on the new site, which had a phone message saying to "call back later for pickup instructions." Seems like there's another physical package coming.

Someone met the NPC in London today, who handed off a note, which led to solving the next Sigil on Waking Titan.

In a truly bizarre twist, the next radio broadcast is on the Howard Stern show on July 8.

http://wiki.gamedetectives.net/index.php?title=Waking_Titan#Superlumina_Site

10thglyph.png

Thanks to the excellent recap vids from Kyle Culver on Youtube, I have finally caught up to the excellent and mind boggling revelations coming from ARG.

For those of you that are unfamiliar or uninitiated, check out his videos on the ARG, first one is here: https://youtu.be/FJoJTAyBOTM

Superlumina radio transcript (from reddit):

"The present message is a test. If you hear this audio transmission, we at Superlumina have finally proven the Lorentz invariant theory is right. We have succeeded in stabilizing superluminal communication, transmitting information into the past is now possible. Today is the <beep> of August two thousand and seventeen. For more information visit superlumina-6c.com"

August 2017, sounds like this really will be a 1 year anniversary update.

Seiniyta

Superlumina radio transcript (from reddit):

August 2017, sounds like this really will be a 1 year anniversary update.

And I'm glad actually, although I'd love to have the update right now this update will have had the largest gap by far which can only mean good things for the size/content of the update.

Though I do hope before that we get some concrete info about what the update will contain. Even if it's just a teaser, or just them talking what's going to be inside of it.

deoee

This is really really awesome and I'm wondering who thought of all this and how they managed to make all this
AU7Amsc.gif

Can't wait for new updates

t hicks

Banned
Gotta take back what I said about the HDR support a few pages back, they fixed whatever made it look bad on my TV and it looks really nice now :)
I've just been flying around, getting back into the game a little bit. Looking forward to the updates!

Thanks to the excellent recap vids from Kyle Culver on Youtube, I have finally caught up to the excellent and mind boggling revelations coming from ARG.

For those of you that are unfamiliar or uninitiated, check out his videos on the ARG, first one is here: https://youtu.be/FJoJTAyBOTM
Thanks for sharing this, great overview of the story so far.

I have to say reading up on all this recently has really made me want to go back to the game. I got my platinum trophy but haven't been back to try the latest updates.

It's gonna be really interesting to see where this goes, I actually loved NMS so I'm looking forward to more.

Now to go listen to that soundtrack :D

Ummm, I think I just got a Steam key from wakingtitan. With the caption "Your data set result 24/100".
Yeah, they definitely just sent out 100 more keys.

I'm curious, have you actually been entering all the codes into the website and going along with everything?

Someone met the NPC in London today, who handed off a note, which led to solving the next Sigil on Waking Titan.

In a truly bizarre twist, the next radio broadcast is on the Howard Stern show on July 8.

http://wiki.gamedetectives.net/index.php?title=Waking_Titan#Superlumina_Site

10thglyph.png

I know this sounds really weird and it'd never happen but I'd love to see Sean Murray interviewed by Howard Stern. He's a damn good interviewer and I'd like to hear his side of the story. What was going on throughout that period of silence and how they reacted to the news of their offices being abandoned and all that.

lol, does Howard Stern have commercials on XM? How they gonna do that?

Yup, Howard 100 and 101 run ads.

Also, Howard should be off this week, so my guess is that this either an ad, or something that will be brought up on the Wrap Up Show (which is still live even when the show is on break)- tho the latter seems less likely.

Well this has been an amazing start to a Sunday morning, sitting here catching up on all this ARG madness. I love it. Big thumbs up to all those solving the clues over on Reddit, and respect to Hello Games for stirring up interest in their game again. Hopefully the pay off is somewhere near to what people are hoping for.

Yeah, they definitely just sent out 100 more keys.

I'm curious, have you actually been entering all the codes into the website and going along with everything?

Well, not really. I signed up a few days ago. But I did enter all codes currently available just for fun.

Top Bottom