• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Zolbrod

CqEWx8jVYAE6pXc.jpg

I don't

I mean

wat

Finished the Atlas path, and decided there wasn't much left to do but burn rubber to the centre. 10k light years in and I'm definitely seeing some different stuff. Just small things like different monoliths and number puzzles. Also found my first planet with super aggressive animals. Horrid little spider things that attacked me 5 at a time. Bastard things were everywhere.

Also picked up a neat biological looking multitool. It's all chitinous and looks just like a Warhammer 40k Tyranid weapon. Saw a multitool that was pure gold too.

Spider and crab type animals, have been mostly aggressive in my time with the game so far. But that probably doesnt account for much.

Thin White Duke

Neo Member
Yeah, it's really bad design. They need to have it auto upload the completion when you get it.
This screwed me over too. It's one thing it doesn't auto upload, but the element in the UI for it doesn't even look like any of the other buttons so I just interpreted it as a label telling me to manually upload each of the species individually in the little menu below, which doesn't unlock the bonus.

lt519

When you upload one it also renders all your other planets uploaded without them counting towards the tally. By the time I had one fully complete I had been to three or four barren planets and when I uploaded the one I had legit completed every other planet showed up as 100% and already uploaded. I then learned about that truck but then it was too late.

So don't hang on to them.

lt519

Yeah, barren planets just have nothing down there.

Pisses me off because that's the current milestone roadblocking me with Polo. I can't max out a single fucking planet.

It's really irritating, I left a few planets one or two species short after hours of exploration, checking caves, water, air and everywhere they could be. The ones I did complete after a few hours of searching were just species that I had never seen just randomly showing up on normal terrain, really irritating. The cash bonus on the ones I have up on would have been really nice. Especially in the early going.

molnizzle

It's really irritating, I left a few planets one or two species short after hours of exploration, checking caves, water, air and everywhere they could be. The ones I did complete after a few hours of searching were just species that I had never seen just randomly showing up on normal terrain, really irritating. The cash bonus on the ones I have up on would have been really nice. Especially in the early going.

There was a couple planets that had one or two left that I could SEE but not scan because they were flying creatures. Impossible to scan without shooting them down, and these flew out of range. Just infuriating.

Teknoman

Man this desert planet (Planet Fabul) is like Starship Troopers world, but the bugs are only as big as dogs. Also carnivorous bovine.

What's the best way to get to the center of the universe, black holes your just following the path? I have al the warp drives and 42 warp cells finally ready to make a mad dash.

Wok

What's the best way to get to the center of the universe, black holes your just following the path? I have al the warp drives and 42 warp cells finally ready to make a mad dash.

Bigger distances with normal warps, and nothing to repair in between warps.

By the way, could you find out which planet is the closest to the galaxy center? This is where I want to settle.

The experimental patch made this properly playable for me, and I've really enjoyed the first three hours. I actually just started a new file after how badly I messed up the first one, and now that I kind of understand all of the systems it throws at you in the first 10 minutes it's actually fun..?

I'm sure all of the complaints will hit 20-30 hours from now, but this is so relaxing right now. I repaired my ship, explored this super crazy beautiful planet for an hour, found a crashed ship, got attacked by some little bug dudes, and now I'm about to leave the atmosphere for the first time. This is all I wanted the game to be so far. I can't wait to try a space battle.

lt519

Let me know if you make any headway. I just did 10 jumps of 700 liner distance and only gained 2000 distance from the center. I went into free explore and aimed right down the middle too.

I'm in a system with 4 planets and 1 moon, but there are 7 things listed on the discovery page. (And one of my named planets got overwritten by a person who just names things with their PSN name. Couldn't be any worse.)

Wok

OMG. I have found a multi-tool upgrade which crashes my game. I am on a planet, I have just landed and saved the game, and I go inside the transmission tower. Everything works fine except if I press X to observe the multi-tool upgrade on the wall. Then the game crashes. I have my savegame to reproduce the bug. I have already reproduced it 3 times. I have reported it on the Steam forum, I don't know what else to do.

Maybe I try the experimental branch.

Edit: In total, the game crashed 9 times!

EsNsI0m.png

And people say there aren't large animals (excuse the poor screenshot). Check out the size of that dude in the distance. They were massive up close (and docile).

How tall did it say it was in meters? The planet I'm on right now has the largest I've seen in my game, at about 4.6m.

On a sidenote, I just got a double storm on this planet – a firestorm and an icestorm at the same time. Not sure how that works. This system wants to kill me.

OMG. I have found a multi-tool upgrade which crashes my game. I am on a planet, I have just landed and saved the game, and I go inside the transmission tower. Everything works fine except if I press X to observe the multi-tool upgrade on the wall. Then the game crashes. I have my savegame to reproduce the bug. I have already reproduced it 3 times. I have reported it on the Steam forum, I don't know what else to do.

Maybe I try the experimental branch.

Same thing happened to me on PS4. Tried to get the multi-tool upgrade twice, game crashed twice, and then I didn't even try going into that building again.

BigDug13

Yeah, barren planets just have nothing down there.

Pisses me off because that's the current milestone roadblocking me with Polo. I can't max out a single fucking planet.

I'm stuck on extreme planets. I'm sitting at 2.8 out of 3 sols and no matter how much time I spend on extreme planets, that number never changes. I think I'm bugged.

4 crashes in 30 minutes (PS4). That's my record by far. Always seems to happen around Trade Stations and when entering the Options menu. Did my part reporting it but I can't wait for the patch to smooth it out as well as provide possible QoL feautures.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm stuck on extreme planets. I'm sitting at 2.8 out of 3 sols and no matter how much time I spend on extreme planets, that number never changes. I think I'm bugged.

It has to be done all in one go at the moment. Not sure if it's a bug. That number is the highest you've done but if you want the record it will start from 0 each time you land on a new extreme planet. I think it's probably a bug, takes 6-8 hours to do right now and has to be done all at once.

venomenon

The counter resting specifically on 2.8 appears to be a bug indeed, several people on the Steam forums have that problem :(
edit: Disregard that, the number I had in mind was 2.2 and even that might be a coincidence.

Well, sol is our sun, so 1 Sol is normally a way of saying "one earth year", so it would be the same everywhere
That's not correct afaik, sol is a solar day. I think in real life it's ususally used for Mars. Its length would primarily depend on a planet's rotation speed, with revolution speed having an influence as well.
It's obvious that in the context of the game it's supposed to be a fancier way to say "day". The question is if it is planet-specific or if it has a fixed length (say, 30 real time minutes for instance). If it's the latter, the term as used in the game wouldn't necessarily have to have anything to do with the day/night circles you can observe on planets.

Trojan

No joke, this game has crashed at least 8 times on me throughout the day. Playing on PS4. I don't know if it's a bug after a lot of progress or something with inventory, but I had only 2 crashes total before. Ugly.

No joke, this game has crashed at least 8 times on me throughout the day. Playing on PS4. I don't know if it's a bug after a lot of progress or something with inventory, but I had only 2 crashes total before. Ugly.

I've had a lot of crashes recently too

melkier33

I haven't really seen any post lava planets so here's one I got like a day or 2 after release.

6oKBfYM.jpg

TYHJyEn.jpg

I have a video of the last picture of a swarm of ships just flying nonstop circles around the trading post. Thought it was pretty cool and would make a beat dynamic theme or something. Might upload it eventually.

Aselith

Man, this game is really starting to grate away at me. Is there anything about it not designed to be as annoying as possible?

I mean the start up sequence is pretty cool the first time and then you have to watch a five minute flythrough every subsequent load?

-Inventory management is annoying (Exosuit inventory full? Send it to the ship automatically!)
-Recharging your gear is annoying (just let it refill from stock?)
-Walking speed is annoying. Why? That doesn't accomplish anything at least just make sprint infinite and a fuck load faster.
-Nanny game that wants to tell you about meaningless milestones like how far you walked. That shit takes FOREVER and you can't do anything while it EDM's at you. Just a quick heads up notification like achievements is fine.
-Trade goods don't stack? Wut. Let me stack my damn Fascination Beads so I don't just drop them for expensive minerals that I CAN actually stack.

Additionally, it should be welcoming you to explore the worlds. That's what the game is about! Instead it just makes them as unwelcoming as fucking possible to explore.

-Slow ass walk speed is telling you to use your ship to move around and that means you skip out on scenery between locations.
-Caves not having unique ores/quicker mining
-Not enough inventory space to take meaningfully long gathering trips
-Regional variety not really existing (that I've seen)
-Can't call your ship directly which means you need to stay close instead of losing yourself in the world.
-Not to mention by far the most egregious, when you scan for things and points you at a place you already went? Da fuck.

I play tons of survival game and the most frustrating one I've ever played :/ Let's of stuff that mods would fix so I really hope they come soon. I like exploring the world, I can't stand that the game won't just let me.

Baalzebup

I'm in a system with 4 planets and 1 moon, but there are 7 things listed on the discovery page. (And one of my named planets got overwritten by a person who just names things with their PSN name. Couldn't be any worse.)

Ugh, I have the same thing going. The only person sharing my little corner of the galaxy is a tool who names everything "Jonno", which is his username minus a few numbers. C'mon son, keep the originals if you can't think of anything.

Ritzboof

this post is brand new and very positive and i love all of the people sharing their gear and their findings, but im compelled do drop a link to all of the things we were sold on in the past that evidently arent in the game. it really puts into perspective why a lot of people were kinda perplexed by the game

https://m.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4y4i3a/wheres_the_nms_we_were_sold_on_front_page/

its pretty crazy and eye opening. the NMS we got is good and all, but man, i wonder what happened to all of that stuff.for example, where are the ringed planets? what happened to large-scale wars, or planets orbiting around their sun? i keep forgetting these systems have a sun most of the time

that said, i would be lying if i said this game didnt have its fair share of magical moments. genuinely beautiful planets can potentially keep you for hours, just so you can see these amazing feats of nature and capture amazing photos

eaeaf26d06.jpg

149feb4d9b.jpg

I had a system which was discovered by some guy (lemon something or the other) but interestingly he didn't name the system or even visit any of the planets there.

So I went to catalogue and have fun but a planet I named and uploaded has a red dot signifying it failed maybe? And I can't redo it. Honestly, the discovery and naming part is my favorite part of the whole thing, to make a unique mark in that regard to whoever may follow my trail. I don't really know how much of my stuff has "sticked" to the server nor do I know how it works to judge. But I would be extremely pissed if it isn't saved.

Inviusx

How the hell do you 100% a planet?

I have 2 species left, there are no birds on this planet and no water. I walked for an hour across cliffs and through caves and couldn't find the last 2 species.....

Skeletron

Does the color of the star on the galactic map have any correlation to what color the system is going to be tinted? Kinda tired of these neon green gas clouds I keep warping into.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
How the hell do you 100% a planet?

I have 2 species left, there are no birds on this planet and no water. I walked for an hour across cliffs and through caves and couldn't find the last 2 species.....

I found 100% of the creatures on a moon, and didn't get the milestone...

Is it because it's a moon? Or did it glitch?

Dredd97

this post is brand new and very positive and i love all of the people sharing their gear and their findings, but im compelled do drop a link to all of the things we were sold on in the past that evidently arent in the game. it really puts into perspective why a lot of people were kinda perplexed by the game

https://m.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4y4i3a/wheres_the_nms_we_were_sold_on_front_page/

its pretty crazy and eye opening. the NMS we got is good and all, but man, i wonder what happened to all of that stuff.for example, where are the dogfights in the atmosphere? or ringed planets? what happened to large-scale wars, or planets orbiting around their sun? i keep forgetting these systems have a sun most of the time

that said, i would be lying if i said this game didnt have its fair share of magical moments. genuinely beautiful planets can potentially keep you for hours, just so you can see these amazing feats of nature and capture amazing photos

eaeaf26d06.jpg

149feb4d9b.jpg

funny, you should say that, because I had exactly one of those on the PC version, I jumped into low orbit and was set upon by a pirate, he dove into atmosphere and I puersued him and shot him down (he didn't crash unfortunately, just blew up, like they all do)..

Baalzebup

I found 100% of the creatures on a moon, and didn't get the milestone...

Is it because it's a moon? Or did it glitch?

Have you uploaded the 100% thingy itself? The %%-bar tracking the progress, below the species tick-boxes, is also a button for getting the credit for the actual deed, both unit wise and milestone wise.

Platinum trophy turned out to be a lot easier than I thought it would be, after futzing around for a few days just wandering around and exploring I had like 75% of the trophies, and just had to kill a bunch of space pirates, warp around a lot more, and spend 8 hours AFK on an extreme planet in a cave to get the platinum (system is in PS 4.0 beta so thats why trophy box looks different)

Zx0j6aD.jpg

I finished nowhere near the center, still like 160k light years out - I think you start out at 180k LY out so I barely left the corner! I did finish the Atlas quest line, mostly just by accident. I only swapped ships once, from the starter 16 box ship to a 24 box ship I bought at a space station. My exo suit I did upgrade to 48, mostly via space stations. I'd say I spent probably 75% of my time in space, after the first 10 hours I rarely went down to a planet. Would have absolutely loved the option to spend the entire game in space, sort of like The Expanse's Belter folks.

All in all I enjoyed my time but glad I bought on console so I can trade the game in now.

Bigger distances with normal warps, and nothing to repair in between warps.

By the way, could you find out which planet is the closest to the galaxy center? This is where I want to settle.

I read this one second late and warped and it blew out my theta reactor and I needed to get 25 more nickel to fix it lol.

Yeah I'll do the warp in line. I get about 1,600 light years in one jump,(im dumb here)l, have 42 cells, at like 148k away... Yeah math

To bad I have to save every or every other warp at a station since it crashes on me so much.

Ritzboof

funny, you should say that, because I had exactly one of those on the PC version, I jumped into low orbit and was set upon by a pirate, he dove into atmosphere and I puersued him and shot him down (he didn't crash unfortunately, just blew up, like they all do)..

yeah, the same thing happened to me a moment ago, too, so scratch that; dogfights on planets are a thing. i could swear i had trouble leading hostile ships onto planets, or that i could escape them watch_dogs style, but here we are. whats interesting, too, is fights happen quite differently when youre in the atmosphere (albeit they end just as quickly)

i was also disappointed that i didnt get to see them crash. the drops even teleported straight to me

I had to stop playing because of it. I was getting a crash every 10 to 15 minutes. I love the game so much but the crashes were starting to really ruin the fun for me. Hopefully its sorted quick so I can jump back in. I couldnt progress it got so bad. I had maxed out everything and like 40 million credits so maybe a save file with lots of crap in it is the cause or something? I dunno but it was unbearable and I'm usually very forgiving when it comes to some technical hiccups.

Me too, in my second system, I was leaving a planet and pirates came up from the surface and attacked me from below. I had to dive back towards the surface to fight them.

Top Bottom