• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Has Some Kind of Cryptic ARG Happening Right Now

This is a cool ARG. I like that when the audio from the tapes are layered there's a voice. That's a really cool idea. I just kind of wish this wasn't for NMS. It's preventing me from getting into it. I'm too afraid it will end in disappointment.

I don't usually have the time to follow an ARG these days but this sounds great. It's getting me excited to check back in on the game.

MattAces

Missed the entire thing, so what are we expecting so far for the upcoming update? Saw something about portal and cities...

Truant

Kinda want to get back into this game, but I'm waiting until the next update comes out. Hopefully it won't be long!

Kinda want to get back into this game, but I'm waiting until the next update comes out. Hopefully it won't be long!

Same here.
The last update sounded pretty cool with the ground vehicles and other improvements, but I'm hoping for something even bigger!

I heard the original "story" was pretty mediocre at the end, so I hope this might be some kind of additional main story mission, like discovering these "Waking Titans" or stopping them from destroying whole planets or something cool like that.

How cool would it be to have Unicron style evil living planets you could land on! (doubt they'd go that far, but would still be super rad!)

legacyzero

Banned
This is a fuck ton of effort for a new potential unveiling. Kinda hyped to see what they have to show if they're doing all this

Landford

Banned
This is a fuck ton of effort for a new potential unveiling. Kinda hyped to see what they have to show if they're doing all this

Theres a remote, but possible, er, possibility that this Waking Atlas stuff is another ARG that is merely using NMS as a way to draw more attention. I personally think the tapes with "portal" written on it is everything HG intended.

JWiLL

Banned
Glad this game is getting more support...a lot of people bought it.

Not trying to stir the flames or anything, as I'm not a spurned owner, but has Sean Murray said anything yet? Last time I paid any attention to this was about 4 months after release, and he was still MIA.

Yup, always glad to see a game-- especially one with as much potential as NMS-- supported post-launch that isn't just bug fixes.

Not trying to stir the flames or anything, as I'm not a spurned owner, but has Sean Murray said anything yet? Last time I paid any attention to this was about 4 months after release, and he was still MIA.

I mean, he's working? The best way to tamp down critics who aren't just looking to shit on something regardless is to continue to support and improve the experience for current and future users. Once NMS reaches its final form, whenever that may be, I wouldn't be surprised if then we see some sort of interview with him in a retrospective of the game; likely by someone like Danny O'Dwyer.

bosh

1ad046c6a6d9287f9160279431d92808.jpg

Theres a remote, but possible, er, possibility that this Waking Atlas stuff is another ARG that is merely using NMS as a way to draw more attention. I personally think the tapes with "portal" written on it is everything HG intended.

I don't know, it seems a bit much to be coincidental. The Walking Titan people would have had to create that content really fast after learning about the NMS tapes with embedded spectrograph info, aside from the references to 16 and 65 and other NMS-esque things in the WT stuff.

Why would an ARG that's designed to promote something else tie themselves so heavily to NMS? Doesn't make sense to me, I think they have to be connected. It's possible Sony is paying for all of this, in the lead-up to a major NMS update.

bosh

Same here.
The last update sounded pretty cool with the ground vehicles and other improvements, but I'm hoping for something even bigger!

I heard the original "story" was pretty mediocre at the end, so I hope this might be some kind of additional main story mission, like discovering these "Waking Titans" or stopping them from destroying whole planets or something cool like that.

How cool would it be to have Unicron style evil living planets you could land on! (doubt they'd go that far, but would still be super rad!)

I have been struggling not going back to play it. Put about 50 hours into it originally. Have not tried out the last update yet, but with the possibility of another major update coming I am being patient for that to drop first.

Interesting that the site name on the echo-64.com site is "Echo gives a voice to the past".

Part of the Korvax story text told through monoliths:
The Korvax Echoes tell of a time, long ago, when the Monoliths of the Atlas awoke the civilizations of the Outer Edge. Their presence filled them with a desire for knowledge. From these beginnings empires were born, spoke out and fell silent once more. An eternity that cannot be quantified passed.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Wonder if this ties to E3. Imagine Sony having the balls to bring these guys back out. Honestly i could see them doing like a video PSVR on the Pro surprise with this and new update features and have it be available instantly.

bosh

Wonder if this ties to E3. Imagine Sony having the balls to bring these guys back out. Honestly i could see them doing like a video PSVR on the Pro surprise with this and new update features and have it be available instantly.

Could be a quick 2 minute portion of the presentation, Sean rolls out, everyone remembers why they really came to love NMS before release, announces the update, place goes nuts.

no-mans-sky-08-18-16-1.jpg

Here's a summary of events with the Waking Titan ARG so far by a moderator of the original site etarc.org: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NBrQKRWqug

Is it just me or does she seem like an actor? It's possible she's a "NPC" in the Waking Titan ARG. Especially she seems to be ground zero for knowledge of Waking Titan's existence. I imagine the whole etarc site was set up by whomever is running the ARG.

An associated site to the Waking Titan ARG echo-64.com opened today. The puzzle got figured out and apparently the next radio station broadcast will be June 17. So whatever this is, it won't be resolved at E3.

However, the connections to NMS at this point seem too much to be coincidental. There are references to procedural generation and Markov chains on the echo-64 site, both technologies used in No Man's Sky. Also, there is a linked text "84.190.188" at the bottom of the site. It links to a Run Lola Run song called Believe. The interesting part is that 84,190,188 is a RGB value, and that value is the approximate color of the sky in the NMS poster. (reddit user GreggaGeg discovered this) This is just too random to be a coincidence.

no_man_s_sky_logo_large.jpg

Aenima

Who has a cassette deck anymore? All of the hipsters went for vinyl.

I still have one in my bedroom. I even have some albuns in cassettes, they gathering dust but they still work. I also have a big colection of VHS movies, but my VHS player dont work anymore :D

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Gonna go ahead and call this now. This will lead up to a stealth patch for "stability" when it in fact.............leads you to a base/planet full of other players-yes-multiplayer is coming!

I think it's a good guess anyways

Could be a quick 2 minute portion of the presentation, Sean rolls out, everyone remembers why they really came to love NMS before release, announces the update, place goes nuts.

no-mans-sky-08-18-16-1.jpg

this made me laugh

Dash_

Here's hoping it's a meaty update. I haven't touched it since putting a few hours into it on release. VR would redeem the game in my eyes.

So is this going to resolve at E3 or after? I'd love to see NMS on the Sony stage.

As I said, the solved puzzle today said that the next radio transmission is supposed to air on June 17, so it seems like this is not going to culminate in some Sony keynote surprise. But I wouldn't be surprised if Sony is funding this ARG as a lead-in to a big content update; the amount of work and content that's gone into this ARG can't be cheap to produce.

Really hope it improves the gun combat and just goes is some ground stuff to fight other then sentinels .

If the last remaining pillar they have yet to expand on .

Enforcer

This ARG sounds really cool. I've gotta check out that reddit megathread and catch up on all that's happened since I first heard about it.

Really hope it improves the gun combat and just goes is some ground stuff to fight other then sentinels .

If the last remaining pillar they have yet to expand on .

I don't think they've really addressed the "Trade" pillar either. We've had an "Explore" update with the tweaks to the proc gen making the planets look better and we've had "Survive" addressed as well with the changes to resource availability and consumption rate, along with the additions of survival and permadeath modes. I don't think "Fight" has really been addressed, as you said (unless you count the few ship and multitool blueprints they added, but to me those seem like they're just laying the groundwork for a more fleshed out "Fight" update).

Memnoch

I'm a spurned owner and I'm glad it's getting support. Hopefully soon I can finally play this.

Moreche

Sean and his team are extremely talented people, there's no doubt about it.
What they've accomplished for such a small team is amazing.

Arkeband

Banned
I dunno what people expect with this, surely the more complicated the ARG the more man hours they wasted on that rather than development "for such a small team".

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
I put this is the OT, but maybe this seems more active, so I apologize for the double post:

Is now a good time to get into this game? as GS has it for $20. I haven't really paid attention to the game since launch, but that price is worth a look.

I put this is the OT, but maybe this seems more active, so I apologize for the double post:

Is now a good time to get into this game? as GS has it for $20. I haven't really paid attention to the game since launch, but that price is worth a look.

I'd wait for the update tbh, and I say that as someone who already enjoyed the hell out of the game before even the Day One Patch came out.

Updates have been pretty substantial.

Carn82

I'd wait for the update tbh, and I say that as someone who already enjoyed the hell out of the game before even the Day One Patch came out.

Updates have been pretty substantial.

I have barely touched the base-building update. Will probably wait a bit for whatever is coming and start a new game; didnt play it that much when I got it at launch.

13ruce

Banned

20-25 is the sweet spot for this game imo so yeah the first 2 updates already improved alot and if another one or two come to tweak/add more it will be fantastic.

You can say what you want but they do try and fix/update the game to get closer to the original promise. And for 20 it's in the indie game price zone anyway.

Top Bottom