• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT| Hello Worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know what Heridium looks like? I'm sitting at a deposit, scanning everything and have no clue what to do or how to get it..I figured it'd be like gathering other resources like platinum or iron, but it's a blue icon, so I interact with it?

On my second planet I was having a hellish time finding Heridium. I finally figured out that this one annoying creature species that kept attacking me repeatedly actually gave up Heridium when it died. So I made it my mission to try to make them extinct. lol That's actually how I got the Heridium I needed.

Cpdq8M3W8AEdtsv.jpg:large

My starter planet after I did the reset due to the DLC ship issue.

Game is crazy good.

My local Target, Best Buy, Wal-mart, and Gamestop were all sold out when I went to get a copy tonight. Is that normal for a release day?

Luckily I wasn't going to be able to get any significant playtime in until the weekend anyway. Worst case scenario, I'll just get it digitally thursday.

I'm guessing this wasn't shipped in large quantities

trying to scan the last few species on this planet, and I see this flock of things flying to for me to scan, but nothing happens when I try to.

MattyG

Banned
I think my biggest issues with the game right now are a) I'm trying to rush to the center and b) I feel like there's no point to staying on planets, and c) constantly recharging shot is annoying (wish there were hotkeys for this). I'm going to try to switch up my playstyle tomorrow.

Has anyone found a good way to navigate planets? Because I feel like once I leave an area, there's no going back to it. There's no real landmarks or anything, so I don't feel like I'm exploring so much as I'm wandering. Maybe I should go on foot rather than fly everywhere?

Also, is there any rhyme or reason to when
Polo and Nada events pop up? I've seen them twice and then they stopped appearing. Does it have to do with your rank or something?

trying to scan the last few species on this planet, and I see this flock of things flying to for me to scan, but nothing happens when I try to.
Shoot one down and scan it's body, that's what I had to do.

Teknoman

Someone found me in the game. I get a message on PSN from a complete stranger asking me if I'm on some randomly named planet. I'm like, "wait, okay, where? In the game?"

Then I get a screenshot of the other player's map screen and one of the planets is named "Ceti Alpha V" with the same number of planets and went on to describe the exact same place I started out. The first two systems we played in are identical, weird names and all.

Time out. This is big news!

Matt Frost

The feeling of exploring a planet, go into space and warp to another galaxy to find some sort of alien base is... perfection for me. Alao felt the same goosebumps ike when I played Mario 64 for the first time. Gameplay is absolutely fantastic and I am only 4 hours in... need to sleep now... why I need to sleep...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
As much as I'm loving the game I have to admit that the aiming is terrible. The space combat is nothing but frustration.

Beam phasers lock on, which makes killing pirates soooo much easier.

Hung Wei Lo

big tall pillars of shiny black rock. In weird geometric symmetry, like a rectangle. Must be nearby somewhere?

Yeah oddly I have them and I'm not seeing ones installed on the ships in this space station.

On my second planet I was having a hellish time finding Heridium. I finally figured out that this one annoying creature species that kept attacking me repeatedly actually gave up Heridium when it died. So I made it my mission to try to make them extinct. lol That's actually how I got the Heridium I needed.

They're sorta common. Should be one within a 10 minute walk usually.

Thanks guys! found it..guess it was a "look around the area" type of marker or something...

Ashtar

My wife loves planets and astronomy so I bought this as an anniversary gift (she also loves games) we played like 2 hours. Definitely interesting, as she was playing first and I was trying not to tell her what to do we missed the you can craft stuff so spent a while just roaming around the planet but we ended killing a bunch of sentinels and now we have everything we need to get off the planet.
My problems with it so far are the gun play I hope when you get some better weapons it controls better and the run button being r3 otherwise enjoying it!

Kaiken

Banned
Tap the touchpad to go into the menu, and under OPTIONS, there will be "Redeem Items" option that lets you get your pre-order bonuses and/or Limited Edtion goodies. If you're getting the ship, you cannot redeem it unless you are on the surface of a planet and not inside your current ship.

Thanks!!!

Teknoman

Someone found me in the game. I get a message on PSN from a complete stranger asking me if I'm on some randomly named planet. I'm like, "wait, okay, where? In the game?"

Then I get a screenshot of the other player's map screen and one of the planets is named "Ceti Alpha V" with the same number of planets and went on to describe the exact same place I started out. The first two systems we played in are identical, weird names and all.

Can you post the exchange?

Kimaka

My Starter Planet

xUhGFQd.png

M9Yjdif.png

tbh I was kinda hoping to start on a "Fuck you" planet, but the sentinels scanning me when I'm mining were already freaking me out.

imjust1n

Banned
SO lol
I accidentally didnt get enough Iron for the Hyperdrive and its taking me like an hour to get to the nearest space station.
Can anyone tell me where I go to trade and upgrade?

border

Thanks!!!

You're welcome :) The tooltips really ought to be more clear about how to redeem your goodies. I kept getting some nagging message about "You have unredeemed items" for at least a couple hours before I figured out it was in the Options menu. I thought that was just for changing controls and audio settings...

This game from a tech level is blowing me away. I know procedurally generated stuff is nothing new, but the scale is insane. The soundtrack is stellar and it manages to stay steady at 30 fps. And dat art direction, damn. Even my fiancé who has no interest in games is intrigued by it. This game may become boring after a bit, but till then I'm hooked. Amazing work by Hello Games

0racle

I think I'm getting the hang of it. Just got the anti matter recipe.

Please chime in as I think this is how your supposed to play? Initially I spent hours on my starter planet chasing green question marks with very little progress besides some technologies and language perks.

Now that I'm planet hopping I only explore for 10 to 15 minutes if it does not have the resources I need. Things seem to be moving the way it's designed?

I know there is no proper way to play and we all have choice, but is the cannon way to play quick hopping?

Tap the touchpad to go into the menu, and under OPTIONS, there will be "Redeem Items" option that lets you get your pre-order bonuses and/or Limited Edtion goodies. If you're getting the ship, you cannot redeem it unless you are on the surface of a planet and not inside your current ship.
I did this and am still unclear as to where to find the ship...

Just upgraded from the mining tool to the actual gun. Is there a way to switch between the two so I can still use the mining tool? This game literally tells you nothing which is awesome & confusing lol.

MattyG

Banned
Just reached

Atlas Station and finally picked up the ability to craft Atlas Passes.
Game is crack
Do you get better
Atlas Passes from subsequent visits? I'm still on v1.
Okay I have 100% for two planets and I'm not getting shit.
I think the "get x units for 100%" is just the amount you can get total, not a bonus for 100%. I didn't get anything from my 100% either.

anddo0

Okay I have 100% for two planets and I'm not getting shit.

If that's the case screw scanning all the animals. I just spent the better part of 40 mins trying to scan birds. I still couldn't scan or shoot them.

Why won't the scanner work while in the ship?

Spent about 8 hours in mine, lol. I must have gotten a really good starting planet, because it looks like my suit upgrades are already almost max.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Being able to set waypoints on the surface of planets would be really helpful, the ones in the game don't link to any kind of map after unlocking them.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I honestly don't have time to read the 130 pages here. Can someone please summarize GAF impressions? From the stuff I've read, it boils down to

--Game is relatively disappointing.
--Repetiive
--Combat Sucks
--Exploration is fun at first but grows tiresome
--Inventory system frustrations

The vibe I'm getting is about a 6.5/10. If I'm wrong, please let me know, but nothing about the impressions so far has made me think "I need to get this game, today".

jombag

KHHAAAANNN!!

lightus

Why won't the scanner work while in the ship?

I think it only finds larger landmarks, not resources. Not positive though.

I have a question as well, can I own multiple guns/ships? Or do you have to trade them?

I want this new gun, but it doesn't have an analysis Visor which would greatly stifle my ability to discover new things.

Edit: to be clear, I'm not referring to an offensive upgrade to the starter gun, but rather buying a new gun all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom