• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Platinum trophy turned out to be a lot easier than I thought it would be, after futzing around for a few days just wandering around and exploring I had like 75% of the trophies, and just had to kill a bunch of space pirates, warp around a lot more, and spend 8 hours AFK on an extreme planet in a cave to get the platinum [...]

Wait a second, do you have to do this in one sitting? Spending hours on an extreme planet without a break (e.g. flying off into space)? That would be insane. :/

Wait a second, do you have to do this in one sitting? Spending hours on an extreme planet without a break (e.g. flying off into space)? That would be insane. :/

Just leave your console on overnight. You can be in a shelter. Give your exosuit all the life support upgrades and wait it out

Stupid ass trophy

KeRaSh

Currently remote playing from work, topping off my life support every now and then to get the survival trophy.
After that I will probably make a few more runs for those valuable spheres and then bail from this sentinel shithole. Might focus a little on ship upgrades once I stumble across a Gek world but on the other hand I'm not sure I really need more slots. 25 is not a lot but I only run out of space when I'm farming shit and I'm only farming stuff when I need money. I actually don't really need money so I have no real incentive to farm...
Might focus a little on reaching more Atlas stations and then decide on what to do.
Haven't really had time to put some hours into the game since Saturday so I'm looking forward to making some progress tonight!

Baalzebup

How the hell do you 100% a planet?

I have 2 species left, there are no birds on this planet and no water. I walked for an hour across cliffs and through caves and couldn't find the last 2 species.....
Its not a moon its a legit planet. The fauna rating was "Abundant". Im guessing it's bugged.

Phew, I'll just quote myself from the first OT
I've been doing some research on effective Fauna scanning and I think the 100% is generally easier than one might think, barring the few slippery flying fuckers who just don't want to get scanned (especially those damn insect-sized dreadnoughts that don't even fucking die not matter what you do).

The solution is the visor itself, with a feature that I just kinda noticed. I have no idea if this is due to my high level multi-tool synergies (scanner, +2 and +3 upgrades and visor all linked in synergy) or if it works like that by default, but if you keep the visor active for a while, you can see these white dots that are either just beyond the usual creature draw distance or beyond the line of sight due to terrain or something. Those dots are lifeforms of one sort or another. I've been using this feature to track subterranean species and hunting for packs of wildlife, both land-bound and flying creatures, and it has done wonders to the speed at which I can score a 100% on any particular planet. For the last one, you might need to do some educated guess-work whether the creature will be underground, on ground, on the air or in the water, but generally there seems to be a certain distribution of creature types that can hint at where you should be looking. For example, on a 10 creature pool with no water, I'd expect 1 or 2 subterranean ones, 1 or 2 flying ones and the rest will be ground-only by default.

Upon visual contact, the you can easily spot new species and sub-types of critters as the white dot turns red if you don't have a scan of that particular one. Green is for scanned ones.

Add to this the fact that some animals are out and about only at night. Honestly, the only *really* difficult feature around this has been the damn insect sized lifeforms since the shoot'n scan thing doesn't work on their invincible asses and they are pretty hard to spot in the first place. Just going "there are no birds" because you haven't spotted any can be a rather big assumption to make. I've yet to see a 8+ species, non-watery planet with no flying creatures.

Anecdotal to be sure, but on the last 13 species planet I visited, I had the 100% under an hour.

Currently yes at once. I think it's a mistake on HG's part considering how easy the rest of the trophies are. I did it on an extreme weather and hostile sentinel planet and the first couple hours were fun but the last two were horrible lol Good money though.

I am surprised being in a shelter works :) Does this include planets with Radiation, or just extreme temperatures?

It does work in high radiation and toxic environments.

I've tried to leave my console up throughout the night in order to get this trophy. But guess what: it crashed.

I'm getting very tired of this BSODs and the fact that many things that hyped me aren't in the game and probably never will.

Raiden

Banned
Are there any planets where you dont have to feed your life support? I feel like my health is always going down even on tropical, normal climate planets.

Baalzebup

I can't get the final creature, which ius a bird. I've got to various heights. Nothing. Refuses to scan, even when zoomed in.

Scanning flyers has been noted to be notoriously difficult, but it is not impossible. If it is a bird sized creature, you can try to shoot one down and scan the corpse.

DjRalford

I found all species on this moon, but it doesn't say I've completed one planet? And although it says 100% I got no bonus, everything's been uploaded too.

Dommel

Yep :)
The randomly generated planet names also made me laugh a few times. Yesterday I discovered a planet that started with "Sluitdijk" :)
Wonder how they come up with these names.

Are you seriously playing this game in Dutch? That screenshot alone made my toes curl.

Here's a question!

I came across some RADNOX a while ago, only 30 units of it. It's "very rare".

Has anyone found a use for this? I've been keeping it in my cargo hold for a while now and not sure if I should sell it or hang on to it just in case.

magawolaz

Have you uploaded the 100% thingy itself? The %%-bar tracking the progress, below the species tick-boxes, is also a button for getting the credit for the actual deed, both unit wise and milestone wise.
I didn't know that, I just tried and got the bronze trophy.

BUT

now every other planet show 100% completition (even though I never discovered any species on them), and I can't upload them. Not even the ones where I legit found all species. I tried reloading and uploading other planets first, but no dice.
Seems like a stupid ass bug.

BUT

now every other planet show 100% completition (even though I never discovered any species on them), and I can't upload them. Not even the ones where I legit found all species. I tried reloading and uploading other planets first, but no dice.

I remember reading that you had to be on that planet to upload.

DjRalford

BUT

Never mind

Now I've hit the button I got it.

kami_sama

The game just updated on steam. Any idea what the update does?

Edit: It fixes the warp drive upgrades, before I could warp to red and blue starts, now only green ones.

Baalzebup

Here's a question!

Has anyone found a use for this? I've been keeping it in my cargo hold for a while now and not sure if I should sell it or hang on to it just in case.

The only upgrade that seems to use it is the Theta-tier combat damage upgrade for the Mining Laser. I think it needed 20 Radnox.

BUT

Yeah, this is a known bug. Every time you upload a 100% thingy, it somehow applies it to every single planet you've visited so far without giving you any of the boons, ignoring any and all past and future progress on said planets. Essentially you either have to 100% the planets one at a time, or just ignore it until the patch hits. I assume this is one of the things it would fix.

Here's a question!

At least one Omni-Tool upgrade requires some Radnox. Didn't find other use for it yet.

Inviusx

Phew, I'll just quote myself from the first OT

Add to this the fact that some animals are out and about only at night. Honestly, the only *really* difficult feature around this has been the damn insect sized lifeforms since the shoot'n scan thing doesn't work on their invincible asses and they are pretty hard to spot in the first place. Just going "there are no birds" because you haven't spotted any can be a rather big assumption to make. I've yet to see a 8+ species, non-watery planet with no flying creatures.

Anecdotal to be sure, but on the last 13 species planet I visited, I had the 100% under an hour.

Good info, thanks. Didn't know about the potential for fauna to only spawn at night. Plus I don't think I have upgraded my visor at all so that might be the problem.

Baalzebup

Good info, thanks. Didn't know about the potential for fauna to only spawn at night. Plus I don't think I have upgraded my visor at all so that might be the problem.

I honestly don't think the scanner upgrades do anything beyond increasing your scanner range on foot. I just added that there to cover my bases, since it is just me making observations.

yeah, the same thing happened to me a moment ago, too, so scratch that; dogfights on planets are a thing. i could swear i had trouble leading hostile ships onto planets, or that i could escape them watch_dogs style, but here we are. whats interesting, too, is fights happen quite differently when youre in the atmosphere (albeit they end just as quickly)

i was also disappointed that i didnt get to see them crash. the drops even teleported straight to me

You can start a fight with the ships flying around in the atmosphere of planets also.

Planets have started ramping out in extreme weather conditions for me, but it is still a pretty passive place ship wise.

venomenon

It does work in high radiation and toxic environments.

I've tried to leave my console up throughout the night in order to get this trophy. But guess what: it crashed.
May I ask what kind of shelter you tried that with?
I'm 99% sure when I went to an abandoned factory on a toxic planet and alt-tabbed out of the game for 10 minutes, there was no progress to the milestone. When I stood outside and alt-tabbed out, there was.
I should've tried hiding in a cave instead, will do so tonight.

Lol, damn. Having expected the Jurassic Park video once again, this caught me by surprise. My co-worker most certainly thinks I'm weird now.

Hasney

From Reddit

xeKHfZv.gif

GOTY

Baalzebup

Wow... I wonder how bad the repair costs will be. Or perhaps it really would be the time to heed the Imgur comment:
And that's the point where you wander around until you find a distress beacon for a crash ship and rebuild it.

KeRaSh

May I ask what kind of shelter you tried that with?
I'm 99% sure when I went to an abandoned factory on a toxic planet and alt-tabbed out of the game for 10 minutes, there was no progress to the milestone. When I stood outside and alt-tabbed out, there was.
I should've tried hiding in a cave instead, will do so tonight.

Lol, damn. Having expected the Jurassic Park video once again, this caught me by surprise. My co-worker most certainly thinks I'm weird now.

I'm currently standing in an operations center and it's ticking up just fine. Only a few more Sols to go!

Sarcasm

20.7mb update. I assume it is the SSE thing. Though thought that was experimental.

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...nt-news+(Daily+Express+::+Entertainment+Feed)

Improved AMD Phenom Support:

Thousands of lines of assembly have been rewritten to support AMD CPUs. The game code no longer relies on anything above SSE 2; Havok Physics has also now created new libs. Game is now confirmed working on Phenom CPUs.

Mouse Smoothing:

Smoothing on mouse movement has been improved to prevent hitching or stuttering, and is now adjustable through the Options menu in "Mouse Smoothing." It now defaults to off. If you feel the framerate is "slow" or "lumpy," please make sure that this is turned off (it helps players with sub-30 frames per second).

Improved Performance:

On CPUs with 4 threads or fewer, performance has been improved. On CPUs with 8 threads, performance has also been significantly improved.

Radeon 6xxx:

Added support for this GPU, which doesn't support OpenGL 4.5 fully.

Player Saves:

Help to recover some player saves which had been lost or corrupt.

Alt-Tab has improved:

Some systems/configs were crashing or not pausing correctly on Alt Tab. This should now be resolved.

Shader Caching:

Framerate was initially stuttering due to shaders not being correctly cached by the GPU on some systems. We have replaced the GPU caching system. You may notice some stutter during the Galactic Map intro to the game (the very first time you run), but it should be smoother from then on (this will be fixed in future). This is particularly true on ATI cards.

Max FPS Cap:

On some CPU/GPU configurations, setting Max FPS to 60 or 30 was not giving 60 or 30 FPS (causing stuttering). This has been improved.

Intel GPUs:

The game will now let you know if you are trying to run with an unsupported GPU. This will hopefully flag for some users that their high-end GPU has not been selected. We are working on Intel GPU support.

G-sync:

G-sync has been disabled by default, which was causing an issue for some users.

No Man's Sky launched last week and received a score of 7 in GameSpot's review. Critic Peter Brown said, "[If] you consider everything it has to offer and listen to what Atlas has to say, No Man's Sky becomes more than a collection of slightly different worlds in a seemingly never-ending galaxy--it becomes an examination of the meaning of life in a way that's more valuable than all the gold or starships in its virtual galaxy."

Ugh, I have the same thing going. The only person sharing my little corner of the galaxy is a tool who names everything "Jonno", which is his username minus a few numbers. C'mon son, keep the originals if you can't think of anything.
I name mine Nostremitus (insert descriptor here)

When I do name things.

Sarcasm

Thats the old stuff.

Don't think so as the last update didn't do anything in regards to SSE, even the experimental. Which affects my friend as he has the generation before AMD got the SSE that it used. This update supposedly says in patch that it fixes it. Which wasn't part of the experimental patch though.

I went to an Outpost, didn't see a landing pad so I just landed and behold it was hidden underground. If I walked off the landing pad I fell into watery nothingness. I was able to reload and grenade my way out and take off with no problem.

I am 150k way from the center, can jump at 1600 each. So 150k / 1500 to make it more realistic, that's 100 jumps away.. I'll need some more warp cores definitely and more time ofcourse.

Apt101

I accidentally nipped a giant beast with my mining laser when it burst through the other side of some element I was gathering. That was a fun run back to the ship.

Top Bottom